[Alternate Systems] Warmachine & Hordes

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Re: [Alternate Systems] Warmachine

Post#145 » May 13 2009 03:00

And he looks like Big-O!

Now, I'm just kidding. I'm really excited for this release. The 4 armies of WM are very well balanced, but not so much that a unique 5th race couldn't be created. I wonder if any of the new models will be in plastic, following the Bastions' lead?
++TFTD: He who promises peace, promises damnation.++

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#146 » May 13 2009 03:57

I'm expecting that a majority of them will be, if not all of them. The constant rise of metal prices means that they're already planning to switch over large chunks of the existing line, and I expect that it will be whatever makes sense in terms of production costs. If $8000 for a plastic-making mold is going to be a reasonable investment for a model, they'll do it. If it's not fiscally sound, they'll go with the usual $300 for a pewter one. The higher the metal prices go, the more reasonable the switch to plastic is going to be, and the more models will transfer over.

I'm anticipating that at this point, we'll probably see all medium-based and larger models switched over, except for the ones that are FA:C. Small based models that have full 10-man squads in them are probably going to see it as well. As you get into the smaller units and character models, it seems less viable. What about the Merc units that are led by characters? Maybe it'll be a mix. Maybe it won't.
The Most Important Rule: BRB pg.2

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#147 » May 14 2009 12:00

Woah-oh, the most recent addition (which you can see on the left here, but which SC will undoubtedly post in a moment) is my favorite yet.

And it looks as if the central character will be a real badass.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#148 » May 14 2009 01:04

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#149 » May 15 2009 01:43

And finally, the full cover of the Retribution of Scyrah forcebook, due out in September, and the first forcebook for Warmachine MkII:

These are definitely not your average elves.

Matt Wilson wrote:I couldn't wait any longer so I had Webmaster Daryl lift the curtain the rest of the way. Isn't it beautiful?

So, I've been following this thread all week but wanted to wait until the full piece was exposed before giving any comments. I'm not down for a Q&A, but I do have a bunch of random info I'll throw out there, in no particular order and with no particular agenda...just stuff that has caught my eye throughout the discussion.

BTW, when GW releases a new faction, who do they get compared to? ;)

First off, let me say that though this cover features a TON of awesomeness, what you're seeing here is only scratching the surface of what's in the Retribution book. This is a full blown faction with everything it needs to give you all the competitive options desired for army building. Don't even imagine that you've seen it all -- there are many more surprises in store.

Also, the cover was done by the amazing Andrea Uderzo. His work is simply fantastic, and he's bringing WARMACHINE to life through our Mk II publications like you have never seen before. If you like this cover, get ready for a whole slew of new ones, as he'll be covering every Forces of WARMACHINE book as well as the Mk II book in the future, and the images are just off the freaking hook. Seriously, I've gotten choked up looking at them. They make my heart race. But his work isn't just on the covers. The Retribution of Scyrah book is packed with his illustrations, and his work will be all over the books through next year as well. Get ready for some jaw dropping imagery. Andrea is taking us places that I thought I'd only ever see in my own imagination.

Now, for any of those who haven't figure it out yet, there is only ONE warcaster featured on the cover. You've got a couple solos, a couple examples of Myrmidons, and a bunch of other cool units and stuff. Again, this is just a taste. There is so much more where this came from.

On that note, I want to take my hat off to Chris Walton, staff concept artist. I think that this is actually the first book, and definitely, the first faction, that I personally didn't do any concept work for. Chris is responsible for every bolt, blade and badass that you'll see in the Retribution, and I've got to say that I'm in love with every single one of his designs. Which is good, because I put him through the ringer on this stuff. Chris spent months just exploring different ideas, shapes, themes and styles to bring the Retribution together, and this was no easy task. We'd discuss designs, experiment with different approaches, and he took my very difficult, if not sometimes uncertain direction with the grace and enthusiasm that only a truly talented professional like himself could muster. When we started, we didn't have a clue where this was going to end up, and Chris has probably got as many pages of stuff you'll never see as he does finished work. This faction, more than any other that has come before it, truly embodies a singular vision, and you'll see that in the final composition of the army. We wanted something that was very uniform, very stylized, completely different from any other faction, and yet had the tech-fantasy look that we wanted to bring to life. When you look at the Retribution, you'll see an army that was conceived of with a purpose, like none of the others so far. There's no goofing around here, these guys are all business, and it shows. It was an incredible amount of work, and in the grand scheme of things, done on a ridiculously rigorous timeline, and it was all Chris Walton.

