Akul Contingent Batreps

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
materpillar
Shas'La

Re: Akul Contingent Batreps

Post#11 » Jul 28 2016 10:08

Here's a couple pictures from my 1000k point game against the wraithknight + eldar. Game itself wasn't particularly interesting. It was the relic, and I had infiltrators that grabbed it first turn. While I ran that to my deployment zone I killed most everything that wasn't named "wraithknight" while trying not to die to the wraithknight.

Karen going toe-to-toe with the wraithknight (she was a solitaire this game). She charged it having already failed two 3++ saves from shooting to various eldar guns. She did two wounds, and held up its shooting for a round before going down.

Illia (a shadowseer) failed to cast Mirror of Minds (warp charge 2), using 4 dice, 5 dice and then 5 dice. When it finally went off it dealt 2 wounds to the wraithknight. So together, the twins did 4 wounds to the wraithknight (and forced it to make around five 5++ saves). Here it is tactically retreating. :D
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 52-16-8

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jul 28 2016 11:54

Army List
Heroes' Path
Solitare - Cegorach's Rose <-Karen
Shadowseer - The Mask of Secrets <- Illia
Death Jester

CAD
Commander - Onager Gauntlet, Puretide Engram Neruochip, Iridium Armor, Plasma, Missile Pod, Stims, Vectored Retro-Thrusters <- O'J'Korst'Ka

Riptide - SMS, Heavy Burst Cannon, Stims, Counterfire Defense System <- Oni'Dan
Ghostkeel - TL-FB, Cyclic Ion Raker, Stims, Counterfire Defense System <- El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri
Crisis Team - 3x Plasma, Missile Pod

Kroot - 10x
Strike Team - 12x Devilfish, SMS, Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines
Strike Team - 12x Devilfish, SMS, Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines
Strike Team - 7x

Pathfinders - 6x
Piranha - FB
Piranha - FB

Sniper Drone Team - 3x Marksman
Skyray - Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines

The heretical dreadnought, having given over its soul to chaos stood in the midst of all its allies.

While Inquisitors Karen and Illia Verena advanced with the backup of a cadre from the Akul Contingent to purge the chaos before it could spread further.

On the right flank a piranha sped forward alongside Karen to claim objective 4. One of the piranha's gun drones opened up on the scouts, rolling snake eyes. Thankfully, the twinlinked guns got to re-roll, and it managed to get another snake eyes. El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri made up for the gun drones hilariously bad aim by obliterating all but the scout captain with a large blast from her ghostkeel. She managed to then hit the captain with a shot from her fusion blaster but failed to wound him. The blood angels weren't so unlucky and obliterated the piranha with a wave of lascannons to secure First Blood.

At the same time two drop pods crashed into the tau back-line. The enemy warlord with his squad of melta guns unloaded point blank into O'J'Korst'Ka. He was unphased by this wave of melta guns making all his cover and feel no pain saves, before promptly being wounded by the warlord's bolt pistol. The dreadnaught unleashed its heavy flamer into a squad of firewarriors, melting half of them.

In response the rest of the supporting firewarriors piled out of their devilfish and obliterated the dreadnaught.

At the same time O'J'Korst'Ka and his crisis team obliterated the enemy warlord in a wave of plasma and missile pods.

On the left flank the Krootists outflanked but stayed behind cover to avoid the large blast from the vindicator tank, while the piranha immobilized itself on the hill trying to get in melta range of the enemy dreadnaught. Illia failed her psychic power (for the second time) and the BS5 death jester (modeled as a sniper drone) rolled his a 1 to hit (for the second time).

Things went better on the right flank as Karen swiftly advanced and assaulted the razorback in front of her. Glancing and stunning it. A perfect result, giving her LOS blocking terrain, while immobilizing it for a turn so she could finish it off in the next assault phase.

In the middle of the field El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri took a wound from plasma cannons before she used her ghostkeel's melta gun to destroy the rhino that had immobilized itself in front of her. Vre'Oni'Dan moved to support her and eliminated the plasma wielding squad of marines with her heavy burst cannon before three wounds through her 3++ save from concentrated lascannon and meltagun fire.

The final dreadnought arrived in the tau backline looking to fry some firewarriors.

The heretical dreadnought summoned a squad of Pink Horrors, but periled (for the second time).

Another dreadnought assaulted Illia, wasn't even slowed as it instant deathed her with its hammer of wrath and ran down the other side of the hill. Note: sad immobilized piranha with fusion gun aimed in the incorrect direction.

The scout captain disembarked from the razorback he had holed up in and Hungry for Glory he charged Karen. He was immediately cut down, but his sacrifice did save the razorback from Karen.

Both squads of firewarriors fled back into the safety of their devilfish. At the same time the Skyray hit both its markerlights onto the enemy stormraven. It shot all 6 missiles at the gunship at BS6 and rolled 2 hits and four 1s. My opponent said "don't worry just call upon the number of the beast." I rerolled three 6s and a 4. He was not happy with his sarcastic comment and the stormraven crashed and burned from the resulting missile hits.

