[BAT.REP] 1750pts Farsight vs 2000pts Chaos (picture heavy)

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Mal'caor Mont'yr
Shas

Re: [BAT.REP] 1750pts Farsight vs 2000pts Chaos (picture heavy)

Post#11 » Nov 06 2013 02:20

Vash, your last point here is very true. I've found with my Tau that if you soften a unit with shooting and then damage it more with Overwatch, it frequently becomes manageable in CC. For example, I killed four members of a ten man Dire Avenger squad with shooting with a ten man Fire Warrior squad. I lost two members to his fire and then killed another Eldar on Overwatch, leaving five to fight my eight Fire Warriors in CC. It took three rounds of combat, but I emerged victorious. We aren't terrible at close combat; we just aren't good at it.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Nov 06 2013 02:42

Yes we are not good, but we can manage :)
We constantly compare with the space marines. But loom at ither armies.
IG platoon vs fire warriors. We may strike last. But we have better armour.
Same thing vs eldar guardians.
It isnt optimal, but we are not defenseless as people wants us to believe.

atlas_rock
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 06 2013 04:39

ive personally had my Commander Farsight go two rounds with Kaldor Draigo, after basically laughing off a vortex grenade in an apocalypse game,
mind you one round i had my finest hour up, but the second round i survived and managed to kill kaldor with farsight and a cammander with fusion blades, now obviously the dice gods were on my side considering double 1's on the vortex grenade, but some tau units can manage close combat pretty well, ive also had a riptide go 4 rounds vs thunderwolf cavalry , which was nice tie up for me, allowed my pathfinders to get into the perfect spot to markerlight the whole area

obviously running into close combat isnt something you want to do as tau, but sometimes i weigh my odds of tying up a unit for a turn, vs the cost of my fire warriors.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Nov 07 2013 04:10

atlas_rock wrote:obviously running into close combat isnt something you want to do as tau, but sometimes i weigh my odds of tying up a unit for a turn, vs the cost of my fire warriors.

Very true.

We excel at ranged combat, but it does't stop us from going into close combat if needed.

ecwp1981
Shas

Post#15 » Nov 08 2013 06:44

I have not played many games so excuse me if I am wrong in certain areas.

I read the report and if i recalled correctly, the crisis suits are not classed under troops but under Elites, so is it correct to say that this battle does not follow the force organization chart? Also the riptide is classed as Elites and not under HQ so that would be in conflict with the Force Org chart again?

A well documented battle report nonetheless :)
With Great Power comes Great Responsibility

yankeedave
Shas

Post#16 » Nov 08 2013 06:47

He is playing the Farsight Enclaves supplement, so XV-8s count as troops and there is a named HQ Riptide that is unlocked as long as you take Farsight also. Hope this helps.
Time that you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted.

ecwp1981
Shas

Post#17 » Nov 08 2013 07:12

Oh right. Need to get the codex off black library.
With Great Power comes Great Responsibility

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Nov 08 2013 03:18

As yankeedave says, Farsight Enclave is a supplement to the standard Tau Empire codex.

It trades off the really nice signature systems wargear (such as M3S, PEN and CCN). We do get crisis suits as troops.
Of course, the Farsight enclave gets their own signature systems. But people who are used to playing Tau in a certain way don't find them good at all as they are not focused at boosting ranged fighting (I for one like the Farsight Enclave wargear, a bit expensive, but more my style).

Shaper Weee
Shas

Post#19 » Nov 17 2013 03:26

hello all
Just had my first game with this set up against Dark Angles. It was a 2,000 point game so I added in Commander Bravestorm (farsight's XV8's) and Sub-commander Touchstar (XV8's with marker Drones squad). Broadside's had EWO.

Well what a game, tabled him and lost 1 broadside, Bravestorm, Commander with fusion Blades and 1 XV8 which was with farsight.

