Akul Contingent Batreps

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
materpillar
Shas'La

Akul Contingent Batreps

Post#1 » Jul 27 2015 01:33

Inquisitor Illia Verena stepped onto the bridge of the starship and spoke three words, "we are needed." The everyone on the bridge immediately fell silent, without exception those words always meant one thing. A daemonic incursion. O'J'Korst'Kha furrowed his brow, steeled himself and asked the question no one wanted to ask "Where?" In response Illia simply raised her hand, pointed out into the inky blackness of space, and the ship jumped into the warp.

Upon entering real space, several Orcas full of troops immediately launched towards the planet's surface. The situation planet below was dire. Its human defenders were currently in pitched battle just outside of a major population center. While they were holding their own on the outskirts of the battle the center of their line was getting utterly decimated by a giant Daemonic War Machine, supported by a couple of minor Daemonic war machines and several squads of Chaos Space Marines.
O'J'Korst'Kha surveyed the scene below, and gasped as the war machine incinerated an entire squad of Gue'la with the largest flamethower he had ever scene, while simultaneous turning another squad into a crater with its massive cannon. "O'D'Doran'Elro, what is that thing?" Illia met his eyes from across the shuttle, and replied, like always, in her emotionless voice. "Lord of skulls. It is an engine of war, possessed by a daemon of Khorne. We did not deploy with the necessary weaponry to destroy it. It must be stopped."

O'J'Korst'Kha looked back down at the lumbering monstrosity as it continued to slaughter its way through the gue'la below. "Has El'D'Doran'Elro made contact?" Illia stared off into space for several moments then replied "She has. Their general has agreed to our aid. He has notified his subordinates. How shall we proceed?" O'J'Korst'Kha pointed at the map in front of him, "I'll take a strike force and deploy in front of it. We'll hold these strategic points here, here and here. El'Mesa'Raik you deploy the rest of our troops to support the Gue'la at the flanks. O'D'Doran'Elro you're with me. Your sister and her troops are to support El'Mesa'Raik and cut their way through the enemy lines to us. We're stall the thing until the Gue'la to support us with their heavy guns. They should be able to take it out."

Army Lists (about 1500 points)
Tau
Commander
2x MP, Target Lock, Drone Controller, Iridium Armor, Puretide Engram Neurochip,
2x Marker Drone

Elites
Crisis Suit
2x MP, Target lock
2x Marker Drone

Riptide
SMS, Ion Accelerator, Stims

Stealth Team
3x Shas'ui Burst Cannons

Fast Attack
Pathfinder Team
6x Pathfinders

Heavy Support
Broadside Team
Shas'ui & Shas'vre
TL-SMS, TL-HYMP

Skyray
Disruption Pod

Troops
3x Fire Warrior Teams
6x Shas'la

2x Kroot Squad (Using cultist models as the Gue'vessa cadre, counts as kroot)
10x Kroot with Sniper Rounds

Vindicare Assassin (Illia)
Eversor Assassin (Karen)

Chaos Space Marines
HQ
??? - 3 wound space marine with power fist

Others
Forgefiend (auto-cannons)
Devestator Squad (2 lascannons)
Dreadnaught (lascannon/missiles)
2x Tactical Squads (no upgrades?)
Lord of Skulls (AP3 Huge flamer, instant death + AP3 Apocalyptic Blast, re-roll all saving throws)

Note: This was only the players 3rd game and he mentioned he was bring a LoW (I didn't know which one). So I figured I'd bring a somewhat tame list with lots of infantry and just try to play the objective game while he slaughtered most of my army. He brought out his lord of war and then set out a hell drake right next to it. I immediately grimaced, glanced at my 5 troop choice army list and then asked him not to bring it as it more or less hard countered everything I was hoping to do. He agreed and put in the forge fiend instead.

O'J'Korst'Kha looked around at the small hamlet thinking "This place is indefensible. We've barely any cover, in a valley and we have almost no decent lanes of fire. It was foolish of me to think this place could have any tactical objective worth defending. We're going to need to pull back and -" Illia's voice cut rolled out of com unit. Always deadpan, and yet always carrying with the worst of news. "They're here." O'J'Korst'Kha snapped out of his trance. "What?! Confirm!" He heard a crunch as his sister's riptide shifted its weight a short distance away, and his sister's voice came out of his com, "They're at the top of the hill and that war machine is fast. We're not going to be able to outrun it."

Tau Deployment
Note: All troops held in reserve, Karen and Kroot outflanking.

Chaos Deployment

Chaos has First Turn
O'J'Korst'Kha glanced around the corner of the building, to take full stock of the situation with his own eyes. "Our plan has changed. There's nothing worth trying to hold here. Hit that flank now, cut off that monster's support!"
Objective: Kill Points
Tau Successfully Seize the Initiative

Turn 1
Before he had even finished his sentence, O'J'Korst'Kha jumped out from behind his cover and he and his bodyguard unloaded a wave of missiles into the Chaos Dreadnaught destroying it completely. At the same time his marker light drones and those of the pathfinders lit up the devastator squad next to it. Vre'Oni'Dan used those marker lights to ignore that units cover and shot of a precise shot (BS7) from her Ion Accelerator. Still she'd been rushed to pull off that shot with the sudden flurry of combat and her blast went wide (12 inch scatter), managing to glance the forge fiend, but failing to wound the two marines that it hit.

The broadsides and stealth suits moved up, and together with Vre'Oni'Dan they managed to kill two of the devastator squad, one of which whom was carrying a lascannon. From her vantage point on the other side of the battlefield Illia put a warp covered round through the face of the other devastator carrying a lascannon rendering the squad rather harmless. All the suits then quickly jumped behind cover to block as much line of sight as possible.

The Lord of Skulls rolled down the hill and shot his main cannon at Vre'Oni'Dan. She was unharmed, but two of the stealth suits next to her perished. Similarly the sky ray suffered a penetrating hit and one of its missiles was rendered useless. The forge fiend opened up of the broadsides but its shots bounced harmlessly off their armor.

Turn 2
Illia sighted the forge fiend, and let lose a tank busting shot. This destructive force flew across the battlefield but was stopped in its tracks by a shimmering field of force surrounding the daemon. Unperturbed O'J'Korst'Kha unloaded onto the forge fiend but it ducked behind the tree line and only took a glancing wound. However, the broadside team also opened up using his marker lights to finally shred the daemon under a pinpoint wave of missiles.

The first wave of Karen's Gue'vessa (kroot) reinforcements came streaming in to support the right flank. They opened up on the exposed squad of tactical marines hiding in the building with their warlord, killing one. Vre'Oni'Dan turned to support her newly appeared allies and she charged up her riptide's core but it overheated and caused damage to her suit. The damage was even more significant than she had anticipated as her ion accelerator overheated and failed to fire.

The Lord of Skulls turned an bore down upon her unleashing its fire torrent of daemon fire. Her armor couldn't hold out and the fire flooded her suits circuits eating through vital connections and power. Completely rendering it useless. Roaring in triumph turned and shot its main cannon at Vre'Oni'Dan. The blast hit him dead on and filled his suits optics with static.

The Chaos Warlord and his squad unloaded on the Gue'vessa that had just appeared and killed a few. The humans turned and fled in terror.

Turn 3
With his ears still ringing O'J'Korst'Kha glanced down at his suits analytics and noticed that it had only taken minor lasting damage. Much of the enemy army had been cut to shreds, and his own army was largely untouched but the Lord of Skulls had managed position itself directly between the tau and its more squishy supporting units. There was no way to get to them without going through the lord of war. "Everyone fire on the Lord of Skulls, bring it down." The pathfinders, marker drones, and skyray lit it up and the tau army unleashed hell on it. The skyray launching its full compliment of missiles. O'J'Korst'Kha and his bodyguard shooting their tank hunting missiles. The broadsides shooting their waves of missiles. Even Illia put her tank destroying super bullet into the thing.

Under the weight of all that his army could offer, two large chunks were blown off and now it was pissed. It shot its primary cannon at the pathfinders, but scattered very wide and eradicated one of the broadsides instead. Then it turned to the skyray and unleashed a torrent of hell flame. The skyray survived under that torrent of fire just long enough to be bisected by its axe.

Turn 4
Illia's voice broke into the stunned silence filling O'J'Korst'Kha's suit. "My sister just arrived, she's going to kill their warlord. Let my sister and I take care of their back line. I've got fire warriors reinforcements streaming in over here. You can't kill it but try to keep its attention or its going to massacre them." He saw a round from her rifle go flying up the hill and large bulky shape drop to the ground.

O'J'Korst'Kha turned at let loose another flurry of missiles into the machines face. It rushed him and letting loose a torrent of flame, engulfing him an his squad. His body guard and three of the drones immediately succumbed but O'J'Korst'Kha's armor held out yet again.
Then it turned at shot another blast at the pathfinders. They all dove for cover, but only half of them found shelter from the blast.

Turn 5
Illia squeezed off another round. It flew across the battlefield and planted itself right where she wanted it, between the eyes of the last member of the devastator squad. He dropped heavily. She glanced back at the fire warriors streaming around her. "Get cover anywhere you can find it. Stay away from that machine or its going to kill all of you." She watched as O'J'Korst'Kha lobbed another flurry of missiles at the machines face and fled behind the church.

Across the field Illia could feel her sister's thoughts vanish as she steeled herself for combat. Illia watched through her sniper scope as Karen burst from cover and rushed the squad quickly slicing up the first marine she came across. Her enemies responses was sloppy and ineffective. After dancing away from their attacks she cut down another three with ease. However, the enemy warlord was had recovered from his surprise and brought his power fist to bear, swinging a lethal blow into exactly where Karen had been standing a split second before.

As that combat was raging the the Lord of Skull turned away from O'J'Korst'Kha tired of chasing him around the battlefield and let lose with his main cannon upon two squads of fire warriors. Those warriors dove for cover, but like the pathfinders about half of them were incinerated. The lord of skulls then turned and let lose his flame thrower upon the last remaining stealth suit and a full squad of fire warriors. The fire warriors perished to a man. The stealth suit, however, ducked behind a pillar and managed to escape unharmed.

Final Score
Tau - 4
First Blood
Dreadnaught
Forgefiend
Devestator Squad

Chaos - 3
Riptide
Skyray
Firewarrior Squad

Final Thoughts:
I had no business winning this game. The lists were horribly unbalanced, considering the mission. I had 13 possible killpoints total, and he had only 6 (one of which being the LoW I really couldn't kill).