Wideshot of the battle's progress.

Karen blitzs into assault with the back-line tactical squad.

O'J'Korst'Ka advance down the middle of the table and destroys the heretical dreadnaught. Vre'Oni'dan and El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri ghostkeel open up into the tactical squad in front of them, but fail to completely wipe out the squad. Vre'Oni'Dan fails her attempt to nova charge and takes a wound, falling to only one left.

On the other flank the krootists fail their charge.

The last space marine returns fire on Vre'Oni'Dan and destroys her riptide with his meltagun.

The Sniper Drone (death jester) having rolled its third 1 to hit comes under heavy fire. Going to ground doesn't save it from the Vindicator tank.

The squad of pink horrors assault El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri, and she manages to slay one in overwatch, but nothing happens in the remaining combat.

In the backfield the dread, pens with its meltagun against a devilfish, but the devilfish makes its 6+ disruption pod save. It then assaults the devilfish and pens it twice but only shakes it.

Karen finishes off the remains of the tactical squad...

...before charging into combat with the pink horrors and dealing 5 wounds. All of which cause no casualties against the daemonic 5++ saves.

On the other side of the table the kroot and drones charge scouts.

While the firewarriors pile out and kill dreadnought.

The wounded devilfish is finally brought down with a lascannon shot.

O'J'Korst'Ka multi assaults, and his squad destroys the razorback while Karen and El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri clean up last of pink horrors over a couple of rounds of combat.

Karen consolidates out of combat and jumps over and destroys the predator tank while the kroot finish scouts off the scouts and manage to glance the last remaining dreadnought twice.

The wounded dreadnought charges Karen but is destroyed before it gets a chance to hit her.

We successfully roll of turn 6 and my opponent shoots up one of my squads of firewarriors with his drop-pods (earlier in the game they had wiped out my squad of pathfinders too). I move all relevant forces back towards the drop pods and destroy two of their guns, while taking a wound off the third with a tank shock from my devilfish. Having only 1 drop pod left with a gun and two unarmed droppods my opponent insists we go to turn 7 even though we roll that the game shouldn't continue. My skyray and devilfish tank shock the armed drop-pod to death (to the amusement of both of us). O'J'Korst'Ka and his squad destroy another with his missile pods. Karen assaults the final drop-pod and glances it once. My opponent celebrates not being tabled but sadly drop-pods cannot move so Karen finishes off the drop-pod at the bottom of turn 7 during my opponents assault phase.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jul 30 2016 12:34

Turn 1 - Left Flank

Turn 1 - Middle/Right Flank

Turn 3 - Hot mess
Turns out there isn't much board space with 9 fliers in a 3k point game. Here's a couple of other pictures I liked. I just love how tau fliers look in these games.

O'J'Korst'Ka and Karen doing their thing

Same photo, wide shot

Tael
Fio'O

Post#14 » Jul 30 2016 07:05

Only just caught up on your reports backlog, top stuff and enjoying the end of game insights. Good blend of narrative and reporting style too.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#15 » Aug 21 2016 10:08

"Enemy contact, patching you in. They seem to be some kind of outdated robotics. Maybe these are behind the recent attacks in this area. What do you make of them?". Images from O'D'Doran'Elro's sniper rifle flooded into Shas'o J'Korst'Kha's battlesuit's optics. His eyes widened, "Pull back now! Those are Necrons, expect extreme resistance! We're deploying to assist!" El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri's voice cut into the conversation "Affirmative commander. We'll hold out for the cavalry." before she flipped to the ground only comms-channel of those around her.

O'J'Korst'Kha hasitily flipped his comms-channel, and radioed the pilots around, him tension already bleeding into his voice. "Support El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri with all haste, keep an eye on the sky, they're likely to be bringing air support." He whirled on El'D'Doran'Ny. "El'D'Doran'Ny, prepare to eng--" *clang*

His battlesuits head vibrated from a minor impact and the optics relayed a burst of static. Slightly startled he scanned downwards to see El'D'Doran'Ny frowning up at him with her sword unsheathed, arms crossed, and rapidly tapping her right foot. He frowned and flipped his comms channel back to command only, "Did you just-". "Afraid. Too afraid." Annoyance dripped from El'D'Doran'Ny's voice. "I... Wha... Look you don't under-" *clang*

She'd brought her sword what looked like a lazy arc, slamming the flat side down on the armor platting directly above his head sending what felt like a shiver through the metal. O'J'Korst'Ka only managed to sputter out "Look you, insubordinate little-" before El'D'Doran'Ny sprang from the floor, and landed with, what he could only assume was, extreme grace on his battlesuit's shoulder. "Anger better, suppose. Not much."

