Dark Millenium III Tournament Report

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Dark Millenium III Tournament Report

Post#11 » Mar 02 2016 04:24

So onwards to game 5. Playing against another Team Scotland member, a friend of mine called Scott who was using Eldar. As some of you smart cookies may have noticed the terrain had been the same for my last few games as I had been on Table 1 the whole time, so the TO swapped around the tables for my benefit which was good of them.

Mission: Scouring, and some un-remembered maelstrom. Vanguard deployment.

Scott's Eldar

Farseer, bike
Autarch, Hawk Wings, fusion blaster, power sword
Yolo Warlock, bike
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
Scatter bikes
Vyper
Wraithknight, wraithcannons, scatter laser

Spider Shrine
x 3 spider units

Spider Shrine
x 3 spider units

Scott wins the roll off and choses to deploy and go first. I have a notorious rep amongst my friends for setting up to seize the initiative which sadly doesn't happen this time as I roll a 5. Scott gets super lucky and rolls both invisibility and the 4++ power (can't remember name, when you play Tau all psychic is cheating majic!) which considering he only has one farseer is good going.

In his first turn Scott shuffles about with some warp spiders and scatter bikes, farseer makes WK invisible and gives it a 4++. He shoots at one of my burstides but does little damage. My first turn, I nova my shooting and kill a spider squad and two units of scatter bikes.

Second turn, and Scott's WK shoots and D shots one of my riptides. I also lose my WK to almost all the other shooting in his army, so its starting to look hairy. However it was in my turn that the game really went away from me - I killed his farseer with my ghosts shooting, and had I then jumped away I probably would still have had enough to take down his now non-invis wraithknight in the next turn. Instead of being that sensible though, as I'd used my target locks to shoot at some scatter bikes and some of them still remained, I went for a crazy charge that I then subsequently failed and left the ghostkeels in the middle of nowhere but within easy charge range of the WK next turn. And thats pretty much how it played out. Scott's wraithknight pummelled my ghosts into submission over two rounds of combat, finally sweeping them, whilst all his reserve spiders steadily murdered my riptides. In the end I only had my autarch and the two spider units left, but I was hanging on trying not to get tabled.

16-4 loss.

I think Scott played very well here and deserved to win. I did however absolutely ruin my own chances with a couple of very bad decisions. Primarily if I had jumped my ghosts unit away from the WK, I would have had a chance of taking it down next turn with them and the remaining riptides plus my own warp spiders, then I could have been focusing on whittling down his spiders. A long shot perhaps, but would have meant a reduced loss at the worst. I was irritated at myself for this as I had been stomping Eldar recently at events, losing only to Tau in any competitions for quite some time. Ah well, I enjoyed the game. And you learn more in defeat - namely, don't derp yourself out of the win!
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Mar 02 2016 04:43

And finally - game 6. For the first time since my game 1, I'm not on table 1. Playing on table 2 vs Duncan's Tau again. The rules pack stated that you could play against the same opponent in the last game if they had a similar points tally, and Duncan had pretty much smashed all his opponents aside from me so we were up against each other. Incidently it was another Tau army vs Scott's (game 5 opponent) eldar on table 1.

Mission: Crusade plus some Maelstrom. Deployment - Hammer and Anvil

Duncan wins the roll off and elects to deploy and go first. I deploy far back enough so that few markerlights will be in range of my wraithknight to deny a lot of destroyer missile activations from his stormsurge.

However I roll and seize the initiative, and get the jump on him. In my first turn the warp spiders again horribly ruin the stormsurge, stripping 5 wounds from it and my riptides finish it off. My WK puts a couple of wounds on the closest fire team burstide.

In Duncan's first turn his shooting does enough to take down my Wraithknight, but over the next few turns I am wracking up maelstrom points whilst he is not scoring too many. He also has terrible luck on his nova rolls, wounding three riptides in one turn despite riptide wing rerolls. Steadily my tides, ghosts and spiders kill the iontides and I eventually charge his two remaining riptides with my ghosts, which holds them up the rest of the game. His commander does heroically slay a unit of jetbikes and a unit of stealth suits in close combat, however its not enough to stop me from getting a big win on primaries and secondaries.

19-1 victory.

Duncan's luck was out here with me seizing and wasting the stormsurge, and after that my mobility was scoring me tonnes of Maelstrom points each turn. He also had poor luck on his nova rolls which could have made it a closer game.

In the end, I finish 2nd in the tournament - only 3 tournament points behind Scott who beat me in game 5. However Scott was a worthy winner as he did win all 6 games, not easy to do with the level of competition that was at this event.

As a result of coming 2nd, I won an X-wing starter set. I haven't played X-wing before but hear its a great game. It also has the awesome new Force Awakens models in it:

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#13 » Mar 02 2016 04:50

Well done on an impressive showing.

So lots of big stompy stuff is definitely in fashion at the moment - it is not really a surprise as Riptide Wings and Wraithknights are pretty obviously strong. Big models looking good is nice to see.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Mar 02 2016 05:04

Post Tournament Analysis:

1) My army

I thought that my army performed rather well. As with Caledonian Uprising, the core unit I had built my army round were the OSC ghostkeel unit and they didn't disappoint. They only all got killed when I decided to leave them right in front of an enemy wraithknight like an idiot. This unit has so much going for it - it ruins all forms of armour short of AV14, destroys light transport spam, infantry and MC's in equal measure and is extremely durable with a 2++ cover plus the countermeasures. Great unit too for squishing spiders in combat when you can't pin them down in shooting. 2nd best unit in the Tau armoury just now, superseded only by a Burstide Riptide Wing fire team, but that requires markerlight support, wheras Wall of Mirrors + fire team means that the Ghost OSC unit is a Tau rarity - completely independent and deadly with it.

