Falsegod's Battle Reports

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Falsegods
Shas'Saal

Falsegod's Battle Reports

Post#1 » Oct 20 2016 07:24

Greeting and Welcome,

This is where I will be posting Battle Reports for my Tau Cadre. I will try and keep things organized, but no promises sorry. Questions and comments are welcome. Enjoy.

-FG
--Records--
Overall: 13-5
Organized Competitive Play: 3-0
Casual (>1,000pts): 8-5
Casual (<1,000pts): 2-0

Titles: 1 (Oct 2016 Highlander)
Last edited by Falsegods on Mar 20 2017 03:49, edited 4 times in total.

Falsegods
Shas'Saal

Re: Falsegod's Battle Reports

Post#2 » Oct 20 2016 07:25

Highlander Tournament 15 October 2016
List: 1250pt CAD

The tournament consisted of three rounds. The first two were random draws with the third being paired on points. Wins were worth five points, ties three, and loses one. Each round had a Primary Eternal War Mission, and a Secondary Maelstrom mission. First Strike (destroy an enemy unit during your first turn), Line Breaker, and Slay the Warlord, where tertiary/tie breaker points. All Eternal War objectives were worth two points for the tournament. Primary and secondary were recorded for tie breakers. Two points were also awarded for having your army full painted, which I did not get to my shame.

Game 1: versus Imperial Guard
Scenario: Primary: The Scouring | Secondary: Dead Lock

Opponent's list: Pask (Standard Russ), Punisher Russ, Infantry Platoon [Command Squad, three Infantry Squads, special weapon squad with meltas, two missiles and Heavy bolter team, Conscript blob with Commissar, and Vets in Chimera.]

Deployment was a variant designed by the TO which saw players alternating picking table corner sections, we ended up with a modified Hammer and Anvil setup. We each clustered in the corners, I declined to seize the initiative.

My opponent advanced, but stayed tightly clustered. His shooting managed to kill two Pathfinders with Pask, and they fled. In my turn The Pathfinders rallied, and altering my positioning only slightly, opened fire. The Riptide, with some help from my Commander's marker-lights, killed a dozen guardsmen with a pie plate, while the Broadside popped the Chimera. Jump moves got everyone would could back into cover.

Without transports my opponent's advance on my left stalled, but he continued foot-slog forward. On my right, he re-positioned to cover more objectives, but was unwilling to move aggressively with his armor, was unable to line up any decent shots. He took a pot shot at my Broadsides but it missed wide. This is where things fell off the rails for him. Even though my reserves failed to show up, I move my piranhas up to catch his vets in a cross fire with the broadsides, shooting them to pieces. More guardsmen died on my right, and the Riptide began to move aggressive to take objectives. Even though he only suffered moderate casualties I was firmly in control of two thirds of the board, and limiting him to two objectives.

Turn three saw him try and push forward. The Punisher finally got some shots in and killed three fire warriors, and Pask put a wound on the Riptide. But while his forces on my left moved forward they were unable to do more than kill a missile drone. My reserves failed to show up again, but what I had on the table were doing fine. Fire Warriors killed more Guardsmen on the right, while the piranhas and Boardsides mauled conscripts; only the Commissar kept them in the game. The Riptide missed Pask, but managed to assault move into cover on top of an objective.

In what was the final turn of the game (timing out) my opponent tried to control some objectives. His shooting finally dinged one piranha to death, but nothing-else. My Stealth Team finally showed up, but the crisis team decided I didn't need their help. The Stealth Team deep struck in his back field to shoot his command section off an objective. In shooting the Conscripts and the Commissar died, a Guard squad was shot off an objective and the Stealth Team killed three of the command squad who nevertheless stayed put. The last move of the game was the Stealth Team assault jumping to gain line breaker.

Results: Tau win [Primary: 8-2 | Secondary: 5-2 | Line Breaker and First Strike

Picture during deployment. My opponent set up his army on my right (left in picture) bubble-wrapped by the bulk of the infantry platoon. His vets, conscripts and weapon teams deployed on my left (right in picture). My Riptide, Commander, Pathfinder, and the Fireblade and his squad, were deployed opposite his armor, and spent most of the game dipping behind buildings. My the Broadsides supported by one fire warrior squad, and the piranhas held the builds oppose his Veterans.

Picture during my opponent's turn 2. The wrecked Chimera marks the furthest Imperial advance on my left. The veterans would die in the columns to the left in my turn, while Imperial infantry would limit the maneuvering options of their armor on my right.

