Tau vs Necrons, or "How We All Died Horribly"

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
InnocentCivilian
Shas

Tau vs Necrons, or "How We All Died Horribly"

Post#1 » Oct 16 2015 09:53

I want to preface this by saying that even though my humble army list is nowhere near optimised, I still typically do well in most games. I mainly want to share how dense urban layout can be a pain for ranged units who would have done better if the longest shooting range wasn't about 12 inches with only a quarter or less of the unit actually able to see the enemy I want to shoot.

My army list, 1500 for this battle:

Pathfinders with rail rifles.
Commander attached to three man Crisis team, two gun drones each.
Three man Broadside Team with HRRs.
Two twelve man Fire Warrior teams.
Three man Stealth Suit team.

Their approximate army list, I'm terrible with Necron unit names so I apologise for inaccurate designations.

Doom Scythe
Six Canoptek Wraiths.
Three units of Warriors.
Tomb Blades.
Lychguard with Orikan the Diviner and possibly one other named character, I can't remember the name.
A Spyder spitting out Scarabs all over the shop.

When I say this was dense urban, this was very dense urban. The streets were no more than about two inches apart, with a four inch wide plain road just at the edge of each players deployment zone parallel to it. Very few lines of sight, not a lot of movement room to get everyone a line of sight on anything. A massive pain for a shooty army. It was a 4x4 board too, so it was tight.

Turn 1: Necrons

They moved up forward, no shooting going on. Two warrior units stayed at their rear line and didn't move. The Wraiths got into the building where my Stealth Team infiltrated in to. No shots fired. In the assault phase, they wiped out the Stealth Team. Sad days, but an acceptable loss. The Wraiths were now in shooting position. Orikan and the Lych Guard appeared right beside the Pathfinders and Crisis suits.

Turn 1: Tau

Fire Warriors moved into position to get Supporting Fire for the Command Team and Broadside Team. The Command team shifted a bit to get a better view on the Wraithguard. A wall of shooty had been created. Pathfinders got two Markerlights on the Lychguard and hit and wounded but failed to kill due to reanimation. The first Fire Warrior team used the markerlights on them. Wounded but reanimation protocols negated it. Broadsides fired on the same group, wounded but reanimation protocols. Commander team fired on the Wraiths but failed to wound. Last Fire Warrior team fired on the Scarabs. Killed one mount of Scarabs but the Spyder would simply replace it next turn so it was all for naught.

Turn 2: Necron

Spyders move closer, Wraiths move closer, Lychguard move closer. In shooting, they wipe out the drones for the Command team, wipe out most of the Pathfinders and force them to flee, and did the same to the second Fire Warrior team with the Doom Scythe dropping Warriors off and shooting from point blank. More sad days. Some Broadside drones blow up too. The assault phase is where things go terribly for the Tau, partly because the Overwatch did nothing. Scarabs assault into the fleeing Fire Warriors and wipe them out. Wraiths assault into the Command team and start ripping them apart, even with the Commander having an Iridium Battlesuit. Many wounds are had. Lychguard rip into the Broadsides and their drones. More wounds are had.

Now at this point I had lost two of my three infantry squads, most of my Command team, the Stealth Team, the Broadsides were stuck in melee with the Lychguard, and he still had three teams of Warriors, a Doom Scythe and the Doom Blades left unhindered to do what they wanted. I couldn't win in melee, and I couldn't escape it. I had to concede.

It was a very short game, but I think it highlights how the lack of melee capable units tied with the inability to see the enemy until their right on top of you due to the intense density of the buildings made it a massive uphill battle for a shooty list such as mine. Combined with the fact that there was so little open areas apart from the main lanes that could fit larger models or unit sizes that having teams of Broadsides makes them sitting ducks, and that the infantry can't get a good lay of the land to provide ranged fire to help stop this situation from occurring.

Long story short; Sudden Necrons cause Sudden Death Suddenly

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Tau vs Necrons, or "How We All Died Horribly"

Post#2 » Oct 16 2015 10:09

Fun read!,
How many Pathfinders in your squad?
Commander/Crisis Team weapons?

