Apocalypse kroot at the torrent of war ITC rules GT

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
nic
Kroot'La

Re: Apocalypse kroot at the torrent of war ITC rules GT

Post#11 » Jan 20 2016 05:36

Part 3, the utility all-rounders.

I am always happy to dedicate a few points to all-round utility units that may not be the most points-efficient thing at any one job but by their flexibility give me redundancy in many areas. This redundancy is not just against losses but also in positioning. Positioning a drop-pod or charge attempt to avoid the twin-linked fire of a couple of broadsides is possible for a clever opponent, having multiple gun drone units that can fill in for the same role makes that task exponentially harder.

Gun drones
The drone net formation has transformed gun-drones from an also-ran choice to a strong choice for competitive play. Twin-linked BS3 is pretty good and that base S5 AP5 profile will consistently force enough saves that you can be sure models will be getting removed. Interceptor is the single best rule they could have been given and in a massed assault out of reserves you need every interceptor shot you can get. In other games they intercepted lesser attacks out of reserves such as the Legion of the Damned freeing up the broadsides to hit other targets better suited to their S7 main guns. Sometimes they had to be sacrificed as extra screening units against charges but they are a cheap MSU choice and even when making a suicidal stand their overwatch remains solidly worthwhile.

Pathfinders
Taken as much for the Recon Drone as anything else they switched role from game to game. Sometimes outflank enablers, in other games simple extra pulse firepower and at time a couple of extra markerlights where I needed them. I never faced Necrons so never needed the blind grenades but they were there if I wanted.
A small unit like this in a huge sprawling army dominating much of the table is easily overlooked and this is pretty much what happened. I did not pay the extra point each to put them in the Hunter Cadre which was probably a mistake, the Ambushes and Feints rule would have helped them as much as it did the broadsides when in their conventional support role.

Piranha
This has replaced the flamer crisis unit in my heart as favourite "aha, surprise!" unit in my collection. With Ambushes and Feints it dashes out 30" and delivers those seeker missiles just where an opponent thought he was safe. It also either scored linebreaker or drew fire away from the linebreaker in 3 games - which probably made it point for point one of the most productive VP winning things in my list.
It does tend to die a lot. But it's cheap and that is OK. It never died before it got work done.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#12 » Jan 23 2016 01:20

Final thoughts.

I went to this tournament primarily to take my son who really wanted to try out a big tournament. He may post on here later but I would say that his experience was a bit mixed and I would not be booking full weekend tournaments on his behalf for a while.

What I personally would have like to get out of it was to have played against 5 different players to give me a whole bunch of variety in what I played against and the players I was playing with. I got one game against my own son (a complete no-win scenario for me as a dad) and had to play two of my other games against the same opponent. So I was there all weekend and only got to meet and play against 3 fresh opponents. It all felt a bit disappointing.

I have still had no response from the TO so I think I can take it that I will never understand what he did with the scoring. It was advertised as ITC format but either he does not know how that works or he made a mistake or something else happened.

Overall rather unsatisfying and the constant rush against the schedule did not help in any way.

For me that is it for the GT format, I do a few other things competitively (tennis, cycling) and they are simply more fun, sociable and rewarding. So at this point the Apocalypse Kroot can hang up their meat-hooks and retire. The army in this format was designed for competitive play, it is far too good for typical social or pick-up games, and competition is not something I will be returning to.

NoobPwner84
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Feb 10 2016 11:11

Nic - good analysis of your army and how it performed.

Re your pirhana use - it's good for you to note that it does well for its points, or even if it got shot at a lot it distracted from other stuff that was scoring objectives or line breaker etc. The unit is fairly irrelevant (I don't actually own a pirhana) but whatever it is, its always worth divvying up 'did this unit do anything useful, did it perform these tasks to the level I'd expect for its points, or more/less'. Certainly refreshing to read this type of analysis rather than the myopic view of ' I shoud not have taken unit X as it died every game'.

It's dissapointing that you wouldn't want to return to a major competitive event again. It does seem odd that you did not win the event going 5-0 and that a mistake was perhaps made, though it does appear that the tournament was perhaps messy in organisation.

As an occasional TO myself, I will admit it can be a challenge to get everything done in time. Players always seem to run over, are late arriving at the start of the day, people forget to hand in results slips etc etc. Not defending the TO's of your event; merely that I can empithise with their predicaments. Though I will say it was poor show that you had to play against your son. Most big events that I've had to travel to will let you swap if you have to play against a club member, particularly on the first day. As a bunch of us usually travel from Scotland to mid/southern England for events, this is often a relief.

Hopefully your next experience at a tourney will be a much more pleasant one!
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

nic
Kroot'La

Post#14 » Feb 10 2016 02:57

I hope I did not come across as too salty about the TO. I may have paid money but nobody makes a living out of this and I don't want to make a possibly thankless task worse by being unreasonable. I tried to strike a balance in which I included my conclusions and feelings about the whole experience.

I am glad you thought the analysis was OK.

As for major competitive events. I think if I put my mind to it I could be a decent enough player, I just think I will have more fun with the hobby in other ways.

Pseudomancer
Shas

Post#15 » Feb 10 2016 03:55

Are you able to comment on the Counterfire Defence Systems? I haven't run them, and every time I consider it I just think "oh I'll just avoid cc or use Supporting Fire from other units which will reduce its importance." Was your choice of CDS influenced by Kroot's lack of Supporting Fire? Would you take it in a more traditional list? And do you think Marker Drones would be an adequate substitute?
The Eastern Fringe Co-prosperity Sphere wants you!

nic
Kroot'La

Post#16 » Feb 10 2016 04:31

Pseudomancer wrote:Are you able to comment on the Counterfire Defence Systems? I haven't run them, and every time I consider it I just think "oh I'll just avoid cc or use Supporting Fire from other units which will reduce its importance." Was your choice of CDS influenced by Kroot's lack of Supporting Fire? Would you take it in a more traditional list? And do you think Marker Drones would be an adequate substitute?

Yes the lack of supporting fire on Kroot was a factor in the initial choice of CDS, it cemented its place in the list pretty early on and is now part of the overall list strategy. Even in a more conventional list the only reason I would choose not to take it on a Riptide would be if my list needs it to take a different support system. Much as we might try to avoid assault it is unavoidable in many games and even one high quality hit in overwatch will more than make back the points cost of the upgrade. With my large amounts of kroot & drone bubble-wrap the Riptide itself has not been assaulted by anything other than my son's Riptide in a year of playing this list. The CDS helps me turn my passive bubble-wrap into an active part of my counter-assault strategy of wearing opponents down with successive damaging turns of supporting fire to the onion-layers of kroot. The Hunter Cadre rules also matter here, allowing me freedom to manouvre whilst keeping the benefits of supporting fire.

In the tournament the CDS on the Riptide was used in every game, usually more than once and usually to decent effect. The CDS on the Ghostkeel was less used and less effective but the issue there is more that the Ghostkeel was not really key to my strategy so tended to be bouncing around the table on distraction/harassment duties.

Marker drones are obviously awesome - especially in the drone net - but I have very little luck in generating more than the odd hit in overwatch with them. With so many units wanting to fire overwatch each one that is a bit less dependent on using that precious marker token frees up something else to get serious work done. A less MSU list would get more value out of marker drone overwatch.

Return to “Battle Reports”