Dark Millenium III Tournament Report

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Dark Millenium III Tournament Report

Post#1 » Feb 21 2016 11:37

Over the weekend I was playing at Dark Millenium III, one of the bigger tournaments in Scotland. Often we have to travel to at least the north of England for a competitive field, but this was well attended by the best Scottish players so turned out to be a strong roster.

So far over the last few months I had come 6th at Rapid Fire, after winning all my games on table one all weekend only to be tabled by a Tau'nar supremacy armour. Also finished 14th at Caledonian Uprising, biggest competitive event in the UK after (again!) winning all my games all weekend only to get smashed in my last match by the England ETC captain and his double Riptide wing and wraithknight. So I had been doing not too badly, but wanted to win this one, at least top 3!

And onto my list:

Eldar Combined arms detachment

Autarch, warp jump generator (warlord)
3 jetbikes
3 jetbikes
5 warp spiders
5 warp spiders
Wraithknight, wraithcannons

Secondary detachment: Optimised Stealth Cadre, Kauyon Campaign
Ghostkeel battlesuits, x3 all with cyclic ion rakers -
1 with velocity tracker, fusion blaster
1 with burst cannon, target lock
1 with burst cannon, target lock
Stealth team
Stealth team

Tertiary detachment: Riptide Wing, Mont'ka Campaign
Iontide, fusion, EWO
Burstide, SMS, EWO
Burstide, SMS, EWO

Here's a picture of the majority of my army - managed to clip out one of my riptides somehow

Ok so strategy here is very simple - aggressive as possible with the Wraithknight whilst the ghosts and tides put out some pain, and stealths, spiders and jetbikes grab maelstrom points and eternal war objectives.

I help to run a podcast on the Scottish 40k scene and our last guest had grudge matched me on it! So I was up against his Eldar first round.

1st round: Crusade and Contact lost. Hammer and Anvil deployment.
Martins list:
CAD
Farseer, bike (warlord)
Baharroth
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
CAD
Farseer, bike
Farseer, bike
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
9 Wraithguard, wraithcannons,
Wraithknight, wraithcannons
Aspect host - spider shrine
3 units of +1 BS spiders

Long and short of it was that Martin wanted gate of infinity on those Wraithguard, but didn't get it on 9 rolls. Very bad luck, as if he had gotten it soon on he could have been gating around nuking riptides with them whilst his WK, scat bikes and spiders took out everything else. As it turned out, I dealt with his WK quickly, and forced his spiders against the back of the board with my ghosts and massacred them, whilst burstides dealt with the scatter bikes and kept my distance from the fairly inept and immobile Wraithguard star and pie plated them with the Iontide. Had he had a good first turn I would have been in trouble, but unfortunately he couldn't kill my wraithknight or Ghostkeels and they were what ruined him.
Tabled him for a 20-0 victory.
Last edited by NoobPwner84 on Feb 23 2016 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Re: Dark Millenium III Tournament Report

Post#2 » Feb 22 2016 12:10

2nd Round - I actually don't remember the mission this game was over so quickly. Vanguard deployment.
Tau list:
Commander, drone controller, iridium armour, two marker drones of his own plus a squad of four (6 total)
Fire warriors
Fire warriors
Skyray
Skyray
Skyray

Riptide wing 1
Iontide
Iontide
Iontide

Riptide wing 2
Burstide
Burstide
Burstide

I win the roll to go first, but even better was my warlord trait - infiltrate 3 units.

I infiltrate the wraithknight, Ghostkeels and a unit of spiders, and first turn the ghosts using target locks killed all the skyrays. The wriathknight D shotted an Iontide and my riptides kill another burstide. Return fire takes the WK down to one wound, but that's it. My second turn my wraithknight moves right up next to the remaining riptides, and D shots two of them. Opponent concedes. Well, that went better than expected.

A little bit of unsavoury stuff here from my opponent as in his first (and only) turn he was rolling more dice than he should have for his nova burst cannon shooting, telling me dice that I couldn't see where he rolled them were 6's for rending but picking them up before I could have a look. I realise that it wasn't going well for him but that kind of behaviour is not on. Some other allegations of stuff over the weekend about this opponent regarding, let's say liberal interpretations of rules.

