Battles of the A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Battles of the A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post#1 » Jul 15 2016 10:40

Last night I had my first battle at 1000 points. My opponent was Eldar, and I had a list that I just threw together to try and include all of the models I have. I ended up subbing some to reach the points agreed, but I have lots of random models so that wasn't a problem.
My opponent was quite a new player, so we just decided to play a game of kill points with Hammer and Anvil deployment. I threw some terrain on the table, and we started preparing for battle!
^I deployed my Pathfinders and Fire Warriors, and he deployed all of his army which consisted of two Wave Serpents filled with Storm Guardians, three War Walkers in a unit, a unit of Striking Scorpions(they infiltrated the building right in front of my pathfinders), a unit of Rangers, a unit of Shining Spears and finally a minimal unit of Dire Avengers lead by a Warlock. His army wasn't great, but he bought all his models second hand, and fielded all of them as WYSIWYG. Below is an image of my reserves, which was (as you can see) a Mark'o and some marker drones(they weren't all WYSIWYG), and then my Command squad which consists of a Raven Commander supporting four Crisis. Please don't try and talk me out of how I've equipped my Crisis suits, I've heard it way too many times, and I won't heed your advice. I even got lectured by two different people last night, and kindly ignored their "professional" advice. I don't play to be pro, I play to have fun, and I enjoy what I have there :)
He had the first turn, and promptly rushed his Scorpions out of the covering building ready to charge my fearful Pathfinders. He moved all of his transports, bikes and war walkers up, then proceeded to open up with his rangers. Killed one Fire Warrior in the left squad, then declared a charge against my Pathfinders. I unloaded with two Rail Rifles, a bunch of Pulse Carbines, and a whole lot of Pulse Rifles from the supporting Fire Warriors. I only reduced the Striking Scorpions to half however, which allowed them to meet my Pathfinders, and show them their demise. My turn starts, I moved my Fire Warriors a little bit and released plasma hail on his Rangers and Striking Scorpions. Killed one Ranger and wasted the Scorpions, then prepared myself for what was to come.
He fish-hooked his Shining Spears around the building, then speedily ran up and prepared another charge. He snailed his Transports up in hopes of shooting, then fired at my stragglers again. His charge was successful, but my Warriors didn't run away, so the combat remained.

I rolled reserves for my Marker squad and my Command squad. Command squad succeeded, however the Marker squad failed, so they waited a bit longer. Dropped in my Command squad right behind his War Walkers and turned them into piles of War Rubble, then prepared for another turn of dead Fire Warriors.

The Shining Spears succeeded in their murderous efforts, then moved up to shoot at and charge my last squad of Fire Warriors, hiding in a crater. They survived shooting from two Wave Serpents, a unit of Rangers AND the Shining Spears but then died to the charge.

My Marker squad finally came down and lit up his Dire Avengers and Warlock. They survived, but only to run in fear. He turned around and began to turn drones into over-engineered trash lids. Six Drones survived, and I lit up one of his Wave Serpents, and turned it into a wreck (no explosion this time :( ).

After finishing my turn, I conceded because the night was very quickly getting late. We didn't really declare a victor, but hands were shaken and fun was certainly had (my job done well!) Looking back at it, He killed three of my units, granting him three kill points, and also gained First Blood and Linebreaker(if we counted my last turn as THE last turn). I demolished his Striking Scorpions and his War Walkers, giving my two kill points, so he would have been the winner. Either way, I had fun, and I look forward to getting my Riptide model completed so I can properly have 1000pts worth of models with no substitution needed :).
Last edited by Bloodknife92 on Jun 24 2017 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
The days of goodly English is went

Illuria
Shas'Saal

Re: Battles of the A'kish Research Defense Initiative

Post#2 » Jul 16 2016 03:54

Fantastically painted models there and it sounds like a fun game! I'm very jealous of the fact you have so many of the Cyclic Ion Blaster bits, I've only got a single one from my Commander box!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 16 2016 11:52

Thanks for the compliments :) And as for the Cyclic Ion Blasters, I shopped around for them. I had to have them for WYSIWYG, no substitute would do! And I'm super satisfied that I made the effort :)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#4 » Jul 17 2016 12:20

Plasma/ion isn't a bad loadout though. True you lose half of the range on your str 7 compared to a missile pod (I usually do plasma/missile) but you have more shots and a way cooler looking gun for your trade.