Game 2: versus Ravenwing
Scenario: Primary: Big Guns Never Tire | Secondary: Contact Lost

Opponent's list: Librarian, Black Knights, Bikers, Assault Squad, ten man tactical in rhino, five man tactical in razorback, Devastators, Dark Talon Flyer

Deployment was unmodified Hammer and Anvil. My opponent won the roll off and deployed first. With most of his army was in reserves, he deployed his Devastators on a platform (hills), his rhino and tacticals centrally, and the razorback on the far side. I deployed centrally to maximize defensive fire against assaults.

My opponent started off by moving on to some objectives and firing at my Piranhas and Riptide with the razorback and Devastators respectively. But was foiled by cover saves. My return fire saw the destruction of the Devastators by the Riptide, and a hull point knocked off the Razor back. Otherwise I turtled against the coming assault.

Surprise, only his Black Knights arrived from reserves. Outflanking near my Fireblade and his squad, I elected to interceptor with the Riptide and Boardside, but to no avail thanks to the Black Knight's jink save. Gratifyingly his shooting was equally ineffective, managing only to glance a piranha. Then he assaulted my fire warrior, the mased over watch achieving none thing. However, he only killed three and the Fire Warriors held and he elected to not hit and run.

Both my reserves showed up, the Crisis suits dropped between the rhino and razor backs to try and crack both transports, while the Stealth Suits dropped closer to my lines to support my commander. The Riptide moved to try and support the Fire Warriors. Both transports were popped and a few marines were picked up. The Riptide failed to get into the melee and Fire Warriors meet and messy end.

Now it was opponent's turn to bring his reserves. The assault squad jumped in behind the Black Knights to try and clear out my flank, his flier zoomed in to target my piranhas, while his other bikes attempted swing in from the other flank to close the pincer. After failing last turn EWO paid off her; the assault marines were deleted by the Riptide, while the bike squad took three casualties from the Broadsides and promptly failed their leadership check. His back field infantry moved to surround the crisis team. Two crisis suits died but the survivor held, the piranhas squadron lost its wounded vehicle, and a broadside was killed by the plasma talons. In assault the Black Knights crashed into the Broadsides, losing one of their number to supporting fire (finally), but a fury of rending saw the death of the Broadsides.

With time running out, I moved to secure objectives. The Riptide powered up his shield and moved to assault the Black Knights, while the surviving piranha flat outed to get on an objective, while the pathfinders ran to do the same. In shooting the last crisis suit killed two marines to knock them off an objective, and the fleeing bikers died to the commander and Stealth Team. In combat the Riptide kicked two bikers two death and the Librarian couldn't get past the shield.

With three minutes left in the round, my opponent and I agreed that the game was over.

Results: Tau win [Primary: 6-2 | Secondary: 4-2 | Line Breaker and First Strike

The view during first turn (maybe deployment), the Dark Angel Devastators on off screen to the bottom left.

Game 3: versus Ironhands
Scenario: Primary: Purge the Alien | Secondary: Spoils of War

Opponent's list: Terminator Librarian with storm shield, Captain with thunder hammer, storm shield and jump back, five terminators, two ten man tactical squads with rhinos, ten assault marines, and five devastators.

Warlord traits were pretty important in this game, we both rolled off the strategic table. My opponent got the one which allowed him to infiltrate three units, and I got the one which gave me stealth and move thought cover in ruins. We each got the one we wanted. I deployed first, with the commander and broadsides behind a building on my left, with Fire Warriors and Pathfinders in the center, and Riptide, Piranhas, and the Fireblade squad on the right. Everyone was positioned to make the most of the ruins. My opponent deployed his devastators opposite my Broadsides, then two combat squads of tacticals with missiles in the center on the top floors of some ruins, and his assault marines and captain/warlord opposite the riptide. He then infiltrated his terminators, and two combat squads in rhinos slightly ahead of his lines, with one rhino and the terminators squaring up against the Riptide, and the other rhino shielding the devastators. My Pathfinders then scout up two floors to get a better vantage point.

After my opponent failed to seize the initiative, I maneuvered to deal with the pressing threats. Both firewarrior units moved into ruins while the Riptide lined up the terminators. With support from the pathfinder's marker lights, the Riptide overcharged his weapon and pie plated the Terminators. Six wounds turned into four dead terminators. The Piranhas an Fire Warriors combined to pop the rhino that was supporting the Terminators. On the left the Broadsides also got the rhino opposite, while his marines were able to weather the other fire. Then critically the surviving Terminator and Librarian failed their leadership test and fell back eight inches! Immediately regrouping, the Terminators moved forward, joined by the assault marines jumping out of cover. Marine fire power, destroyed a piranha and clipped the other one.