Anyway - 20-0 win
Last edited by NoobPwner84 on Feb 23 2016 03:38, edited 1 time in total.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#3 » Feb 22 2016 03:48

A fair few Riptide Wings there, is this a theme that will be continued I wonder? Consider me curious.

Hopefully people have progressed onto decent Riptides rather than plastic toy proxies as seen at Cally.

Commander Skyfall
Shas'La

Post#4 » Feb 23 2016 07:12

Great going on the 20-nils, Noobpwner. Sounds like you've got your army list and playstyle in perfect harmony.

Sorry to hear about the unsporting play, hope the rest of the event went well.

Musings: Do you think anti-Riptide wing meta is going to be a necessary feature for anyone building a competitive army list for future tournaments? From your account of Dark Millennium thus far, and from what we saw at Caldeonian, it think it highly likely - the Wing seems a popular choice currently. I'm wondering how Tau best do that? Perhaps the answer is simply: take a Riptide wing? haha :D

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#5 » Feb 23 2016 02:40

nic wrote:A fair few Riptide Wings there, is this a theme that will be continued I wonder? Consider me curious.

Hopefully people have progressed onto decent Riptides rather than plastic toy proxies as seen at Cally.

Yup, plenty of Riptides at this event, they were all over the place!

And happily, no stupid mars attack robot toys but actual riptide models.

Commander Skyfall wrote:Great going on the 20-nils, Noobpwner. Sounds like you've got your army list and playstyle in perfect harmony.

Sorry to hear about the unsporting play, hope the rest of the event went well.

Musings: Do you think anti-Riptide wing meta is going to be a necessary feature for anyone building a competitive army list for future tournaments? From your account of Dark Millennium thus far, and from what we saw at Caldeonian, it think it highly likely - the Wing seems a popular choice currently. I'm wondering how Tau best do that? Perhaps the answer is simply: take a Riptide wing? haha :D

Despite my opponent's army looking strong on paper, when I killed the skyrays he didn't have a lot of markers left and he had derped himself somewhat in his unit selection. What he should have done was have put all the burstides in one unit for the fire team special rule, then a squad of two iontides and a squad of one iontide all in one Riptide wing, rather than a Wing of individual burstides and a second of individual iontides. This would have allowed those in the fireteam to gain BS5 with the fire team bonus + the bonus from another tide in the formation from firing at the same target.

As for riptides themselves - I am not sure that I'm that impressed with their damage output if I'm totally honest. It's very scary to face, but they are not great at killing wraithknights, stormsurges or even other riptides really. Very good at killing squads of MSU, most MC's and light vehicles but I'm not that sold. Might go into a bit more depth post tourney analysis.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#6 » Feb 23 2016 02:59

Round 3 - The Emperor's will and some maelstrom mission I can't remember, Vanguard Deployment.
Playing against my friend Duncan, a solid Tau player. He's going first. Here's his army

Farsight CAD:
Commander, drone controller, two marker drones
Solo XV8, two marker drones, drone controller
Solo XV8, no weapons
5 marker drones
Stormsurge, shield, SMS, Cluster missiles, D Missiles,
Imperial Bunker thing, escape hatch