The army is coming along nicely, and wouldn't you know, my next game is against Eldar too, and a new player as well. Hopefully I'll fair a little better ;)

Question for you;
You run two separate commanders then? One to be Mark'O and one to be a Crisis team leader? How well does that work out? It seems to me like a waste of points, but I could be wrong.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 17 2016 12:28

Agentarrow wrote:Plasma/ion isn't a bad loadout though. True you lose half of the range on your str 7 compared to a missile pod (I usually do plasma/missile) but you have more shots and a way cooler looking gun for your trade.

The army is coming along nicely, and wouldn't you know, my next game is against Eldar too, and a new player as well. Hopefully I'll fair a little better ;)

I praise your agreement with my Plasma/Ion decision. I LOVE the way GW has gone with the Ion weapons, and I don't care that they aren't the without a doubt absolute best weapons in the meta. They're great, effective, and if used right, can cause some fantastic devastation!

Hopefully your game reaches turns 5 or even 6 :D

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Battles of the A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post#6 » Jun 24 2017 08:07

I got to play my first game with the new ruleset this weekend. It was a load of fun, but I forgot to take any pictures, so I'll do my best to discribe the battle and my experiences with the new rules.

We played 1000 points on a 4' by 4' board and our mission was Blitz from the 6 available narrative missions. We rolled randomly from the narrative missions because they look like loads of fun, instead of just objective holding. The mission made for a super fun experience, even if I got veaten by a long shot.

My army consisted of:

1 Cadre Fireblade
1 Ethereal
10 Fire Warriors with 1 Markerlight and a Missile Turret(I forgot to use the turret all game, because I haven't finished paintjng and assembling my actual turret, so I didn't have it ready)
10 Fire Warriors with a Markerlight
10 Pathfinders with a Pulse Drone and a Repulsor Drone
3 Crisis sporting 2 Ion, 2 Plasma and 2 Fusion, with 6 Gun Drones
3 Crisis sporting the same configuration, with 6 Gun Drones

He had:

1 Rune Priest in Terminator Armour
10 Blood Claws
10 Grey Hunters
5 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour
10 Sky Claws
5 Scout Snipers
5 Long Fangs with; 1 H-Bolter, 2 Missile Launchers, 1 Plasma Cannon and the leader had a Storm Bolter

He was the attacker, and I was defendibg. I setup discretely as per the mission rules, but I foolishly split up all my infantry. My Crisis teams stayed in a Manta Hold. He setup his Lobg Fangs and Snipers on the two hilltops in his deployment area, and setup all kf his models except his 6 Terminators.

He went first as per the mission rules, and fired the Preliminary Bombardment to no avail. His first turn resulted in 1 Fire Warrior unit getting half taken out, and the other Fire Warrior unit getting charged by the Sky Claws with their fantastic 12"movement+charge roll. He bought his terminators down on the first turn but they failed a charge(if I recall correctly).

My first turn I bought down my Crisis teams and reduced his terminators down to 2, and pulled back my Ethereal, and my Fireblade and charged Fire Warriors. My Pathfinder Drones also broke off and started moving toward my Fire Warriors(with the Fireblade).

He then charged the same Fire Warrior team again, charged with his terminators and failed a charge with his Blood Claws. His terminators did very little but his Sky Claws ruined all my Fire Warriors. Luckily wounds don't carry over from units to characters, so my Fireblade survived. My half strength unit of Fire Warriors were finished off too.

On my second turn, my Fireblade met up with one unit of 6 drones, also accompanied by my Pathfinder drones. My Crisis, with the support of my Ethereal(Yes! He buffs suits too!) ruined his Terminators and put 3 wounds on his Rune Priest. My Drones with the Fireblade annihilated his Sky Claws.

On his third turn, his Terminators and Sky Claws came back onto the board as per the Sustained Assault mission rule, and he wiped out all 10 of my Pathfinders.

On my Third turn, I shot up his Blood Claws thdn charged them with one unit of Crisis. One survived.

By his turn four, he had to leave for family engagements. We agreed that he won.

Observations: I really should have put all my Fire Warriors close together alongside my Pathfinders so that they could all benefit from the Ethereal, Fireblade and Pulse Accelerator Drone. The Saviour Protocols were amazing. One unit of 6 Drones were destroyed protectibg a trio of Crisis. I only lost one suit in the whole game, and thats only because I had to apply wounds to already wounded models in the shooting phase. My Pathfinders hit with 3 Markerlights on my first turn, and 6 on my second, so I definitely think 10man units of Markers will remain a core choice for me. I also got to use a strategem that increased my cover bonus by 1 for all units until they move, which really saved some Fire Warriors!

