[Batrep] 1850 Local Tournament

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

[Batrep] 1850 Local Tournament

Post#1 » Jun 09 2016 11:36

Greetings fellow commanders. I am here to share my latest adventure with you all. I participated in a local tournament at the end of May, bringing what I thought would be the nastiest list I could make. Without further ado, here is the rundown of the tournament:

Tournament Format
We were using the new GW FAQ when possible, but also using ITC FAQ when it came to 'balance' issues, such as Invisibility and ranged D weapons. We were, however, also using the full rules for Angels of Death, un-altered, which could have been abused but nobody did.
1850 points, 3 detachments, limit of 1 LoW (Knights excepted).
5 points for a win, 2 points for a draw, and 1 point for a loss and total Kill Points acting as the tiebreaker for identical w/l/d records.

The Field
8 players participated: Imperial Knights, Tau, Tau, Space Marines, Space Wolves, Astra Militarum, Orks, & Khorne Daemonkin.
The ones to watch out for were the Imperial Knights player (Riptide Wing and Baronial Court, including Acheron), the other Tau player (Dual Stormsurges & Riptide Wing), and the imperial players since they were all using Angels of Death in some way.
A few of our veteran players were unable to attend, which boded well for me, but we had some decent players, including one who attends the major tournaments in the area.

My List

Combined Arms Detachment- Farsight Enclaves
    Shas'O w/ Fusion Blades, Talisman, Iridium, DC, VRT, 2 Marker Drones
    Heatwave-D monat
    Heatwave-D monat
    4x Marker Drones
    2x Tetras
    Y'vahra w/ EWO, Stims
    Stormsurge w/ EWO, VT, Shield, Pulse Blastcannon, Burst Cannons

Riptide Wing
    2x Iontide w/ EWO
    1x Bursttide w/ EWO, VT

Officio Assassinorum

Culexus

I decided early on that I wanted to play to win. Normally I prefer a mid-level list that uses Crisis suits more than anything else, but I was tired of getting outclassed by the cheesy formations and rules so I decided I would bring as much cheese as I could muster.
I approached this list thinking that if I could take 2 Stormsurges that would have been the best, but since I didn't own a second one I had to make do with the Y'vahra and the Culexus. I was OK with that since I really did want to include the Culexus in case I faced some psychic shenanigans. The VT's were insurance in case I went up against a Daemon or Tyranid player since they were the only factions I expected to have any sort of flyer. Unfortunately for me, neither of these players came so they were completely wasted points.

Going into the tournament, I felt pretty good, but there were some scary lists out there.

Index
Round 1: Bork'an 4th vs. Iron Hands
Round 2: Bork'an 4th vs. Orks
Round 3: Bork'an 4th vs. Tau Empire
Final Thoughts

I will post each round separately below to make it easier on myself for formatting

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Round 1 vs. Iron Hands

Post#2 » Jun 09 2016 11:51

Round 1: Space Marines
---Shas'el Bork'an J'Shas'ka cut the thrust to his jets and landed lightly atop an abandoned Imperial bunker. His battlesuit's auto-sensors detected none of the outpost's inhabitants, so they had likely fled the area. A wise choice, given the circumstances. El'J'Shas'ka understood this particular type of Gue'ron'sha was especially zealous and was just as likely to kill loyal imperial subjects as they were to kill their actual enemies.
The low rumble of the approaching armoured column grew, filling the air and sending vibrations through the battlesuit. The Tau commander steadied himself and prepared to send targeting commands to the school of marker drones revolving around him.---

My First opponent of the day was Space Marines. He is a fluffy Black Templars player but he was trying out the new Angels of Death formations so I think technically his formations were really "iron hands"
The emperor's champion model was just there for looks.

Anvil Strike Force
Land Raider Spearhead
    2 regular Land Raiders
    1 Land Raider Crusader (warlord)
    3x Tactical Squads (5 marines w/ a Flakk Missile Launcher)
Armoured Task Force
    1 Techmarine
    1 Thunderfire Cannon
    1 Predator w/ Lascannons
    2 Vindicators
Officio Assassinorum
    Culexus Assassin
Officio Assassinorum
    Eversor Assassin

Ordinarily, vehicles are an easy game for Tau, but he had a LOT of vehicles and they were all basically immune to everything except an Explodes! result. He was also packing a large number weapons that worked well against my Riptides and Stormsurge.

The Mission
3-card Maelstrom but you also scored for objectives that you held at the end of the game. This mission type should favor me since I had the better mobility and I was thinking my Stormsurge and Y'vahra could thin out his heavy vehicles pretty quickly.