Riptide Wing
3 x Burstides, SMS, EWO
Iontide, fusion, EWO
Iontide, fusion, EWO

Culexus assassin

My warlord trait was stealth ruins, of which there were many around the table. I fail to seize, and onto first turn.
I have set up my wraithknight way back so it doesn't get D-missiled. As they require to be activated by a markerlight, it turns out that only the XV8 and his two marker drones are in range to light it up, so with only one hit from a marker Duncan tries to take out the WK with the destroyer missile, but does 2 wounds to it instead. Iontides take a further two wounds off. His burstides as well as the sms and cluster missiles of the stormsurge kill one of my burstides. Very annoyingly its the middle one, so my two remaining riptides are out of Nova Reactor reroll range in my turn, so I have to start shuffling them about. Good spot from him though, I hadn't really considered that weakness previously.
My turn and I move the wraithknight up and try to kill his stormsurge with the wraithcannons, doing 3 wounds to it but no destroyer shot. Therefore the warp spiders rush forward and really put the pain on the surge, leaving it with one wound, which my burstide promptly strips and kills it.
For the rest of the game it begins to look a bit hairy, losing my remaining riptides quickly whilst duncan advances. However, the spiders hold the attention of the iontides long enough for them to dispatch one and the wraithknight destroyer hitting another, and the Ghostkeels actually get the better of the burstide unit and kill the culexus that was advancing on them. In the end we only got to turn 4, but I would have tabled him had we went on, only his commander and drones remaining in the bunker.

16-4 to me.

A good game and good result against a very seasoned tau player. First very fun game of the tournament as the other two I was never really under pressure. And as some of you guys were inquiring about riptides - thats 11 I've killed in the last two games! Pretty happy with the end of day one, with me firmly in the driving seat as regards tournament points.
Last edited by NoobPwner84 on Feb 23 2016 03:39, edited 1 time in total.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#7 » Feb 23 2016 03:24

NoobPwner84 wrote:
nic wrote:A fair few Riptide Wings there, is this a theme that will be continued I wonder? Consider me curious.

Yup, plenty of Riptides at this event, they were all over the place!

And happily, no stupid mars attack robot toys but actual riptide models.

Well nobody said the power of the Riptide wing was subtle or easy to overlook!

Glad its proper models. I maybe have a bit of a bee in my bonnet but I would have refused to play against dodgy looking plastic toy proxies.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#8 » Feb 23 2016 03:44

Yeah it was a bit weak just having silly proxies. Those plastic mars attacks things are ugly as sin.

Updated first three games with some pics. Some wraithknight on wraithknight 'square go' action captured for the first game - my personal fave!

nic
Kroot'La

Post#9 » Feb 23 2016 04:00

NoobPwner84 wrote:Yeah it was a bit weak just having silly proxies. Those plastic mars attacks things are ugly as sin.

Updated first three games with some pics. Some wraithknight on wraithknight 'square go' action captured for the first game - my personal fave!

Nice pics. The YVara is definitely a better riptide proxy, shame about shenanigans.

Looking forward to the rest.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#10 » Feb 24 2016 11:44

Onto the 2nd day of the event.

First up, Im playing against my friend Liam who is a very good player and previous member of the scottish ETC team, as was Duncan. Liam has won a lot of the events in Scotland over the last year or so.

Mission: Relic, and some fogotten maelstrom. Dawn of War deployment

His Eldar/Dark Eldar list was something like this:

Eldar CAD
Farseer, bike
scatter bikes
scatter bikes
scatter bikes
scatter bikes

Dark Eldar CAD
Lhaeman, venom
warriors, venom
warriors, venom
warriors, venom
warriors, venom
reavers, cluster caltrops
Voidraven

Dark Eldar CAD
Lhaeman, venom
warriors, venom
warriors, venom
warriors, venom
warriors, venom

To the untrained eye Tau vs Dark Eldar seems a great match up. However, that amount of venoms can put serious pain on the riptides very quickly, and if they get a good assault roll with their cluster caltrops then I'm very dead. And since Liam rolled stealth:ruins as his warlord trait, then those reavers get a 2+ in the ruins so they are going to be tough to shift.

