Please link 8th edition video battle reports here

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Please link 8th edition video battle reports here

Post#19 » Jun 09 2017 02:02

Pyropower wrote:Apparently there is a Tau vs Nids batrep in the miniwargaming vault from today

Yeah just watching it. It's kinda painful.
The T'au player is the new guy who is just learning 40k and Matt has no clue about T'au and talks a lot of rubbish. They even played Drones as being part of the parent unit still.
And apparently they got the Ghostkeel stealth wrong as well. Playing it as a -3 modifier (-1 from each Stealth Drone) and even applying it in melee. :-?

They really need to get some experienced T'au player for their batreps.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#20 » Jun 09 2017 02:57

So, the same reason why people thought we were OP back in 6th/7th will be why people will think we are OK in 8th, batraps by people who don't know the rules?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jun 12 2017 02:06

Not a video batrep, but a written one with pictures.
TSons vs T'au from the view of the TSons player.
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/334612-quick-n-dirty-batrep-thousand-sons-vs-tau-pics/?p=4780474

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Jun 13 2017 09:18

Strawless
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Jun 13 2017 06:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZO1xD3lg8

Drukhari vs T'au from Tabletop Tactics!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Jun 13 2017 07:09

Panzer wrote:Not a video batrep, but a written one with pictures.
TSons vs T'au from the view of the TSons player.
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/334612-quick-n-dirty-batrep-thousand-sons-vs-tau-pics/?p=4780474

I quite like pictorial battle reports, although I would prefer more pictures and at least one full board picture for perspective, but I'll just use these wants to help me make my own pictorial battle reports :)
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Jun 13 2017 08:10

Strawless wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZO1xD3lg8

After watching this, I'm seriously worried. We have a DE player here and not only he's good, he loves spamming Venoms and Raiders/Ravagers. I guess the T'au list wasn't very good to fight that kind of enemy.
It was saddening to see Devilfishes just go away without that lovely Jink from 7th.

Strawless
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Jun 13 2017 09:35

Vector Strike wrote:

After watching this, I'm seriously worried. We have a DE player here and not only he's good, he loves spamming Venoms and Raiders/Ravagers. I guess the T'au list wasn't very good to fight that kind of enemy.
It was saddening to see Devilfishes just go away without that lovely Jink from 7th.

Yep, that's a nasty list! I wouldn't expect something like this in a friendly game to be honest. That's the Warhammer equivalent of netdecking is what that was.

Couple of thoughts on the matter:
*SPOILERS FOR THE VIDEO ABOVE*

- first turn shooting wise, the DE player lucked out on the Devilfish kills but the Ghostkeel proved very lucky as well. Vehicles have gotten durable but the ways to make them even more durable are very limited.
Once the codexes come out, I'm hoping we can expect vehicle special systems and with them, disruption pods.
- In the T'au first turn, all Markerlights missed bare one and that one wasn't even used by the player. This led to an uneventful first turn, especially since he also forgot to use CP to re-roll fusion shots. You can definitely expect this to be below average.
- In terms of actually dealing with this list if you see it coming: give all your suits Velocity Trackers for 2 points a pop to negate his hard-to-hitness. Bringing BS3+ or BS2+ markerlights also really helps.
- Other things I think are redundant in that list: SMS on Devilfish, 4 squads Breachers, Drones instead of Pathfinders, PBC vs PDC.
Last edited by Strawless on Jun 14 2017 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Jun 13 2017 11:19

Your spoiler isn't working.

Dut'ch
Shas

Post#28 » Jun 14 2017 01:01

Vector Strike wrote:

It definitely wasn't a very good list to oppose DE. I think taking that many Devilfish is a mistake as they're all juicy targets. There was minimal terrain on the board too (compared to what I'm used to anyway), which meant the DE player could get a lot of shots in first turn.
I didn't want the while video so he may have been saving them, but early on not using a command point to reroll his Stormsurge's main weapon damage of 1 on the flyer was a very bad move.

Strawless
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Jun 14 2017 12:26

Panzer wrote:Your spoiler isn't working.