All in all, even though we played a Matched game kn a Narrative mission, it was super fun! I was new to 8th, and my opponent was relatively new to 40k, but we both picked it all up super fast, especially the wounding rolls on his part. I already fluently knew the old wounding system, so it wasn't hard for me, but the increased survivability of units as per the new wounding table was super effective for my models. 8th edition rocks, even when losing.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 29 2017 05:42

I played a 1500 point battle today, and it definitely didn't go well. My opponent had Tyranids and Genestealer Cults, and his entire strategy was built around reducing my ability to hit him. He didn't prepare his army specially for me, but he had no idea he'd do so well against me. His force pretty much auto-countered mine, and on top of that, he rolled exceptionally all game, and I rolled abysmally.

I tried for so long to defend the Riptide and Crisis of all "overcosted" allegations, but after playing against an enemy whose numbers seemed to tripple or even quadruple mine with units equally or more effective than mine, I've given up defending these models. My opponent had some 5 characters, 16 Genestealers(cults, not nids) and near 50 Termagants among other units(3 Warriors, 3 Hive Guard, 1 Mawloc), against my 20 Fire Warriors, 10 Pathfinders, 6 Crisis with 12 Gun Drones, an Ethereal, a Fireblade, a lone Commander and a Riptide. He got the first turn, completely locked up or made invalid my whole army, and proceeded to walk all over me while apologising for such a crushing victory.

As a result of this, I'm going to refrain from posting in any tactic discussions here, as I'm afraid my wounds will influence my responses, but I will say this: from what I experienced today, I think its safe to say that Tyranids(and Cults for that matter) are a direct counter to T'au, and also that I can't wait for our new Codex even more. I expected to lose, but not that badly.....

I'm hurt, but I'm not giving up!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 29 2017 05:46

Even more reasons to build my Crisis with Flamer and Shield Drone bodyguards. :D

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 30 2017 03:01

Panzer wrote:Even more reasons to build my Crisis with Flamer and Shield Drone bodyguards. :D

I still didn't used flamers for my crisis and planning to play against Nids. What's the thoughts here? 3 Flamers or 2 Flamers and ATS?

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jul 30 2017 03:40

you won't get much benefit from the ATS. Nowhere near as much as you would the extra shots. That's my opinion though.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 30 2017 05:21

Honestly, numbers tell us that 3 Flamer are better than 2+ATS against anything without a 2+ save...but I dislike how 3 weapons look on Crisis and am not a super competetive player anyway so I will probably most of the time go with 2+ATS or 2+Shield Gen or such.

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jul 30 2017 05:24

Yeah, makes sense. I was wondering why no one here talks about Airbursting FP. Just one point more then flames, deal the same amount of damage, but gives 10" more range and shooting even if not visible. It seems a really big deal to use ruins and terrain to hide and shoot.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 30 2017 05:47

Studioworks wrote:Yeah, makes sense. I was wondering why no one here talks about Airbursting FP. Just one point more then flames, deal the same amount of damage, but gives 10" more range and shooting even if not visible. It seems a really big deal to use ruins and terrain to hide and shoot.

Same reason we didn't in 7th. Because the AFP sucks big time. And also has a silly name. :D

It's 1d6 attacks, not 1d6 hits. So you have to roll to-hit still. Which makes it already having less S4 hits on average than a flamer by default. It also means it gets affected by to-hit modifier as advancing with Assault weapons, Psychic Powers, Raven Guard Chapter Tactic, Night Lord Stratagem, Drukhari shenanigans, Stealth Suits and so on.
So the only advantage it would have is 18"...for an average of 1.75 S4 hits on regular Crisis Suits *yawn*.
Oh right and you can shoot at units you can't see...which should rarely be a problem though.
In comparision at 18" a Burst Cannon has an average of 2 S5 hits for the same points and a CIB (which is generally the better choice over a BC) for 8p more has an average of 1.5 S7 AP-1 hits which you could even overcharge for an average of 1 S8 and D1d3 hit.

