Battles of the A'kish Research Defense Initiative

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Battles of the A'kish Research Defense Initiative

Post#1 » Jul 15 2016 10:40

Last night I had my first battle at 1000 points. My opponent was Eldar, and I had a list that I just threw together to try and include all of the models I have. I ended up subbing some to reach the points agreed, but I have lots of random models so that wasn't a problem.
My opponent was quite a new player, so we just decided to play a game of kill points with Hammer and Anvil deployment. I threw some terrain on the table, and we started preparing for battle!
^I deployed my Pathfinders and Fire Warriors, and he deployed all of his army which consisted of two Wave Serpents filled with Storm Guardians, three War Walkers in a unit, a unit of Striking Scorpions(they infiltrated the building right in front of my pathfinders), a unit of Rangers, a unit of Shining Spears and finally a minimal unit of Dire Avengers lead by a Warlock. His army wasn't great, but he bought all his models second hand, and fielded all of them as WYSIWYG. Below is an image of my reserves, which was (as you can see) a Mark'o and some marker drones(they weren't all WYSIWYG), and then my Command squad which consists of a Raven Commander supporting four Crisis. Please don't try and talk me out of how I've equipped my Crisis suits, I've heard it way too many times, and I won't heed your advice. I even got lectured by two different people last night, and kindly ignored their "professional" advice. I don't play to be pro, I play to have fun, and I enjoy what I have there :)
He had the first turn, and promptly rushed his Scorpions out of the covering building ready to charge my fearful Pathfinders. He moved all of his transports, bikes and war walkers up, then proceeded to open up with his rangers. Killed one Fire Warrior in the left squad, then declared a charge against my Pathfinders. I unloaded with two Rail Rifles, a bunch of Pulse Carbines, and a whole lot of Pulse Rifles from the supporting Fire Warriors. I only reduced the Striking Scorpions to half however, which allowed them to meet my Pathfinders, and show them their demise. My turn starts, I moved my Fire Warriors a little bit and released plasma hail on his Rangers and Striking Scorpions. Killed one Ranger and wasted the Scorpions, then prepared myself for what was to come.
He fish-hooked his Shining Spears around the building, then speedily ran up and prepared another charge. He snailed his Transports up in hopes of shooting, then fired at my stragglers again. His charge was successful, but my Warriors didn't run away, so the combat remained.

I rolled reserves for my Marker squad and my Command squad. Command squad succeeded, however the Marker squad failed, so they waited a bit longer. Dropped in my Command squad right behind his War Walkers and turned them into piles of War Rubble, then prepared for another turn of dead Fire Warriors.

The Shining Spears succeeded in their murderous efforts, then moved up to shoot at and charge my last squad of Fire Warriors, hiding in a crater. They survived shooting from two Wave Serpents, a unit of Rangers AND the Shining Spears but then died to the charge.

My Marker squad finally came down and lit up his Dire Avengers and Warlock. They survived, but only to run in fear. He turned around and began to turn drones into over-engineered trash lids. Six Drones survived, and I lit up one of his Wave Serpents, and turned it into a wreck (no explosion this time :( ).

After finishing my turn, I conceded because the night was very quickly getting late. We didn't really declare a victor, but hands were shaken and fun was certainly had (my job done well!) Looking back at it, He killed three of my units, granting him three kill points, and also gained First Blood and Linebreaker(if we counted my last turn as THE last turn). I demolished his Striking Scorpions and his War Walkers, giving my two kill points, so he would have been the winner. Either way, I had fun, and I look forward to getting my Riptide model completed so I can properly have 1000pts worth of models with no substitution needed :).
The days of goodly English is went

Illuria
Shas'Saal

Re: Battles of the A'kish Research Defense Initiative

Post#2 » Jul 16 2016 03:54

Fantastically painted models there and it sounds like a fun game! I'm very jealous of the fact you have so many of the Cyclic Ion Blaster bits, I've only got a single one from my Commander box!

Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 16 2016 11:52

Thanks for the compliments :) And as for the Cyclic Ion Blasters, I shopped around for them. I had to have them for WYSIWYG, no substitute would do! And I'm super satisfied that I made the effort :)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#4 » Jul 17 2016 12:20

Plasma/ion isn't a bad loadout though. True you lose half of the range on your str 7 compared to a missile pod (I usually do plasma/missile) but you have more shots and a way cooler looking gun for your trade.

The army is coming along nicely, and wouldn't you know, my next game is against Eldar too, and a new player as well. Hopefully I'll fair a little better ;)

Question for you;
You run two separate commanders then? One to be Mark'O and one to be a Crisis team leader? How well does that work out? It seems to me like a waste of points, but I could be wrong.

Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 17 2016 12:28

Agentarrow wrote:Plasma/ion isn't a bad loadout though. True you lose half of the range on your str 7 compared to a missile pod (I usually do plasma/missile) but you have more shots and a way cooler looking gun for your trade.

The army is coming along nicely, and wouldn't you know, my next game is against Eldar too, and a new player as well. Hopefully I'll fair a little better ;)

I praise your agreement with my Plasma/Ion decision. I LOVE the way GW has gone with the Ion weapons, and I don't care that they aren't the without a doubt absolute best weapons in the meta. They're great, effective, and if used right, can cause some fantastic devastation!

Hopefully your game reaches turns 5 or even 6 :D

Return to “Battle Reports”