The crisis suits jumped in and landed on target eight inches from the assault marines, but the Stealth team mis-haped to my back left corner. The Riptide, even with the help of the pathfinders, missed the assault marines with the pie plate, but killed one tactical marine. The Crisis Suit, fire warriors killed six assault marines and did two wound on his warlord, while the Fireblade and his squad killed the last terminator. One further tactical marine was killed in the center by the commander, but the Broadsides failed to take out any Devastators. My crisis suits jumped back but failed to get into cover. My opponent split his warlord off from his squad to threaten my center, and the assault marines moved against my Fireblade. His Librarian squared up the Riptide and cast a de-buff on him. Marine shooting killed the Crisis team with missile fire. Then the assaults began. neither the Riptide nor the Fireblade were able to inflict wounds in over watch, but his warlord was brought down by supporting fire from the pathfinders. Also the survivors of the destroyed rhino charged the wounded piranha. The piranha died but the Tau held line elsewhere.

With one flank in serious trouble I realigned my Commander and Fire Warriors before opening fire. The devastators and a tactical squad were taken out. But the fire warriors were killed in combat in return, while the Riptide and Librarian continued their fight. My opponent moved his assault marines away to try and preserve them and hold objectives. His shooting was ineffective, and the Riptide held in combat.

A concentrated effort got my Stealth team onto an objective and in cover, and my commander and fire warriors in a position to destroy the assault marines. However, the Riptide broke in combat, but escaped. In a final bid to win my opponent concentrated on my central fire warriors causing them to flee, his Librarian then charged my Riptide which missed his overwatch and was destroyed.

With that the game ended. We had tied on the primary objective as we each had six kill points (Captain, Terminators, Devastators, two combat squads, and Assault Marines v. Fire Blade, two fire Warrior squads, Riptide, Crisis Team, and Piranhas), but I had fourteen maelstrom objectives to my opponent's seven. Additionally I had Slay the Warlord and First Strike to his Line Breaker.

Results: Tau win [Primary: 6-6 | Secondary: 14-7 | Slay the Warlord, and First Strike

Sorry about the paucity of photography, I was focused on playing well and didn't really stay on top of it the way I should have. I will try and do better in the future.

---

Overall I had a great time, all the players I faced against were great. The TO did a great job setting everything up. I was really pleased with myself, I didn't feel like I made any really bad mistakes. I got pretty lucky at two points in two different games when my opponent failed key leadership tests. But I overcame some poor dice of my own part. It was very fun experience, very affirming for someone who hadn't played an enjoyable competitive 40K game in a decade.

Falsegods
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 13 2017 10:50

So general update, but no full battle reports, my bad. I hope to have one for a game I plan to play this Friday, but we'll see. I have played four games since the last update; a one thousand points game against Imperial Guard, a 1250pt game against Space Marines, a 1500pt game against Dark Angel bikers, and a Tau v. Chaos ten thousand point, six player Apoc game. The first three games were victories, and the Apoc game ended in a narrow tie (17-17, eked out by a Warlord kill in our last turn). I don't have any photos for the first three game I have some photos from the Apoc game.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#4 » Feb 14 2017 02:50

Spent an hour reading all the new reports, again solid photos and really enjoyed great desert table; made for an engaging report all the more. :)

Falsegods
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 19 2017 12:32

I played two games this weekend. One 1850 against Grey Knights, and 1500 against Salamanders. I took photos for the Grey Knight game but didn't for the Salamander game, so I will report them in-reverse order.

I played my 1500 Hunter Cadre/OSC list, against a list that was two tactical squads in a Rhino, Dreadnaught and Sternguard with Grav in separate Dreadnaught, deepstriking Terminators and Librarian, a flier, five man assault squad, and five bikers. My opponent had first turn and I couldn't seize, and dropped his Sternguard aggressive close to my commander. This daring was rewarded by interceptor fire from the Riptide and Ghostkeel, which killed three and the drop-pod. The rest of this army advanced, trying to get to cover, and their fire was generally ineffective, except the grav weapons which killed two my commander's drone. My turn one saw some maneuvering and then the unleashing of Tau fire power. The Sternguard were finished off, three assault marines died, and the bikers were wiped out. Critically I only managed to glance one rhino one time.

My opponent's dreadnaught and Terminators both arrived, and drew interceptor fire. The Dreadnaught took it in the face and died, but only two Terminators died, with the Librarian tanking three wounds with his 4+ Inv. With in flier still off the table he advanced his rhinos into cover, and tried to move his assault marines to attack my fire warriors. Shooting was ineffective, but his Librarian murdered my Kroot with one spell, but took a wound from perils. His assault marines vaporized in overwatch. My turn saw my crisis suits continue their lunch break, but my remaining forces cleaned up the field. Both rhinos were popped and three marines died in total, and another Terminator died.

