[BAT.REP] 1750pts Farsight vs 2000pts Chaos (picture heavy)

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

[BAT.REP] 1750pts Farsight vs 2000pts Chaos (picture heavy)

Post#1 » Nov 03 2013 06:57

Hello all.
Now this will be my first battle report here with pictures and overview schematics.
First of all I played against a new found friend, and we did play the game with me at 250 pts lower due to the fact that I have more experience and he doesn't know much about the Tau forces. He has fought them a few time before.
So I would to urge that people don't insult me or my opponent in anyway if you find our moves or tactics un-agreeable with yours. If you have something to say, please do so with respect.

FARSIGHT ENCLAVE 1750 POINTS

HQ
Farsight

O'vesa

Commander

Twin-linked fusion blaster, fusion blades, plasma rifle, target lock

TROOPS
Crisis suits team

Shas'vre: Two flamers, plasma rifle
Shas'ui: Flamer, plasma rifle, vectored retro-thrusters
Shas'ui: Two fusion blasters, target lock

Crisis suit team (3 members)
Fusion blaster, plasma rifle on all, and one vectored retro-thruster

Crisis suit team (3 members)
Two missile pods on two of them, last one with one missile pod and drone controller. Target lock on all, and 6 marker drones

HEAVY SUPPORT
Broadside team (3 members)

High yield missile pods, velocity tracker and seeker missiles

Broadside team (3 members)
High yield missile pods, velocity tracker and one suit with a seeker

CHAOS SPACE MARINES 2000 POINTS

HQ
Demon prince

Wings, demon axe weapon... name?, lvl 3 psyker

Sorcerer
Bike, lvl 3 sorcerer

TROOPS
Space marines (10 members)

Icon of excess, feel no pain icon

Cultist (10 members)

Cultist (10 members)

ELITE
Noice marines

sonic weapons, and two blast masters

Noice marines
sonic weapons, and two blast masters

FAST ATTACK
Helldrake

Bale flame

Bikers (6 members)
Mark of nurgle, 2 meltaguns

HEAVY SUPPORT
Defiler

Havocs (5 members?)

auto cannons

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [BAT.REP] 1750pts Farsight vs 2000pts Chaos (picture heavy)

Post#2 » Nov 03 2013 06:57

Chaos won the roll off and he made me go first (as he know I love going second due to many reasons... counter deployment and such).
So I deployed my forces as I usually do, expecting to go second.
Night fight was in effect, and that helped me. And the deployment was vanguard strike (diagonal).
So I deployed my broadsides on one flank each, one in cover and the other in the open. I figured he didn't have that much low AP weapons so I could do that.
O'vesa joined 3 crisis suits with plasma/fusion and deployed next to a central ruin in my deployment.
Missile pod suit with drones hid behind the ruin, breaking line of sight.
Farsight, commander and 3 suits with a variation of weapons started as reserves.

Chaos deployed his bikers on the west flank along with the sorcerer. Behind them cultists.
Next up was the defiler between two ruins, and infront of him was a unit of noice marines. The demon prince hid behind the ruin next to the defiler.
In the central ruin in his deployment his havocs deployed. East of that ruin a chaos space marine unit deployed.
And finally on the east flank another unit of noice marines.
His hell drake and one unit of cultists started as reserves.

Oh, and the weird apothecary symbols on the schematic are objective markers. We rolled 4 objectives, worth 3 vp each.

CHAOS TURN 1
He seized the initiative and went first. Not me against, as I want last turn to regroup and counter objectives or grab them more safely.
He went on the advance with all but his havocs. Bikes shot at my broadsides, and scored 2 wounds, and I failed one save...
Rest of the army focus fired on my O'vesa unit. The Defiler had a searchlight and lit O'vesa up. He scored a lot of wounds. The defiler alone score 5 wounds, but I save 2 of them and succeeded with 2 feel no pain. Only one wound went through. And then the luck just continued. He saved everything they threw at him. Either with his 2+ save or with his backup feel no pain.
Oh and the sorcerer casted fearless and invisibility power on his own unit. The demon prince casted 4++ save on the chaos space marines.

FARSIGHT TURN 1
I moved O'vesa forward and the wounded broadside stepped back and took cover behind his buddies.
Missile pod crisis team shot at the defiler, inflicted 5 hull points, he saved 2 of them. The marker drones marked the bikers, score 4 hits.
Broadsides on the wester flank used the marker lights and removed their cover save, and increased their BS by 2. Scored a total of 15 wounds! He lost 5 members!
O'vesa got a clear shot at the Noice marines, and he and his crisis using their plasmas killed 7 noice marines. I scattered a short distance with the Ion accelerator.
The other broadside team scored 13 wounds on the other noice marine unit. 4 died (he did save some with his feel no pain).
JSJ moves, well... O'vesa into the big ruins.