The my board sides was also terrible for me. While my side of the board had a lot of LOS blocking terrain (which was nice), it only had two small lines of bushes (by where the fire warriors deployed) as cover from his apocalyptic AP3 blast. If he ever caught them out in the open, they'd have just died horribly. I did manage to bait him into shooting a lot of his AP3 into my 2+ armor saves. Since it was only his 3rd game and he'd never played Tau that isn't that much of an accomplishment. In addition, poor target priority while still learning rules isn't all that surprising.

Even so I still needed a ton of luck to win. I managed to seize which got me first blood. On top of that, he forgot to assault my last remaining stealth suit at the end of the game which would have tied it 4-4. Had he been more experienced and just bee-lined for my fire warriors the moment they came on almost certainly would have won.

Although, I did have some poor luck on a few things too. Everything related to my riptide really. Failed 1/2 its nova charges. Rolled 12 inches to scatter when I had BS7 Ignore cover, then got hot the next turn. She finally topped it off by failing the 2+ armor against his instant death flamethrower. Also, my Eversor assassin (karen) didn't come in until turn 5.

I made a couple of slight errors. I really shouldn't have wasted my time shooting my skyray at the lord of skulls. I should have moved 12" then use my flat out move to get even farther away. I was just getting frustrated by my lack of options for killing his back line. I could have used those missiles to kill one of his tac squads I got down to 2 members later (ones my 2nd kroot engaged on the left flank, I didn't write about that exchange it didn't really matter). I also wasted one of Illia's shots on the lord of skulls that turn. She could have killed another marine, which if on the HQ squad would have gotten me another kill point because Karen killed that squad down to only 1 HQ and 1 marine.

All in all, it was pretty fun. But I have confirmed the Lord of Skulls should probably stay at home for friendly 1500 point games.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

materpillar
Shas'La

Re: Akul Contingent Batreps

Post#2 » Aug 15 2015 02:39

O'J'Korst'Kha stood next to Karen Verena and stared down at the planet floating below him. He had only been a guest on and above the planet for all of a week. Or was it two? The days of combat were already blurring together, and was O'J'Korst'Kha was immensely ready to be anywhere else. He had came here with his allies to stop the daemons from overwhelming the planet, and this goal they had accomplished admirably. Unfortunately, so had every other gue’la and gue’ron’sha army remotely close by and these new comers had been rather less impressed by El’D'Doran'Ny and O’D'Doran'Elro than the gue’la native to the planet. In fact, the silver ones that O’D'Doran'Elro had specifically said specialized in killing daemons had taken one look at the sisters and sided with the daemons in an attempt to kill them. This had resulted in clashes with two other gue’ron’sha troops over the next days.

O'J'Korst'Kha’s tired recollections faded as Illia Verena stepped onto the bridge. O'J'Korst'Kha frowned, her presence on the bridge always meant bad news. “I’ve found where this daemon invasion is spring from.” Well it usually meant bad news. “We haven’t been able to find the rift on this world because it isn’t on this world. There’s a detachment of chaos marines on that world.” She pointed towards a distant spec of light. “They keep ripping open rifts for very short periods of time to let reinforcements flood onto this planet. It’s why we haven’t been able to pinpoint a location before. They’ve been watching us. They know I know. They’ll be ready. Bring everything.” O'J'Korst'Kha quickly rescinded his last thought, Illia’s presence did always mean bad news. Karen reached over and squeezed his shoulder. “Will be ok.”

Army List (3143 points, literally every model I own)

Tau Army - HQ
Commander
Neuroweb system jammer, onager gauntlet, puretide engram neurochip, iridium battlesuit
Fusion blaster x2
Shield generator, Stimulant injector

Commander
2x Marker Drone
Target Lock, Drone Controller
2x Missile Pod

Elites
Stealth Team
4x Shas’ui w/ Burst Cannon
1x Shas’vre homing beacon, target lock, markerlight, fusion blaster

Troops
Fire Warrior team
12x Shas’ui

Devilfish
Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines, SMS

Fire Warrior team
7x Shas’ui

Kroot Squad
10x with snipers

Kroot Squad
10x with snipers

Fast Attack
Pathfinders
6x shas’ui

Y’vahra Battlesuit
EWO, Stimulant Injector

Y’vahra Battlesuit
EWO, Stimulant Injector

Heavy Support
Hammerhead
Longstrike
Railgun w/ submunitions, sensorspines, disruption pod

Sniper Team
1x Spotter
3x Drones

Skyray
Sensor Spines, disruption pod

Farsight CAD - HQ
Commander Farsight (Warlord)

Elite
Riptide
HBC, SMS, Stimulant injector, Earth Caste Pilot Array, Stimulant Injector

Troops
Crisis team
1x Shas’ui w/ Missile Pod + Plasma Rifle

Crisis team
2x Shas’ui with Fusion blaster 2x + target lock
1x shas’ui with Fusion blaster 2x + Vectored retro-thrusters

Fast Attack
Drone Team
7x Marker Drones

Heavy Support
Broadside Team
1x Shas’vre HYMP, SMS
1x Shas’ui HYMP, SMS

Broadside Team
1x Shas’vre HYMP, SMS
1x Shas’ui HYMP, SMS

Allies
Vindicare Assassin

Chaos/Dark Angels (It was a 2v1 game, their 1850 tourney lists minus an imperial knight against me) - 3300? points
Librarian conclave in a bunker of some type
2x squads of scouts
Assassin Formation (1 of each assassin)
Kharne the betrayer (warlord) w/ squad of space marines in a landraider
Bel’akor
3 wound assault daemons with some khorne character riding a daemon
pink horrors with a ton of heralds in a bastion
squad of cultists

El’Mesa'Raik glanced over the battlefield. This pitiful showing was what O’D'Doran'Elro was worried about she wanted them to deploy their entire forces. This is what she was so worried about she had brought into being two of her daemonic y’vahra riptides? Whatever, these defenses were pitiful, insignificant. “O’D'Doran'Elro destroy that landraider. Vre’Oni'Dan support that flank. I’ll cover between these buildings until O'J'Korst'Kha brings the cavalry.” That was in the unlikely event they needed it. El’Mesa'Raik watched as the daemonic riptides sprung into action even before O’D'Doran'Elro’s voice stated her affirmative. Mere seconds later, where the enemy’s landraider had been parked, there was only a crater full of chaos marines. A moment after that, there was only a crater full of charred remains. As that happened, El’Mesa'Raik noted that her sniper round and the hammerhead supporting her both glanced off the enemies’ bastion.

El’Mesa'Raik himself, sprung forward and targeted the enemy sniper. Lighting up his position with a swarm of markerlights. That position immediately covered by a wave of explosions as the skyray unleashed its’ full compliment of seeker missiles with extreme precision directly into the poor assassin’s face. As though on cue the enemy came bursting out of their bastion and bunker. It was an odd attack though, just a handful of daemons along with just two space marines.

El’Mesa'Raik’s satisfaction was short lived as they all screamed in unison and transformed into four huge daemons.

On the high ground to his right a burst of flame from a small figure washed over his squad of pathfinders and they broke a fled. He glanced over in horror, wondering where that assassin had appeared from.

To his left a pack of daemons managed to run down one of O’D'Doran'Elro’s riptides. Yet after a short scuffle it managed to break away from them and reposition before burning the pack of daemons to the ground.

O’D'Doran'Elro launched another round from her rifle and it again glanced off the bastion. The hammerhead though utterly destroyed the bastion, causing it to collapse and crush whatever daemons were left inside. That was a minor victory though, and El’Mesa'Raik found himself yelling into his com “Vre’Oni'Dan I’m going to need some support! Bad!” as he unloaded into the advancing monstrosities.

Her voice floated back to him along in time with the constant barrage of her heavy burst cannon. “I’ll be there in a moment we’ve almost secured this flank.” The farther y’vahra let loose a salvo of flame burning up a squad hiding behind the building directly in front of him. To his right the squad of broadsides gunned down the lone figure that had appeared next to them and routed the pathfinders. Yet even as that happened, two more space marines exited from their bunker and warped into greater daemons. On the edge of his army another assassin drop-podded in to support the greater daemon that crashed into a squad of firewarriors and slew them all. Right in front of him one of the daemons pulled rushed into combat with one of the y’vahra riptides. At the same time another rushed O’D'Doran'Elro and started trying to end her life with a massive pus covered sword. Almost sensing his vision upon her she said “Don’t worry about me, I’ll hold these off of you as long as I can.”

O’D'Doran'Elro’s riptide fled from combat with the greater daemon but quickly regrouped. Her farther riptide jumped up to the bunker and attempted to burn out the remaining space marines but it’s gun overheated failed to fire at all. Vre’Oni’Dan’s voice came tumbling out of into El’Mesa'Raik’s battlesuit again “Ok, moving to support.” With that statement a copious amount of lead was poured into a greater daemon that had climbed onto a central building, ending its miserable existence. El’Mesa'Raik turned and with the support of one his broadside teams managed to put down the daemon that was literally standing over him.
With the Tau line in full retreat, El’D'Doran'Ny cut through the warp and brought O'J'Korst'Kha and his squad of crisis suits onto the battlefield. Upon which they promptly blew several chunks of the closest daemon, was cut down by the second broadside team.

The greater daemon on the far side of the battlefield that had just finished up with the firewarriors jumped over the wall and unleashed a blast of raw psychic power upon the lone crisis suit defending the area.

However, something went delightfully awry and it was overwhelmed and dragged back into the warp by the forces it had called upon.

The last three of the space marines and a handful of scouts came out of their bunker. Two of the marines transformed into greater daemons while the rest assaulted O'J'Korst'Kha’s squad and one of the y’vahras with the assistance of a nearby assassin. The assassin managed to greatly wound El’D'Doran'Ny, almost killing her outright, while taking on minimal damage in return. However, several of the lesser marines were slain and O'J'Korst'Kha’s squad managed to successfully disengage from combat. The y’vahra that was not locked in combat promptly wasted the assassin with its anti-tank weapon.
El’Mesa'Raik only paid this combat a passing amount of attention. His commanding officer had shown up, and was doing what he did best. Dragging as much attention towards himself as possible to keep everyone else alive. Unfortunately he had not managed to attract the attention of the three greater daemons that were attempting to rampage through El’Mesa'Raik’s immediate vicinity. Still, with some decent direction and a copious amount of marker lights, El’Mesa'Raik, both broadside teams, and the recently disembarked fire warrior squad managed to kill two of three remaining greater daemons, leaving only the pus filled daemon that had after a prolonged combat finally managed to crush O’D'Doran'Elro’s body into a quickly fading lifeless mess. “Vre’Oni’Dan, we’ve got this situation under control. Go assist El’D'Doran'Ny’s gue’vessa.”