What a real cool game. Because I castle up and have about 130 troop in my old set up, a game of 1,850 would take 4 hours. Plus the fact I hardly lose and the opponent is taking his time not to make a mistake. It took me 2 hours to table him and that was with me being slow.

Thanks heeps for you idea's on how to make a good farsight enclave list.

I will be spending the next 3 months painting the army in farsights colors. Also do you have a link on colors for a farsight inclave?

Thank you.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Nov 17 2013 08:22

Shaper Weee wrote:hello all
Just had my first game with this set up against Dark Angles. It was a 2,000 point game so I added in Commander Bravestorm (farsight's XV8's) and Sub-commander Touchstar (XV8's with marker Drones squad). Broadside's had EWO.

Well what a game, tabled him and lost 1 broadside, Bravestorm, Commander with fusion Blades and 1 XV8 which was with farsight.

What a real cool game. Because I castle up and have about 130 troop in my old set up, a game of 1,850 would take 4 hours. Plus the fact I hardly lose and the opponent is taking his time not to make a mistake. It took me 2 hours to table him and that was with me being slow.

Thanks heeps for you idea's on how to make a good farsight enclave list.

I will be spending the next 3 months painting the army in farsights colors. Also do you have a link on colors for a farsight inclave?

Thank you.

No problem mate. Glad someone had use of it.
I my self don't use Farsight colours, sorry.
But Games Workshop have a suggestion paint set on what colours they recommend for Farsight.
Colour link

But I don't think you will need all of them to be honest.
My suggestion is:

• Two red colours. One base and one high light on the edges.
• Two grey colours. Again, same as above. Base colour and high light.
• Brons and gold
• Black
• Agrax earth shade, used on the red areas as a wash/shade and perhaps on the gold/brons
• Random colour of your choosing for the lenses.
• Black or preferably red spray.

Now, how you want to paint your Enclave is all up to you.
As you can see from GWs pictures, in all the gaps GW have painted them black. Now this is hard to get nicely if your spraying them.
But... spraying them black gives you a hard time with painting all the red instead.
My suggestion is to base them in one way of the other in red.
Then wash them with agrax earth shade or nuln oil if you want it really dark/black in the gaps.

Good luck with your enclave!

Shmooks
Shas

Post#21 » Dec 28 2013 09:55

Hey Vash!

I am wondering how it is that the crisis suits get a boost in their toughness because O'vesa has joined them? I spent part of my day combing the rule book and codices for any particular rule that states that this is the case, in particular anything related to independent characters and I came out with nothing. I understand that O'vesa himself is T6 as are his 2 shielded missile drones so there is definitely a feature of T6. I just don't see how the crisis suits actually become T6 themselves dude...

Your boy, the Shmooks
One does not simply kill a Riptide...

E'nigma
Shas

Post#22 » Dec 28 2013 10:24

You are correct the Crisis Suits don't become T6 themselves. However due to the Majority Toughness rule they would be counted as T6 when the opponent rolls to wound.

Shmooks
Shas

Post#23 » Dec 28 2013 10:35

How is it a majority if three members of the unit have T6 (O'vesa and his two drones) and the other three members are T4? does O'vesa himself tip the balance? I would call that an even split technically.

E'nigma
Shas

Post#24 » Dec 28 2013 11:02

The rule states that if there is a Tie in Toughness values you use the highest values. I don't have my rulebook handy but the Majority Toughness rule under the To wound section of the Assault chapter will have the exact wording.

Also step 4 of The Shooting Sequence makes note of majority Toughness.

Shmooks
Shas

Post#25 » Dec 28 2013 11:13

Thanks for the clarification

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaper13
Shas

Post#26 » Jan 21 2017 04:15

Good report, just something I saw in your list, the the missile crisis team, they only need 2 target locks, not 3. You can already shoot at one unit, and then each target lock lets one model shoot at a different model. So the drone controller crisis could drop the target lock and take another missile pod and you still can shoot 3 different ways. :D
Who says we don't have assault units... Drones :crafty:

Return to “Battle Reports”