CHAOS TURN 2
He rolled for his reservs and both came in.
Helldrake rushed forward and vector strikes my broadsides, score 4 wounds and I failed one. Random hit, and took the guy in the middle. He then bale flamed my missile pod unit with marker drones. He killed 2 suits and 2 drones.
Sorcerer casted the same spells again and desperately tried to shoot at my broadsides.
Rest of his army shot at O'vesa. This time they got two wounds through (I forgot to nova charge... that would have saved me from one wound).
Demon prince made a very bold move. Basically a hit or miss move. He went into flyer mode and moved into the middle of the battle field.
He now forced me to deal with two fliers.
His defiler succeeded with "it will not die" and regained a hull point.

FARSIGHT TURN 2
This is where I got really lucky. Well not as lucky as I could have.
Anyhow. Farsight didn't arrive. Minor setback, as I was now forced to halt my march forward and wait for his arrival.
With two flyers I had to prioritise the Demon prince. The west flank broadsides opened fire, and with luck from me, and bad luck from him, he died from the broadsides alone.
This left me now free to shoot with my other broadsides at his helldrake. I used my 3 seeker missiles and brought him down.
The lone missile pod suit did nothing of note and the marker drones marked the sorcerer and the biker. Scored two hits.
O'vesa and one crisis could see the biker and the sorcerer (mind that the ruin in the middle blocked line of sight on the bottom floor). I removed his cover and scored a total or 3 wounds. All that was needed.
This turn I gained first blood and slay the warlord.
JSJ moves. O'vesa jumped back into the ruin.

CHAOS TURN 3
He continued to march on. Moving his defiler west and forward, and in line of sight of my western broadsides. He used his ordinance weapon and killed two broadsides instantly. And at the end of the turn... he succeeded with his it will not die again...
The cultist on the west flank grabbed cover in the small dead forest.
Rest of the army... well they had another go at O'vesa. Here I actually got scared and started to fend of wound onto the unit with Look out sir. I took one wound on O'vesa and lost one crisis suit.

FARSIGHT TURN 3
Farsight didn't arrive from reserve this turn either... so I had to hold my lines for yet another turn. Really wanted to start pushing forward.
Anyhow... as I didn't really fear the noice marines I decided that my eastern broadsides should try to take down the defiler. Only two could reach him though. I utterly failed here. Scoring three hits, and only one glancing, which he saved.
Marker drones lit up the chaos space marines.
O'vesa and his suits removed cover and killed 7 of them.
The lone broadside opened fire at the cultists, they went to ground, but the smart missile system did its part. In total I killed 5 of them with the broadside.
JSJ move. O'vesa back into the ruins.

CHAOS TURN 4
Defiler moved in for the kill. Shot at my lone broadside, but missed with everything but one auto cannon hit. Saved that one.
Again, the rest of the army tried their best to wound O'vesa. As I was down to my last wound I fended of the wounds inflicted on them. I lost one shielded missile drone and one wound inflicted on a crisis suit.

FARSIGHT TURN 4
Farsight finally arrived... And this is is where I performed the Mont'ka.
The lone broadside used his seeker and opened fire at the defiler. By luck I actually destroyed the defiler, so now the commander and a crisis with fusion blasters who arrived were free to shoot at something else.
So, farsight and 2 crisis armed with flamers and plasmas, basically turned the cultists into barbecue. The commander and a crisis suit with fusions took out the noice marines next to them. When they were done with that, they used their assault move to move closer to the havocs ruin.
Marker drones lit up the chaos space marines, O'vesa and his crisis rolled really badly. They only killed two.
Eastern broadsides opened fire at the other unit of noice marines, and took out 4 of them.
JSJ moves. O'vesa towards the eastern objective, Farsight, well towards the havocs ruin, and the missile pod suit towards the central objective.

CHAOS TURN 5
Knowing that the battle was lost, he still carried on as a brave soldier.
Cultists shot at Farsight, no luck there. And they didn't want to charge into flamers.
Rest of the army... well they really wanted to kill O'vesa. I had moved around my suits so now a healthy suit was next to O'vesa. Only wound that went through was on that suit.
He then charged with his last chaos space marine, I failed to kill him with overwatch. But O'vesa crushed him in close combat in the end.

FARSIGHT TURN 5
Well not much to say here. Mopping up whats left.
Marker drones marked the havocs, and then O'vesa used the hits to remove cover. Killed 3 of them. Then O'vesa move along towards the objective on the eastern side.
The missile pod suit took the centre objective.
Broadsides on the east flank took out the last two noice marines.
Farsight and his pals charged into the cultists, killing them all, and went for the objective in the ruin.