In a last valiant attempt to swing the tides of battle the marine in combat with the y’vahra riptide powered his weapon with an unholy energy and slew the riptide. But the battle was already lost for the forces of chaos, all that it was time for was mop up. Vre’oni’dan proceeded gunned down the cultists that had arrived from reserve with the assistance of the stealth team. The broadsides killed the last of the nurgle daemons after it smashed the skyray to bits. The last remaining y’vahara killed another daemon of nurgle and the final librarian with its flamer while the firewarriors killed the assassin that had deepstruck in.
Flamers of tzeentch jumped forward and melted the stealth team in retaliation for their downed cultists and the last greater daemon charged O’J’Korst’Kha’s squad. It had already been hurt from their guns and was heavy damaged even more in overwatch. Even on barely alive it managed to kill one of the crisis suits before O’J’Korst’Kha personally slew it with his onigar gauntlet.

Final Thoughts
This was a super fun time for me and my opponents seemed to enjoy it. Seriously, I killed 9 greater daemons (well 8 as Bel’akor, periled on pyschic shriek, rolled a 1, then an 11 on leadership and insta-killed himself and I denied the shriek). We were playing maelstrom and I won that in landslide (we stopped counting after I got up 12-4ish on turn 3. Tau are just so good at zipping around and snagging objectives.

Y'vahras are absolutely made to kill landraiders and space marine/terminator bundles. This they did with extreme prejudice, destroying the landraider, and their warlord (who was in the landraider) in the first turn. After that they jumped around and acted scary so they'd get assaulted not my other stuff. I was incredibly lucky with them in CC though. Once I hit and ran out of combat. Once I lost combat by 1, fled from a greater daemon of nurgle (which can't sweeping advance), and immediately regrouped 1" from the board edge. They probably deserve a bit of a nerf-bat. Their shooting is very short range thus should be risky but their 24" jump almost completely negates that disadvantage/risk. Should probably just be a 12" jump or need a nova charge to go farther or something.

My skyray continues to make me happy every time I bring it.

I ran my commander with 9 marker drones because I was just using every model I owned so I had a bunch of drones sitting around. Thought it would be hilarious markerlight overkill. Ended up using almost not using about 3 of his markerlight hits over the coarse of the game. I found this to be very surprising, but toughness 7 models with shrouding in cover require a lot of markerlights to kill as it turns out.

My vindicare assassin continues to be awful, and I will continue to run it anyway.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#3 » Apr 11 2016 10:09

O'J'Korst'Kha stifled a yawn as he idly tapped his fingers on the leg of his battlesuit. Next to him El'D'Doran'Ny delicately balanced her sword on her lap as she meditated on the hard metal floor of the manta's hanger bay. There had been reports of some chaos cults springing up in the ruins of the city below leaked to El'D'Doran'Ny. A cadre was below sweeping the area for evidence of their location.

Once the scouts located the cults O'J'Korst'Kha and his strike force was going destroy them root and branch like the weed they were. It was just a matter of waiting for them to be found. O'J'Korst'Kha's headset broke the silence of the hanger as El'Mesa'Raik's "Forward Team Shi are picking up a beacon signal of some type for the city just ahead." O'J'Korst'Kha rolled his eyes "And you didn't tell me this after they investigated?" "They've also spotted an imperial knight with a couple of squads supporting it."

O'J'Korst'Kha immediately sprung into motion, pulling himself into his battlesuit. "Pull Team Shi out now, it's a trap. Imperial knights are to valuable to be only supported with a couple squads, we've got incoming." Next to him El'D'Doran'Ny was already standing, her sword unsheathed and held loosely in one hand. El'Mesa'Raik voice was shaking when he responded "You're right. Team Shi's about to be surrounded, there's a large drop pod force incoming. They're not going to be able to pull back in time."

O'J'Korst'Kha looked down at El'Mesa'Raik, "We're deploying." With a casual flick on her wrist reality itself shriveled up and died. In its place was a gaping maw of the warp, into which she stepped. O'J'Korst'Kha studied the map of the ruins below. "Oni'Dan, I'm hitting the five squads that have Team Shi's retreat path cut off. I'm going to open that path up. You take the rest of the strike team and cut off the marines escape path." A light blinked in affirmative and O'J'Korst'Kha stepped into the warp. Moments later they and after another swing of El'D'Doran'Ny's sword O'J'Korst'Kha stepped back into reality and promptly obliterated a space wolf squad with a wave of rounds from his team's fusion blasters and plasma rifles. Just behind him the firewarriors were climbing out of the wreckage of their devilfish. A short distance away from that melee one of the piranha's was a smolder mash of bullet holes. Just in front of him Team Shi's skyray was desperately jinking to avoid the melta gun shots flying around. Across the street the squad of pathfinders were gunned down by the Imperial Knight and a squad of space wolves. Overhead the sunshark streaked into the battle, its bomb not managing to harm any of the wolves through their armor, but the drones managing to score several casualties among the tightly packed marines.

On the other side of the battlefield Oni'Dan descended upon the wulfen that had just destroyed the devilfish in her Riptide and, with supporting fire from her squad of broadsides, completely obliterated them. Meanwhile her crisis monats and stealth team engaged the defending space marine squad. A short distance away the gue'vessa flanked the other defending space marine squad.

However the Imperial Knight turned and started advancing towards Oni'Dan with the support of the second wulfen squad but failed to successfully charge her.

Even though the Imperial Knight didn't manage to get in close combat, several other furious melees broke out.
The cultists defeated the space marine squad and would eventually assault and defeat the scout squad above them also. The stealth suits were not as lucky and all perished while the crisis suit fled the combat.

The closest squad of space wolves ignored O'J'Korst'Kha hurled themselves into close combat with Team Shi. El'D'Doran'Ny plunged into the ruins after them, cutting two of the marines down while O'J'Korst'Kha crushed the last remaining marine with his battlesuit freeing the firewarrior squad from combat.

However during this time the squad of marines that had mowed down the pathfinders assaulted and destroyed the sniper team. The Sunshark turned its attention to that side of the battle picking up several more kills.

Oni'Dan destroyed the remaining squad of wulfen with a shot from her ion accelerator. However, the Imperial Knight responded in kind by obliterating one of the broadsides and assaulting the survivor and cutting him to pieces. The next turn he stepped forward and stomped the remnants of Team Shi to death, as they had heriocily stood in its path so it couldn't charge O'J'Korst'Kha and his squad.

This gave O'J'Korst'Kha time to eliminate the enemy warlord and his squad.

My Thoughts on the Game
This was my first game playing with the Dawn Blade Formation/Retaliation Cadre. It was quite amusing because my opponent was playing a formation that all 9 of his drop pods came on first turn. But my army all came on turn 2. So I basically got to alpha strike his alpha strike army.

The sunshark was actually pretty decent. It was killing 4-5 marines a turn, and generally being a pest.

The Dawn Blade Formation was pretty good. I named Imperial Knight, Wulfen, Warlord Squad, Wulfen. I named the knight so I could maybe deepstrike and blow it up if it was out of position. It wasn't so I didn't. The next few turns whatever I named I exploded really dead though. Doesn't feel unfair though because of how hard it is to choose the correct until to try and kill next turn.

Auto-deep striking everything turn 2 is awesome though.

Devilfish was really good even though it died in assault first turn. It got my firewarriors onto objective 5 which got me several maelstrom points and then held that point long enough to deny my opponent those points (he also got secure objective 5, but never secured it). This was key to me winning the game.

This is the third time I've played against an imperial knight. My strategy of ignoring them and hoping they don't kill too much is working out fairly well.

Tau Army
CAD
HQ
Farsight - Warlord

Elite
Stealth Suits
Shas'vre - Markerlight, target lock, fusion blaster
2x Shas'ui with Burstcannon

Fast Attack
Piranha - no upgrades

Piranha - no upgrades

6x Pathfinders

Troops
Kroot
10x Kroot with snipers

Strike Team
12x Strikers
Devilfish - Disruption pod, sensor spines, SMS

Heavy Support
Sniper team - no upgrades

Skyray - Sensor Spine, Disruption Pod

Dawn Blade Formation
Retaliation Cadre
Commander - Puretide Engram, Iridium Battlesuit, Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Stims, Vectored Retro-Thrusters

Riptide - Ion Accelerator, SMS, Positional Relay, Stims

Broadside Team
2x Shas'vre with heavy missile pod, SMS

Crisis Team
3x Shas'ui - Plasma, Fusion Blaster

Crisis Team
1x Shas'ui - Flamer, Flamer

Crisis Team
1x Shas'ui - Plasma, Missile Pod

Assigned Air Caste Asset
Sunshark - Decory Launchers, twin-linked Missile Pod

Space Wolves Army
Each squad had a flamer or melta.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#4 » Apr 28 2016 12:35

Oni'Dan looked over the remnants of the city in front of her. It wasn't really surprising that there were so many husks of civilization on this planet since the gue'la who inhabited it were completely enthralled with picking fights. O'D'Doran'Elro and El'D'Doran'Ny had clearly pissed someone important here off. It must have taken a significant amount of effort to find out who their agents were and then plant false information with those agents that intriguing enough to bring the twins here without being alerting their suspicions. A multitude of alarms started blaring in her cockpit. Several more space marine airships were inbound. Oni'Dan flipped on her headset "O'J'Korst'Kha I've got fliers incoming, they're about to hit us hard. We're going to need backup."

Moments later two of the stormraven strafed the devilfish on Oni'Dan's right flank. It tried to jink the missiles and meltas but was still glanced twice.

The third stormraven strafed the skyray but failed to penetrate the tanks front armor.

However, the space marines that deployed from that stormraven killed 8 of the 10 cultists with a multitude of flamers and a hail of bolter fire.

Then it was the tau's turn to retaliate. Three razorsharks flew in from reserve and glanced each enemy flier at least once while making them all jink. Oni'Dan drew upon her nova reactor but it overheated and caused damage to her riptide. The heating fried her targeting and her ion accelerators blast flew well wide of the bundled space marines. The devilfish flew up into the midfield and then moved flat out towards the space marine's backfield objective.

One of the stormraven deployed its squad before turning and blowing one of the razorsharks out of the sky.