Urban environments always present a bit a problem due to lack of Line of Sight. But there are some distinct advantages, some more obvious then others.

Jump-Shoot-Jump on our Jetpack units.
Can't charge what you cannot see.
Overwatch and Counterfire Defense Systems give us olmost a free shooting phase (Twin-Linked for olmost doubled effect)
Photon Grenades means no charge-bonus (big).
Throwing Photon Grenades (hilariously effective versus Necrons), remember that they blind when they HIT, not when they Wound.

Photon grenades are often forgotten. but have been incredibly effective in my close-quarter engagements. (and makes my opponents sigh in annoyance)

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#3 » Oct 16 2015 01:55

You are outnumbered and you do not really have superior mobility once you have been over-aggressive with infiltrating your stealth suits, against Necrons this is definitely a bad thing for Tau.

I have to be honest I am not at all sure where all your 1500 points are, that list looks closer to 1100 points unless you have an awful lot of very expensive upgrades.

I will second the comment on blind grenades. Necrons hate them with a passion and for good reason - it totally shuts down their damage output and lets you outshoot them as a result.

XV566
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 16 2015 02:11

Yeah strange list. It seems really short on points...

Also - necrons are insane. They're amazingly good with a decurian, and probably our worst matchup.

Against necrons, I've lost horribly once, and tied twice, after obsessing about their codex.

To tie, this is what I did:

- Run 2 Ion-Heads for the cheap large blast ap3. s8 means they get a worse re-animate too. :)
- Remember that warriors are 4+ armor, and our missile pods are ap4.
- Obsessively measure distance. We out range them almost every single time.
- Run kroot lines to stop their tomb blades, in lines, 2" apart, to block movement.
- HBC-tide for more ap4 and against their insane flying transports

Basically I muse abuse Ion-Heads and Missile-Sides to take out immortals and warriors, and try to distract them with kroot. (In the first matchup, which I lost, my enemy actually got really upset by my use of sniper rounds. It was his first time playing against kroot, and left thinking they were one of our best units, and insane for the price.

InnocentCivilian
Shas

Post#5 » Oct 17 2015 09:51

Sorry for the lack if information!

Full Pathfinder team with Rail Rifles.

The Crisis team had two Fusions, two Plasmas, a Flamer and a Burst Cannon. Wargear was a Drone Controller, Counterfire Defense and [[Insert Wargear here because I can't my army list and can't remember for the life of me]]

Commander had the Airburst Fragmentation and Cyclic Ion. Wargear was the Puretide Engram Chip and the Iridium Battlesuit

It was my first game against the Necrons, and it was indeed 1500 points. Being relatively low on money, I've only really been able to match points with people by heaping on Wargear as opposed to adding more units.

I was banking on being able to kite his units and avoid assaults, but due to the tiny table and density of the buildings, as well as how uneven the buildings were (We both had models falling all over the place) I was perpetually in his line of sight and in assault range from turn one. Many people who play there now just remove some buildings. Nobody was having fun when moving your arm is likely to cause a building and 5-10 models to fall.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 17 2015 10:11

InnocentCivilian wrote:It was my first game against the Necrons, and it was indeed 1500 points. Being relatively low on money, I've only really been able to match points with people by heaping on Wargear as opposed to adding more units.
If you don't have 1500 points, you don't have 1500 points. You'll really feel it in army strenght if you are forced into buying upgrades.
It might be more fun for either side to decide on a lower pointslimit in that case. (I think the sweetspot sits at around 750/1250).
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

InnocentCivilian
Shas

Post#7 » Oct 17 2015 10:55

ShasODerpy wrote:
InnocentCivilian wrote:It was my first game against the Necrons, and it was indeed 1500 points. Being relatively low on money, I've only really been able to match points with people by heaping on Wargear as opposed to adding more units.
If you don't have 1500 points, you don't have 1500 points. You'll really feel it in army strenght if you are forced into buying upgrades.
It might be more fun for either side to decide on a lower pointslimit in that case. (I think the sweetspot sits at around 750/1250).

I get what you're saying. Perhaps I should focus on gathering a physically larger army before I try that many points again. I appreciate the advice.

Return to “Battle Reports”