Early game - I win the roll off to go first. I infiltrate a stealth team onto the relic and pick it up, and begin to move it back towards a LOS blocking piece of terrain in my DZ. First round shooting my burstides kill two reaver squads and kill some of a squad of scatter bikes, whilst Iontide kills two venoms and the ghostkeels are out of range.
Liam's first turn, and he boosts the remaining four reaver squads to surround my ghostkeels in a ruin. He shoots and kills one of my burstides, which hurt. He also puts a wound or so onto the wraithknight. This has taken up all his firepower though, and the relic carrying stealths are able to scurry to safety (for the time being) behind LOS blocking terrain.
My next turn, and I make a plan to rescue the ghosts from assault rendy death with reaver spam. I'm going to try and take them out with the SMS from my remaining burstide and the stealth teams, whilst the ghosts themselves are in primo position to take out three Venoms with their ignore cover weapons. As it boils down to it, I kill all but 3 reavers in the ruin, and the ghosts manage to take out two venoms - which is great but I did think that if they can kill 3 skyrays in one turn then they could have killed 3 venoms!!
Wraithknight begins to kick scatter bike units around the place up the left flank (most of the shooty battle is happening up the right side of the board for me).

Late game - The reaver assault on the ghosts comes to little with so few left, and the ghosts kill them and march on, taking out the Voidraven after it and the venoms had taken down my last burstide. The venoms get steadily mopped up by ghosts and warp spiders, whilst the WK stomps the farseer's bike squad. A fortuitious charge by a Lhaeman instant-death attacks one of my ghostkeels, but is then killed by a drone, which is a major relief as that one 10 pts model could have potentially swept and killed the unit!

Again we run out of time, but with my last shooting phase I've killed off the last of the jetbikes or venoms that could boost to contest my relic, and Liam has only 3 kabalite warriors and a lhaeman left.

19-1.

Could have went the other way very easily - Liam got unlucky with the reavers, that was his chance really. But happy with the result. At work just now but hopefully I've got some pics to put up later.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#11 » Mar 02 2016 04:24

So onwards to game 5. Playing against another Team Scotland member, a friend of mine called Scott who was using Eldar. As some of you smart cookies may have noticed the terrain had been the same for my last few games as I had been on Table 1 the whole time, so the TO swapped around the tables for my benefit which was good of them.

Mission: Scouring, and some un-remembered maelstrom. Vanguard deployment.

Scott's Eldar

Farseer, bike
Autarch, Hawk Wings, fusion blaster, power sword
Yolo Warlock, bike
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
Vyper
Wraithknight, wraithcannons, scatter laser

Spider Shrine
x 3 spider units

Spider Shrine
x 3 spider units

Scott wins the roll off and choses to deploy and go first. I have a notorious rep amongst my friends for setting up to seize the initiative which sadly doesn't happen this time as I roll a 5. Scott gets super lucky and rolls both invisibility and the 4++ power (can't remember name, when you play Tau all psychic is cheating majic!) which considering he only has one farseer is good going.

In his first turn Scott shuffles about with some warp spiders and scatter bikes, farseer makes WK invisible and gives it a 4++. He shoots at one of my burstides but does little damage. My first turn, I nova my shooting and kill a spider squad and two units of scatter bikes.

Second turn, and Scott's WK shoots and D shots one of my riptides. I also lose my WK to almost all the other shooting in his army, so its starting to look hairy. However it was in my turn that the game really went away from me - I killed his farseer with my ghosts shooting, and had I then jumped away I probably would still have had enough to take down his now non-invis wraithknight in the next turn. Instead of being that sensible though, as I'd used my target locks to shoot at some scatter bikes and some of them still remained, I went for a crazy charge that I then subsequently failed and left the ghostkeels in the middle of nowhere but within easy charge range of the WK next turn. And thats pretty much how it played out. Scott's wraithknight pummelled my ghosts into submission over two rounds of combat, finally sweeping them, whilst all his reserve spiders steadily murdered my riptides. In the end I only had my autarch and the two spider units left, but I was hanging on trying not to get tabled.

16-4 loss.

I think Scott played very well here and deserved to win. I did however absolutely ruin my own chances with a couple of very bad decisions. Primarily if I had jumped my ghosts unit away from the WK, I would have had a chance of taking it down next turn with them and the remaining riptides plus my own warp spiders, then I could have been focusing on whittling down his spiders. A long shot perhaps, but would have meant a reduced loss at the worst. I was irritated at myself for this as I had been stomping Eldar recently at events, losing only to Tau in any competitions for quite some time. Ah well, I enjoyed the game. And you learn more in defeat - namely, don't derp yourself out of the win!