The other two stormravens turned their attention to the skyray and immobilized it with their melta guns.

The terminators that had arrived in the first turn (and just camped an objective) turned and wrecked the devilfish with their missile launchers.

The remaining razorsharks turned and shot down the fully loaded stormraven. Only the sergeant crawled out of the wreckage alive. Oni'Dan again turned her gun upon the same squad of marines and instead of missing horribly it simply overheated and didn't fire.

O'J'Korst'Kha and El'D'Doran'Ny's squad arrived from reserve and obliterated the terminator squad, securing that objective. However, the space marine warlord deepstruck next to them to avenge their brothers.

The space marines Oni'Dan had failed to kill assaulted and destroyed the skyray while the lone captain assaulted the pathfinders.

The captain was significantly less successful than his brothers.

Oni'Dan again attempted to nova charge but her riptide continued to malfunction. She drew a bead on the squad of marines again in an attempt to stop them in their tracks. Yet again her Ion Accelerator overheated, although she was manage to down one of the marines with her Smart Missile System. The razorsharks, however, managed to down another stormraven. O'J'Korst'Kha and El'D'Doran'Ny's squad fled behind the cultists that had just outflanked while peppering the enemy warlord. The stranded firewarriors finally secured the objective they'd been running towards the entire game.

The enemy warlord then failed to charge O'J'Korst'Kha and friends and my opponent conceded.

Final Thoughts
Tau Army
Formation
Air Superiority Cadre
3x Razorsharks - MP

CAD
Farsight (warlord)
Commander (iridium/plasma/FB/Stuff)

Riptide - Stims
Crisis team - 3x FB/plasma

10x Kroot - Sniper
10x Kroot - Sniper
11x Strikers - Rifle/Devilfish (SMS/DPod/Sensor Spines)

6x Pathfinders
Skyray - Dpod/Sensor Spines
2x Broadsides

My opponent had a really funny conversation with me before the game. It went something like this. "I hope you don't mind if I bring an army with a ton of fliers, most people consider them cheesy." "That's fine, I was planning on bringing several myself." I mean people rarely bring fliers in warhammer in my experience. Yet we ended up bringing 6 of them between the two of us.

Speaking of. The razorsharks held their own nicely. I just flew them past and behind the stormravens, the stormraven guns are all forward mounted and couldn't really shot me but my turret mounted guns just kept peppering them to death. I wasn't aggressive enough with my seeker missile usage though. If I had used those earlier I probably could have shot his fliers down faster.

I was rather amused with my pathfinder placement. He didn't even know they were there until after his first turn when I shot them, and he had to walk around the table to see them.

I'll probably try this list again, it was pretty interesting to use. That being said he was rather unlucky with his maelstrom missions. He got assassinate/slay my warlord both of which are super hard to accomplish against my army. He also got "Have your warlord die in the assault phase", which is hilariously terrible against tau. My objective cards were also hard to get (mostly objectives in his backfield) but I managed them via deepstriking/devilfish flying flat out. Overall we both had a blast.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#5 » May 26 2016 10:50

On my phone, so much less typing for this report.
4000 points of tyrannids vs 2500 tau and 1500 space wolves/skitari. Custom mission, emperor's will but only 1 objective in our deployment as tyrannids try to overrun the city. Ignoring ally chart.

Tyrannid horde approaches

Allied coalition that stands to resist them

Inquisitor Illia and her loyal cultists (kroot) defending the command post. Allied militia turns out to actually be genestealers! (Using the super genestealer formation where they can deploy in our deployment zone and assault first turn).

Some Xenos in need of purging on the right flank. Sadly, these assualt marines weren't up to the task.

Huge first turn melee in the center of the board. Turns out space marines are much better assualt blockers than kroot and they slaughter this group of bugs.

Notice the distinct lack of assault squad. Firewarriors disembark and engage the bugs. Skyray dumps everything into the flying give tyrannt while ignoring its cover. Misses with 4/6 of the missiles. Sadness.

Psychic scream + assaults = dead skyray, firewarriors, and broadsides. Basically an entirely dead right flank.

Time for the cavalry. The razorsharks shoot down the warlord flyrant and drop the crone to one wound. Space marines shoot down the second flyrant.

Stealth suits outflank to bring some harassment to the right flank

...and the left. Also, a couple of dreadnaughts had been annoying the bugs since turn 1.

While O'J'Korst'Kha kills himself a toxicrene (with some help).

It was getting late so we called the game, although it was pretty clear the tyrannids had basically lost. They controlled our right flank but were about to meet heavy resistance on the left flank.

While we utterly controlled the centerfield (and objective) and were heavily harassing their backfield.

The board was set up was heavily in our favor. Our thought process was "hey 4000 points is double 2000 and we usually are pretty full on a single board with 2000 points. We should use two tables." Turns out that is way too much room to run across with a mostly assault army. Hindsight 20/20. That being said, 4K points on 1 table while getting assaulted first turn would have been super rough.
Last edited by materpillar on Aug 27 2016 02:32, edited 1 time in total.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jun 04 2016 12:40

"We need to crush this outpost, you and Illa need to draw them out for me." The words of her brother echoed through her mind as Shas'vre Oni'Dan eased her ghostkeel up the hill. She felt dainty, exposed sitting on the top of the hill in such small battlesuit. Unfortunately, piloting such a large target like her riptide was out of the question, the marines had a frigate in orbit solely to destroy such tempting targets. "Draw them out." Oni'Dan sighed, and flicked off her stealth systems. The effect on the space marines down below was subtle but immediate. Surely their scanners had picked up the small mechanical force supporting her, but those wouldn't have been much to worry about. A ghostkeel though, that was a threat that couldn't be dismissed.

A couple of tense seconds past, and then her flanking drone (and most of the hill it was hovering above) vanished into nothingness in a roar of energy so loud Oni'Dan could feel it vibrate in her bones. She swore softly under her breath as she flipped on her ghostkeel's stealth systems and retreated from the hilltop. Supporting frigate, looking to destroy large suits. Maybe those stealth systems should stay on. O'D'Doran'Elro's voice cut into her coms "That was ill advised. But it appears to have worked. Their landraider is incoming as well as an assault squad. Also, it seems..." A drop pod slammed into the hill where Oni'Dan had been half a minute ago. "It seems what O'D'Doran'Elro?" Oni'Dan glanced towards her or more accurately the pieces of her that a lascannon had splattered across the hill.

Oni'Dan opened up with the support of her stealth team on the honor guard that had just sprinted out of the drop pod, slaying a few of them. Behind her the hammerhead opened up on the landraider. But the landraider came on unharmed and let out its cargo of terminators while their flank was covered by assault marines.

Oni'dan glaze flickered over the quickly advancing marines "The assault marines are their weak link, break your way through!" A furious, but extremely one-sided melee broke out among the tau lines. Oni'Dan's ghostkeel was ripped apart by the terminators, while the honor guard destroyed the forefront devilfish.

Following her final order the stealth suits and hammer head unloaded into the assault marines slaying every last one.

The hammerhead and remaining devilfish floored it through this gap, but the terminators caught up to the stealth team as they fled. Simultaneously, the honor guard mopped up the remaining firewarriors and pathfinders holding the objective.

The landraider turned and destroyed the fleeing devilfish. It then unloaded into the disembarked firewarriors, before roaring in pursuit of the fleeing hammerhead. The firewarriors broke and fled into the waiting arms of the honor guard.

After sharply turning around the building's corner to cut off the tau vehicle, the landraider was promptly executed.

In the marine's back line a squad of stealth suits was constantly being a nuisance. While a monat deepstruck and killed a centurian before being slain by a plasma cannon and massed bolter fire.

Seeing the marine forces overextended O'J'Korst'Kha and El'D'Doran'Ny sprung their trap. Arriving to the battle they instantly killed the exposed centurions and dealt heavy wounds to the tactical squad (target lock dual flamers).

The rest of the squad was wiped out by another round of flamers and supporting fire from the stealth team. The dreadnought was wounded before being finished off in overwatch.

The objective secured, O'J'Korst'Kha ran forward to engage the enemy warlord.

O'J'Korst'Kha led the charge into the enemy outpost, slaying 4 enemy marines while El'D'Doran'Ny personally engaged the enemy warlord.

Big Guns Never Tire - 2000 points
Final Score
Iron Fists - 5 (First Blood, Line Breaker, 1 Objective held)
Tau - 5 (Destroyed Heavy Support, Line Breaker, 1 Objective held)

Army List
Farsight Cad
Commander - (Puretide Chip, Iridium, Talisman of Arthas, Fusion blades, FB, TL-FB, stims)

Crisis Team - MP, Plasma
Crisis Team
2x FB
2x FB, VRT
2x Flamer, Target Lock

Tau Cad
Farsight (Warlord)

Stealth Suits (6x)
Stealth Suits (6x)
Ghostkeel (Ion Raker, FB, Counterfire Defence, Stims)

Striker Team (12x + Devilfish, SMS, D-Pod, Sensor Spines)
Striker Team (12x + Devilfish, SMS, D-Pod, Sensor Spines)

Pathfinders (6x)

Hammerhead (Railgun w/ sub, 2x Seeker, D-Pod, Sensor Spines, Longstrike)

Vindicare Assassin
Last edited by materpillar on Jun 05 2016 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jun 05 2016 02:16

Tyranids, Space Wolves, Skitarii and Tau, huh? That's funny because those are the exact same armies we have in our group. Just more around 1k-2k points at the moment. :D

Nice batreps. Haven't actually "read" some for a long time (i much rather watch miniwargaming batreps on youtube).

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jun 17 2016 09:45

Vre'Oni'Dan brought her ghostkeel and the rest of her small scouting cadre to a halt as El'Mesa'Raik's voice jumped through her headset. "Vre'Oni'Dan, we're picking up readings that there is a force entrenched just ahead of you. Engage, and draw their attention but carefully as you will be heavily outnumbered. O'D'Doran'Elro will be covering your flank. O'J'Korst'Kha and El'D'Doran'Ny will engage once you've drawn the enemy out."

Before she'd even had time to relay any of her orders blood angels came flooding out of seemingly every crevice in front of her.

While a drop-pod slammed down between Illia and her knight. Unleashing a torrent of melta into its rear, while a vindicator tank and squad of bikes unloaded into its front armor.

The heavily wounded knight surged forward and utterly destroyed the squad of bikers in front of it. However, it's thermal cannon shot fell well wide of the group of death company it had been aiming for. Illia herself shot and shook the vindicator tank on her flank.

