Cally Uprising Tournament Report Summary

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Cally Uprising Tournament Report Summary

Post#1 » Jan 18 2016 03:21

Hi

Got back last night from Caledonian Uprising held in Stockport at the weekend, and had a blast. For those that don't know its an 1850 event that is viewed as one of the most competitive events in the UK. It was limited to two sources, but for instance the Hunter Contingent and other such formations like Craftworld, Decurion etc counted as 2 despite their auxillary options.

Travelled down from Scotland with a bunch of the guys, though perhaps a smaller bunch than we've had in recent years. I also happen to know that Commander Skyfall, Krewl and Embrace Your Inner Geek from this forum were there as well, and I had a few drinks with a couple of them.

Without further ado here is the list I used:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TAU EMPIRE - HUNTER CONTINGENT 'SUPER DETACHMENT' (FROM KAUYON) [1850] PTS IN TOTAL

*HUNTER CADRE* [745] PTS IN TOTAL

HQ1: COMMANDER , COMMAND & CONTROL NODE , NEUROWEB SYSTEM JAMMER [2], DRONE CONTROLLER 2, MARKER DRONES, TOTAL - [134] [WARLORD]
TROOPS1: 10 KROOT CARNIVORES [60]
TROOPS 2: 10 KROOT CARNIVORES [60]
TROOPS 3: STRIKE TEAM (5 MAN) [45]
ELITE 1: RIPTIDE, ION ACCELERATOR, EARLY WARNING OVERIDE,FUSION BLASTER, TOTAL [190]
ELITE 2: CRISIS SUIT, FLAMER, FLAMER, TOTAL [32]
FAST ATTACK 1: 4 MARKER DRONES, PLUS 2 EXTRA MARKER DRONE, TOTAL [84]
HEAVY SUPPORT 1: BROADSIDE BATTLESUIT X 2, SMART MISSILE SYSTEM (0), HIGH YIELD MISSILES (O), EARLY WARNING OVERIDE X 2. TOTAL [140]

*OPTIMISED STEALTH CADRE* [635] PTS IN TOTAL

GHOSTKEEL BATTLESUITS X 3 ONE WITH STIMULANT INJECTOR, ONE WITH TWIN LINKED FUSION BLASTER , TWO WITH TWIN LINKED BURST CANNONS, TWO WITH TARGET LOCKS, ALL WITH CYCLIC ION RAKERS (0), SIX MV5 STEALTH DRONES (0) TOTAL [455]
STEALTH SUITS [90]
STEALTH SUITS [90]

*FIREBASE SUPPORT CADRE* [470] PTS IN TOTAL

BROADSIDE BATTLESUIT X 2, SMART MISSILE SYSTEM (0), HIGH YIELD MISSILES (O), EARLY WARNING OVERIDE x 2. TOTAL [140]
BROADSIDE BATTLESUIT X 2, SMART MISSILE SYSTEM (0), HIGH YIELD MISSILES (O), EARLY WARNING OVERIDE X 2. TOTAL [140]
RIPTIDE, ION ACCELERATOR, EARLY WARNING OVERIDE, FUSION BLASTER (0) TOTAL [190]

[1850] PTS

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had some major concerns about this list. Namely - no riptide wing nor stormsurge. Also, most other tau players there seemed to be using the Montka book and I was using Kauyon - was I missing something?? Regardless, I decided to have faith in my main units - namely the OSC Ghostkeels, 3 x 2 XV88's and my pair of Iontides.

Game 1 vs Eldar. Hammer and Anvil deployment, Crusade primary, Maelstrom generated from what objectives you hold (secondary) and kill points tertiary.

Opponents list as follows -

Farseer
Autarch
5 Dscythe wraithguard, serpent with TL bright lance
3 scatter bikes
3 scatter bikes
3 scatter bikes
8 Warp spiders
6 Dark Reapers
6 Dark Reapers
hemlock wraithfighter
2 War Walkers with starcannons

DE allies
Archon with armour of misery, shadowfield, webway portal
5 kabalite warriors

Some pics of set up and action as it progressed:

Summary:

No wraithknight in the Eldar list which was a boon. Unorthodox but good list based around D-scythe mini star with Armour of misery archon and farseer for invisibility & megalulz shriek. I was going first so he reserved a lot of stuff - not always a good tactic for Eldar against me. Killed star cannon walkers out of LOS with tank hunting SMS for 1st blood. Long and short of it is the Ghostkeels picked up 5/8 markers on the invisible D-scythe unit and killed them all. Flamer XV8 guy went on a noobpwning rampage killing jetbike unit, 4 dark reapers and an autarch. Tabled him turn 6.

