[Alternate Systems] Warmachine & Hordes

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Ray
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [Alternate Systems] Warmachine

Post#127 » Apr 06 2009 11:26

Stormcaller3801 wrote:It's open! It's up! It's here!

am I surprised by the lag? Not one bit. Privateer probably lost that server in no time flat.

If someone does manage to get a copy of the mk 2 rules, could they post a link on megaupload?
You either give up or give hell.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#128 » Apr 06 2009 11:54

I'll see what I can do when I get home: my work connection is ADSL, so uploading's about 56k.

However, lunch is in about 2 minutes. :)

Edit: Useful information- point costs have severely changed. Game sizes are much more variable, and about 10% of previous values. A 2 warcaster game caps out at 100 points. My old 500 point Cryx pirate army now logs in at 28 points.
The Most Important Rule: BRB pg.2

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#129 » Apr 06 2009 12:13

Alright, should be able to go to this link and get the files.

RevRanDoM
Por'O
Por'O

Post#130 » Apr 07 2009 09:41

I haven't made it very far into the new rules yet, but I like what they've done with the point system, especially the free "warjack points."

In the past, in a lot of my Warmachine games, I always seemed to find myself going with more and more infantry and less warjacks just because it seemed like my opponents were doing the same. I really hated how it seemed like the warmachines just weren't that useful in Warmachine. Now it feels like warjacks are going to return to the forefront of the battle. I definitely excited to see how things play out now. :)

Very cool of PP to do this. It's a very interesting business model, if you ask me. :)

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#131 » Apr 07 2009 10:20

I haven't had a chance to go through the rules at length, or get in a game, so I don't know how much things have changed. I do know that there's some big changes in things like formation, status effects, and power attacks. Particularly trample: the fact warjacks can now trample through units without suffering free strikes suggests that they're going to be very useful counters to infantry-heavy armies.

From statements made on the forum it looks like game totals are closer to 1/20th of the existing- Doug Seacat suggested 25 point games for people who like 500pt Mk I, and 35pt games for those who like 750pt Mk I.

It's certainly easier to expand upwards- you can slowly go from a 15pt game up through 100, adding 10-15 point increments, and then bringing in that second warcaster. That's great; you could start out with a battle box and then add a unit or two as you move upwards in point values, painting new things and getting them on the tabletop in standard size games. Going from a 75pt single warcaster game to a 100pt two warcaster game is likely to involve only another battlegroup. Which also means you could get 75 points of a faction, add a mercenary warcaster with battlegroup, then expand your mercs up to 75 points, getting you to a 150pt two warcaster game. Which would probably be about as big as you'd want to go for an evening's play.

Most of the complaints I'm hearing are aesthetic (such as the switch to symbols), or people who are unhappy things don't work the same way they used to. I think it should work out once people are familiar with this system.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#132 » Apr 09 2009 10:13

So with a few days to digest the rules and stats, what do other people think? I haven't had a chance to dig through everything or get in a game, but I'm positive overall. It feels like the switch from 2nd to 3rd edition 40k- there's a lot of changes but it's still, at its core, the same game.

Ray
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#133 » Apr 09 2009 11:14

From what I've read, they've made every unit better or different. I use different instead of 'nerfed' because you just have to think of the models in a different way. For example, the gun mages, the dude and the captain adept lost some of their unique abilities but now have gained new tricks which make them very competitive (magical weapons, arcane inferno is now a CRA with a template).

The changes to warjacks has made them all competitive and some of the models which people would never consider are now becoming 2nd or even top tier depending on the list.

I'm studying for exams so my glances are topical but it appears that the biggest problem I foresee is the new LOS rules. Now that models are grouped into standard heights for standard base sizes, more conversions can be done but in-game measurements may be more tricky if you now need 1.75, 2.00 and 2.75 inch tall pieces. I'm sure that this is much easier in-game.
You either give up or give hell.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#134 » Apr 09 2009 11:23

Just cursory glances, too, but I'm liking what I'm seeing. Unfortunately, I'm in an odd spot - learn MKI then learn MKII, or just start with MKII. I'm leaning towards the second, but it means eight months with no artwork on my cards.

Measuring LoS: you could always make sticks that were just the right height, or measure the terrain instead. I like the standardization of LoS - it doesn't penalize modeling, and it makes sense.
++TFTD: He who promises peace, promises damnation.++

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#135 » Apr 09 2009 11:46

The LOS rules are actually being rewritten- official commentary from PPS_DC said to use the Mk I rules for LOS between models and the Mk II volume rules for figuring out what you can see in terms of terrain features. I think this is a decent compromise, and agree about the modeling aspect- this is doubly true when you have things like the Warpwolf vs the Warpwolf Extreme- same stats, but you'd need skyscrapers on the table to hide the latter.

As for Mk I versus Mk II, I'd say go with Mk II unless you're going to be entering tournaments before January. Those, as I understand it, are going to stay Mk I until the release of the books. Lots of people seem to be expecting Mk II to take over casual gaming unless playing against Hordes opponents. I don't know what the environment is around your area, so that might be worth taking into consideration.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#136 » Apr 09 2009 01:32

We have images of new card art for Mk II:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#137 » Apr 09 2009 03:02

You beat me to it! I'm a little disappointed - I really like the large, richly colored cards of the current edition.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#138 » Apr 09 2009 03:11

There's a lot of people suggesting that the artwork should be made larger, so we'll see what happens there. I don't think it's open for player input, but we'll see.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#139 » Apr 10 2009 08:13

The Line of Sight and Unit Formation rules have been updated, along with a long list of typos in the cards. All of the updated files are now available at the field test site, here.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#140 » Apr 24 2009 02:05

There was never any doubt, but that does make me want to start a Retribution army in addition to everything else.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#141 » May 07 2009 07:28

Currently, Privateer is doing a sort of 'Ten Days of Christmas in May' thing with the Retribution of Scyrah- every day they're revealing another section of the cover art for the faction book, which will be released in September. So far they're like nothing that's been seen before... or like everything we've seen before. So far people have said they look like Eldar (not surprising), Tau, Necrons, and Space Marines with Heavy Bolters.

You can keep up with the daily reveals here, including the three that have been done so far.

Right now we have what looks like a Mage Hunter and some sort of armored gun line with really big guns.

Also worth noting: the Retribution forcebook will be using MkII rules- but the MkI rules will be released in No Quarter Magazine. Which suggests possibly the July issue- although I'm expecting it to be multiple issues, with July being more of a teaser.

It's also worth noting we now have cover art for No Quarter #24:

Unfortunately the 'Warmachine goes digital' part seems to exclusively be what we've already seen- just using the Warmachine world to demonstrate software, no full game involved.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#142 » May 12 2009 03:02

And we now know what Iosan Myrmidons (their equivalent of warjacks) look like.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#143 » May 12 2009 03:08

Wow, it's a... steampunk Wraithlord? Carrying Soul Edge?

That's pretty cool, actually.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#144 » May 13 2009 02:55

Possibly the Retribution's first warcaster. But maybe not.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”