On Vre'Oni'Dan's flank one of the stealth teams unloaded on the razorback, wrecking it. While the hammerhead, shot and (with the assistance of the pathfinder team) exploded the other vindicator tank.

Dante and his sanguine guard showed up to support the advancing death company.

The death company assaulted and ripped Vre'Oni'Dan's ghostkeel limb from limb. While her supporting stealth team fled as a result of incoming fire from the drop pods.

Another drop pod also arrived, carrying a dreadnought and further boxing in the tau.

At least some of the tau, as one of the devilfish skimmed and then flat-outed, to slip through the enemy lines and secure objective 3. The sunshark also swooped onto the battlefield and dropped its bomb onto the enemy librarian and warlord. Killing him and two of his bodyguards.

Karen and O'j'Korst'Ka also arrived, whereupon O'J'Korst'Ka personally destroyed the wounded vindicator tank and one of the shas'vres torched the majority of the nearby scout squad. At the same time the knight opened up with its thermal cannon on Dante and his squad but the shot went wide again and instead ended up killing a pathfinder. Still it turned and stomped the squad of tactical marines in front of it to paste.

Dante turned and charged the troublesome knight. Resulting in its explosion after it killed one of his bodyguards.

However, that left him in the middle of a tau firing line. As he and his squad were wiped out by the combined firepower of the pathfinders, sunshark, devilfish, firewarriors, and Illia. Seeing the primary threat eliminated O'j'Korst'Ka and his squad turned and slew a couple of TAC marines.

The stealth team advanced and finished off the squad of marines in front of them.

The death company destroyed hammerhead as it shot one of the dreadnought's arms. The dreadnought assaulted and destroyed the devilfish, before being in turn destroyed by a multitude of shots into its rear armor by the remaining firewarriors. The firewarriors who were in turn assaulted and swept by the death company. Thus removing all tau presence from that corner of the board.

O'j'Korst'Ka advanced into the ruins, wiping out the last of the tactical squad. While Karen broke off and eliminated the two scouts that had been left alive last turn. At the same time the firewarriors, unloaded into the immobilized rhino and destroyed it.

The stealth team unloaded into the scout squad, then assaulted and killed the last member.

The tactical marines charged into combat with the tau, but only minimal casualties resulted.

However the death company (having just finished off the pathfinders) arrived and ended the combat in an abrupt fashion.

Karen opened up into the tactical squad. Killing one of the remaining members, before jumping into melee and finishing the rest. O'j'Korst'Ka followed her into combat, blinding and then slaying the three remaining members of the death company with his fusion blades (multi-assault). He then hopped around the corner and blew up the last remaining drop-pod (Illia had destroyed one of them earlier).

2500 Point Game
Farsight CAD
Commander - Puretide, Iridium, Talisman, Fusion-blades, FB, TL-FB, Stims
Crisis Team - 1x Plasma/MP
Crisis Team - 3x FB/FB, FB/FB + VRT, Flamer/Flamer + target lock

Normal CAD
Farsight - Warlord

12x Firewarriors + Devilfish (SMS/Sensor Spines/D-Pod)

Sunshark - TL-MP
6x Pathfinders

Hammerhead - Sensor spines/D-pod/Longstrike/RR w/ submunitions/2x Seeker

OSC
Ghostkeel - TL-FB, Counterfire defence
6x Stealth Team
6x Stealth Team

Vindicare Assassin
Knight Errant

Other notes: My vindicare assassin missed TWICE this game. Statistically it should be like once every other game. Silly.

First game I've ever used the knight. It killed more of my units (1 pathfinder) with its guns than it killed space marines (0 casualties) and it still felt like it paid for itself. If either of its shots had landed, this game would have been a massive stomp (so I'm glad they didn't).

In case your wondering why I never mentioned the monat crisis suit. I deep struck him aggressively behind the dreadnought and he scattered and died. This is why Farsight is always my warlord.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jul 01 2016 10:01

Upon returning to Akul to rest and rearm another Ethereal attempted to dispute Aun'Tash's position as the head of the Akul Contingent with an application of indiscriminate firepower.

5 turns later Aun'Tash decided to settle the dispute in a much more personal fashion.

I never thought I'd see the day where I greatly regretted not spending the 5-10 points on a melee weapon for my Ethereal or been so horrified by my enemy close combatant having a 5+ armor save. Sadly, combat ended in turn 6 with both Ethereals having dealt the other a wound. I also failed my sweeping advance when he failed moral even though it was I4 vs I3. Anyone else ever seen an Ethereal in a challenge with another Ethereal? Because I haven't and I doubt I ever will again.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jul 06 2016 12:20

Illia looked over ruins of the city. "The Eldar are just ahead of us. We need to strike them now, before they notice us."

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri moved her ghostkeel forward and obliterated the enemy death jester while Vre'Oni'Dan glanced a raider twice with her riptide before it was finished off by Illia. The rest of the Akul contingent advanced but was mostly out of range.

A squad of reavers screamed forward to threaten the fire warriors defending the objective on the Tau's right flank.

The raiders also floored it to arrive next to the tau battle lines.

At this point the air superiority cadre flew onto the board. However, two of the three razorsharks overheated with their quad ion turrets. While the third was unable to harm an enemy shadowseer as it hid in the ruins, the shadowseer even managed to dodge the markerlight guided seeker missile (5+ invuln).

Vre'Oni'Dan sighted down the road at the stranded wytches. However, to her left El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri failed to penetrate the enemy raider even while being within melta range (snake eyes). Thankfully Illia managed to down the raider (her second of the battle).

So instead of unloading into the wytches, Vre'Oni'Dan added her firepower to the rest of the army into the now vulnerable grotesques...

...all but completely destroying the unit.

On the right flank the squad of firewarriors held on (after having their squad size halved by a Talos) and killed all but one reaver...

...with a little bit of help.

The enemy shadowseer started a mind war with Illia, but only managed to wound her once, before his attack was repelled.

A squad of wytches jumped out of the remaining raider and, with some harlequin backup, slaughtered the squad of krootists.

At the same time a solitaire, mowed through the pathfinders as they helped overwatch with the firewarriors to put down the last of the grotesque squad. For the greater good!

The Firewarriors opened up into the enemy HQ's venom and completely destroyed it.

This allowed the stealth suits to mulch most of the incubi that had been hiding inside.

Without the squad of incubi to protect him, the razorsharks swooped over and exploded the dark eldar's warlord and shadowseer. Illia picked off the last remaining reaver while Vre'Oni'Dan killed a handful of scourges.

The devilfish tank shocked through multiple squads but none of them broke and ran. At the same time the razorshark unloaded into the scourge killing a handful, which caused them to break and completely flee from the battle.

As a result of their bravery the wytches were completely eliminated by a flood of pulse fire from the squad of firewarriors in front of them.

Karen and O'J'Korst'Kha arrived. Their body guard torching a handful of wytches while the main squad only managed to glance the raider in front of them twice.

Harliquins charged the squad of firewarriors and cut them all down, while the solitaire charged El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri...

...and destroyed her ghostkeel.

At the same time two squads of wytches opened fire on Karen and O'J'Korst'Kha, wounding both of them once, before charging into combat.

Karen accepted a hexatrix's challenge and was immediately wounded twice by the dark eldar's furious attacks. The remaining members of the two squads of the wytches descended on O'J'Korst'Kha in a flurry of blades. Thirteen armor saves later he remained unscathed and powered up his fusion blade to cut down a wytch while blinding the survivors. Backing him up Karen slew the hexatrix and two more wytches.

The enemy talos charged Vre'Oni'Dan, but neither was able to wound the other. While above their combat Illia picked off yet another raider (her third!).

Karen and O'J'Korst'Kha hit and ran out of battle, to force the wytches to endure another round of overwatch, during which several were slain by the body guard with his duel flamers and O'J'Korst'Kha killed one with his fusion blasters.

Upon being engaged in combat again, O'J'Korst'Kha challenged the enemy hexatrix and slew her and another wytch without issue. Similarly, Karen cut down a wytch. However, two of their body guards fell to the wytches during the re-engagement.

Solitare charged into the battle with Vre'Oni'Dan and the Talos and managed to wound her through her nova charged shield.

The squad of Harliquins retreated back to an objective having no obvious targets to engage.

However, they were immediately swarmed and bombarded into dust by the razorsharks.

The squad of Stealth Suits managed to finish their several turn long journey across the field to claim another objective.

O'J'Korst'Ka and Karen bounced out of combat a second time, and then assaulted to wipe out the remain wytches...

...before moving to claim linebreaker and another objective. At the same time in the background Vre'Oni'Dan continued to hold on, having taken three wounds and passing four leadership tests (Illia charged into combat and died to the solitaire) to continue to tar-pit the talos and solitaire.

Army List - 2000 points

Farsight CAD
Commander - Puretide, Iridium, Talisman, FB, TL-FB, Fusion-blades, Stims
Crisis Team - 3x FB/FB, FB/FB + VRT, Flamer/Flamer + target lock
10x Kroot

Normal CAD
Farsight - Warlord

Ghostkeel - Fusion Collider, TL-FB
Riptide - Heavy Burst, SMS, Stims
3x Stealth Suits

6x Pathfinders

7x Firewarriors

Air superiority cadre
3x Razorsharks - MP

Vindicare Assassin

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jul 28 2016 10:08

Here's a couple pictures from my 1000k point game against the wraithknight + eldar. Game itself wasn't particularly interesting. It was the relic, and I had infiltrators that grabbed it first turn. While I ran that to my deployment zone I killed most everything that wasn't named "wraithknight" while trying not to die to the wraithknight.

Karen going toe-to-toe with the wraithknight (she was a solitaire this game). She charged it having already failed two 3++ saves from shooting to various eldar guns. She did two wounds, and held up its shooting for a round before going down.

Illia (a shadowseer) failed to cast Mirror of Minds (warp charge 2), using 4 dice, 5 dice and then 5 dice. When it finally went off it dealt 2 wounds to the wraithknight. So together, the twins did 4 wounds to the wraithknight (and forced it to make around five 5++ saves). Here it is tactically retreating. :D

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jul 28 2016 11:54

Army List
Heroes' Path
Solitare - Cegorach's Rose <-Karen
Shadowseer - The Mask of Secrets <- Illia
Death Jester

CAD
Commander - Onager Gauntlet, Puretide Engram Neruochip, Iridium Armor, Plasma, Missile Pod, Stims, Vectored Retro-Thrusters <- O'J'Korst'Ka

Riptide - SMS, Heavy Burst Cannon, Stims, Counterfire Defense System <- Oni'Dan
Ghostkeel - TL-FB, Cyclic Ion Raker, Stims, Counterfire Defense System <- El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri
Crisis Team - 3x Plasma, Missile Pod

Kroot - 10x
Strike Team - 12x Devilfish, SMS, Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines
Strike Team - 12x Devilfish, SMS, Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines
Strike Team - 7x

Pathfinders - 6x
Piranha - FB
Piranha - FB

Sniper Drone Team - 3x Marksman
Skyray - Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines

The heretical dreadnought, having given over its soul to chaos stood in the midst of all its allies.