So it doesn't.. Well, that's too bad.

jagonchen
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Jun 14 2017 08:18

Warhammer 40K Tau v Chaos - Sinclair Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzx8ixdKYgE&t=257s

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#31 » Jun 15 2017 09:31

Watched it. Full of despair, sadness and loss, very horrible Tau shootings. For shooting heavy faction, we're just only slightly better than Orkz now, with 4+ only and 8th ed inefficient ML mechanics and they have even more Dakka now in 8th.

Hopefully more batrep will come out with Tau on top though seems to be hard in 8th ed. The plus side, everyone wana play with Tau now seeing as playing vs Tau almost mean auto-win. Lol. We bring happiness to others indeed :)

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#32 » Jun 15 2017 10:02

azlanpower wrote:For shooting heavy faction, we're just only slightly better than Orkz now, with 4+ only and 8th ed inefficient ML mechanics and they have even more Dakka now in 8th.

I think the purpose of 8th Edition was to bring everyone back to some even ground, Tau in particular is a good example of this. While we still do not have a 'Deny the Witch' role, we do have the Ethereal who is a psuedo-pskyer with his movement phase buffs.

Also, while our shooting phase power has been brought down in power, I would propose that our Fight phase power has been buffed due to changes in rule (initiative is a big one).

Doing some math Markerlights have an interesting affect on BS: BS 4+ becomes a BS 3.5+ (statistically speaking it is halfway between 4 and 5). BS 3+ becomes BS 2.3+ (I think), and BS 2+ gets you a 97% chance to hit.

Of seeing batreps, reading this site, and doing some own theory crafting, I solidly believe that the Tau way of battle is not won in the shooting phase anymore, but mostly in the pre-game: Seeing what your opponent has and figure out his strategy, discussing terrain and which pieces block LOS for what models, deployment and figuring out if you can go first or not by keeping more units in 'reserve', moving units appropriately so you can get your opponent to shoot at what you want, not being afraid of an assault with your suits or units if you think you can kill the squad or at least win the battle.

Tau, I believe, have gone from a very 1-D approach to multi-dimensional. And, there will be no master-list unless you are playing a 3000+ point game where you can take everything. You as a player need to figure out 2 things if you desire to win: 1) What do you like to play with? Is it infantry, suits, more reliability, less reliability (D rolls), and 2) What is your local majority meta and what units beat what they play

Jorthax
Shas

Post#33 » Jun 16 2017 09:52

deployment and figuring out if you can go first or not by keeping more units in 'reserve'

Just wanted to pickup on this. Placing something in Manta counts as a deployment. Playing new 40K alongside 9 months of AOS now it's the same there. The future hope is that battalions allow for 'single' drops.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Jun 16 2017 12:49

Jorthax wrote:
deployment and figuring out if you can go first or not by keeping more units in 'reserve'

Just wanted to pickup on this. Placing something in Manta counts as a deployment. Playing new 40K alongside 9 months of AOS now it's the same there. The future hope is that battalions allow for 'single' drops.

No way! Dang... that ruins some of my pregame strategy

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#35 » Jun 16 2017 07:51

Another T'au vs Drukhari, but this time with a better list in our side. 1000p (the description says 1500, though), end-of-turn style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlaEI_M4zNI

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#36 » Jun 17 2017 03:28

Necrons vs Tau on Warhammer TV facebook live stream beginning right now.

The guy playing Tau is from Tabletop Tactics. I've watched both games he's played. He's very pessimistic about Tau on 8th and his summary is that the nerfbat has hit way too hard with no real justification to back this up. He's pointed out how markerlights look good on paper but getting to 5+ on the table is way too hard and how even getting there just evens out the field with other armies.

I'm really wondering what he'll try now, he said the last thing he wants to try before being convinced the Tau are close to unplayable is a crisis list.

On his first game he went with double Riptides and a Surgestorm and a very low model count against literally a million Tyranids.

On his second game he went with 4 devilfish, a stormsurge and some infantry against blitzkrieg Dark Eldar w/ air support.

Spoiler!
Game vs Tyranids ended 11-10 for the Tyranid player but in reality it was a massacre. On the game vs Dark Eldar :
Yes, it was a very bad list, he admitted it as well. Result was too horrible to discuss. That Dark Eldar list combined with their army rules is the closest thing to an instawin I've seen on 8th.

Edit : He's going Stormsurge + full infantry

Edit 2 : aaah, and a massive crisis drop, k, he really did field a crisis list

Return to “Battle Reports”