Win 20-0. Tonnes of VP's

Game 2 Vs Eldar - Relic Primary with steal cards maelstrom (secondary) and kill points tertiary.

My friend's Kris's list as follows:
Craftworld host -
Bikeseer
YOLO warlock that can't join units
3 x 3 units of scatter bikes
Vyper
Warp Spider shrine - 3 x 7 spiders
Crimson death formation x 3 crimson hunters with exarch
Hemlock
Wraithknight

Pics of the game:

Summary:

On table 2 after big win. Played Kris who tabled stormsurge tau game 1. Kris' list based around 4 flyers, 3 spider units and a wraithknight with scatbikes. As detailed above in another post I had a big win against Kris in my only practice game. However this time he is going 1st. He also heeded my advice post our last game (and something i said to two of my eldar opponents at Rapid Fire) of keeping wraithknight in reserve. First few rounds I streak ahead on maelstrom and kill majority of flyers and 2/3 spider units. Only game really where broadsides and riptides outshine the Ghostkeels - with their short range they are not great at having the ability to kill spiders post flicker jump, and failed two charges on spiders with ghost unit.
However the wraithknight shows up turn 4 when my army is a bit depleted and I won't have the shooting left to finish it. Beats Ghosts in combat on the relic and they flee, saving Kris from a big loss. Great game, one of my fave tourney matches. MC's fighting in combat over the relic on the last turn is how it should be done.

Win 11-9

Game 3 vs Gladius marines, one of the Dutch ETC players. Scouring Primary, some maelstrom I can't remember secondary and kill points tertiary again.

Opponents list something like this:
White scars chapter tactics
Khan
Chaplain
x 2 demi companies with tonnes of grav stuff in loads of free razorbacks. All objective secured!!!

Game pics:

With his white scars scout he could cause me problems and he has the item of no cover save win on his chaplain so I need to not set up like a chump. But im going first, and I've also made him come at me down a wide channel with little LOS blocking for his tanks. Like Con Air Cyrus the Virus tactics I'm thinking 'we create an airtight trap full of lots and lots of dead people'.
Infiltrate and I won the roll off, conga-ing out a Kroot unit to stop his scout moves altogether.
1st turn and ghost unit with their target locks each kill a razorback, lots of marines spill out. Chaplains grav devastators eat an ion accelerator pie plate to the face, then the Kroot pick up the markers being BS8 and shoot the chaplains head off to get rid of both him and no cover relic. Broadsides kill most of the other tanks, as do a stealth team.
Short of it is I probably had him after such a devastating turn 1. Flamer guy held off about 6 marines from an objective by himself later in game, killing four with flamers & 2 in combat. Go Flamer guy!

Credit to my opponent BTW if he ever reads this. He was an example of how to accept when a game is just against you, played the whole game with a big smile on his face and laughed a lot, even though he only killed a kroot unit.

Win 19-1

So day one over and I have unexpectedly got 3 wins under my belt, two of them major wins. I was a bit concerned going into Sunday :sad: as it could only get more horrible lists (if possible!).

Will finish the Sunday games tomorrow. Thanks for reading
Last edited by NoobPwner84 on Jan 18 2016 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Cally Uprising Tournament Report Summary

Post#2 » Jan 19 2016 02:34

So onto Sunday. If I keep up the winning momentum, I could finish quite high up the standings.

Game 4 vs Tyranids. One of the English ETC guys. Emperor's Will primary, some forgotten Maelstrom secondary and kill points tertiary
Deployment was Dawn of War. For some reason there is no pictures of this game, sorry.

His army was as follows:
Hive Tyrant, wings, twin linked 12 shot guns
5 of the testicle looking bomb things
3 Mawlocs
1 Lictor

Pre game thoughts were that the dream would be if he sets up aggressively like he's going first and I seize. Was speaking to a friend about this in the morning who seemed sceptical of this strategy. Think my words were 'you have to have faith!'
Nathan rolls to go first. Sets up his bunker with venomthrope unit on his EW objective. I get infiltrate warlord trait and infiltrate ghosts into area terrain in middle of board, and some broadsides and a tide into ruin on Nathan's side. So - I've set up to seize. Roll it, and it's a 6!! Let's do this.
First turn i kill 3 flyrants from absolute broadside and Ghostkeel murder. Should have got four but I'll take 3 flyrants first turn any day. A big moment was my 2pts neuroweb system jammer taking 3 wounds from the last remaining flyrant (who was on full wounds at the time) by making his shots get hot.
On the adventures of Flamer guy - deep struck in front of the bunker and super roasted the venomthrope, then got in bunker and chilled the heck out. Ain't easy being a hero of the tau empire.
18-2 win

During my game, my friend who is reffing informs me that I may be looking good for the event with the right match up next round. On the table next to me there were two gladius armies slugging it out, and I knew that I would be in with a good chance of a big win against one of those. But draw comes out and it's...