While Inquisitors Karen and Illia Verena advanced with the backup of a cadre from the Akul Contingent to purge the chaos before it could spread further.

On the right flank a piranha sped forward alongside Karen to claim objective 4. One of the piranha's gun drones opened up on the scouts, rolling snake eyes. Thankfully, the twinlinked guns got to re-roll, and it managed to get another snake eyes. El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri made up for the gun drones hilariously bad aim by obliterating all but the scout captain with a large blast from her ghostkeel. She managed to then hit the captain with a shot from her fusion blaster but failed to wound him. The blood angels weren't so unlucky and obliterated the piranha with a wave of lascannons to secure First Blood.

At the same time two drop pods crashed into the tau back-line. The enemy warlord with his squad of melta guns unloaded point blank into O'J'Korst'Ka. He was unphased by this wave of melta guns making all his cover and feel no pain saves, before promptly being wounded by the warlord's bolt pistol. The dreadnaught unleashed its heavy flamer into a squad of firewarriors, melting half of them.

In response the rest of the supporting firewarriors piled out of their devilfish and obliterated the dreadnaught.

At the same time O'J'Korst'Ka and his crisis team obliterated the enemy warlord in a wave of plasma and missile pods.

On the left flank the Krootists outflanked but stayed behind cover to avoid the large blast from the vindicator tank, while the piranha immobilized itself on the hill trying to get in melta range of the enemy dreadnaught. Illia failed her psychic power (for the second time) and the BS5 death jester (modeled as a sniper drone) rolled his a 1 to hit (for the second time).

Things went better on the right flank as Karen swiftly advanced and assaulted the razorback in front of her. Glancing and stunning it. A perfect result, giving her LOS blocking terrain, while immobilizing it for a turn so she could finish it off in the next assault phase.

In the middle of the field El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri took a wound from plasma cannons before she used her ghostkeel's melta gun to destroy the rhino that had immobilized itself in front of her. Vre'Oni'Dan moved to support her and eliminated the plasma wielding squad of marines with her heavy burst cannon before three wounds through her 3++ save from concentrated lascannon and meltagun fire.

The final dreadnought arrived in the tau backline looking to fry some firewarriors.

The heretical dreadnought summoned a squad of Pink Horrors, but periled (for the second time).

Another dreadnought assaulted Illia, wasn't even slowed as it instant deathed her with its hammer of wrath and ran down the other side of the hill. Note: sad immobilized piranha with fusion gun aimed in the incorrect direction.

The scout captain disembarked from the razorback he had holed up in and Hungry for Glory he charged Karen. He was immediately cut down, but his sacrifice did save the razorback from Karen.

Both squads of firewarriors fled back into the safety of their devilfish. At the same time the Skyray hit both its markerlights onto the enemy stormraven. It shot all 6 missiles at the gunship at BS6 and rolled 2 hits and four 1s. My opponent said "don't worry just call upon the number of the beast." I rerolled three 6s and a 4. He was not happy with his sarcastic comment and the stormraven crashed and burned from the resulting missile hits.

Wideshot of the battle's progress.

Karen blitzs into assault with the back-line tactical squad.

O'J'Korst'Ka advance down the middle of the table and destroys the heretical dreadnaught. Vre'Oni'dan and El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri ghostkeel open up into the tactical squad in front of them, but fail to completely wipe out the squad. Vre'Oni'Dan fails her attempt to nova charge and takes a wound, falling to only one left.

On the other flank the krootists fail their charge.

The last space marine returns fire on Vre'Oni'Dan and destroys her riptide with his meltagun.

The Sniper Drone (death jester) having rolled its third 1 to hit comes under heavy fire. Going to ground doesn't save it from the Vindicator tank.

The squad of pink horrors assault El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri, and she manages to slay one in overwatch, but nothing happens in the remaining combat.

In the backfield the dread, pens with its meltagun against a devilfish, but the devilfish makes its 6+ disruption pod save. It then assaults the devilfish and pens it twice but only shakes it.

Karen finishes off the remains of the tactical squad...

...before charging into combat with the pink horrors and dealing 5 wounds. All of which cause no casualties against the daemonic 5++ saves.

On the other side of the table the kroot and drones charge scouts.

While the firewarriors pile out and kill dreadnought.

The wounded devilfish is finally brought down with a lascannon shot.

O'J'Korst'Ka multi assaults, and his squad destroys the razorback while Karen and El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri clean up last of pink horrors over a couple of rounds of combat.

Karen consolidates out of combat and jumps over and destroys the predator tank while the kroot finish scouts off the scouts and manage to glance the last remaining dreadnought twice.

The wounded dreadnought charges Karen but is destroyed before it gets a chance to hit her.

We successfully roll of turn 6 and my opponent shoots up one of my squads of firewarriors with his drop-pods (earlier in the game they had wiped out my squad of pathfinders too). I move all relevant forces back towards the drop pods and destroy two of their guns, while taking a wound off the third with a tank shock from my devilfish. Having only 1 drop pod left with a gun and two unarmed droppods my opponent insists we go to turn 7 even though we roll that the game shouldn't continue. My skyray and devilfish tank shock the armed drop-pod to death (to the amusement of both of us). O'J'Korst'Ka and his squad destroy another with his missile pods. Karen assaults the final drop-pod and glances it once. My opponent celebrates not being tabled but sadly drop-pods cannot move so Karen finishes off the drop-pod at the bottom of turn 7 during my opponents assault phase.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jul 30 2016 12:34

Turn 1 - Left Flank

Turn 1 - Middle/Right Flank

Turn 3 - Hot mess
Turns out there isn't much board space with 9 fliers in a 3k point game. Here's a couple of other pictures I liked. I just love how tau fliers look in these games.

O'J'Korst'Ka and Karen doing their thing

Same photo, wide shot

Tael
Fio'O

Post#14 » Jul 30 2016 07:05

Only just caught up on your reports backlog, top stuff and enjoying the end of game insights. Good blend of narrative and reporting style too.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#15 » Aug 21 2016 10:08

"Enemy contact, patching you in. They seem to be some kind of outdated robotics. Maybe these are behind the recent attacks in this area. What do you make of them?". Images from O'D'Doran'Elro's sniper rifle flooded into Shas'o J'Korst'Kha's battlesuit's optics. His eyes widened, "Pull back now! Those are Necrons, expect extreme resistance! We're deploying to assist!" El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri's voice cut into the conversation "Affirmative commander. We'll hold out for the cavalry." before she flipped to the ground only comms-channel of those around her.

O'J'Korst'Kha hasitily flipped his comms-channel, and radioed the pilots around, him tension already bleeding into his voice. "Support El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri with all haste, keep an eye on the sky, they're likely to be bringing air support." He whirled on El'D'Doran'Ny. "El'D'Doran'Ny, prepare to eng--" *clang*

His battlesuits head vibrated from a minor impact and the optics relayed a burst of static. Slightly startled he scanned downwards to see El'D'Doran'Ny frowning up at him with her sword unsheathed, arms crossed, and rapidly tapping her right foot. He frowned and flipped his comms channel back to command only, "Did you just-". "Afraid. Too afraid." Annoyance dripped from El'D'Doran'Ny's voice. "I... Wha... Look you don't under-" *clang*

She'd brought her sword what looked like a lazy arc, slamming the flat side down on the armor platting directly above his head sending what felt like a shiver through the metal. O'J'Korst'Ka only managed to sputter out "Look you, insubordinate little-" before El'D'Doran'Ny sprang from the floor, and landed with, what he could only assume was, extreme grace on his battlesuit's shoulder. "Anger better, suppose. Not much."

O'J'Korst'Kha swiveled his battlesuit's head towards the figure casually sitting crossed-legged on its shoulder, shut his mouth and took a deep breath. After a few brief moments El'D'Doran'Ny smiled down at him and tapped a little beat into the rim of the battlesuit's forehead. "Better?" He gave her a slight nod. "So necrons?" she asked. "I've encountered this cadre of necrons before I met you and your sister. The only reason I managed to beat them last time was because they accidentally blew up their own tank with friendly fire. Even then, we barely pulled through and my force suffered heavy losses. Not something I'm looking to repeat."

El'D'Doran'Ny smile wilted slightly and she slid off his shoulder. "Understood. Where?" O'J'Korst'Kha brought up a schematic of the battlefield. "We'll strike here. Be prepared we're going to draw even more heat than we usually do. These guys don't mess around." El'D'Doran'Ny nodded and cut a way into the warp.

----------------------------------------------

Army List
Tau Cad
Farsight - Warlord (El'D'Doran'Ny)

Riptide - Ion Accelerator, SMS (Vre'Oni'Dan)
Ghostkeel - Fusion Collider, TL-Fusion Blaster (El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri)

Strike Team - 12x + Devilfish w/ SMS, Sensor Spines, Disruption Pod
Strike Team - 5x

Pathfinder Team - 6x

Skyray - SMS, Disruption Pod

Farsight Cad
Commander - Fusion Blaster, TL-Fusion Blaster, Fusion Blades, Stims, Iridium, Puretide Engram Neurochip, Talisman, Neuroweb Jammer (O'J'Korst'Ka)

Kroot - 10x w/ snipers
Crisis Team 3x members - 2x Fusion Blasters, 2x Fusion Blasters w/ VRT, 2x Flamer w/ target lock

Air Superiority Cadre - 3x Razorsharks with Missile Pod

Vindicare Assassin (O'D'Doran'Elro)

Down below El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri had quickly moved her cadre into a defensive position behind a nearby ruin with a small squad of firewarriors protecting the right flank, while the skyray and O'D'Doran'Elro protected the left flank.

The necron army quickly advanced forward but very little of their army had the ability actually hit the tau position. O'D'Doran'Elro had to go to ground to avoid the fire directed her way. Only one firewarrior was lost to all the necron's firepower.