O'J'Korst'Kha swiveled his battlesuit's head towards the figure casually sitting crossed-legged on its shoulder, shut his mouth and took a deep breath. After a few brief moments El'D'Doran'Ny smiled down at him and tapped a little beat into the rim of the battlesuit's forehead. "Better?" He gave her a slight nod. "So necrons?" she asked. "I've encountered this cadre of necrons before I met you and your sister. The only reason I managed to beat them last time was because they accidentally blew up their own tank with friendly fire. Even then, we barely pulled through and my force suffered heavy losses. Not something I'm looking to repeat."

El'D'Doran'Ny smile wilted slightly and she slid off his shoulder. "Understood. Where?" O'J'Korst'Kha brought up a schematic of the battlefield. "We'll strike here. Be prepared we're going to draw even more heat than we usually do. These guys don't mess around." El'D'Doran'Ny nodded and cut a way into the warp.

----------------------------------------------

Army List
Tau Cad
Farsight - Warlord (El'D'Doran'Ny)

Riptide - Ion Accelerator, SMS (Vre'Oni'Dan)
Ghostkeel - Fusion Collider, TL-Fusion Blaster (El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri)

Strike Team - 12x + Devilfish w/ SMS, Sensor Spines, Disruption Pod
Strike Team - 5x

Pathfinder Team - 6x

Skyray - SMS, Disruption Pod

Farsight Cad
Commander - Fusion Blaster, TL-Fusion Blaster, Fusion Blades, Stims, Iridium, Puretide Engram Neurochip, Talisman, Neuroweb Jammer (O'J'Korst'Ka)

Kroot - 10x w/ snipers
Crisis Team 3x members - 2x Fusion Blasters, 2x Fusion Blasters w/ VRT, 2x Flamer w/ target lock

Air Superiority Cadre - 3x Razorsharks with Missile Pod

Vindicare Assassin (O'D'Doran'Elro)

Down below El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri had quickly moved her cadre into a defensive position behind a nearby ruin with a small squad of firewarriors protecting the right flank, while the skyray and O'D'Doran'Elro protected the left flank.

The necron army quickly advanced forward but very little of their army had the ability actually hit the tau position. O'D'Doran'Elro had to go to ground to avoid the fire directed her way. Only one firewarrior was lost to all the necron's firepower.

The devilfish advanced and claimed the objective in the middle of the board while the rest of the army opened up on the wraiths and transport next to them. The transport managed to evade El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri melta shots. Vre'Oni'Dan's ion accelerator did minimal damage but she managed to down two wraiths with her double firing SMS. The Skyray also moved flat out to try and escape the enemy warlord on his catacomb command barge.

Unfortunately, one of the enemy destroyer squads manage to completely wipe out the firewarriors on the right flank.

At the same time the tomb blades advanced into cover (they moved on top of the slipper, position denoted by dice) and completely destroyed the squad of pathfinders. A short distance away the devilfish was glanced to death by various gauss weapons even through its attempts to jink the incoming fire.

The enemy wraiths managed to assault El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri, mostly as a result of her abyssal jump move of 2 the proceeding turn. Another enemy commander separated from the wraiths and assaulted the krootists. Both units lost combat, failed moral, and were lost to sweeping advances. Finally the catacomb command barge managed to make it into assault with the fleeing skyray and wrecked it.

El'D'Doran'Ny and O'J'Korst'Ka arrived from reserve with their body guards and barely managed to kill an enemy transport with the help of one of the razorsharks. The rest of the razorsharks opened up into a destroyer squad but only wounded one. Vre'Oni'Dan shot at the tomb blades, but her ion accelerator overheated and burned into her armor. Undeterred, she successfully charged the squad and slew two in close combat before crushing the rest as they fled.

Her victory was short lived as she suffered the brunt of the necron shooting and was successfully charged by the command barge and remains of the wraith squad. Her remaining two wounds were lost in the following assault.

The necron warriors unloaded directly into El'D'Doran'Ny, but she manage to weave through their hail of fire unscathed while O'J'Korst'Ka ate several of their heavier weapons for the squad. The duo then multi-assaulted a squad of destroyers and the warriors. Wounding a few, but sweeping both of the units as they tried to escape combat. The other squad of devastators moved to hit the more vulnerable crisis suits and cut down all of the duo's bodyguards...

...before charging into combat against the heavily wounded tau duo, alongside their warlord on his catacomb command barge. El'D'Doran'Ny accepted the warlord's challenge while O'J'Korst'Ka defended her back from the destroyers.

Tau Units Lost in Assault: 4 - (Warlords Lost: 0)
Necron Units Lost in Assault: 5 - (Warlords Lost: 1)
As it turns out, STR 5/AP2/Armour-bane with tank hunter is really good against vehicles.