Deployment
Dawn of War setup. we basically split into two flanks. My Stormsurge, Bursttide, and Y'vahra faced his Land Raiders+Predator+Thunderfire while my other units faced his Vindicators and tactical marines. I made a big error here because I had the option of Outflanking my Y'vahra which I definitely should have done (Strategic warlord trait).
We infiltrated our Culexi in the middle and he put his Eversor behind a Land Raider, ready to hop inside on turn 1.

First Turns
Unfortunately for me, he seized the initiative and was able to kill my Y'vahra right off the bat (boo!). He also had an exceptional first draw, so he scored all of his cards (including one worth 3VP) and got First Blood. So after turn 1 he had 6 VP's to my 1.
That hurt since the Y'vahra was one of my major anti-vehicle sources. The D missiles I was able to fire didn't do a whole lot of damage and most of my Stormsurge's weaponry was pretty useless against the AV14. My first turn of shooting did very little so I was feeling pretty discouraged.
Over the next couple turns I cleared away the marine squads, Vindicators, and Culexus from the one flank while he took down my Stormsurge on the other. I caught a lucky break around turn 3 and drew the objective where you need to kill the first two things you target, scoring 6 points on the single card (whoohoo!) closing the gap on objectives. My Riptides were starting to run low on wounds, especially the Bursttide that kept burning itself with its own weapon.
Stormsurge about to have his last wound stripped by Deadpool the Eversor

Later Turns
We both started to slowly wear each other down. His vehicles just kept pounding away at me while I was struggling to put hull points on his land raiders. To make matters worse, his Power of the Machine spirit allowed him exceptional shooting efficiency while my Riptides were at the mercy of the scatter die. I failed some key rolls in the later turns but I made some amazing invulnerable saves too. Overall, the game was actually going my way since I was consistently scoring objectives while he was confined to a corner of the board. Assuming he didn't table me, things were looking good. The game ended on turn 5, which favored me I think.

Conclusion: Victory!
I had scored 15 points to his 13. He had two wounded Land Raiders (including his Warlord) and a Techmarine, while I had a Riptide with 4 wounds, the Culexus, and a unit of marker drones hidden in the backfield to avoid being tabled.

Overall, it was a fun game and he was my favorite opponent of the day. His list was fun to play against and it was refreshing to see a marine army that didn't include psykers, bikes, or thundercav. The special detachment and formations really helped make it playable. Those land raiders were essentially Superheavy Vehicles the way they could split fire and soak up damage. He took 5th place in the tourney overall.

My own army was disappointing me a little bit. The Culexus at least had killed some tactical marines and a techmarine, but the Stormsurge hadn't killed hardly anything and the Y'vahra killed exactly nothing. The Riptides did all the heavy lifting and kept me alive to win the game but I think much of that was luck.

Lessons Learned
-Outflank the Y'vahra: I should have recognized how deadly the lascannon barrage would be to my poor Y'vahra. My plan of distracting him with the Stormsurge hadn't worked, likely because he had faced my Y'vahra before and knew how potent it was.
-Kill the Warlord. I suppose I hadn't realized just how powerful the ability to have a vehicle shoot twice Every turn would be. If I had sacrificed some units (mainly the markerlights) to get maximum marker hits on his Warlord I could have hit him with 4 D missiles ignoring cover.
-Riptide Hailfire: I moved my Riptides before using this power, which isn't allowed. I felt this balanced out because I forgot I even had the ability till turn 3. That and I didn't even fire with the Bursttide that turn because I thought it had a max range of 24" (doh!)
-Focus Fire. I was a bit scatterbrained after a long hiatus away from the game. It showed in how I targeted things willy nilly. Since I spread my fire around getting greedy, he was able to shoot at full power for longer than I should have let him.
-Keep the Riptides within 6" of each other, especially the Bursttide. I failed at least two Nova rolls, even with re-rolls. Then the Bursttide hurt itself with Gets Hot! a lot too.
-Aggression. I only started to turn the tide after my MC's started to get close. His Eversor frightened me so I hung back but I probably would have been better off running straight at him and getting into combat on turn 2. It might not have worked, but I think it would have been a better use of my Bursttide than hoping for Rends.

Oh well. Victory was mine and it was on to round 2!

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Round 2 vs. Orks

Post#3 » Jun 09 2016 12:06

Round 2: Orks

Round 2 was against an Ork player that had won narrowly against the Baronial Court+Riptide Wing. Mostly due to the extra VP's you score by stripping HP off of Lords of War.

