A question on Predators

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

A question on Predators

Post#1 » Mar 12 2016 09:22

Okay all of you Space Marine (of every flavor) players out there, I have a question on the Predator.
I recently started collecting Dark Angels and so far the new play style and new range of interesting models makes for a nice change of pace.
I've been trying to figure things out for my self. Get a feeling for what works for me and what's fun for me.
I've always been a tank guy so obviously I'm gonna field Predators (and whirlwinds and vindicators :P ). I didn't really put much thought into Space Marines and their application of units until I had them in my hand. And I'm perplexed by the Predator.
Standard loadout is an Autocannon nothing else. Options are to change it for a twin-linked Lascannon and to put sponsons on the sides, armed with Heavy Bolters or Lascannons. Now I get the configurations of all Lascannons, makes sense for hunting enemy vehicles of any AV. I do not get the Autocannon or the Heavy Bolters though.
Kit it out with an Autocannon and Las sponsons and you have a vehicle shooting weapons that don't complement each other.
Same goes with an Autocannon and Heavy Bolters, or twin-linked Las and Heavy Bolters.
So, when would I want to field a predator with anything else than all Las or just the bare bones of the Autocannon with no sponsons.
What are the applications of the other loadouts? I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I can't see the use. Help!
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Ko'Vash
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: A question on Predators

Post#2 » Mar 12 2016 09:50

I'm no Space Marine player, but based on my understanding of the army, a naked Predator is mostly there for cheap, mobile Strength 7 firepower in an army that didn't used to have a ton of that. All while being protected by decent armor up front. Add Heavy Bolter Sponsons and you have a decent Monstrous Creature hunter that can also make mince meat out of light vehicles like anything in the Dark Eldar army.

Of course, it's an old unit that hasn't aged well thanks to the inclusion of new, more powerful weaponry with every reiteration of the Codex. But, it can still work well with the right army composition. If you're already Las Cannon heavy thanks to a lot of Razorbacks or Devastator squads, then Autocannons and Heavy Bolters might not be bad to mix in.

So, in the end, it's all about army comp I think. It also doesn't help that Strength 7 is so ubiquitous in our own Codex, making the Space Marine's options seem less potent by comparison.

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Mar 12 2016 11:50

Ko'Vash wrote:So, in the end, it's all about army comp I think. It also doesn't help that Strength 7 is so ubiquitous in our own Codex, making the Space Marine's options seem less potent by comparison.

It really does, doesn't it? :)

Edit:
One plus that the Autocannon has is, that it looks awesome on the tank. Especially without sponsons :)
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

tehlegend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Mar 12 2016 12:27

The base barebones stock predator is probably the cheapest AV13 vehicle that i know of, and getting it just to have a durable body that is low target priority is an interesting approach. Get it to get in the way, saturate the board with cheap and durable road blocks.

But on a more serious build, auto cannons and heavy bolters is the go to format for me. it keeps the vehicle low priority enough that it can constantly pull models off the field the whole game, and earn its points worth over time... especially if other sources are raining down anti-armor or ap1-3 shots elsewhere. the 8 shots it puts out on AV13 is less than 100 points, so its a pretty reliable rugged little box. the second it gets las cannons on it, it tends to become higher priority, and goes down faster.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#5 » Mar 12 2016 05:38

Circa 4th edition, I used to run a few marine armies (Blood Angels, Space Wolves, and Ultramarines) and the Predator was a great choice at that time. I ran a full Lascannon loadout in my BA's army and it rang in slightly less than a 10 man basic tactical squad. In my Swolves list I ran an Autocannon/Las sponson version as at that time you could have a Leman Russ with twin Autocannons. I don't remember the specifics, but I ran both tanks and typically camped the Pred in cover and just ping'd enemy Russ's, Hammerheads and Falcons.

History aside, and as noted previously by others, it is a great medium troop and light vehicle killer. Autocannon with HB sponsons will ruin most Guard, Eldar, and Tau infantry caught in the open. Triple Lascannons will burn through wraithlords/termies predictably and there are many more worthy adversaries since I played. A storm bolter is a worthy addition to the anti-troop type, and a HK missile to the Las-type.

BurningEye
Shas

Post#6 » Mar 13 2016 11:09

Ko'Vash wrote:So, in the end, it's all about army comp I think. It also doesn't help that Strength 7 is so ubiquitous in our own Codex, making the Space Marine's options seem less potent by comparison.
[quote]

When I build a list I take a final look and see what I may be missing. This unit is cheap enough and easily configured to play multiple roles. Sounds light a Crisis suit, right? Think about it that way and that might help.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Mar 14 2016 12:31

Are you really comparing the predator to q crisis suit?

Aaaanyway
Pred is a tank. People underestimate tanks for some reason in theses days, and that's one big edge.
"But it dies to melta!", yea, so what? How much dedicated AT do you actually pack in your lists?
As someone from armor heavy meta let me tell you that-if you got only a handful of AT solutions (say, 2 fusion suits and a random riptide fusion), and a list that packs more tanks than you got fusion shows up, you gonna have a bad time.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Mar 14 2016 03:13

Haha odd question here on ATT - the subsection, advanced marines tactica :eek:

Anyway in 5th ed I ran almost exclusively Salamanders. Due to their troops all carrying short range weapons (melta/flamers) I thought I may need some long range firepower to do some damage before the mainstay of my forces arrived by pods. Therefore I ran two Autolas predator builds and a thunderfire cannon. The Autolas was great in 5th with mass light transport spam, and was useful against Tyranidzilla builds too.

I still think the Autolas can do a number but with lots of jetbikes all over the place and Wraithknights and storm surges probably going either dedicated autocannon/heavy bolter to take out bikes etc, or the full lascannon build for big stuff killing will be better choices.

That's the crux of it - it's not a bad tank, but with the ever expanded meta game these days it struggles to fit into a take-all-comers marine list. Especially comparing to centurions, bike command squads or even sternguard in utility.
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”