FINAL SCORE

Farisght Enclave: 9 vp (first blood, slay the warlord, line breaker, two objectives held)
Chaos space marines: 0 vp

My thoughts
My main goal is to push the opponent into a corner. It works well against balanced armies where there isn't a horde of close combat units. I focus on destroying the close combat units and then I can push with my close combat unit, Farsight/commander XV8.
Also, all crisis suit units have dedicated roles.
The missile pod ones are tasked with grabbing objectives in my deployment, or close to my deployment.
The plasma/fusion crisis joins O'vesa and gets they toughness boosted and grabs midfield.
The last crisis unit joins Farisght and the commander. Grabbing enemy deployment objectives and line breaker.

In this game... I couldn't push forward as I wanted due to the late arrival of Farsight. But the principal is there.
Focused on taking out the close combat elements, i.e the Demon prince and the bikers then push as far as I can.
When farsight arrived, you can see that my army actually moves forward. Now, in this case there isn't much of resistance left. But, in general it shows how I would move once farsight arrives.
All in all I am satisfied with how the general tactic is working for me.
Last edited by Vash on Nov 03 2013 08:41, edited 2 times in total.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 03 2013 06:58

Now I don't know if this helps anyone to understand what happened, but the pictures are linked to the turns they occurred.

BATTLE PICTURES

DEPLOYMENT

TURN 1

TURN 2

TURN 3

TURN 4

TURN 5

Last edited by Vash on Nov 03 2013 08:06, edited 1 time in total.

Shmooks
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 03 2013 07:37

Hey Bud!

I don't see any pictures up...Im dying to see what happened in your epic battle. What is this reserved business ?
One does not simply kill a Riptide...

Dirtydeeds
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 03 2013 07:55

Shmooks wrote:Hey Bud!

I don't see any pictures up...Im dying to see what happened in your epic battle. What is this reserved business ?

He will eventually post the pictures on those posts. He knew that people would probably post on his topic before he could upload the pictures, so he reserved a few slots near the original post for this reason.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Nov 03 2013 10:52

Well, some points of advice for your buddy there.

1-focus fire. he keep switching targets, and by that everyone is wounded and nobody dies.

2-Target the markerlights. seriously these are like mini-psykers that don't kill themselves.

3-When you see a firebase like the two braodside teams, pick a side and stick to it, it will force the firebase to move, rendering them much less effective.

4-if you are outranged, its usually a good idea to wait a turn and enter everything into his range at once rather then send anything up front first. unsupported units make easy targets.

5-sonic gun noise marines do not work very well without some assured infiltration or transports that allow you to drop many of them nearby at once. but in this game they hardy got to do anything due to poor placement. he should have gave p the first turn shooting in order to grab better positions first.

6-On a general listbuilding note, he needs more low-ap guns. just 2 guns in his entire list are AP 1, and no AP 2, its just not enough against anyone that brings many 2+ guns or tanks.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Nov 04 2013 12:28

boomwolf wrote:Well, some points of advice for your buddy there.

1-focus fire. he keep switching targets, and by that everyone is wounded and nobody dies.

2-Target the markerlights. seriously these are like mini-psykers that don't kill themselves.

3-When you see a firebase like the two braodside teams, pick a side and stick to it, it will force the firebase to move, rendering them much less effective.

4-if you are outranged, its usually a good idea to wait a turn and enter everything into his range at once rather then send anything up front first. unsupported units make easy targets.

5-sonic gun noise marines do not work very well without some assured infiltration or transports that allow you to drop many of them nearby at once. but in this game they hardy got to do anything due to poor placement. he should have gave p the first turn shooting in order to grab better positions first.

6-On a general listbuilding note, he needs more low-ap guns. just 2 guns in his entire list are AP 1, and no AP 2, its just not enough against anyone that brings many 2+ guns or tanks.

Thanks for that mate :) Good and valid points.
I have written down some of those points my self to tell him later on on what to do and what to get.
There are some things I want him to change obviously. :)
He did say after the game that he really wants Huron in the army list, so he get infiltrate on his noice marines.
My suggestion would be to get Obliterators instead of the bikers.

Now in his defence concerning the marker drones, he could never really see them effectively, or he was out of range.
Focus fire, well he did focus fire, but mostly on O'vesa, and the western Broadside unit. But as you say, he should have counter deployed more on one flank, thus increasing his target fire on one side.

Thanks for your advice mate. I have redirected my friend to this site to look over the battle report and perhaps get some advice, such as yours. So thanks for your input.

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#8 » Nov 04 2013 05:05

Fantastic battle report!
A great read and wonderfully illustrated with the pictures.

I am also very impressed with how you moved a broadside back after it received a wound.
It never occured to me to use some Borg tactics in here :)

While an Enclave army has few models, each unit is a small army in its own right.
I found its hard to score First blood against us since everything has LoS and a 2+ armor save up front.