Notes
Final Score
Necrons: 10+
Tau: 4-6ish

We called the game at the end of turn 4 as he had to leave soon, and it was pretty clear I had no way to come back. Also, he didn't really have any way to kill O'J'Korst'Ka and El'D'Doran'Ny (which was basically all I had left) as they had murdered most everything in that corner of the board (the razorsharks finished off the nearby wraiths too), so there was no point in continuing to see if he could avenge his warlord.

Turn 2, he got the maelstrom card that said you get 3+d3ish points if you kill 6 enemy units (which he did), so he got 6 points off that card, and I basically lost on the spot.

I knew my list was rather weak theoretically, but it's good enough to dumpster some people in the area (I have a couple of batreps where I win with an almost identical list above). This necron player is really rather good though, so I was curious to see how the list would hold up against a better player with a much stronger, formation filled list. I figured the answer would be poorly, but the game was quite a bit more one-sided than I expected. The only things I had left at the end of the game was O'J'Korst'Ka with one wound, El'D'Doran'Ny with two wounds, El'D'Doran'Elro with one wound, and my three razorsharks that he just ignored the whole game. Another turn of shooting and El'D'Doran'Elro was almost guaranteed dead, and likely a couple of my razorsharks. Next time I play him I'm going to drop all the fliers and vindicare so I can run a dawn blade with retaliation cadre, optimized stealth cadre, some missile sides and more kroot for bubble wrapping. Be a much better fight.

As for personal mistakes, I deployed my riptide way wrong. I should have put it somewhere that it would have LOS to a unit of destroyers, since it was basically the only thing in my army that could scuff them and they did a ton of damage to me. They were in some formation that gives them twin-linked and re-roll wounds. It was pretty brutal. I should have also dumped all my skyray's missiles into them turn 1, instead of trying to run away since he just caught and killed me.

So I thought the vindicare assassin was pretty bad previously. Thing is seriously utter trash against necrons. Every shot needs to kill a model for her to be worth it in a normal game. They have army wide 4+ FNP, so that's just not happening. She's basically a 150, "I'm going to ground to avoid losing first blood to that lascannon."

Last time I played this opponent the game type was Big Guns Never Tire. On the final turn he shot at O'J'Korst'Ka, and scattered onto his own tank. Scored a penetrating hit, and then rolled a 6 to explode it (open topped). This stopped him from contesting the objective O'J'Korst'Ka was on and got me a point for destroying a heavy support choice. I won that game by 1 point. We were both quite amused. I wasn't making that story up.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#16 » Aug 25 2016 01:41

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Army List
Commander - Neuroweb System Jammer, Onager Gauntlet, Puretide Engram Neuro chip, Iridium, Plasma, Missile Pod - O'J'Korst'Ka
Ethereal - Aun'Tash

Riptide - Heavy Burst Cannon, SMS, Stims, Counterfire Defense System - Vre'Oni'Dan
Ghostkeel - Fusion Collider, Fusion Blaste, Stims, Counterfire Defense System - El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri
Crisis Team - 3x Missile Pod, Plasma

Kroot - 13x sniper rounds
Strike team 8x
Strike team 11x, devilfish, SMS, D-pod, Sensor Spine
Strike team 12x, devilfish, SMS, D-pod, Sensor Spine

Pathfinder Team - 6x
Piranha - Fusion Blaster
Piranha - Fusion Blaster

Skyray - SMS, Disruption Pod, Sensor Spine

Heroes' Path
Solitare - Cegorach's Rose - Karen
Shadowseer - Masterly Level 2, Mask of Secrets - Illia
Death Jester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tau Turn 1 - Shooting

Orc Turn 1 - Movement

Orc Turn 2 - Movement (WAAAAAAGH!!!!)

Orc Turn 2 - Run Moves

Orc Turn 2 - Assaults
Aun'Tash challenges powerclaw wielding nob, to die so I'm more likely to get sweeping advanced. Truly for the greater good.

Orc Turn 2 Assault - Results
Enemy warlord also makes a 10" charge to reach O'J'Korst'Ka on the left flank and slays them all with his STR10 powerclaw.

Tau Retaliation - Karen assaults group of a boys and kills their nob in a challenge, then sweeps the unit.

Orc Turn 3 - Movement

Orc Turn 3 - Assault Results

Tau Turn 4 - Moving to contest objective 4

Tau Turn 4 - Retaliation - Vre'Oni'Dan makes a 10 inch charge to join Karen in assault with another squad of boys. Their boss is killed in a challenge with Karen and they're also swept.

Orc Turn 5 - Assault Phase
Ork warlord killed El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri the previous phase.

Game End
Tau Units Remaining - Karen (1 wound left), Vre'Oni'Dan (4 wounds left), Death Jester (unwounded)
Ork Units Remaining - Warboss (1 wound remaining), 3 Fliers, 1 squad of Ork Boys (camping backfield objective, completely outside of the combat)
Final Score : 12-14 Ork Victory

Notes
I always lose to orks. 0/4 against them now I think?