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#12 » Mar 02 2016 04:43

And finally - game 6. For the first time since my game 1, I'm not on table 1. Playing on table 2 vs Duncan's Tau again. The rules pack stated that you could play against the same opponent in the last game if they had a similar points tally, and Duncan had pretty much smashed all his opponents aside from me so we were up against each other. Incidently it was another Tau army vs Scott's (game 5 opponent) eldar on table 1.

Mission: Crusade plus some Maelstrom. Deployment - Hammer and Anvil

Duncan wins the roll off and elects to deploy and go first. I deploy far back enough so that few markerlights will be in range of my wraithknight to deny a lot of destroyer missile activations from his stormsurge.

However I roll and seize the initiative, and get the jump on him. In my first turn the warp spiders again horribly ruin the stormsurge, stripping 5 wounds from it and my riptides finish it off. My WK puts a couple of wounds on the closest fire team burstide.

In Duncan's first turn his shooting does enough to take down my Wraithknight, but over the next few turns I am wracking up maelstrom points whilst he is not scoring too many. He also has terrible luck on his nova rolls, wounding three riptides in one turn despite riptide wing rerolls. Steadily my tides, ghosts and spiders kill the iontides and I eventually charge his two remaining riptides with my ghosts, which holds them up the rest of the game. His commander does heroically slay a unit of jetbikes and a unit of stealth suits in close combat, however its not enough to stop me from getting a big win on primaries and secondaries.

19-1 victory.

Duncan's luck was out here with me seizing and wasting the stormsurge, and after that my mobility was scoring me tonnes of Maelstrom points each turn. He also had poor luck on his nova rolls which could have made it a closer game.

In the end, I finish 2nd in the tournament - only 3 tournament points behind Scott who beat me in game 5. However Scott was a worthy winner as he did win all 6 games, not easy to do with the level of competition that was at this event.

As a result of coming 2nd, I won an X-wing starter set. I haven't played X-wing before but hear its a great game. It also has the awesome new Force Awakens models in it:

nic
Kroot'La

Post#13 » Mar 02 2016 04:50

Well done on an impressive showing.

So lots of big stompy stuff is definitely in fashion at the moment - it is not really a surprise as Riptide Wings and Wraithknights are pretty obviously strong. Big models looking good is nice to see.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#14 » Mar 02 2016 05:04

Post Tournament Analysis:

1) My army

I thought that my army performed rather well. As with Caledonian Uprising, the core unit I had built my army round were the OSC ghostkeel unit and they didn't disappoint. They only all got killed when I decided to leave them right in front of an enemy wraithknight like an idiot. This unit has so much going for it - it ruins all forms of armour short of AV14, destroys light transport spam, infantry and MC's in equal measure and is extremely durable with a 2++ cover plus the countermeasures. Great unit too for squishing spiders in combat when you can't pin them down in shooting. 2nd best unit in the Tau armoury just now, superseded only by a Burstide Riptide Wing fire team, but that requires markerlight support, wheras Wall of Mirrors + fire team means that the Ghost OSC unit is a Tau rarity - completely independent and deadly with it.

Riptide Wing - Now, I felt it nigh obligatory to include a tide wing, but unsupported by markerlights they did ok but not spectacular. I was wondering whether I should have persevered with my trusty Firebase Support Cadre (would have been of use for the amount of tides/WK's I played against). However, one thing that riptides do have is the fear factor. Opponents often have an unrealistic fear of what they can accomplish and therefore shoot at them a lot. Which is ok as they are relatively durable aside from against destroyer hits, and mobile enough to get away from trouble they can't deal with. I think that if you build your army around a burstide fire team and can support it you can do lots of damage, however not sure my riptide wing of 3 individual tides is anywhere near optimal.

Eldar allies - I will say that a lot of my success came down to using a Wraithknight and two units of Warp Spiders alongside the Tau formations. The fact that I have a large Eldar army and had access to these models means it would be crazy not to utilise them. These two units are simply awesome in their killing power (Wraithknights), their annoyance factor (Spiders) and their durability (both). The ability to charge head first at the opponents with the WK knowing that it will take the heat and allow my tides and ghosts to do all the work is very satisfying.