Still with out his flier, my opponent went balls to the wall. Moving in to position he prepared to assault will all three remaining units, casting force on his Librarian. Overwatch was poor, killing one terminator, and one regular marine. The broadsides died under a mass of attacks and the sergeant's power fist. The Ghostkeel got killed by the Librarian, but the Riptide survived his attack and won combat but didn't break the marines. My counter attack was week, I moved a squad on fire warrior to support the riptide (which would ultimately be a mistake), and positioned what I had left to target the terminators, and hold objectives. I killed the last terminator leaving the Librarian with one wound, but again without the Crisis suits I couldn't kill of the other marines. In combat two Fire Warriors died but they killed one Marine, and the Riptide killed two more win combat, but I didn't break them.

My opponent's flier finally came one and line up my commander, while his un-engaged squad moved to try and knock my steath team off the central objective, but failed. His flier killed the last two drones, and put a wound on my commander. His Librarian failed the four inch charge, and the Riptide and Firewarrior drew with the marine, with each side killing one model. In my turn the crisis team finally showed up, landed on target and promptly only killed two marines with nine AP 2/1 shots. The surviving stealth suits and the commander snap shot at the flier and inflicted a hull point but didn't knock it out of the sky. In melee the Riptide and Fire Warriors killed one marine but lost two of their own, and then broke and were run down.

Turn five saw his flier murder my crisis team, and his infantry ineffectually shoot at my scattered survivors. My turn saw the death of his Librarian and a few more tactical marines. My opponent rolled for turn six but the game ended. I won the game thirteen objective points to five, but it had been far closer in the end than I thought it would have been at the end of turn two.

----

1850 v Grey Knights
My army: Hunter Cadre (Commander with marker drones, Fireblade, crisis team, Riptide, Stealth Team, Kroot, two nine man strike teams with SMS, pathfinders, piranha, missile-sides, hammerhead), OSC (two stealth teams, Ghostkeel)

OPFOR: 2 Librarians, ten man Paladin squad, three five man terminator squads, Dreadknight

The battlefield

Despite the pictures, I recall the details of this game less, so this report will be more general. I took first turn, with night-fighting and laid into him with some shooting, killing four or five terminators/paladins with my shooting. He then cast in invisibility on his Paladin blob and gated them into my face, while his Dreadknight shunted into my back field. His shooting killed five Fire Warriors.

Crisis suits didn't come in, but combined fire killed the Dreadknight, with the Hammerhead lining up the killing blow. More terminators died on the flanks and despite the invisibility I killed on paladin. His turn saw a failed assault on my depleted fire warriors, me negating invisibility on paladins, which then multi-charged my fire warriors and commander. Overwatch killed four paladins (marker-lights meant the riptide overwatched at BS 3 :)), but the commander and Fire Warriors got murdered.

Hiyo! The Dreadknight pops into my backfield

Turn three, the crisis suits mis-haped back into ongoing reserves. I was able to destroy two squads on terminators leaving just the depleted paladins and two survivors camping an objective which my opponent at scored four times... I further depleted the paladins with a rail gun shot that potted the non-warlord Librarian in the face. In his turn he tried to hide his paladins after his warlord lost a wound to the wrap and failed to cast invisibility. He also did a hull point on my piranha.

Crisis suits arrived but scattered, most of my forces were not out of position, and moved back to line up shots. I reduce the paladins to the Warlord plus two, and the other terminator squad to one model. My opponent then killed my piranha and tried to gate his warlord out but failed and instead made himself invisible.

Turn five I killed the all the Paladins leaving his warlord with one wound, but failed to kill the lone terminator on the objective. My opponent did nothing except make his warlord invisible and score objects. At this point my opponent is winning, nine objects to five, despite having two models on the table. So he rolls for turn six, and the game goes on. In my turn six, finally having gotten my forces re-positioned I table him, and score eleven points in the process.

(Sorry for spelling and grammar, this already took longer than I expected and I have to go clean. :crafty: )

Falsegods
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Mar 02 2017 08:09

I played an 1850 point game last weekend against Khorne Daemon-kin. I didn't take photos, as it was late in the day, though my opponent did have some amazing Forgeworld models. The game was pretty straight forward, he ran at me I shot him. In the end he got me in melee, but not before I shot three greater daemons off the table (lord of change and two blood thirsters) and secured enough objective points to win the game.

Return to “Battle Reports”