Please link 8th edition video battle reports here

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Please link 8th edition video battle reports here

Post#37 » Jun 17 2017 04:08

khayman wrote:Necrons vs Tau on Warhammer TV facebook live stream beginning right now.

The guy playing Tau is from Tabletop Tactics. I've watched both games he's played. He's very pessimistic about Tau on 8th and his summary is that the nerfbat has hit way too hard with no real justification to back this up. He's pointed out how markerlights look good on paper but getting to 5+ on the table is way too hard and how even getting there just evens out the field with other armies.

I'm really wondering what he'll try now, he said the last thing he wants to try before being convinced the Tau are close to unplayable is a crisis list.

On his first game he went with double Riptides and a Surgestorm and a very low model count against literally a million Tyranids.

On his second game he went with 4 devilfish, a stormsurge and some infantry against blitzkrieg Dark Eldar w/ air support.

Spoiler!
Game vs Tyranids ended 11-10 for the Tyranid player but in reality it was a massacre. On the game vs Dark Eldar :
Yes, it was a very bad list, he admitted it as well. Result was too horrible to discuss. That Dark Eldar list combined with their army rules is the closest thing to an instawin I've seen on 8th.

Edit : He's going Stormsurge + full infantry

Edit 2 : aaah, and a massive crisis drop, k, he really did field a crisis list

Most important of all: is he telling GW people about those points?

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#38 » Jun 17 2017 05:54

Vector Strike wrote:
khayman wrote:Necrons vs Tau on Warhammer TV facebook live stream beginning right now.

The guy playing Tau is from Tabletop Tactics. I've watched both games he's played. He's very pessimistic about Tau on 8th and his summary is that the nerfbat has hit way too hard with no real justification to back this up. He's pointed out how markerlights look good on paper but getting to 5+ on the table is way too hard and how even getting there just evens out the field with other armies.

I'm really wondering what he'll try now, he said the last thing he wants to try before being convinced the Tau are close to unplayable is a crisis list.

On his first game he went with double Riptides and a Surgestorm and a very low model count against literally a million Tyranids.

On his second game he went with 4 devilfish, a stormsurge and some infantry against blitzkrieg Dark Eldar w/ air support.

Spoiler!
Game vs Tyranids ended 11-10 for the Tyranid player but in reality it was a massacre. On the game vs Dark Eldar :
Yes, it was a very bad list, he admitted it as well. Result was too horrible to discuss. That Dark Eldar list combined with their army rules is the closest thing to an instawin I've seen on 8th.

Edit : He's going Stormsurge + full infantry

Edit 2 : aaah, and a massive crisis drop, k, he really did field a crisis list

Most important of all: is he telling GW people about those points?

He told them he'd shave his mustache off if he lost. Bye bye mustache. 3 games, 3 losses for the poor guy. Wasn't even close, and this was his most balanced list so far, plus the experience from the previous two games.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#39 » Jun 17 2017 07:33

It's so sad to see the Tau like this and the wider internet and community more or less fine with us being push overs instead of a fair and balanced fight.

Please I hope GW realises the Tau have some huge problems at the moment. It doesn't take hundreds of tests to figure that out when seeing a Tau win is common as a sandstorm in Canada.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#40 » Jun 17 2017 08:04

Was reading a Space Wolves oriented thread today and the Space Wolves player was complaining about how much more powerful Tau were than the Space Wolves in 8th.

I think the old "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" rule applies a lot right now. We see too.much of what is good in other armies and don't see what is good in ours.

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#41 » Jun 18 2017 02:25

That's true, the grass is always greener, etc. We could also refer to the analogy of the boy who cried wolf. This is all true.

I used to play World of Warcraft back in the day. At some point they launched an expansion that had some really ridiculous stuff in it, I won't bother mentioning them but we're talking about hillarious stuff, anyone who's a long time WoW player will probably know what I'm talking about.

