New advice on which paints to use

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
DaceKhan
Shas

New advice on which paints to use

Post#1 » Aug 11 2015 02:44

Well met good people of ATT, I need your opinions on a painting project, and I trust this forum of knowledge above all others.

Recently been wanting to finally start painting my Space Wolves, and I'd love to paint them Horus Heresy style, but the problems lies here, I have no idea how to do this scheme.

It looks very silvery, but I don't want them to look like Grey Knights

Any advice?
Until all are one

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: New advice on which paints to use

Post#2 » Aug 11 2015 05:12

Pre-heresy Wolf Scheme is grey, as quoted in the 40K wiki http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Wolves#Chapter_Colours
Not silvery like GK.

There are some color explanations on the web on grey wolves.
My favourite on a good website for wolfy players: http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.fr/2009/12/how-to-paint-space-wolves.html
(I prefer them slightly lighter and with a touch of blue, but this scheme seems fit yours)

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 11 2015 01:38

My style tends toward quick table-top quality using a zenital spray. Do you have an airbrush?

1. Prime Black

2. Zenital Spray:
-No Airbrush: with Krylon Grey Primer (a close match for Mechanicus Standard Grey/VGC Heavy Grey) spray from about 45 degrees to straight overhead. On the front you might want to go a little below 45 to get more grey. You have done this correctly if the model is grey except when viewed from underneath you only see black.
-With an airbrush you have the finesse to do two or more zenital coats: Darkest Gray from 45 degrees and 80/20 white/grey at say 60 degrees and up.

3. Here is a good time to paint any silver metal details.

4. Gloss Coat: this seals the zenital highlights you have created and helps the wash to flow to the recesses. (washing over matte paint can cause the dirty surface look requiring more clean up.)

5. Wash: either a black oil wash or nuln oil/secret weapon soft-body black

6. Gloss Coat: This time to protect the work you have done so far. When detail painting, if paint gets onto your finished armor, it is easily wiped off. Transfer decals are also best applied over a gloss coat

7. Detail painting/finishing: Gold/Brass of your choice with sepia wash. Fur as you wish. Lenses, etc. Decals.

8. Final Sealing: Gloss followed by Matte. A final coat of the gloss will hide the decal edges. Also, I find a matte coat applied over gloss is less likely to "frost".

Writing that out it sounds rather more complicated than it is in my head. Hope it's helpful.
- Christian

DaceKhan
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 11 2015 06:47

Very much an amateur painter, also should have mentioned in Australia, don't think I can get my hands on this Krylon stuff. But you have given me some insight, what do you use for a gloss coat? I've never done it D:
Until all are one

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 11 2015 07:09

I'm glad it helped. Don't get attached to colors too much - you need a dark grey acrylic spray paint, and a close match gray paint.

As for gloss coat, I started swearing by testors gloss hardcote but that stuff is expensive!

I've found that Future Floor Shine is amazing, widely available, and very cheap. It's so versatile.
-Straight for a gloss coat
-With ink for a wash/dip that beats army painter

There is much more about that here.
- Christian

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”