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jul 30 2017 06:04

Ah. :-( I forgot a little thingy such as automatically hits target. Sorry.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Jul 31 2017 12:05

Panzer wrote:It's 1d6 attacks, not 1d6 hits. So you have to roll to-hit still. Which makes it already having less S4 hits on average than a flamer by default. It also means it gets affected by to-hit modifier as advancing with Assault weapons, Psychic Powers, Raven Guard Chapter Tactic, Night Lord Stratagem, Drukhari shenanigans, Stealth Suits and so on.
So the only advantage it would have is 18"...for an average of 1.75 S4 hits on regular Crisis Suits *yawn*.
Oh right and you can shoot at units you can't see...which should rarely be a problem though.
In comparision at 18" a Burst Cannon has an average of 2 S5 hits for the same points and a CIB (which is generally the better choice over a BC) for 8p more has an average of 1.5 S7 AP-1 hits which you could even overcharge for an average of 1 S8 and D1d3 hit.

The AFP is almost comically hopeless. I feel like they must have forgotten something when they wrote it.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jul 31 2017 12:54

Arka0415 wrote:The AFP is almost comically hopeless. I feel like they must have forgotten something when they wrote it.

I feel like it's a running gag by now. It has always been so obviously underpowered/overpriced in any variant that calling it an oversight would be a stretch. Maybe they thought the name is so silly it doesn't deserve to be a good weapon. :D

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Aug 18 2017 08:59

Necrons were the opponent last night, and they were an interesting development.....

My friend and neighbour(who is an absolute new person and isn't very good at learning things, since he wastes so much time playing online video games and not working on his models nor reading his rules) and I had a game last night. We didn't really choose points or anything, we just estimated our armies were balanced based on what we used to use in 7th edition. We didn't choose a deployment, we just went with Dawn of War, and we didn't choose a mission, we just throw two armies at one another.

He played his Necrons, and I played my T'au(surprise surprise!). He had two Ghost Arks with 10 Warriors in each, a Destroyer Lord that he really doesn't know how to use :P, 6 Wraiths in a single unit and a Doomsday Ark. I had 20 Fire Warriors, 10 Pathfinders, 3 Railsides, 3 Fusion Crisis with 6 Drones, 3 Missile Crisis with 6 Drones, a Commander, a Fireblade and an Ethereal. I assumed I had more points than him by a lot but I didn't bring it up in discussion because he really wouldn't have cared anyway, and we just wanted to play.

What I got from playing against Necrons:
Quantam Shielding can go die in a fire. The only time I rolled any 6s was to damage his vehicles, and Quantam shielding negates damage on a D6 roll of less than the Damage roll, so what WOULD have turned Imperial Knights to piles of molten steel got absorbed and completely ignored. That was depressing. I really feel like it should be negated on a D6 roll of equal or higher, making it harder to stop higher damage, but no, its the complete opposite......
Reanimation Protocols on multi-wound models with 3+ invulnerable saves are infuriating. Not only could I hardly damage the Wraiths, but when I finally killed one, they just got back up with all their wounds again.....
The Doomsday Ark is depressing now. It used to be able to fire a Large Blast, but now its only D3 shots, so even my Commander lasted 2 rounds of its devastating firepower.

I still got obliterated because: T'au can't shoot to save their lives, I rolled depressingly(as I have for every 8th ed game I've played) and all of my best rolls were negated completely. The next time I play with him, We're going to stick to every single rule, build proper armies and I'm going to come down hard on his lazy posterior about actually learning his rules.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Sep 18 2017 07:49

Detailed image heavy battle report incoming!

This past Friday, I played against a new opponent at my local gaming club(not the one I have to travel for). He posted on facebook, a friend of mine tagged me in a comment, and I noticed he wasn't one of the regular elitist players, so I issued a challenge. It turned out, after meeting up with him and chatting with him, that I was about to parttake in his very first battle in Warhammer 40k! I was super excited and wanted to give him the best intro to 40k that I could. The agreed points value was 1500, I was T'au (Duh!) and he was Orks, a completely new enemy for me.

If I can dig through my memory well enough, he had two Big Meks, a Warboss, Boss Zagstruk, Mad Dok Grotsnik, a unit of thirty Boyz(yes! He actually did it!), ten Shoota Boyz with a Big Shoota, ten Gretchin with a Runtherd, a unit of five Nobz mounted in a Trukk alongside a unit of five Ammo Runts, a unit of five Stormboyz, three Deffkotpas, and three Warbikers.