The devilfish advanced and claimed the objective in the middle of the board while the rest of the army opened up on the wraiths and transport next to them. The transport managed to evade El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri melta shots. Vre'Oni'Dan's ion accelerator did minimal damage but she managed to down two wraiths with her double firing SMS. The Skyray also moved flat out to try and escape the enemy warlord on his catacomb command barge.

Unfortunately, one of the enemy destroyer squads manage to completely wipe out the firewarriors on the right flank.

At the same time the tomb blades advanced into cover (they moved on top of the slipper, position denoted by dice) and completely destroyed the squad of pathfinders. A short distance away the devilfish was glanced to death by various gauss weapons even through its attempts to jink the incoming fire.

The enemy wraiths managed to assault El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri, mostly as a result of her abyssal jump move of 2 the proceeding turn. Another enemy commander separated from the wraiths and assaulted the krootists. Both units lost combat, failed moral, and were lost to sweeping advances. Finally the catacomb command barge managed to make it into assault with the fleeing skyray and wrecked it.

El'D'Doran'Ny and O'J'Korst'Ka arrived from reserve with their body guards and barely managed to kill an enemy transport with the help of one of the razorsharks. The rest of the razorsharks opened up into a destroyer squad but only wounded one. Vre'Oni'Dan shot at the tomb blades, but her ion accelerator overheated and burned into her armor. Undeterred, she successfully charged the squad and slew two in close combat before crushing the rest as they fled.

Her victory was short lived as she suffered the brunt of the necron shooting and was successfully charged by the command barge and remains of the wraith squad. Her remaining two wounds were lost in the following assault.

The necron warriors unloaded directly into El'D'Doran'Ny, but she manage to weave through their hail of fire unscathed while O'J'Korst'Ka ate several of their heavier weapons for the squad. The duo then multi-assaulted a squad of destroyers and the warriors. Wounding a few, but sweeping both of the units as they tried to escape combat. The other squad of devastators moved to hit the more vulnerable crisis suits and cut down all of the duo's bodyguards...

...before charging into combat against the heavily wounded tau duo, alongside their warlord on his catacomb command barge. El'D'Doran'Ny accepted the warlord's challenge while O'J'Korst'Ka defended her back from the destroyers.

Tau Units Lost in Assault: 4 - (Warlords Lost: 0)
Necron Units Lost in Assault: 5 - (Warlords Lost: 1)
As it turns out, STR 5/AP2/Armour-bane with tank hunter is really good against vehicles.

Notes
Final Score
Necrons: 10+
Tau: 4-6ish

We called the game at the end of turn 4 as he had to leave soon, and it was pretty clear I had no way to come back. Also, he didn't really have any way to kill O'J'Korst'Ka and El'D'Doran'Ny (which was basically all I had left) as they had murdered most everything in that corner of the board (the razorsharks finished off the nearby wraiths too), so there was no point in continuing to see if he could avenge his warlord.

Turn 2, he got the maelstrom card that said you get 3+d3ish points if you kill 6 enemy units (which he did), so he got 6 points off that card, and I basically lost on the spot.

I knew my list was rather weak theoretically, but it's good enough to dumpster some people in the area (I have a couple of batreps where I win with an almost identical list above). This necron player is really rather good though, so I was curious to see how the list would hold up against a better player with a much stronger, formation filled list. I figured the answer would be poorly, but the game was quite a bit more one-sided than I expected. The only things I had left at the end of the game was O'J'Korst'Ka with one wound, El'D'Doran'Ny with two wounds, El'D'Doran'Elro with one wound, and my three razorsharks that he just ignored the whole game. Another turn of shooting and El'D'Doran'Elro was almost guaranteed dead, and likely a couple of my razorsharks. Next time I play him I'm going to drop all the fliers and vindicare so I can run a dawn blade with retaliation cadre, optimized stealth cadre, some missile sides and more kroot for bubble wrapping. Be a much better fight.

As for personal mistakes, I deployed my riptide way wrong. I should have put it somewhere that it would have LOS to a unit of destroyers, since it was basically the only thing in my army that could scuff them and they did a ton of damage to me. They were in some formation that gives them twin-linked and re-roll wounds. It was pretty brutal. I should have also dumped all my skyray's missiles into them turn 1, instead of trying to run away since he just caught and killed me.

So I thought the vindicare assassin was pretty bad previously. Thing is seriously utter trash against necrons. Every shot needs to kill a model for her to be worth it in a normal game. They have army wide 4+ FNP, so that's just not happening. She's basically a 150, "I'm going to ground to avoid losing first blood to that lascannon."

Last time I played this opponent the game type was Big Guns Never Tire. On the final turn he shot at O'J'Korst'Ka, and scattered onto his own tank. Scored a penetrating hit, and then rolled a 6 to explode it (open topped). This stopped him from contesting the objective O'J'Korst'Ka was on and got me a point for destroying a heavy support choice. I won that game by 1 point. We were both quite amused. I wasn't making that story up.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#16 » Aug 25 2016 01:41

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Army List
Commander - Neuroweb System Jammer, Onager Gauntlet, Puretide Engram Neuro chip, Iridium, Plasma, Missile Pod - O'J'Korst'Ka
Ethereal - Aun'Tash

Riptide - Heavy Burst Cannon, SMS, Stims, Counterfire Defense System - Vre'Oni'Dan
Ghostkeel - Fusion Collider, Fusion Blaste, Stims, Counterfire Defense System - El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri
Crisis Team - 3x Missile Pod, Plasma

Kroot - 13x sniper rounds
Strike team 8x
Strike team 11x, devilfish, SMS, D-pod, Sensor Spine
Strike team 12x, devilfish, SMS, D-pod, Sensor Spine

Pathfinder Team - 6x
Piranha - Fusion Blaster
Piranha - Fusion Blaster

Skyray - SMS, Disruption Pod, Sensor Spine

Heroes' Path
Solitare - Cegorach's Rose - Karen
Shadowseer - Masterly Level 2, Mask of Secrets - Illia
Death Jester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tau Turn 1 - Shooting

Orc Turn 1 - Movement

Orc Turn 2 - Movement (WAAAAAAGH!!!!)

Orc Turn 2 - Run Moves

Orc Turn 2 - Assaults
Aun'Tash challenges powerclaw wielding nob, to die so I'm more likely to get sweeping advanced. Truly for the greater good.

Orc Turn 2 Assault - Results
Enemy warlord also makes a 10" charge to reach O'J'Korst'Ka on the left flank and slays them all with his STR10 powerclaw.

Tau Retaliation - Karen assaults group of a boys and kills their nob in a challenge, then sweeps the unit.

Orc Turn 3 - Movement

Orc Turn 3 - Assault Results

Tau Turn 4 - Moving to contest objective 4

Tau Turn 4 - Retaliation - Vre'Oni'Dan makes a 10 inch charge to join Karen in assault with another squad of boys. Their boss is killed in a challenge with Karen and they're also swept.

Orc Turn 5 - Assault Phase
Ork warlord killed El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri the previous phase.

Game End
Tau Units Remaining - Karen (1 wound left), Vre'Oni'Dan (4 wounds left), Death Jester (unwounded)
Ork Units Remaining - Warboss (1 wound remaining), 3 Fliers, 1 squad of Ork Boys (camping backfield objective, completely outside of the combat)
Final Score : 12-14 Ork Victory

Notes
I always lose to orks. 0/4 against them now I think?

Game was silly close, but I made quite a few blunders. The final turn Illia tried to cast a Warp Charge 2 power with 5 dice and failed. This would have almost certainly killed the enemy warlord (only need to do 1 wound), which would have gotten me Slay the Warlord and prevented him from getting 3 points with it the next turn (secure objective 2, kill something in CC, and kill something in a challenge). His warlord trait was also re-roll the d3 points from maelstrom cards if you want and he re-rolled a 1 pointer to a 3 pointer. Turn 5, my riptide made a 17" assault move on 4 dice to get it within 2.9" inches of an objective and secure me 4 points.

As for my mistakes, my kroot screen was bad. Turns out you can just run within 1" of models while charging, so he just ran through them and multi-assaulted me. I also didn't focus fire properly and thus missed out on first blood, which would have resulted in a 13-13 tie if I'd managed it. I should have left my firewarriors in their devilfish until my turn 3, not many of them were within rapidfire range and his planes just ate them/they got assaulted to death. Just unloading them turn 3 would have been two squads of 12, in triple-tap range which would have utterly melted those boys. The final turn I shot my riptide at a single nob with a powerclaw moving towards objective 4, but I should have put all the firepower into his warlord, it was less likely to kill him but I just didn't realize how many points he could get with him that turn. There's also a good chance I should have just thrown my riptide at his warlord just to tie the man up for a turn or two earlier in the game also, that warlord just did so much damage to me.

Was considering doing a full fluff write up, then I realized it would just be. Tau character shoots orks. They die. Orks advance. Rinse and repeat. Figured the pictures told enough of a story.
Full Deployment

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Aug 26 2016 01:33

Good post. You're right, the pictures did tell the story. It's great that you're at least cognizant of your mistakes and know how to fix them. Keep 'em coming.

The blue/white terrain with the blue army is really easy on the eyes. Love it!

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#18 » Aug 30 2016 03:34

Heldericht wrote:Good post. You're right, the pictures did tell the story. It's great that you're at least cognizant of your mistakes and know how to fix them. Keep 'em coming.

The blue/white terrain with the blue army is really easy on the eyes. Love it!

Fun fact, my paint scheme is actually based on that table. The store owner painted his Dark Eldar bases to match that table and I liked how those bases looked (and figured they'd look good with my blue army). He was gracious enough to show me how to do that type of basing. So that's actually somewhat intentional.

Glad you're enjoying the reports. :D

I bet you'll like this one. Rematch time!
---------------------------------------------------

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri grimaced as she watched her father Aun'Tash storm into the command room, she knew the immense amounts of pain he was currently in, both mentally and physically, she had experienced it several times before herself. It wasn't a pleasant experience to have one's soul wrenched out of its walk into the afterlife and forcibly shoved into a new body. It was one of the proudest moments of her life watching her father call an Ork nob armed with a power claw into single combat in an attempt to protect those around him while being unarmed and unarmored himself. And it was her greatest failure that she had let the orks get into the position where that drastic measure was necessary.