7 riptides in a riptide wing
Eldar CAD - farseer, x 2 bike units
Wraithknight

:fear: :fear: :fear:

Opponent is another ETC England player. Mission is Big Guns and some maelstrom that I can't remember. Was playing on Table 2 (of 44) so which of us gets a big win has a good chance of winning the whole event.

The Mars attacks robots are riptides

Bummer. This was the list nobody wanted to play against. The riptide wing does double lol shooting once per game with something like 140ish shots with HBC and two ion blasts that phase, plus they can do their second load of shooting at a sperate target if they kill their first.
But I seize on him and kill WK :D
Not that it does me much good. I get steadily horsed over 5 turns. Kill 3 riptides but all I have at the end is commander unit, some Kroot and Flamer guy. Not even he could turn the tide, jumping out and wounding a riptide with his flamers.
20-0 gubbing.

RESISTANCE. IS. FUTILE!!!

I get horsed so bad that somebody that was on table 15 or something wins best Tau player and I miss out.

Anyway - much better than I anticipated. Was joking with some of the guys that if I had won the tourney would Ghostkeels be a net list. I don't think I could have done anything about the last game - seize and killed a wraithknight or I would have been tabled turn 3 as it infiltrated, and killed a riptide a turn. But 7 tides (effectively FOURTEEN tides worth of shooting 1st turn) just smashes most people.

Finished 14th out of 88 players. Second event that I won all weekend only to get smashed by unplayable army in the last game!

Best units: Ghosts. Awesome all tourney and only my last opponent killed them all. Smashed an invis deathstar and killed MC's and tanks all over the place

Worst: list performed really well together aside from non-avoidable shafting last game. Probably the fire warriors were the worst, but they sucked and lived scoring me maelstrom all weekend. With just a token tax squad there's not much more I would have expected of them.

Great weekend with the guys, and meeting lots of new nice people.
Last edited by NoobPwner84 on Jan 19 2016 02:56, edited 2 times in total.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#3 » Jan 19 2016 02:46

Well played sir! A shame about that last game but I think the Riptide Wing 'Pacific Rim' concept has been discussed here before and I suspect that several variations on that idea will emerge as top tier threats.

Nice to see your flamer guy did well. When I catch up with my report we will see how mine did not.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 19 2016 03:00

Thanks Nic.

The only game that opponent lost all tournament was against a mega marine star that managed to go first and get off invisibility. And he still managed to get a 12-8 loss out of it. It's a horrendous army.

Happy with how my army performed against everyone else though.

But the riptide wing is impressive. I may have to squeeze one in for my next tournament :biggrin:

Commander Skyfall
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jan 21 2016 01:05

Noobpwner you did the Tau proud, representing up on the top tables. Unlike me.. :-(
Your army seemed a solid, take-all-comers build... As evidenced by you successes, and even managed to hold out for as long as you did against the mega Riptide wing.

It was great to meet you and some of the other ATT players. I look forward to the next event. All the best for Stirling!

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 22 2016 04:30

Why thank you Commander Skyfall. Was good to meet you, even if I was barking at everyone having lost my voice. I think you played a fair contingent of Scots did you not? The same Eldar player I played, martin with his daemonkin and my friend Paul's deathwatch/converted FNP wolfstar army? They all said good things about you after.

Yeah I am in the dark as regards anything more I could have done to beat the ritptides of doom. But despite that had a blast at the tournament. And yeah - hopefully go one better and try to win the Dark Millenium event :dead:

Redback
Por

Post#7 » Jan 22 2016 05:46

Thank you for the report, a very nice read. Enjoyed it

NoobPwner84 wrote:Yeah I am in the dark as regards anything more I could have done to beat the ritptides of doom. But despite that had a blast at the tournament. And yeah - hopefully go one better and try to win the Dark Millenium event :dead:

Well hopefully not but I hope you come second, I maybe going for number 1 spot ;)

Commander Skyfall
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 22 2016 07:52

NoobPwner84 wrote:Why thank you Commander Skyfall. Was good to meet you, even if I was barking at everyone having lost my voice. I think you played a fair contingent of Scots did you not? The same Eldar player I played, martin with his daemonkin and my friend Paul's deathwatch/converted FNP wolfstar army? They all said good things about you after.