2) Did I meet my goals from going into this event?

Ok so despite some strong showings at tournaments this year, I haven't won any. However, I feel I have done relatively well - over the last 3 tournaments I have only lost 3 games from 16 and only 1 game per event - all on table 1 against a Tau'nar Supremacy suit, and two ETC players respectively.

With a 2nd place finish in a strong field, I was pretty happy with that.

3) The metagame!! It's all about the metagame!

My thoughts on current UK tournament meta -

This is something we have discussed at length on the Caledonian Deathwatch podcast - tournaments these days are perhaps displaying a bit of a cancer at the heart of the 40k hobby IMO. Unless your units are on a bike, cavalry, flying or are MC's then they are pretty much cannon fodder. Next to nobody from my regular opponents use the models they bought getting into the hobby - fire warrior blobs, marines, terminators, tyranid warriors, orks - the list is endless. I feel that if you enjoy competitive play you are generally getting pushed to buy 'moar big shiny scary stuff' like riptides, wraithknights etc. However, I do realise that GW has to keep making a profit and therefore so be it. I had hoarded enough models over the last couple of years that I have enough units and armies to keep me immune from the meta changes, though it does make me sad that there is a lack of guardsmen, marines, orks, nid warriors etc on the tables these days.

As regards my rankings of 40k armies currently, based on my experience from the last 4 big events I've attended I'd say-

1. Eldar (many builds possible - spider spam, scatter bike spam, seer council etc etc)
2. Tau (again, a few builds to go for)
3. Necrons (generally restricted to LifeStar in Decurion/Canoptek)
4. Marine Deathstars, whether SM/SW/DA or mixes of some/all of them

Sadly, this is likely to be my last competitive event for quite some time as I will be going travelling for a year or so. Hopefully I will be settling down in New Zealand this time next year, so may get my armies shipped out to me to sample the tourney scene on the other side of the world :D

Thanks for reading

Commander Skyfall
Shas'La

Post#15 » Mar 03 2016 07:56

Great going, Noobpwner :D
I think you should be justifiably proud of 2nd place, especially considering some of those armies you were up against!

Thanks for you meta analysis, too. Really helpful to see what's powerful (and popular) on the tournament scene.

You've inspired me to look at taking an OSC of my very own ;)

NoobPwner84
Shas'La

Post#16 » Mar 03 2016 10:58

nic wrote:Well done on an impressive showing.

So lots of big stompy stuff is definitely in fashion at the moment - it is not really a surprise as Riptide Wings and Wraithknights are pretty obviously strong. Big models looking good is nice to see.

Thanks Nic. Certainly the big stuff is what's in just now, though exceptions like spiders can do MSU very well I think. Though I would say that there wasn't a Wolfstar army or super Marines deathstar and they could have caused many armies - including mine - tonnes of problems.

And yeah, my army aside - i'm a neat painter, nothing more - the painting and modelling was pretty good at Dark Millenium.

Commander Skyfall wrote:Great going, Noobpwner :D
I think you should be justifiably proud of 2nd place, especially considering some of those armies you were up against!

Thanks for you meta analysis, too. Really helpful to see what's powerful (and popular) on the tournament scene.

You've inspired me to look at taking an OSC of my very own ;)

Thank you Skyfall. Glad that you think the OSC would add something to your army. It's certainly a formation that holds its own very very well. I think the worst match up for it is probably ever living Necrons buffed to the max, as the S7 ap 4 ignoring cover is less great against them, when what you need is probably a Wolfstar or a couple of wraithknights really, don't think Tau deal with it very well. However Duncan (my Tau opponent games 3 and 6) did defeat my friend Paul's lifestar Necrons 15-5 after seizing the initiative on him. Which reminds me - think you've played against a few of the scottish guys that were there such as Liam, Martin and Paul at Cally did you not?

Return to “Battle Reports”