Game was silly close, but I made quite a few blunders. The final turn Illia tried to cast a Warp Charge 2 power with 5 dice and failed. This would have almost certainly killed the enemy warlord (only need to do 1 wound), which would have gotten me Slay the Warlord and prevented him from getting 3 points with it the next turn (secure objective 2, kill something in CC, and kill something in a challenge). His warlord trait was also re-roll the d3 points from maelstrom cards if you want and he re-rolled a 1 pointer to a 3 pointer. Turn 5, my riptide made a 17" assault move on 4 dice to get it within 2.9" inches of an objective and secure me 4 points.

As for my mistakes, my kroot screen was bad. Turns out you can just run within 1" of models while charging, so he just ran through them and multi-assaulted me. I also didn't focus fire properly and thus missed out on first blood, which would have resulted in a 13-13 tie if I'd managed it. I should have left my firewarriors in their devilfish until my turn 3, not many of them were within rapidfire range and his planes just ate them/they got assaulted to death. Just unloading them turn 3 would have been two squads of 12, in triple-tap range which would have utterly melted those boys. The final turn I shot my riptide at a single nob with a powerclaw moving towards objective 4, but I should have put all the firepower into his warlord, it was less likely to kill him but I just didn't realize how many points he could get with him that turn. There's also a good chance I should have just thrown my riptide at his warlord just to tie the man up for a turn or two earlier in the game also, that warlord just did so much damage to me.

Was considering doing a full fluff write up, then I realized it would just be. Tau character shoots orks. They die. Orks advance. Rinse and repeat. Figured the pictures told enough of a story.
Full Deployment

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Aug 26 2016 01:33

Good post. You're right, the pictures did tell the story. It's great that you're at least cognizant of your mistakes and know how to fix them. Keep 'em coming.

The blue/white terrain with the blue army is really easy on the eyes. Love it!

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#18 » Aug 30 2016 03:34

Heldericht wrote:Good post. You're right, the pictures did tell the story. It's great that you're at least cognizant of your mistakes and know how to fix them. Keep 'em coming.

The blue/white terrain with the blue army is really easy on the eyes. Love it!

Fun fact, my paint scheme is actually based on that table. The store owner painted his Dark Eldar bases to match that table and I liked how those bases looked (and figured they'd look good with my blue army). He was gracious enough to show me how to do that type of basing. So that's actually somewhat intentional.

Glad you're enjoying the reports. :D

I bet you'll like this one. Rematch time!
---------------------------------------------------

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri grimaced as she watched her father Aun'Tash storm into the command room, she knew the immense amounts of pain he was currently in, both mentally and physically, she had experienced it several times before herself. It wasn't a pleasant experience to have one's soul wrenched out of its walk into the afterlife and forcibly shoved into a new body. It was one of the proudest moments of her life watching her father call an Ork nob armed with a power claw into single combat in an attempt to protect those around him while being unarmed and unarmored himself. And it was her greatest failure that she had let the orks get into the position where that drastic measure was necessary.

The rest of the commanders stood up in deference as the ethereal entered (well everyone with the exception of El'D'Doran'Ny who was too focused on the maps in front of her, but that sort of disrespectful behavior from her was far too common and obviously unintentional for anyone to even bother wasting their time mentioning it). Aun'Tash immediately belted out "What is this about planning an attack on necrons? Call it off, I want to be gone from this cursed planet!" O'J'Korst'Kha nodded over to El'Mesa'Raik "Of coarse, we'll call it off. Prepare us for departure." El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri strode across the room and put a hand on her father's shoulder, "I don't believe that is a wise coarse of action? We haven't exactly dealt with the necrons and they're the ones whose presence drew us to this planet in the first place." Before anyone else could respond El'D'Doran'Ny slammed her fist on the table in front of her and immediately jumped into heatedly tirade in low gothic, and while most of the tau waited for a translation El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri face paled more and more with each sentence.

O'D'Doran'Elro responded uncharacteristically with just a slightest twinge of edge in her voice "What my sister said was that she votes that we move to eliminate the necrons as she has a mild desire for vengeance as a result of the fact I wasn't able to save Ui'Su'Siral's soul after the necrons killed him in our last encounter. I happen to agree with her and believe that leaving now would be irresponsible as the necrons' are clearly still up to something here." El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri almost gagged at the tameness of the translation, while she pondered for a split-second about how exactly one would go about force feeding a robot its own mother's heart.

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri gave her father's shoulder a squeeze. "You know the obligation we have to protect as many as we possibly can. Please give us your blessing to strike." Aun'Tash met her gaze, "Fine."