Piles of orks

Combined Arms Detachment
    Warboss
    5x10 Boyz
    1 unit of Grots
Bully Boyz
    3x5 Meganobz w/ Trukks
Council of Waaaagh!
    Ghazghkull Thraka
    Mad Dok Grotsnik
    Big Mek
    5x Nobz
    2x Warbosses

His list had a ton of models but he was so strapped for points he had virtually no upgrades, which surprised me. He apparently couldn't even afford the kustom force field on his Big Mek. With no invulnerable saves and minimum sized squads I figured I had a decent chance.
The problem with this list is that from the Orks' first turn onwards everything is fearless and operating under a Waaaagh! So I would have to be very wary of how far he charge/move in a turn. Not to mention Ghaz being practically invincible during a Waaagh!

The Mission
This game was area control, which ordinarily would favor the Orks. Six 2'x2' table sections had to be completely controlled to score 2 VP. Other VP were awarded for killing a marked target, Warlord, and for keeping your own marked target alive. I marked the truck his Council was riding in, since it HAD to die, and he marked my Culexus assassin thinking it would be the squishiest target.

Deployment
My Stormsurge. He has lots of work left to do
Hammer and Anvil (yay!). I won the rolloff and chose to try and go first, even though he'd be seizing on a 5+ (Stormsurge). I spread out with the Stormsurge well back, just in case he seized and zoomed up. I was hoping to possibly put anchors down and mow him down on turn 2. I deployed the Culexus far back, intending only to use him if the Orks got really close and hopefully get me the VP for not losing my marked unit.

Commander way up high. Good luck making it up here Orkies!

He deployed his own models in a spread out fashion to avoid my large blasts. The Mega Nobz and Council were in trucks and everyone else just took up space. From his deployment, I was guessing he was hoping to send the Nobz and Council in, supported by a few Boyz squads, as ballistic missiles to cause mayhem while the rest of his boyz sat and claimed his own zone.

I'm taking my first turn but you can see how he spread out

First Turns
Thankfully, he did not seize the initiative, so I felt I had a good chance here. His list heavily relied on getting first turn and I could lay down an insane amount of firepower against his largely unprotected army. I jumped the Y'vahra into ongoing reserves and shuffled my units, awaiting his impending charge.

Council sitting in the crater that used to be their trukk

I popped the Council's transport and one other transport but failed to destroy the third until the second turn due to bad scatter. A few boyz died here and there but not much since I was out of range with the Stormsurge and my Bursttide (for the first round and this one, I was under the impression the Heavy Burst Cannon had a range of 24" so I cheated myself out of some extra firepower in both games).
The Y'vahra and Crisis monats arrived. The Monats did very little but the Y'vahra killed most of a Meganobz squad with his AP2 torrent. My opponent was quite peeved and had some things to say about Forgeworld being OP, yadda yadda yadda.

"Drive Ork!" My monat decided to take a ride in a trukk 'wreck'

Later Turns
I consolidated forwards, killing the single Meganob that got into close combat with me and started clearing away Boyz with smart missiles and rocket pods. My Stormsurge, who had waited in the wings for the first couple turns started moving forward so that it could actually hit something with his primary weapon. As it happens, he shot the Grots with it, which was amazing overkill.
His line started to collapse backwards. His momentum was entirely gone and I was eating through his lines pretty quickly. It was just a matter of how much I killed before the game ended. I had feared his Council would give me trouble, but he had elected to retreat the Council after its trukk was destroyed. His intention was to keep his Warlord alive, especially since he needed Ghaz alive to grant Fearless to everyone.
I put my Y'vahra into his deployment zone to keep Ghaz in the area and to possibly contest one of the table sections. He charged me but the Y'vahra is much tougher to kill in close combat than you'd think and he survived with 1 wound. Although for this combat I had thought his toughness was 5, so he might have taken a wound or two that he shouldn't have. He passed his initiative check and hopped out of close combat, ready to burn some more Orks. Unfortunately, we ran out of time and had to call it.

Riptide dance party. A lonely Meganob was stomped dead trying to join in.

We ran out of time (moving all those Boyz takes a loooooong time) after turn 4. I controlled 3 of the table quarters to his 1, with 2 quarters being contested. I had killed the trukk and kept my own marked unit alive but failed to kill Ghaz (naturally). The game ended 2 to 10 VP in my favor. Tau win again, though it was such a turkey shoot my opponent was pretty bummed and it took some of the joy out of the win.