The rest of the commanders stood up in deference as the ethereal entered (well everyone with the exception of El'D'Doran'Ny who was too focused on the maps in front of her, but that sort of disrespectful behavior from her was far too common and obviously unintentional for anyone to even bother wasting their time mentioning it). Aun'Tash immediately belted out "What is this about planning an attack on necrons? Call it off, I want to be gone from this cursed planet!" O'J'Korst'Kha nodded over to El'Mesa'Raik "Of coarse, we'll call it off. Prepare us for departure." El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri strode across the room and put a hand on her father's shoulder, "I don't believe that is a wise coarse of action? We haven't exactly dealt with the necrons and they're the ones whose presence drew us to this planet in the first place." Before anyone else could respond El'D'Doran'Ny slammed her fist on the table in front of her and immediately jumped into heatedly tirade in low gothic, and while most of the tau waited for a translation El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri face paled more and more with each sentence.

O'D'Doran'Elro responded uncharacteristically with just a slightest twinge of edge in her voice "What my sister said was that she votes that we move to eliminate the necrons as she has a mild desire for vengeance as a result of the fact I wasn't able to save Ui'Su'Siral's soul after the necrons killed him in our last encounter. I happen to agree with her and believe that leaving now would be irresponsible as the necrons' are clearly still up to something here." El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri almost gagged at the tameness of the translation, while she pondered for a split-second about how exactly one would go about force feeding a robot its own mother's heart.

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri gave her father's shoulder a squeeze. "You know the obligation we have to protect as many as we possibly can. Please give us your blessing to strike." Aun'Tash met her gaze, "Fine."

-------------------------------------------
Army List
Dawn Blade Contingent
Contingent Headquarters
Farsight - Warlord (El'D'Doran'Ny)
Crisis Body Guard (1 member) - 2x MP

Retaliation Cadre
Commander - Puretide, Iridium, Talisman, FB, TL-FB, Fusion-blades, Stims (O'J'Korst'Ka)
Riptide - Ion Accelerator, SMS, Stims (Vre'Oni'Dan)
Broadside - 1x Shas'ui, 1x Shas'vre HYMP, SMS
Crisis Team - 3x Members Plasma/Fusion
Crisis Team - 2x Members Plasma/Fusion
Crisis Team - 1x Member Plasma/Fusion

Assigned Air Asset
Razorshark - MP (proxied by a dakka jet, as I forgot my fliers again)

------

Optimized Stealth Cadre
Ghostkeel - Cyclic Ion Rakers, Tl-FB (El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri)
Stealth Team - 2x Burst Cannon, 1x Fusion Blaster
Stealth Team - 2x Burst Cannon, 1x Fusion Blaster

Oathsworn Detachment
Knight Paladin - Melta Gun - O'D'Doran'Elro
-------------------------------------------

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri moved her ghostkeel into position, and frowned as she stared across the battlefield at the necron force. She was not overly fond of being the bait in these kind of traps. Especially considering how fast these necrons seemed to redeploy. But her presence was necessary to support O'D'Doran'Elro. Even though O'D'Doran'Elro had manifested herself in her most powerful form, she still needed backup to not simply be overwhelmed by the necrons before the trap was sprung.

Upon noticing the small tau force the necrons surged forward and brought what firepower they could bear upon them. However, absolutely no wounds were suffered as a result.

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri moved towards the support of O'D'Doran'Elro, trying to escape from the advancing necron assault units. The tau's return fire managed to wound a destroyer and the catacomb barge but didn't cause any casualties.

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri's supporting stealth team broke away from her and moved into an incredibly vulnerable position in an attempt to draw away the wraiths and to secure objective three. Unfortunately, they were completely wiped out as a result (before the necron lord even got a chance to assault them).

On the other side of the battle, O'D'Doran'Elro came under in incredible amount of guass fire but her ion shield blocked 5 of the incoming glancing hits and she only takes a single hull point of damage. Unfortunately, El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri is cut down in assault by the Catacomb Command Barge.

The trap has been sprung but it isn't nearly as potent as desired. O'J'Korst'Ka failed to wound the ghost arc at all, while the stealth team does no damage to the Immortals. Thankfully, Vre'Oni'Dan and O'D'Doran'Elro kill two of the destroyers (with lascannon equivalents). O'D'Doran'Elro also fails her charge into the second squad of destroyers.

A little further away the Broadsides and Crisis Team fail to damage second ghost arc as it successfully jinks several melta shots.

The necrons retaliate and O'D'Doran'Elro again comes under heavy fire, this time losing 3 more hull points, while the rest of the necrons turn to face the new threats.

The wraiths and the catacomb command barge move into assault O'D'Doran'Elro with and try finish her off.

But they only manage to deal one more hull point to her (leaving her at one remaining) while she strikes down the catacomb command barge.

In the back-lines O'J'Korst'Ka and El'D'Doran'Ny are assaulted by a squad of scarabs in an attempt to tie them up. In the resulting combat El'D'Doran'Ny cuts through a swarm herself while O'J'Korst'Ka instant deaths two more swarms with his fusion blades completely destroying the enemy.

Unhindered by close combat O'J'Korst'Ka and El'D'Doran'Ny again open up on the ghost arc hoping to destroy it and then charge the warriors inside. Yet again they fail to harm the ghost arc and on top of that they then fail their charge into it, leaving the squad stranded and out of position. Vre'Oni'Dan has more success, blasting away all but one immortal who flees from the battle.

The broadsides shot into a squad of destroyers over the coarse of two turns but do only a single wound, so with desperation setting in, the broadsides simply assault the destroyers to prevent retaliation fire. In a similar situation, Vre'Oni'Dan assaults a different squad of destroyers in the midfield after doing negligible damage to them with her guns. (Note: Didn't take pictures turn 4)

Having been caught out of position O'J'Korst'Ka and El'D'Doran'Ny's squad is pounded and two of their shas'ui die before the squad is assaulted by the enemy warlord. El'D'Doran'Ny accepts the destroyer lord's challenge but fails her fear check caused by his mind-shackle scarabs. She is heavily wounded and the squad fails its moral check but successfully flees from combat. They regroup but fail to harm the ghost-arc again. Still heavily out of position O'J'Korst'Ka soaks up tons of fire from the enemy army but takes two more wounds before this time he accepts the enemy warlord's challenge. He too fails his fear test against the enemy warlord, but manages to slay him anyway (as a result of the extra attack from counterattack via Puretide Engram Chip).

Vre'Oni'Dan, after an unsuccessful first round of combat, managed to smash and instant death a destroyer. This resulted in the rest of the unit attempting to flee, but Vre'Oni'Dan swept them as they fled.

On the other side of the battle, in a minor miracle, O'D'Doran'Elro managed slay all 6 wraiths over the coarse of 4 unmentioned assault phases while sitting on a single hull-point before advancing forward and destroying an enemy ghost arc in assault (getting me big game hunter which I'd drawn first turn).

Vre'Oni'Dan and O'D'Doran'Elro combine their fire to slay three of the tomb scythes, but it these losses don't do enough as O'J'Korst'Ka still succumbs to the necron's firepower. Through his sacrifice El'D'Doran'Ny manages to survive with a single wound left.

Having survived yet another round of guass O'D'Doran'Elro backs up and assaults the destroyer squad that's been ineffectively brawling with the broadsides, yet she only manages to kill one. However, this is enough to cause the remaining one to attempt to flee combat, whereupon she sweeping advances him (getting me blood and guts, plus another point).

El'D'Doran'Ny retreats away from the remaining necron forces.

Board-state at game's end.

Notes

Final Score
12-13
Tau Victory!

So I was hugely demoralized during my turn 2, when my entire army arrives and I kill 1 destroyer. Basically thought I lost there. I did negligible damage to his army, he's going to shoot back and mincemeat me. With my imperial knight clearly about to die. I take some losses, but not as many as I expected. Then turn 3, I do basically no shooting damage again and fail my warlord's assault so they're going to get mauled. On-top of that, my imperial knight is going to die at any point now and a multitude of my cards seem basically un-achieve with him up like 8 points. Bottom of 3/Top of 4 I didn't even take any photos because I felt the game was so far gone that it wouldn't even be worth a write up.

Then, my imperial knight somehow kills all the wraiths. My riptide sweeps destroyers in combat with another simply tar-pitted by my broadsides. My warlord unit kills his warlord, and his army is looking fairly crippled. I managed to move around some of my monats to secure me ascendancy for 2-3 points, his Objective 5 card, and linebreaker. My imperial knight gets me big-game hunter, blood and guts, and "destroy a unit that started within 9" of one of your units". Suddenly in the coarse of two turns the game goes from vastly unwinnable to me getting around 9 points, taking me from losing about 4-10 to winning 13-12 with my warlord sitting on 1 wound and him holding "Kingslayer".

My imperial knight... should not have lived through that game. He had at least 20-30 dice he threw to wound it, needing a single 6 for her to die. Seriously, 4 rounds of CC with wraiths that'll rend her to death on a 6? Plus I made 5/6 invulnerable saves the first or second turn? Yah. Statistical miracle for me.

Other silly things, the second time the enemy warlord charged O'J'Korst'Ka he was wounded once in overwatch. Then, O'J'Korst'Ka missed with first 4 attacks. I remembered I have +1 attack for counter-attack from puretide chip. Roll it, and that attack kills the warlord. Living life on the edge.

Screw his ghost arcs. First turn I got "Big Game Hunter" and I was like "Oh, that should be pretty easy to achieve. I'll just melta his transports to break their shields and them plasma them to death (if necessary)". Cue jink saves on every penetrating hit so my plasma couldn't even hurt them. Cue failed charge with farsight's armorbane sword and O'J'Korst'Ka's melta sword. I spent so much time trying to kill those stupid tanks.

I still don't grasp what I should be doing with my ghostkeel. It just always gets assaulted by stuff and dies or is hilariously out of range and does nothing. Maybe I should try deep striking her, she never does anything the first couple of turns anyways.

materpillar wrote:Next time I play him I'm going to drop all the fliers and vindicare so I can run a dawn blade with retaliation cadre, optimized stealth cadre, some missile sides and more kroot for bubble wrapping. Be a much better fight.

From my previous tango with him. Didn't go with the kroot, but I'm glad my theory crafting was pretty on point. If I play against him again (which is highly likely), I'll probably try a huge castling bundle with tons of markerlights. No idea how well that'll work but it sounds interesting. The main way to make my list stronger (with what I own) would be throwing in a Y'Vahra or two (and proper markerlight support) and I think those riptides might be too strong for his destroyer filled list to deal with. Dunno.

Return to “Battle Reports”