-------------------------------------------
Army List
Dawn Blade Contingent
Contingent Headquarters
Farsight - Warlord (El'D'Doran'Ny)
Crisis Body Guard (1 member) - 2x MP

Retaliation Cadre
Commander - Puretide, Iridium, Talisman, FB, TL-FB, Fusion-blades, Stims (O'J'Korst'Ka)
Riptide - Ion Accelerator, SMS, Stims (Vre'Oni'Dan)
Broadside - 1x Shas'ui, 1x Shas'vre HYMP, SMS
Crisis Team - 3x Members Plasma/Fusion
Crisis Team - 2x Members Plasma/Fusion
Crisis Team - 1x Member Plasma/Fusion

Assigned Air Asset
Razorshark - MP (proxied by a dakka jet, as I forgot my fliers again)

------

Optimized Stealth Cadre
Ghostkeel - Cyclic Ion Rakers, Tl-FB (El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri)
Stealth Team - 2x Burst Cannon, 1x Fusion Blaster
Stealth Team - 2x Burst Cannon, 1x Fusion Blaster

Oathsworn Detachment
Knight Paladin - Melta Gun - O'D'Doran'Elro
-------------------------------------------

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri moved her ghostkeel into position, and frowned as she stared across the battlefield at the necron force. She was not overly fond of being the bait in these kind of traps. Especially considering how fast these necrons seemed to redeploy. But her presence was necessary to support O'D'Doran'Elro. Even though O'D'Doran'Elro had manifested herself in her most powerful form, she still needed backup to not simply be overwhelmed by the necrons before the trap was sprung.

Upon noticing the small tau force the necrons surged forward and brought what firepower they could bear upon them. However, absolutely no wounds were suffered as a result.

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri moved towards the support of O'D'Doran'Elro, trying to escape from the advancing necron assault units. The tau's return fire managed to wound a destroyer and the catacomb barge but didn't cause any casualties.

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri's supporting stealth team broke away from her and moved into an incredibly vulnerable position in an attempt to draw away the wraiths and to secure objective three. Unfortunately, they were completely wiped out as a result (before the necron lord even got a chance to assault them).

On the other side of the battle, O'D'Doran'Elro came under in incredible amount of guass fire but her ion shield blocked 5 of the incoming glancing hits and she only takes a single hull point of damage. Unfortunately, El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri is cut down in assault by the Catacomb Command Barge.

The trap has been sprung but it isn't nearly as potent as desired. O'J'Korst'Ka failed to wound the ghost arc at all, while the stealth team does no damage to the Immortals. Thankfully, Vre'Oni'Dan and O'D'Doran'Elro kill two of the destroyers (with lascannon equivalents). O'D'Doran'Elro also fails her charge into the second squad of destroyers.

A little further away the Broadsides and Crisis Team fail to damage second ghost arc as it successfully jinks several melta shots.

The necrons retaliate and O'D'Doran'Elro again comes under heavy fire, this time losing 3 more hull points, while the rest of the necrons turn to face the new threats.

The wraiths and the catacomb command barge move into assault O'D'Doran'Elro with and try finish her off.

But they only manage to deal one more hull point to her (leaving her at one remaining) while she strikes down the catacomb command barge.

In the back-lines O'J'Korst'Ka and El'D'Doran'Ny are assaulted by a squad of scarabs in an attempt to tie them up. In the resulting combat El'D'Doran'Ny cuts through a swarm herself while O'J'Korst'Ka instant deaths two more swarms with his fusion blades completely destroying the enemy.

Unhindered by close combat O'J'Korst'Ka and El'D'Doran'Ny again open up on the ghost arc hoping to destroy it and then charge the warriors inside. Yet again they fail to harm the ghost arc and on top of that they then fail their charge into it, leaving the squad stranded and out of position. Vre'Oni'Dan has more success, blasting away all but one immortal who flees from the battle.

The broadsides shot into a squad of destroyers over the coarse of two turns but do only a single wound, so with desperation setting in, the broadsides simply assault the destroyers to prevent retaliation fire. In a similar situation, Vre'Oni'Dan assaults a different squad of destroyers in the midfield after doing negligible damage to them with her guns. (Note: Didn't take pictures turn 4)

Having been caught out of position O'J'Korst'Ka and El'D'Doran'Ny's squad is pounded and two of their shas'ui die before the squad is assaulted by the enemy warlord. El'D'Doran'Ny accepts the destroyer lord's challenge but fails her fear check caused by his mind-shackle scarabs. She is heavily wounded and the squad fails its moral check but successfully flees from combat. They regroup but fail to harm the ghost-arc again. Still heavily out of position O'J'Korst'Ka soaks up tons of fire from the enemy army but takes two more wounds before this time he accepts the enemy warlord's challenge. He too fails his fear test against the enemy warlord, but manages to slay him anyway (as a result of the extra attack from counterattack via Puretide Engram Chip).

Vre'Oni'Dan, after an unsuccessful first round of combat, managed to smash and instant death a destroyer. This resulted in the rest of the unit attempting to flee, but Vre'Oni'Dan swept them as they fled.

On the other side of the battle, in a minor miracle, O'D'Doran'Elro managed slay all 6 wraiths over the coarse of 4 unmentioned assault phases while sitting on a single hull-point before advancing forward and destroying an enemy ghost arc in assault (getting me big game hunter which I'd drawn first turn).