I had killed 10 units and he had only killed one of my Crisis suits. It was a pretty lopsided battle so I could understand his frustration, even if it was his own doing relying so much on getting first turn.

There wasn't a whole lot to this game, but it demonstrated how deadly the list can be when given full rein to shoot stuff. Had my opponent pushed forward with Ghaz, he may have had a better chance as I'd be forced to deal with his 2+, 2++, 5+++ eternal warrior warlord. Ghaz was the thing I feared most, since I wasn't sure I had the volume of fire to take him down before I was overrun. My opponent played it safe and ended up rendering his very expensive council practically useless for the game.

Lessons Learned
-Stormsurge primary weapon range is short. I only fired it twice the whole game due to being deployed too far back. If you take the pulse shotgun, you really do need to be on the front lines.
-Y'vahra is Toughness 6. This hurt me in my last game (lost him first turn) since he was hit with lots of heavy bolters. It might not have really made a difference though.
-Orks without force fields in minimum squads are really easy to wipe out. It felt too easy wiping away an entire Meganob squad with a single Ion Accelerator blast too.

On to the final round!

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Round 3 vs. Tau Empire

Post#4 » Jun 09 2016 12:38

Round 3: Tau Empire

I was going into the final round against the only other undefeated player in the tourney. He played Tau Empire and he played a list very similar to my own:

Combined Arms Detachment
    Commander w/ DC, SG, & 2 Marker Drones
    6 Fire Warriors
    6 Fire Warriors
    Tetra
    Tetra
    Unit of 2 Stormsurges. One with the Driver Cannon and one with the Blastcannon
Riptide Wing
    3x Riptides with Heavy Burst Cannons, SMS, & Stims

Obviously, we had the same ideas, though he had the second Stormsurge model for his list. I would have done some things differently but it was obviously working for him so far. My biggest issue would be saving myself from his greater quantity of D missiles, after that I felt that I had the upper hand in terms of Anti-MC firepower since my Y'vahra wouldn't be too bad vs. his Stormsurges and my Riptides had AP2 weaponry. We both had the same amount of Kill Points (9) but I had the upper hand since I could score an extra 4 VP if I killed his Stormsurges to his 2.

The Mission
The mission was pure Kill Points. We were also each given a "base" building which was worth 3 extra points if destroyed. Slay the Warlord, First Blood, Last Blood.
I won the roll-off again, which was huge. Shooting first in this game would be one of the deciding factors, so I was quite relieved.
Since I played Farsight Enclaves and he played Tau Empire, we viewed this as the loyalist Tau trying to beat my Enclaves back into the fold. Who will prevail?

Deployment
Vanguard Strike. I put most stuff forward, thinking I'd need to close with him to use my Blastcannon. Plus, I knew he was the type to try and put his anchors down on the Stormsurges. I started the Y'vahra in reserves and deployed the rest out front. My building was also completely obscured so he had no chance of destroying it without leaving his side of the board.
He deployed opposite, castled up on top of his "base" which granted him a 3+ cover save (grrr). He made a big error here. He forgot to deploy his commander and his pair of marker drones. They would have to deploy via Deep Strike and meant I had even fewer markerlights to deal with on the first turn.

First Turns
I focused my first turn on clearing out his markerlights. The leftover shooting (which was quite a bit since he didn't have many markerlights) went to the Stormsurges. We traded fire but I came out with markerlights and he didn't. I was able to kill both Stormsurges over turns 2 and 3, and his tetras on turn 1. I also killed both markerlights on the turn his commander Deep Struck. I had forgotten about his base, which was a bummer since I definitely could have destroyed it with the amount of high Strength blasts I kept dropping on top of it while shooting the Stormsurges.
In exchange, I lost my Tetras, one of my Crisis suits, and my own Stormsurge. Since Lord of War granted extra VP's for wounds stripped, I was pretty far ahead going into the later part of the game. It could have been much worse since ITC has nerfed the rules for ranged D weapons. Otherwise I would have killed his Stormsurge unit with my D-missiles (I rolled one of the magical 6's).

Later Turns
The Y'vahra went down to the enemy Riptides' Hailstorm attack, but he ate almost the entire shooting of all 3 Riptides shooting twice! The shear volume of firepower and good saves on my part really took the wind out of my opponent's sails. And I wasn't even using the 3+ cover save from his building like I should have been.

Stormsurges are gone, now the grind begins...After that he slowly whittled down one of my Iontides so I retreated it back to deny the Kill Point. My other two Riptides advanced, killing one of his Riptides and wounding another. I wiped out the Commander and Firewarrior teams (exchanging my Culexus and a Crisis suit) which left it to just the Riptides. He had greater volume of fire, but I had AP2 weapons. The big disparity was that he had Stim injectors while I did not.