Years later, one of their lead designers admitted that they had listened to people's complaints on balancing a bit too much, leading them to pretty much break the game and keep it broken by nerfing any class the people hated at a given time and buffing another class, ad infinitum. People would then hate the buffed class and the circle of nerdrage would start anew.

Effectively, he said that once you start trying to keep everyone happy, you've lost the game as you're not balancing based on data but, rather, based on the opinion of the ones who complain the loudest.

So, when they launched Starcraft 2, a far more competitive game with tournaments and e-sports super stars etc, they said they've decided to not make the same mistake again.

At launch, on faction had a super easy build that dominated the game. It really did. Literally everyone cried about how super easy that build is and how hard other factions need to work just to stay on par. Their stats showed how dominant that build was but still they the designers held their ground.

Eventually, people learned how to deal with it. Even I learned how to deal with it and once I did, I felt stupid for not having figured it out earlier.

Does that mean that build was fair or balanced? No, definitely not. What I think it did mean is that we tend to overreact and lose our minds, to the point that we stop thinking productively. Our disappointment leads to more losses and the losses feed our disappointment, sort of like a feedback loop. It's a self validating bias.

That doesn't mean the imbalance isn't there. It's there. We just need to get used to the fact that a game like Warhammer will never, ever, ever be balanced. This time around, it's Tau that suffer. Next time, it'll be someone else.

Best thing you can do to still have fun? Always have two factions. If playing a faction is no longer fun for you, switch to another one. I don't see why you would force yourself to suffer with something that should be distraction from everyday's drag.

Supershrew
Shas'Saal

Post#42 » Jun 18 2017 03:14

My experience so far is that tau are different to 7th and need a different list, but still pretty good. I have not seen a tau battle report featuring a list with lots of drones, firewarriors , fusion commanders , vespids and all the stuff that we have identified that has been buffed this edition. The one big complaint I have is that crisis suits are too expensive when compared to the commander , but otherwise I think that we have to remember that it was tau that started the Death Star arms race in the first place and unless tau were nerfed a bit they would reign supreme by just deleting units.I still think 60 firewarriors , a storm surge , drones and fusion commanders ( plus broadsides) will kick out a ton of firepower and be a pretty good list. I have now got 35 firewarriors painted and when I have the 60 I will test them out.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#43 » Jun 18 2017 05:22

khayman wrote:

Best thing you can do to still have fun? Always have two factions. If playing a faction is no longer fun for you, switch to another one. I don't see why you would force yourself to suffer with something that should be distraction from everyday's drag.

Well, I'm one unlucky bastard then, as my two armies are the ones who took the biggest hit. (as far as I can tell, maybe someone I found less interesting and didn't look much got a worse deal)

1ksons are playable, but they are a gun army, not magic army now. It's a good army, but not the army I bought.

FSE is just a joke right now. Crisis too expensive, ghostkeel and riptide outright absurdly so,and my hammers didn't get any better than they used to be (actually I think they are even worse)
The one infantry role I really liked (emp commandos) got erased.
At least stealthsuits got a decent deal.

Supershrew wrote:My experience so far is that tau are different to 7th and need a different list, but still pretty good. I have not seen a tau battle report featuring a list with lots of drones, firewarriors , fusion commanders , vespids and all the stuff that we have identified that has been buffed this edition. The one big complaint I have is that crisis suits are too expensive when compared to the commander , but otherwise I think that we have to remember that it was tau that started the Death Star arms race in the first place and unless tau were nerfed a bit they would reign supreme by just deleting units.I still think 60 firewarriors , a storm surge , drones and fusion commanders ( plus broadsides) will kick out a ton of firepower and be a pretty good list. I have now got 35 firewarriors painted and when I have the 60 I will test them out.

How exactly did we start the deathstar race? That race began long before us, and other than the Farsight bomb, who was never that amazing, we didn't deathstar.

cookiez
Shas

Post#44 » Jun 18 2017 05:43

Supershrew wrote:My experience so far is that tau are different to 7th and need a different list, but still pretty good.