Vre'Oni'Dan and O'D'Doran'Elro combine their fire to slay three of the tomb scythes, but it these losses don't do enough as O'J'Korst'Ka still succumbs to the necron's firepower. Through his sacrifice El'D'Doran'Ny manages to survive with a single wound left.

Having survived yet another round of guass O'D'Doran'Elro backs up and assaults the destroyer squad that's been ineffectively brawling with the broadsides, yet she only manages to kill one. However, this is enough to cause the remaining one to attempt to flee combat, whereupon she sweeping advances him (getting me blood and guts, plus another point).

El'D'Doran'Ny retreats away from the remaining necron forces.

Board-state at game's end.

Notes

Final Score
12-13
Tau Victory!

So I was hugely demoralized during my turn 2, when my entire army arrives and I kill 1 destroyer. Basically thought I lost there. I did negligible damage to his army, he's going to shoot back and mincemeat me. With my imperial knight clearly about to die. I take some losses, but not as many as I expected. Then turn 3, I do basically no shooting damage again and fail my warlord's assault so they're going to get mauled. On-top of that, my imperial knight is going to die at any point now and a multitude of my cards seem basically un-achieve with him up like 8 points. Bottom of 3/Top of 4 I didn't even take any photos because I felt the game was so far gone that it wouldn't even be worth a write up.

Then, my imperial knight somehow kills all the wraiths. My riptide sweeps destroyers in combat with another simply tar-pitted by my broadsides. My warlord unit kills his warlord, and his army is looking fairly crippled. I managed to move around some of my monats to secure me ascendancy for 2-3 points, his Objective 5 card, and linebreaker. My imperial knight gets me big-game hunter, blood and guts, and "destroy a unit that started within 9" of one of your units". Suddenly in the coarse of two turns the game goes from vastly unwinnable to me getting around 9 points, taking me from losing about 4-10 to winning 13-12 with my warlord sitting on 1 wound and him holding "Kingslayer".

My imperial knight... should not have lived through that game. He had at least 20-30 dice he threw to wound it, needing a single 6 for her to die. Seriously, 4 rounds of CC with wraiths that'll rend her to death on a 6? Plus I made 5/6 invulnerable saves the first or second turn? Yah. Statistical miracle for me.

Other silly things, the second time the enemy warlord charged O'J'Korst'Ka he was wounded once in overwatch. Then, O'J'Korst'Ka missed with first 4 attacks. I remembered I have +1 attack for counter-attack from puretide chip. Roll it, and that attack kills the warlord. Living life on the edge.

Screw his ghost arcs. First turn I got "Big Game Hunter" and I was like "Oh, that should be pretty easy to achieve. I'll just melta his transports to break their shields and them plasma them to death (if necessary)". Cue jink saves on every penetrating hit so my plasma couldn't even hurt them. Cue failed charge with farsight's armorbane sword and O'J'Korst'Ka's melta sword. I spent so much time trying to kill those stupid tanks.

I still don't grasp what I should be doing with my ghostkeel. It just always gets assaulted by stuff and dies or is hilariously out of range and does nothing. Maybe I should try deep striking her, she never does anything the first couple of turns anyways.

materpillar wrote:Next time I play him I'm going to drop all the fliers and vindicare so I can run a dawn blade with retaliation cadre, optimized stealth cadre, some missile sides and more kroot for bubble wrapping. Be a much better fight.

From my previous tango with him. Didn't go with the kroot, but I'm glad my theory crafting was pretty on point. If I play against him again (which is highly likely), I'll probably try a huge castling bundle with tons of markerlights. No idea how well that'll work but it sounds interesting. The main way to make my list stronger (with what I own) would be throwing in a Y'Vahra or two (and proper markerlight support) and I think those riptides might be too strong for his destroyer filled list to deal with. Dunno.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#19 » Sep 22 2016 12:51

O'D'Doran'Elro strode into El'Mesa'Raik's room "Prepare to mobilize, some of my contacts have been compromised. We need to move to evacuate them before things become... dire."

Army List
Heroes' Path
Death Jester
Solitaire - Cegorach's Rose (El'D'Doran'Ny)
Shadowseer - Mastery Level 2 (O'D'Doran'Elro)

Tau Cad
Commander - Coldstar (Shas'el Mesa'Raik)

Riptide - Heavy Burst, SMS, Counterfire Defence System, Stims (Shas'vre Oni'Dan)
Ghostkeel - Cyclic Ion Raker, TL-FB, Counterfire Defence System (Shas'el Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri)

10x Kroot - Sniper rounds
10x Kroot - Sniper rounds
7x Strike Team - Rifles
7x Strike Team - Rifles, SMS Turret
7x Strike Team - Rifles, SMS Turret
12x Strike Team - Devilfish, SMS, D-pod, Sensor Spines

6x Pathfinder Team
5x Vespid Team + Strain Leader

Sniper Team - 3x marksmen, 6x drones
Skyray - SMS, D-Pod, Sensor Spines
1x Broadside Shas'ui + Shas'vre - SMS, High-Yield

Tau forces arrive at the evacuation point, not noticing the two infiltrating scout squads.

