For my Caldeonian list in the end I went for a Dawnblade detachment:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Tau Mont’ka “Dawnblade” Detachment Core Formation: Hunter Cadre
HQ1: Commander with Stimulant injector, Dual missile pods, 2* MV4 Shield drone, Talisman of Arthas Moloch [= 179pts] [Warlord]
TROOP1: 5* Firewarrior Strikers with Bonding ritual [= 50pts]
TROOP2: 5* Firewarrior Strikers with Bonding ritual [= 50pts]
TROOP3: 10* Kroot Carnivores with 1* Kroot Hound [= 60pts]
ELITE1: 2* XV8 Crisis Shas’ui each with Dual missile pods, Bonding ritual [= 106pts]
FA1: 4* MV7 Marker drones [= 56pts]
LoW: KV128 Stormsurge with Pulse driver cannon, Twin-linked smart missile system, Cluster rocket pods, Twin-linked airbursting fragmentation projectors, Shield generator, Early warning override [= 435pts]Auxiliary Formation: Drone Net VX1-0
FA1: 4* MV7 Marker drones [= 56pts]
FA2: 4* MV7 Marker drones [= 56pts]
FA3: 4* MV7 Marker drones [= 56pts]
FA4: 4* MV7 Marker drones [= 56pts]Auxiliary Formation: Riptide Wing
ELITE1: XV104 Riptide, Heavy burst cannon, Twin-linked smart missile system, Stimulant injector, Velocity tracker [= 235pts]
ELITE2: XV104 Riptide, Ion accelerator, Twin-linked smart missile system, Stimulant injector, Early warning override [= 225pts]
ELITE3: XV104 Riptide, Ion accelerator, Twin-linked smart missile system, Stimulant injector, Early warning override [= 225pts]
Total = 1850 points
- Commander joins Missile Crisis team, supports from behind the Riptide Wing and/or Stormsurge; long-range S7 to make the most of Dawnblade's Killing Blow
, Talisman bubble to protect against Psy.Shrieks and the like, and even providing some Overwatch for Stormsurge seeing as I only need to be within 12" as per Hunter Cadre rules.
- Troops choices are all basically there to pay the tax and will act as speed bumps / bubble wrap, or early-game objective camping to earn the first Maelstrom objectives where possible. Though having the option to Outflank the Kroot may prove useful for Maelstroms too
- Multitude of BS3 marker drones to maximise the effectiveness of 'Surge and Riptide Wing, particularly combining their Interceptor capabilities. Also making sure those D-missiles hit home (my first line of defence to counter for Wraithknights, Imperial Knights etc.)
- Lots of high S low AP Interceptor to take out any nasty DSing surprises... I'm looking at you, Skyhammer formation!
- Riptides and 'Surge bring large volume of firepower to knock off kill points quickly, or whittle down Star armies faster
- Invulnerable saves and FNP on the big guys make sure they are durable and stay in the fight for as long as possible
- Start deployment fairly close-knit and keeping opponents at arm's length. Using Riptide Nova-charged jumping for late-game objective grabbing / line-breaking etc.
- no Objective Secured; I know there will
be occasions when I regret not having this. Though I find that Tau Ob.Sec units are, on the whole, rather squishy and don't tend to take much digging off the objectives
- Talisman offers some Psychic defence, but largely will be at the mercy of the super-sorceror councils/conclaves
- Grav; I would have liked a Shielded missile drone for each Riptide to meta the grav weapons but points were just too tight. Instead I'll probably go for 3++ on Nova charging as preferred setting against grav-heavy armies
I'm no star player and I make plenty of mistakes in game - but I'm looking forward to the event, playing new opponents, improving my technique etc. and I hope my list should at least look formidable and not be an easy roll-over.