Hope to find more of your reports soon :D

abraxus
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 04 2013 06:20

Wow... O'Vesa actually killed something in close combat? With a WS of 1? The dice gods must have really been on your side!

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Nov 04 2013 08:40

De'terra wrote:Fantastic battle report!
A great read and wonderfully illustrated with the pictures.

I am also very impressed with how you moved a broadside back after it received a wound.
It never occured to me to use some Borg tactics in here :)

While an Enclave army has few models, each unit is a small army in its own right.
I found its hard to score First blood against us since everything has LoS and a 2+ armor save up front.

Hope to find more of your reports soon :D

Thanks.
Well when I moved the Broadside I knew already I would use the marker drones to mark their target. So I was hoping for 3 hits, so I could increase the BS with +1 at least. But in any case, I still had two who could shoot, and probably absorb wounds later on (though... I did get instant killed... so it didn't work out as planned :) ). At least it made me feel safer to have the injured one in the back.

FE are hard to get first blood against. Thus I never really fear going second. Of course, first turn drop pods are scary. They are for anyone I guess.

abraxus wrote:Wow... O'Vesa actually killed something in close combat? With a WS of 1? The dice gods must have really been on your side!

Not that hard really.
Three attacks, hit on 5 or higher. Its 1 out of 3 that will hit in a perfect world. Now this time I actually scored two hits.
On another note, I have seen orks massacre other armies with shooting, and they only hit on 5 or higher...
Anyhow, I still had the unit to hit with also. I don't understand why people still have this unhealthy belief that Tau units can't lift a close combat weapon or punch someone in the face.

Mal'caor Mont'yr
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 06 2013 02:20

Vash, your last point here is very true. I've found with my Tau that if you soften a unit with shooting and then damage it more with Overwatch, it frequently becomes manageable in CC. For example, I killed four members of a ten man Dire Avenger squad with shooting with a ten man Fire Warrior squad. I lost two members to his fire and then killed another Eldar on Overwatch, leaving five to fight my eight Fire Warriors in CC. It took three rounds of combat, but I emerged victorious. We aren't terrible at close combat; we just aren't good at it.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Nov 06 2013 02:42

Yes we are not good, but we can manage :)
We constantly compare with the space marines. But loom at ither armies.
IG platoon vs fire warriors. We may strike last. But we have better armour.
Same thing vs eldar guardians.
It isnt optimal, but we are not defenseless as people wants us to believe.

atlas_rock
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 06 2013 04:39

ive personally had my Commander Farsight go two rounds with Kaldor Draigo, after basically laughing off a vortex grenade in an apocalypse game,
mind you one round i had my finest hour up, but the second round i survived and managed to kill kaldor with farsight and a cammander with fusion blades, now obviously the dice gods were on my side considering double 1's on the vortex grenade, but some tau units can manage close combat pretty well, ive also had a riptide go 4 rounds vs thunderwolf cavalry , which was nice tie up for me, allowed my pathfinders to get into the perfect spot to markerlight the whole area

obviously running into close combat isnt something you want to do as tau, but sometimes i weigh my odds of tying up a unit for a turn, vs the cost of my fire warriors.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Nov 07 2013 04:10

atlas_rock wrote:obviously running into close combat isnt something you want to do as tau, but sometimes i weigh my odds of tying up a unit for a turn, vs the cost of my fire warriors.

Very true.

We excel at ranged combat, but it does't stop us from going into close combat if needed.

ecwp1981
Shas

Post#15 » Nov 08 2013 06:44

I have not played many games so excuse me if I am wrong in certain areas.

I read the report and if i recalled correctly, the crisis suits are not classed under troops but under Elites, so is it correct to say that this battle does not follow the force organization chart? Also the riptide is classed as Elites and not under HQ so that would be in conflict with the Force Org chart again?

A well documented battle report nonetheless :)
With Great Power comes Great Responsibility

yankeedave
Shas

Post#16 » Nov 08 2013 06:47

He is playing the Farsight Enclaves supplement, so XV-8s count as troops and there is a named HQ Riptide that is unlocked as long as you take Farsight also. Hope this helps.
Time that you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted.

ecwp1981
Shas

Post#17 » Nov 08 2013 07:12

Oh right. Need to get the codex off black library.
With Great Power comes Great Responsibility

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Nov 08 2013 03:18

As yankeedave says, Farsight Enclave is a supplement to the standard Tau Empire codex.

It trades off the really nice signature systems wargear (such as M3S, PEN and CCN). We do get crisis suits as troops.
Of course, the Farsight enclave gets their own signature systems. But people who are used to playing Tau in a certain way don't find them good at all as they are not focused at boosting ranged fighting (I for one like the Farsight Enclave wargear, a bit expensive, but more my style).

Return to “Battle Reports”