Riptide Wing - Now, I felt it nigh obligatory to include a tide wing, but unsupported by markerlights they did ok but not spectacular. I was wondering whether I should have persevered with my trusty Firebase Support Cadre (would have been of use for the amount of tides/WK's I played against). However, one thing that riptides do have is the fear factor. Opponents often have an unrealistic fear of what they can accomplish and therefore shoot at them a lot. Which is ok as they are relatively durable aside from against destroyer hits, and mobile enough to get away from trouble they can't deal with. I think that if you build your army around a burstide fire team and can support it you can do lots of damage, however not sure my riptide wing of 3 individual tides is anywhere near optimal.

Eldar allies - I will say that a lot of my success came down to using a Wraithknight and two units of Warp Spiders alongside the Tau formations. The fact that I have a large Eldar army and had access to these models means it would be crazy not to utilise them. These two units are simply awesome in their killing power (Wraithknights), their annoyance factor (Spiders) and their durability (both). The ability to charge head first at the opponents with the WK knowing that it will take the heat and allow my tides and ghosts to do all the work is very satisfying.

2) Did I meet my goals from going into this event?

Ok so despite some strong showings at tournaments this year, I haven't won any. However, I feel I have done relatively well - over the last 3 tournaments I have only lost 3 games from 16 and only 1 game per event - all on table 1 against a Tau'nar Supremacy suit, and two ETC players respectively.

With a 2nd place finish in a strong field, I was pretty happy with that.

3) The metagame!! It's all about the metagame!

My thoughts on current UK tournament meta -

This is something we have discussed at length on the Caledonian Deathwatch podcast - tournaments these days are perhaps displaying a bit of a cancer at the heart of the 40k hobby IMO. Unless your units are on a bike, cavalry, flying or are MC's then they are pretty much cannon fodder. Next to nobody from my regular opponents use the models they bought getting into the hobby - fire warrior blobs, marines, terminators, tyranid warriors, orks - the list is endless. I feel that if you enjoy competitive play you are generally getting pushed to buy 'moar big shiny scary stuff' like riptides, wraithknights etc. However, I do realise that GW has to keep making a profit and therefore so be it. I had hoarded enough models over the last couple of years that I have enough units and armies to keep me immune from the meta changes, though it does make me sad that there is a lack of guardsmen, marines, orks, nid warriors etc on the tables these days.

As regards my rankings of 40k armies currently, based on my experience from the last 4 big events I've attended I'd say-

1. Eldar (many builds possible - spider spam, scatter bike spam, seer council etc etc)
2. Tau (again, a few builds to go for)
3. Necrons (generally restricted to LifeStar in Decurion/Canoptek)
4. Marine Deathstars, whether SM/SW/DA or mixes of some/all of them

Sadly, this is likely to be my last competitive event for quite some time as I will be going travelling for a year or so. Hopefully I will be settling down in New Zealand this time next year, so may get my armies shipped out to me to sample the tourney scene on the other side of the world :D

Thanks for reading

Commander Skyfall
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Mar 03 2016 07:56

Great going, Noobpwner :D
I think you should be justifiably proud of 2nd place, especially considering some of those armies you were up against!

Thanks for you meta analysis, too. Really helpful to see what's powerful (and popular) on the tournament scene.

You've inspired me to look at taking an OSC of my very own ;)

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Mar 03 2016 10:58

nic wrote:Well done on an impressive showing.

So lots of big stompy stuff is definitely in fashion at the moment - it is not really a surprise as Riptide Wings and Wraithknights are pretty obviously strong. Big models looking good is nice to see.

Thanks Nic. Certainly the big stuff is what's in just now, though exceptions like spiders can do MSU very well I think. Though I would say that there wasn't a Wolfstar army or super Marines deathstar and they could have caused many armies - including mine - tonnes of problems.

And yeah, my army aside - i'm a neat painter, nothing more - the painting and modelling was pretty good at Dark Millenium.

Commander Skyfall wrote:Great going, Noobpwner :D
I think you should be justifiably proud of 2nd place, especially considering some of those armies you were up against!

Thanks for you meta analysis, too. Really helpful to see what's powerful (and popular) on the tournament scene.

You've inspired me to look at taking an OSC of my very own ;)

Thank you Skyfall. Glad that you think the OSC would add something to your army. It's certainly a formation that holds its own very very well. I think the worst match up for it is probably ever living Necrons buffed to the max, as the S7 ap 4 ignoring cover is less great against them, when what you need is probably a Wolfstar or a couple of wraithknights really, don't think Tau deal with it very well. However Duncan (my Tau opponent games 3 and 6) did defeat my friend Paul's lifestar Necrons 15-5 after seizing the initiative on him. Which reminds me - think you've played against a few of the scottish guys that were there such as Liam, Martin and Paul at Cally did you not?

Return to “Battle Reports”