1500pts - Tau vs Chaos

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

1500pts - Tau vs Chaos

Post#1 » Sep 19 2017 09:45

So I actually won my first solo match of 8th edition the other day against Chaos. It was admittedly quite a lot of luck. We played corner deployment, we played without a twist and the game mode was supply cache.

I managed to sieze initiative and through a very lucky roll, the supply cache was directly on an objective I had control of in my deployment zone, so pretty much all of my force was in a very handy defensive position. From that point onwards, it was a case of surviving everything he had to throw at me. I also gained a new found respect for Terminators, as they survived 100+ Pulse Rifle shots before being downed.

My list was as follows:

Spoiler!
Battalion Detachment, +3 CP

HQ

Cadre Fireblade, 42pts
Commander in Coldstar (ATS, Target Lock), 148pts
Darkstrider, 45pts

Troops

Breacher Team (9 x Warriors, 1 x Shas'ui), 80pts
Strike Team (8 x Warriors, 1 x Shas'ui), 72pts
Strike Team (8 x Warriors, 1 x Shas'ui), 72pts

Elites

XV104 Riptide (2 x FB, ATS, Target Lock) + 2 MV84 Drones, 376pts
XV8 Crisis (2 x FB + Shield Gen, 2 x CIB + ATS, 2 x CIB + ATS) + 4 Gun Drones, 2 Shield Drones, 312pts

Fast Attack

Pathfinders (7 x Pathfinders, 1 x Shas'ui) + Pulse Accel, Grav Inhib, 80pts

Flyer

AX39 Sun Shark, 167pts

Fortification Network

Tidewall Droneport + 4 x Marker Drones, 110pts

Total: 1504 points

The Cadre Fireblade along with the Pulse Accel drone worked amazingly with the Fire Warrior teams, which is what I expected. One team originally started off in the Droneport to act as a buffer to stop the Terminators and Khorne Berserkers from getting too close. Luckily, it did exactly that as well as providing some BS2+ Marker support, which allowed my Pathfinders to focus on other targets, such as a Dreadnought and Noise Marines.

The bomber was once again devastating against the marine groups and it managed to do a fair punch to the Terminator squads, which was great seeing as they were by far the biggest threat in my eyes once the Berserkers had been dealt with.

Thanks to the Fireblade and the sheer number of Fire Warriors, the Berserkers and other Marine squads didn't manage to get close enough to do any real damage. The Breachers were good against the Terminators but naturally being that close was a near death sentence. Thankfully, Darkstrider distracted them a little and they chose to charge her instead which meant I could retreat her and then open up on them with the Breachers.

Now, as for the Riptide... It was excellent! Despite the bad rep they appear to get on here, it did an absolutely amazing job. I thought the mortal wound when using the Nova Reactor was bad at first, but when you realise the thing has 14 Wounds and doesn't drop a profile until 7 remaining, you may as well go for it really! I chose the Heavy Burst Cannon and along with the ATS, it tore near enough everything to shreds. At 376 points, I'm convinced it managed to easily earn that back.

The Crisis suits kitted out with CIBs were fantastic, perfect for anti-elite and also some anti-tank. They managed to down a Dreadnought and a Rhino and only suffered the loss of the drones (and 1 suit after they got charged by a Captain of some kind I think?).

So my main takeaway from this battle was that Riptides are still great, we've just got to remember they're a little more balanced now considering how ridiculous they were in 7th for their cost. Fireblades and Fire Warriors are wonderful things and the Sun Shark and Droneport are excellent pieces of kit.
Last edited by Ghostly Daemon on Sep 20 2017 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Re: 1500pts - Tau vs Space Wolves

Post#2 » Sep 20 2017 01:20

Wait did you play against space wolves or chaos?
You mention berzerkers.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Sep 20 2017 05:12

fraction64 wrote:Wait did you play against space wolves or chaos?
You mention berzerkers.

Really corrupt Space Wolves maybe? There's a Dark Angels joke in here somewhere. Anyway, it looks like they played the game against Chaos, or else it was doubles against Space Wolves / Chaos.

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 20 2017 10:46

Arka0415 wrote:
You mention berzerkers.

Really corrupt Space Wolves maybe? There's a Dark Angels joke in here somewhere. Anyway, it looks like they played the game against Chaos, or else it was doubles against Space Wolves / Chaos.

I was under the impression it was Space Wolves but could've been wrong, he tends to use the same models for his Chaos forces as well as Space Wolves, so it's pretty hard to tell for someone who's not been playing long enough to really know!
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Sep 20 2017 06:36

Ghostly Daemon wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
You mention berzerkers.

I was under the impression it was Space Wolves but could've been wrong, he tends to use the same models for his Chaos forces as well as Space Wolves, so it's pretty hard to tell for someone who's not been playing long enough to really know!

Sounds like heresy- any Inquisition or Grey Knights players around? If so, you should probably let them know!

Return to “Battle Reports”