Absolutely they are in a good spot, just who plays an optimised list right now? What I can say from my 2 games experience so far, is that we got some nasty toys. Yesterday I've smashed some Dark Eldars, even when I couldn't seize the initiative. Lost Pathfinders and 20 Fire Warriors in a first turn. But then, oh boy... Deep strike took all 3 ravagers out, Wyches just were not able to chew through the 3+ Ghostkeel (he is so survivable, and always give him flamers, always... ;) ) and 2+ Broadside, the last 10 Fire Warriors squad with Cadre decimated the rest, while deep striking 4x Crisis with 4 FB Commander were deleting unit after unit and were no match for my opponent.

I know I got much easier, because I've starter 40k with 8th, but you all need to adapt or you will die trying. ;)

Supershrew
Shas'Saal

Post#45 » Jun 18 2017 05:46

The death stars evolved due to having to stop tau removing units from the board. I rememberer hearing about a tournament after 6th edition tau dropped . Half the field were playing a Tau gun lines ( 9 broadside , maximum firewarriors etc) and were tabling people let , right and centre. Only the screamer star ( in its infancy) was able to take the hit and the death stars took off. In terms of tau, the ovessa star was quite a big deal for a few months but I agree tau never really had a super good star.

Papa Cloud
Shas'Saal

Post#46 » Jun 18 2017 06:46

I wasn't so lucky. My opponent this weekend had a strong SM list.

Had 20 kroot, 25 drones, 4 stealth suits, 9 crisis suits and 4FB commander erased by careful fire of hurricane bolters removing drones then grav cannon the suits.

I had 30 FW, 10PF, 3 Fireblades in the back, byr 60 pulse rounds at a rhino...did 4 wounds.

We gave too little anti armor With sub par shooting. Threw a lot dice and did very little damage.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#47 » Jun 19 2017 07:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSQuMPaBr8Q

Necrons vs Tau, end-of-turn style, 50 power points

bansh
Shas

Post#48 » Jun 20 2017 04:25

The table top tactics tau player has only ever spammed super strong units in his 7th ed batreps..... i have not seen an army of his balanced....ever.....is this who we want to gague our effectiveness in 8th ed off...just saying

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#49 » Jun 20 2017 04:29

bansh wrote:The table top tactics tau player has only ever spammed super strong units in his 7th ed batreps..... i have not seen an army of his balanced....ever.....is this who we want to gague our effectiveness in 8th ed off...just saying

Yes and no. Every bit of information helps, especially if it's about the units that used to be strong in 7th.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#50 » Jun 20 2017 08:26

I think that if what used to be considered the worst kind of Tau player suddenly finds himself as the worst Tau player we can learn something.

jagonchen
Shas'Saal

Post#51 » Jun 20 2017 09:05

Cover Slaves - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wB3oeyP1gg

Battle Report - 40K 8th Edition Battle Report - Tau vs Thousand Sons & Necrons 3500 pts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov9AWD-DDU4&t=219s

FrontLineGaming - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/153269396

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#52 » Jun 23 2017 08:09

T'au vs SM (UM) - 1850p, mixed style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Flp00pd4EY

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#53 » Jun 24 2017 10:10

Vector Strike wrote:T'au vs SM (UM) - 1850p, mixed style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Flp00pd4EY

A lot of mistakes in that one though. Like wtf is up with the Commander having a Cyclic Ion Raker with 6 shots S8 (no he didn't roll a d6 to determine the shots even)? Or with allocating wounds to Drones after making the saves on the original model? :D

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#54 » Jul 03 2017 08:23

T'au vs DA - 2000p - mixed style (no measurements)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31maDT_BGfE

This list is more to my liking than those filled with rank troops. Didn't do bad at all!

Return to “Battle Reports”