Following this thread has been great. I see a lot of excited players, and that's really satisfying to us. We knew, by the nature of what the Retribution was supposed to be and the fact that we'd barely seen the tiniest glimpse of Iosans so far, that we were going to be throwing out some radical new content in the Iron Kingdoms. The point was to really make them stand apart to shine the light on the disparity between the Iosans and the human kingdoms. They have so very little in common, of course they're going to want to exterminate each other! That said, we knew some people wouldn't be into the stuff as well, and that's a good thing because if everyone all of a sudden starts playing Retribution, the battlefield is going to get a little monotonous. More than anything, though, I want to say how pleased I am at how it has come together. While we're always concerned with what our audience will think, we first and foremost believe in being true to ourselves. I can honestly say that I don't know of a single person at Privateer who isn't completely psyched by how the Retribution has turned out.

Bill Cosby has a great quote: "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."

So, we set out to please ourselves, and my theory is, that because we are a lot like you, then a lot of you are going to be pleased as well. That's how we approach everything, and so far, I think it's working.

Viva la Retribution!

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#150 » May 15 2009 01:58

Thanks for the excerpted quote! It really added something.

Ray
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#151 » May 23 2009 12:23

Is anyone participating in the Call to Arms league which started last monday? I was hoping we could get some battle reports in (or at the very least, some highlights).

Right now, I am using Kraye in my Cygnar army and loving the mobility and firing power he gives my jacks. I played a game last night with the "here be monsters" scenario and had my monster Defender Full tilt up to Goreshade for a win.
You either give up or give hell.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#152 » Jun 04 2009 06:52

Dawnlord Vyros
Warcaster Kaelyss, Night's Whisper
Chimera Myrmidon
Hydra Heavy Myrmidon
Manticore Heavy Myrmidon
Phoenix Heavy Myrmidon
Dawnguard Invictors
Gorgon Myrmidon
Griffon Myrmidon

All of the above are due out in September. Which suggests they may be available at Gencon.

Oh yes- and just to share a rather useful bit of information, here's how some of the above products are listed:

【PIP0909N】Retribution Heavy Myrmidon Plastic Kit(1)

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#153 » Jun 04 2009 09:30

What do you guys think? I like their look, though I think the conventional scheme will be too hard for me to paint; if I get any, they'll be paint grey - or I even read about a suggestion of mahogany and brass.

And: plastic interchangeable kits for the wind. At the least, I'll have bitz to put under the feet of my Cyngar 'jacks!

EDIT:

And here's one I dug up, one Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#154 » Jun 04 2009 10:26

My original intent was to go with a teal base color, using black for most of the cloth and white for a tertiary color, for things like the edging on Vyros' tabard. I think that should work out wonderfully here, particularly if I use Coal Black to get a bluish black going.

I'm not terribly fond of all the details, but I am happily surprised at the myrmidons and proud of the fact I saw the Invictors' weapons as something other than a gunblade. It's fairly clear they are not, now.

I'm not sure why Kaelyss' arrow gun is painted up in T'au colors though...

Ray
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#155 » Jun 04 2009 09:29

The painter was probably trying to make the crossbow look like wood..

Looking at the Myrmidons, I really like the models. They give a Gue-meleth (escaflowne) vibe. The hands bother me, though. Not only are they disproportionately small compared to the bodies, a number of their models have two open fists. They wont fight enemy jacks but use them as bowling balls against enemy troops.

Overall, I like the style and would consider purchasing at least one Myrmidon for painting. I bet they would make for nice Wraithlord proxies too.
You either give up or give hell.

Panhead
Shas

Post#156 » Jun 05 2009 01:41

Well. I was looking forward to buying a second faction..

But then I saw these..

I guess I can see why people would like them, but there are a lot of odd design choices.

The massive codpieces and ridiculous leg anatomy on the myrmidons (although the upper bodies are quite nice, and the legs on the heavies are alright).