I advanced my Riptides up close, thinking I had the game in the bag so I could afford to be brash and possibly destroy his "base" in close combat next turn. He charged me instead and I lost one of my Riptides to an insanely accurate set of close combat attacks (he hit and wounded me 3 times with 4 attacks and I failed all my invulnerable saves).
We rolled for game end and it was over.

2v2 going into the final turn

I had killed his Warlord, got 4 extra VP from his Stormsurges, and got First Blood. Neither of us had killed a building but he got Last Blood.
The game was closer than I thought it would be, ending 18 to 12. Enclaves win out against the Empire!

It was a bloody grudge match between very similar lists. However, getting first turn and packing a bit more AP2 in my list made a big difference. He also left my marker drones alone which allowed me to ignore his superior cover.
Wow was it brutal though. His Stormsurges never moved so I was fortunate to have killed one of them before he started shooting me twice each turn. I think that I correctly gauged the biggest threats and was lucky enough with the dice to neutralize them when I needed to. However, had he fired first I doubt I could have turned it around.
I played too aggressively in the end, and I was stupid to keep forgetting about his "base" which I think I could have killed for another 3 points if I'd only remembered it was there.

Lessons Learned
-Games between Stormsurges/Tau heavily favor whoever goes first (just like Apocalypse. Imagine that...)
-Riptides have 36" heavy burst cannon range. I thought I'd put myself out of range only to learn our guns have an extra 12" on them!
-Don't risk the little guys. In a game like this, the smaller units had almost no impact so I probably should have just kept them back and stayed alive.
-Stims are nice. His Riptides were very very tough. I thought I would clear them out much quicker but instead he was whittling me down. I misjudged them and next time I'll be more wary.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Final Thoughts

Post#5 » Jun 09 2016 12:41

Final Thoughts

My Winnings:
Pretty excited about it, even if I did make it myself. I make these for all of our tournaments as prizes.

I was the only undefeated player, winning the entire tournament. I felt a little dirty using a Lord of War, but the top 4 lists all had Lord of War in them and the 5th place basically had Superheavy Vehicles (unstoppable land raiders!). So it is just the game we play now.

The Tau Empire player got 3rd place since he had fewer Kill Points than the player running the Baronial Court+Riptide Wing. That meant that the top 3 lists all had a Riptide Wing in them. Plus, each of the top 3 lists included some form of Forgeworld, though the other Tau player only had Tetras.

So the moral of our tournament's story is: Bring Lord of War and Riptide Wings! or you could say you should be prepared to kill those things if you want to win.

I'm happy with the list and I think that I'll grow to like it more as I improve the modelling on my bigger models and learn the ins-and-outs. The Stormsurge and my latest Riptide have a long ways to go and I made a lot of newbie mistakes with my Stormsurge and Riptide Wing since I'd never used either before.

I think that of all the tweaks, I am mostly considering exchanging the Talisman of Arthas Moloch for a regular Shield Generator. I'll wait and see how it does if I face some actual psykers. I am the most worried about facing the psychic ability that takes control of your Stormsurge for a shooting phase.
The Culexus didn't do hardly anything this tournament, but I suspect he was still a worthy investment.
I am considering dropping the Y'vahra for another Riptide and using the extra points to either get some more Stim Injectors or get some more Heatwave Monats. However, I want to see how he does next time around. He had a decent game against the Orks and would have had a good game against the Iron Hands if I'd played him better.

Thanks for reading! I'm sorry they aren't full turn-by-turn batreps but I just don't have the time to spare these days.

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Re: [Batrep] 1850 Local Tournament

Post#6 » Jun 10 2016 02:01

Very cool Batrep, interesting list. It seems like the Y'vahra worked out quite well.

I would have personally gone with the Driver Cannon on the Stormsurge and had him deploy anchors turn 1 and just lob double shots down field the rest of the game. 1 SS is fragile and easily killed through focus fire.

I enjoyed the post-game thoughts you put down, I think it really helps other people learn the little things that you can't learn without playing the army.

The Shrike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: [Batrep] 1850 Local Tournament

Post#7 » Aug 28 2016 09:47

Thanks for the Batreps! Quick question, as I'm just returning to the game; was your list illegal? I thought FSE signature systems were 0-1 as opposed to the "one each" of TE. Perhaps this was FAQ'd?

Return to “Battle Reports”