Olannon's Guide to Battle Chronicler

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Olannon
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Olannon's Guide to Battle Chronicler

Post#1 » Apr 14 2013 10:22

The goal of this guide is to allow people to create battle reports that are nice to read, with diagrams and lots of detail. Naturally, this makes for way better reports compared to purely text-based ones, which in turn allows the author to get better feedback. Thus, it is a win-win situation. My apologies for using Warhammer Fantasy in the example images, this guide was made quite some time ago and I don`t think it adds much to replace them with 40k pictures instead: you should get the picture :)

Welcome to this guide to Battle Chronicler, a great software tool for making Warhammer and Warhammer 40.000 battle reports. Unfortunately, it only works on Windows so those of you running other operating systems will have to find a replacement or emulate win7+ ;)

:: Getting Started ::

Battle Chronicler is essentially a tailor-made battle reports program for games like Warhammer. It's based on the .NET framework from Microsoft and is only available as a desktop application (i.e. you cannot use it through a webinterface). The download link can be found here: click. Also make sure you download the basic terrain package (essential for re-creating just about anything): click

Once you've downloaded Battle Chronicler, you can install it and start it. The following window should appear:

Congratulations - you're now ready to start using the program :)

:: Battle Chronicler Basics - Setting Up Armies and Game Info ::

Once you've opened the program, click 'File' in the upper-left corner and select 'New'. The following window should appear:

Let's discuss this picture for a second. The default values here are as follows: the game lasts for 6 turns, the table is 6x4 feet, Army A starts on the North side and gets first turn. The table colour is green, Army A is red, Army B is blue. Please note that all these values can easily be changed and often times, we forget to do so. Because of this I advice that you take a couple of seconds now to make sure everything is correct.

After you're done with the basics of the game, it's time to define the armies. Both Army A and Army B has an option called 'Define', next to 'Import'. Now, if this is your first time using Battle Chronicler, you have nothing to import! Let's take a look at what happens when you select 'Define':

The main thing you need to understand here is how an army is created. The 'New' button in the lower-left corner creates a new unit. You can then fill out the unit's size, name, base size etc. When you're done, I suggest you click 'Create Template'. This allows you to import this file later on, so that you don't need to define the army every single time you're making a battle report. Handy indeed!

Once you've done this for both armies, you're ready to start making the actual diagrams which you'll be (hopefully) posting online to complement your notes.

:: Using Battle Chronicler To Simulate Deployment and Game Turns ::

Having completed the armies and filled out the game information, you're ready to click 'ok'. The following screen appears:

Now, you select the terrain you want from the menu on your left. When you're done, do NOT start placing the armies. Do you notice the bar beneath the white 'Terrain' header? This bar controls which part of the game you're in (e.g. terrain, deployment etc). As such, simply hit the arrow to the right of this bar when you're done with terrain and you'll get to deployment.

When you're done with deployment, it should look roughly like this (but the word 'Locked' should not appear: this word appears when you go back so that any changes won't affect future turns):

Now if you've gotten this far, the rest is a piece of cake: hit the right arrow on the bar to advance to the next game turn. Moving units is easy and self-explanatory, simply drag'n'drop them to where they moved etc. Also note that you have a plethora of options on your left-hand side: such as decreasing the unit's size, marking a unit as charging, placing a blast marker etc.

:: Closing Notes ::

I advice that you save the game in battle chronicler regularly (so that you don't lose any work if you accidentally lose power/exit the program or whatever). This can be done by clicking 'File' and 'Save'. Now, to export all these diagrams, simply hit 'File' and 'Export to Image File'. I find that in order to get diagrams that convey enough information while not being too large for most laptops, 900x600 pixels is a good size. To get the images on this forum, you need to host them online. Personally, I use photobucket. It does what it's supposed to but there might be better ones out there. For me, photobucket provides everything I need.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply in this thread or send me a pm. I will gather the most typical questions people have in the post below.
Last edited by Olannon on Apr 14 2013 10:40, edited 2 times in total.
A new and unique style of Tau competitive list - click ;)

Olannon
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: Olannon's Guide to Battle Chronicler

Post#2 » Apr 14 2013 10:22

.::. Frequently Asked Questions .::.

Q: Thanks a lot for the guide! Do you know of any others like this?
A: You can check out the official one from BC on their website: clicky

Q: Can I create custom components for Battle Chronicler? If yes, how?
A: This link has a nice step-by-step guide to making and importing your very own pieces of terrain, markers etc using Battle Chronicler's Component interface: clicky

Last edited by Olannon on Apr 15 2013 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

Olannon
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#3 » Apr 14 2013 10:27

Placeholder for conventions

Pantherus
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 14 2013 01:29

Really useful - I'd found Battle Chronicler but not the terrain package or a decent tutorial. Thanks!

Pantherus
Kill it with XV8, the Railgun is dead.

Olannon
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#5 » Apr 15 2013 01:58

No worries - hoping to see reports of yours as well, Pantherus :)

I've updated the FAQ reply, see the second post.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Apr 15 2013 02:16

Very nice and very helpful, but do you know where people are getting all them sweet unit icons? (the ones that make the units look like the actual models)

Olannon
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#7 » Apr 15 2013 03:05

boomwolf wrote:Very nice and very helpful, but do you know where people are getting all them sweet unit icons? (the ones that make the units look like the actual models)

No, unfortunately I have not. I don't think I've ever seen it at all actually. Do you have any examples?

Pantherus
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 15 2013 03:17

boomwolf wrote:Very nice and very helpful, but do you know where people are getting all them sweet unit icons? (the ones that make the units look like the actual models)

I think quite a few of these are made using rival Vassal, which had a 40k download and at one point could basically play Warhammer on the computer with it.

The problem with Vassal is that GW have decided to revoke its license to do this, so you'd need to install the 40k module from a 3rd party. I'm not sure if any folk here know somewhere reliable to do this, but right now I'd prefer a better verified Battle Chronicler.

Would it be possible to add units the way people have made terrain (top down photos)? Time consuming but could be neat.

Pantherus
Kill it with XV8, the Railgun is dead.

Ictoagn
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 16 2013 07:22

Good idea posting this, Olannon. It really is a nice tool for writing up reports. It feels a little better suited for fantasy, but should still work in 40k. From the description on their site, it looks like you can use a top-down picture of the model, but I have no idea how you would go about it.

On the subject of Vassal, I have found that Vassal 40k to be an effective third-party module.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Jul 24 2013 02:32

I know this is an old thread, but I have a few advanced questions about Chronicler.

#1 Shooting. is there any way to show that a unit is shooting another unit? So that we can show who is targeting who. The closest thing I've found was the "Line of Sight" line. There is a "Shooting" check box as well, but I haven't figured out how it helps.

#2 Casualties. I've seen some people with little explosions for each casualty but can't duplicate the effect in my own reports. The best I can do is remove models.

#3 Thrust move. There may not be an answer for this, since the thrust move is essentially a 2nd move. Is there a way to show a unit moving twice in the same turn in order to simulate the JSJ?

Thanks to anyone who has some answers. I'd like to become better with Battle Chronicler and make my reports more informative. It's harder to use than Vassal but I think the effort and visuals are worth it

Return to “Battle Reports”