The infantry look fantastic.. but they throw in a few without helmets... Crazy hair and baldie just look wrong? Almost like an out of place conversion to me.. (no insult to the sculptor, I can see why they'd want some helmetless heads in a squad.. but I'd rather have a somewhat boring, but cohesive squad rather than having a couple of troops that I'd always try to get killed so I don't have to use them..)

They changed Kaelyss' pose, ballooned her head, and got rid of a lot of the nice "lines" compared to the concept art (which I really liked, but now you get your standard "I raise my sword at you angrily!" pose). And the Dawnlord.. well. He's the only one with very little going for him.. (sword doesn't rest on his shoulder, the bird doesn't really look like a hawk, and his head suffers from the same problems as the invictors and kaelyss..)

Maybe I'm being too harsh, and I suppose I could be convinced when I see them in person, but right now.. I'm kinda let down.

I guess concepts and art can only be taken so far? Comparing these guys to say, the Narn model, and they're lacking a lot of the character I usually see with other privateer models.. (barring the invictors with helmets.. they look fantastic)
It's the imperfections that make something unique

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#157 » Jun 06 2009 08:08

Houseguard Riflemen Concept Art

Companies of riflemen have joined the Retribution in number and serve as the long-reaching line for the army abroad. They wield heavy rifles capable of delivering punishing firepower against the human armies that so greatly outnumber them. Rather than haphazardly firing into the enemy, a rifleman is trained to take careful aim and regard each trigger pull as a prospective kill.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#158 » Jun 10 2009 04:49

Privateer Press has updated with fluff descriptions of the Retribution of Scyrah models - as well as the very awesome 360°! Hurrah!

Out of this, two things strike me:
- The 360° view betrays just how stiffly the PP crew modeled their showcase Myrmidons. I'm not complaining about the models, persay - dynamic posing is always possible, and the plastic Heavy Myrmidons makes me even more hopeful. However, I think it would have been better for everyone if the new units didn't look so... arthritic.
- The fluff pieces have explained that the Retribution does have ranged warjacks - those ranged weapons just aren't the obvious cannons and guns and mortars of the other army, but I guess some sort of particle beam or laser coming from their glaives and gloves. Honestly, up till this information was posted I thought the Retribution might have only melee-oriented 'jacks. I'm a little disappointed - I wish the army had more obvious guns.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#159 » Jun 10 2009 07:53

I would be cautious about assuming that the plastics will allow for a large amount of posability; I can't say for certain with regards to the warjacks, but the Exemplar Bastions are designed with fixed positions in mind. They used a peg-and-hole system that involved oddly shaped holes. Now granted, this was also for models that all had two-handed weapons (meaning you needed to get the positioning just right anyways) and the loss of posability was offset with arms that would fit any torso (so you can have 10 different combinations of arms and stances), so it may not hold true. But there's no guarantees that we'll be able to set up these guys however we want without taking a knife to them.

Notice that the legs and torso angles on all three heavies are the same. That may be due to a single body being painted up and the arms, head being separate pieces swapped out between shots (which might be the case- a casual look says the bases all look very similar), but it might not.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#160 » Jun 10 2009 07:29

Fair point indeed.

I just followed my own advice, and checked out the 360o-views of the heavy myrmidon (Hydra/Manticore/Phoenix), and I'm sold. They're almost too streamlined in the front, but the exhaust tubes and exposed metal in the back really brings them back down into the IK universe.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#161 » Jun 16 2009 03:29

Privateer Press has posted an in medias res photo of a fight between the Retribution of Scyrah and Khador. Be careful, it's pretty big! A few of my thoughts on the matter:
- We finally get to see what the Dawnguard Sentinel models look like! They're the ones cresting over the hill running the length of the picture. I think they look really sharp, especially the running model.
- I also think that the Sentinels are led by an as-yet unannounced female warcaster - or at least a solo, given that Vryos is front-and-center in the photo. She's on the right half of the picture, standing by the ruined Iosan column, carrying some sort of two-headed axe weapon. From what I can tell, it's a really badass model.
- In action, the myrmidons look pretty neat.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#162 » Jun 20 2009 11:45

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”