O'D'Doran'Elro's krootists on the other side of the field do notice them, and move to engage.

The Enemy Seize's the Initiative and a drop-pod deepstrikes into the middle of the tau lines. The dreadnought inside merely defensively pops smoke.

Recovering from their surprise the Tau army strikes, El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri explodes the dreadnought with her Fusion Blaster and the assistance of the pathfinder team. Vre'Oni'Dan opens up on the far scout squad slaying the whole squad with her heavy burst cannon and ripple-fired Smart Missile System. The entire firewarrior line, broadsides, vespids and snipers cut down the other scout squad. Finally, El'Mesa'Raik penetrates the drop-pod with a shot from his missile pod and detonates it.

Ignoring the fact that their entire supporting army has been destroyed, the blood angels main force drops in.

Threatening both the left and right side of the board.

The terminator squads assault out of deepstrike and El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri loses 3 wounds and a drone before safely falling back.

Vre'Oni'Dan slays two of the terminators in overwatch as they charge her. Nothing results of the actual combat.

The broadside Shas'ui is struck down in combat. The Shas'vre breaks, and flees out of the battle.

The vespid turn and shoot up the death company with the assistance of the skyray and sniper team. They're all slain except for the librarian who managed to survive two BS 5 seeker missile shots with only 1 wound remaining.

The large squad of firewarriors disembark, and with the assistance of the pathfinders and smaller squad of firewarriors unload into terminators killing all but one

On the other side of the battle the firewarriors manage to glance the dreadnought once.

El'D'Doran'Ny jumps into close combat to support Vre'Oni'Dan, challenging the captain wielding a thunderhammer.

More blood angels arrive from reserve...

...on both flanks.

The wounded dreadnought makes its assault with El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri and destroys her ghostkeel.

The last terminator bravely charges into a hail of overwatch.

He survives and cuts down three of the firewarriors. The rest flee from the battle in terror.

Karen kills the captain with thunderhammer, bounces out of combat

The tau army puts the bulk of its firepower into the newly arrived death company squad, completely obliterating it.

Her primary target destroyed El'D'Doran'Ny instead engaged and slew the two remaining terminators, avenging the vespid that had been wiped out by them just moments before.

Vre'Oni'Dan also managed to kill last terminator in her combat while the solo terminator behind the devilfish was slain by its smart missile system.

The wounded Librarian teleported onto objective 1 and slew O'D'Doran'Elro with his bolt pistol (she wounded herself earlier after periling).

El'D'Doran'Ny was assaulted by the remaining dreadnought as it attempted to stop her rampage around the board.

A very unsuccessful attempt to stop her rampage.

On the other flank the Death Company assaulted the remnants of the Firewarrior squad, and slew them all with just its 5 hammer of wrath hits.

The several of the death company are lost from tau firepower.

El'D'Doran'Ny runs up to objective 1 and cuts down librarian to avenge her sister.

Death company squad sweeps the nearby firewarrior squad but failed to destroy devilfish

The pathfinders embark in devilfish for protection while El'D'Doran'Ny and Vre'Oni'Dan move to support them.

Death company finally manage to destroy devilfish the devilfish but are immediately assaulted. The chaplain losing a wound while his only support is crush by Vre'Oni'Dan.

Note: My opponent lost at the bottom of turn 1 since I destroyed all his models that were on the table, but that's a lame way to end the game so we just ignored that rule. He was playing with the new spiffy rules that terminators can assault out of deep strike. I can't tell if that actually makes the terminators worth it. Seriously, terminators are way over costed. El'D'Doran'Ny murdered like everything this game. O'D'Doran'Elro can never cast a psychic power under any circumstance ever.
Last edited by materpillar on Nov 01 2016 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#20 » Sep 22 2016 02:44

Your enemies list would've been interesting to see.
But to answer your question. Yes the Orbital Intervention Strike Force makes Terminators worth it to some degree. Only TH/SS Terminators though since it's an uncoordinated assault and that means no additional Attack, no +1 Initiative and no +1 Strength for them (things SS/TH Terminators don't really care for anyway).

Other things to look out for from Angels Blade are the Tank formation (1 Techmarine, 3-5 Predator units including Baal Predator, 1-3 Landraider all with Scout and Overcharged Engines), the Golden Host (Sang Guard deep strike whenever they want turn 2+ with -1d6 scatter and able to assault), Chapter Ancients (3-5 Librarian/Furioso/normal Dreadnoughts that can each sacrifice their movement phase once to either shoot or pile in and attack once per game) and last but not least the Deathcompany Strike Force.

Return to “Battle Reports”