I did indeed play something of a Scottish Contingent (perhaps that could be a Formation? :P ). All were great games even if my tournament score isn't all that much of a flattering reflection of my weekend. I found picking a Most Sporting player really hard. In fact all 5 of my games were huge fun, I learned a lot, and I played 5 totally different armies over the event which is a nice bonus.

Afterthoughts for my army & performance:

-I asked Paul this; "was my army a bit boring?" My first draft (but sadly illegal) army list was probably a bit more dynamic.
My army at Caledonian played along a more static gun-line style, which isn't really my style. i.e. the Stormsurge, Broadsides, Crisis unit in bunker, even the Skyray operates better when stationary... all these factors led to (what felt to me) a fairly inflexible turn - it was either shoot or lot, or redeploy to shoot a lot next turn.

My fault for having to panic-write a new army list in short order. I was pleased with what that volume of shooting could achieve, but next event will see a bit more thought going into building in more manoeuvrable firepower.

- Stormsurge was great! Without it I think I would have lost even harder than I did! Probably didn't need the Shield Generator, there was enough cover and area terrain that I could've exploited that more. Those Shield Gen. points could have been better spent elsewhere.
I agonised over Pulse driver cannon vs. Pulse blast cannon. In the end the Driver was very easy to use - I think the Blastcannon probably needs more finesse that I can manage. The S10 Large blast proved very useful in the tournament meta, e.g. lots of Bikes, Kataphrons, Fleshhounds... and proved a great way to Intercept deep strikers.

- Culexus Assassin; my first proper outing with an Assassin and I probably didn't use it to best effect. But in the end I only came up against one army with any pyschic ability out of my 5 games. Points would have been better invested in more Tau. Indeed, with lots of other Tau now circulating the tournament scene the Culexus assassin is probably less "on the pulse" of the current meta than it might once have been.

- More units; Whilst I wasn't yielding too many KPs in one go, getting to the Maelstrom objectives was hard work. Again, comes back to the issue of feeling largely static and make the issue all the more something that I need to address.

- Go first! In the one game I could've gone first, I let Martin deploy first - my logic being that I would get to see where his assault units were being deployed, respond accordingly, then speedbump them with Infiltrators.
It kinda worked, but not well enough to stop the assault overwhelming me in the end. Martin felt that letting him deploy first was my major mistake in the game. I'm inclined to agree. Though I don't like building lists/armies that need to go first I realise now that I should exploit the chance when it does arise.

Taking these lessons forward to the next tournaments.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 22 2016 09:52

Redback wrote:Thank you for the report, a very nice read. Enjoyed it

NoobPwner84 wrote:Yeah I am in the dark as regards anything more I could have done to beat the ritptides of doom. But despite that had a blast at the tournament. And yeah - hopefully go one better and try to win the Dark Millenium event :dead:

Well hopefully not but I hope you come second, I maybe going for number 1 spot ;)

Haha some smack talk on ATT. I love it :D

Do I know you Redback? Do you think we've played against each other before? Or more to the point - you live in Scotland and are playing at Dark Millenium? Looking forward to seeing your army if so :)

Redback
Por

Post#10 » Jan 22 2016 11:07

[quote="NoobPwner84"

Haha some smack talk on ATT. I love it :D

Do I know you Redback? Do you think we've played against each other before? Or more to the point - you live in Scotland and are playing at Dark Millenium? Looking forward to seeing your army if so :)[/quote]

No we havent, I play south of the border. My uni society gaming club are looking to round up enough people to make a weekend of it.

Well hopefully I will have a project log on here sorted by then so you can check it out. Working on the custom fluff, spinners and presentation of it atm. Im a perfectionist what can I say

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jan 22 2016 12:20

That's all sounding great about your project Redback.

As regards Dark Millenium we would all be pleased if yourself and your gaming club friends could make it along. It will actually be my first year at the event, but my friend runs it and it seems to be shaping up to be the biggest competitive event in Scotland for some time. A lot of good players going along and it would only be enhanced by more from outwith the Scottish meta as, despite being competitive it's always good to have new blood in any scene. The top players tend to end up playing each other a lot !

Return to “Battle Reports”