I took a Cadre Fireblade, Ethereal, four units of five Strike configuration Fire Warriors (one of which had a Missile turret), two units of five pathfinders, a Commander with three missile pods and ATS, an Ion Riptide, a unit of Missile Crisis, and a unit of Plasma/Ion Crisis, both of which teams were accompanied by five Gun Drones.

Our mission was the Retrieval mission from the Eternal War list, and we rolled the Hammer and Anvil deployment.
My Riptide had a very nice vantage point, and it proved very advantageous throughout the battle.
In this blob is: thirty Boyz, a Big Mek(not wysiwyg), ten Gretchin and a Runtherd, and ten Shoota Boyz!
He chose to go first and I failed to seize the first turn. He started by moving his Stormboyz and Boss Zagstruk toward my more forward deployed unit of Crisis and drones. Everything else had had moved forward, and very little else was done. He also bought in his Deffkoptas on the right flank behind my line to try and hit me from two fronts. Very little damage was caused, much to my opponent's disappointment.
An alright painted Boss Zagstruk, which my opponent bought second hand along with most of his army. He's started painting over some of the less acceptable models as well as painting up models he's prepared himself. His paint works can be identified by the cracked earth bases.
After my first shooting phase, he had lost two of his three Warbikerz and all of his Stormboyz short Boss Zagstruk. I also destroyed two of his three Deffkoptas and reduced the last one to three wounds.
He promptly moved his last Warbiker, his Trukk and Boss Zagstruk forward to cause some trouble for my rather dangerous Crisis team.
His last remaining Deffkopta performed a bombing run over some of my models, and killed one single Pathfinder.
Shooting from all of the models inside his Trukk, with their Kombi-Skorchas, as well as Zagstruk and the last Warbiker, took out all the Drones I had and caused some damage to a suit but they stayed standing for the ensuing assault!
After charging toward my unit of Crisis with a Trukk, Zagstruk and a Warbiker, I fell back and put many missiles and even my Riptide's Ion Accelerator into his Trukk, reducing it to a pile of scrap, forcing his Nobz, Ammo Runts and Mad Dok Grotsnik(Ammo Nobz for two models, he was short on Runts) and his Big Mek to dismount. No one suffered a mortal wound, but I did proceed to pound his Ammo Runts and Nobz with almost 50 shots from Pulse Rifles.
Zagstruk, Grotsnik, his Big Mek and his last two remaining Nobz were eyeing off an easy kill while his Warbiker, absorbing MANY shots from the T'au, decided to get heroic and prepare for the frontline charge.
The Warbiker was fueled by blood and thirsty for more! But the T'au Commander would have none of it.
The footslogging Boyz were taking casualties with every step they took, but with the protection of a Big Mek and a Warboss, and covering fire from a Big Shoota behind them, they continued forward, into the breach!
The Orkz eyed the prize. Killing a Riptide would surely earn them the power they craved so much in their Klan!
The bloodthirsty beasts Zagstruk, Grotsnik, the Big Mek and the Nobz closed in for the kill. The Crisis didn't stand a chance.
Fear coursed through the numbers of Orkz, but they didn't stop for anything. They attempted a charge at the Riptide, but were unable to join it on the top floor.
The Orkz on the right flank took my objective, stealing my possible victory away from me.
This is easily my favourite image. To me this screams "German machine gunner in a french building window". As a great fan of WWII and its conflicts, this gave me a good shot of dopamine.
His Boyz charged my left team of Pathfinders, and his stragglers charged from the other side. To their dismay, however, a rather powerful firebase of Fire Warriors stood between them. The Pathfinders died on both sides, and the Boyz consolidated toward my Fire Warriors. I pulled back the ones he consolidated toward, and annihilated the Boyz, leaving only the Big Mek and the Warboss. On the other side, I finally wiped out the Nobz.

Following his turn 4, we decided to end the battle as it was getting late in the night and we both had families to get home to. He won the battle as he held two objectives at the end and I had one and the First Blood victory condition. This was possibly the best battle of Warhammer 40k I'd ever had, and for my opponent it was an epic introduction to the game. He'd watched lots of battle reports and had the Battlescribe app, so he was ready, he just hadn't had the opportunity to finally play until that night. I was super glad to give him such a great introduction to the game, and that battle also helped me fight my painter's block!

Return to “Battle Reports”