8th Edition Battle Report: 24(24) PL Tau vs Iron Hands

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 8th Edition Battle Report: 24(24) PL Tau vs Iron Hands

Post#37 » Jun 21 2017 11:35

When I say shooting screen, I am referring more to the savior protocol.

Again, this is just play testing. A theory. So far it has worked as intended, but I need more play testing. It is meant to serve as a mobile gun line of sorts. Another option is to charge with the Devilfish, and lock for one round of close combat. Disembark the following round while the Devilfish disengages and falls back. the Firwarriors a free to fire 30 shots (with the fireblade) into their target.

I am just playing around with ideas.
Aur'ocq shath'r'i tskan sha Tau'va

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#38 » Jun 21 2017 11:42

Crunchy_Monk wrote:When I say shooting screen, I am referring more to the savior protocol.

Again, this is just play testing. A theory. So far it has worked as intended, but I need more play testing. It is meant to serve as a mobile gun line of sorts. Another option is to charge with the Devilfish, and lock for one round of close combat. Disembark the following round while the Devilfish disengages and falls back. the Firwarriors a free to fire 30 shots (with the fireblade) into their target.

For the Saviour Protocols you don't need any fancy formation though. Just keep them in 3" to your Firewarrior and you're good. It's not a literal screen. :D

I know it's just a theory and I'm pointing out the flaws in that theory. If it worked then most likely due the enemy not being used to 8th yet.
So far this theory doesn't provide anything a regular bubble wrap of Drones couldn't do just as well except for more initial movement range and a bit of Line of Sight blocking from the sides....which is as said kinda a lot of work for just minimal effect on some Firewarrior.
As enemy I'd simply ignore that unit combination or blast away one of the Devilfishes if I have nothing better to shoot at to see that formation crumble.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#39 » Jun 21 2017 11:43

Crunchy_Monk wrote:When I say shooting screen, I am referring more to the savior protocol.

There might be a way to make this formation more efficient. Position the two Devilfish so that their Drone holders are touching, making an impassable wall. Angle the Devilfish outward so that they're in a V-shape. Put the fire warriors in between. If enemies threaten to charge through the open rear of the formation, deploy the Drones there before they charge. The Fire Warriors can still shoot but it's impossible to charge them from the front or sides!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#40 » Jun 22 2017 01:14

Arka0415 wrote:

There might be a way to make this formation more efficient. Position the two Devilfish so that their Drone holders are touching, making an impassable wall. Angle the Devilfish outward so that they're in a V-shape. Put the fire warriors in between. If enemies threaten to charge through the open rear of the formation, deploy the Drones there before they charge. The Fire Warriors can still shoot but it's impossible to charge them from the front or sides!

That would work better, yes. But still only against opponents who struggle killing 2-4 Drones with shooting or the melee unit itself. :P

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#41 » Jun 22 2017 07:57

Panzer wrote:That would work better, yes. But still only against opponents who struggle killing 2-4 Drones with shooting or the melee unit itself. :P

Actually, in my example, it's the hulls of the Devilfish that block the charge, not the Drones! The Drones would be deployed in the rear, and only if necessary. Otherwise, Devilfish are huge, and they're great charge-blockers!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#42 » Jun 22 2017 08:27

Arka0415 wrote:
Panzer wrote:That would work better, yes. But still only against opponents who struggle killing 2-4 Drones with shooting or the melee unit itself. :P

Actually, in my example, it's the hulls of the Devilfish that block the charge, not the Drones! The Drones would be deployed in the rear, and only if necessary. Otherwise, Devilfish are huge, and they're great charge-blockers!

True, unless the opponent stands on both sides due deep strike or superior movement or whatever. :P

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#43 » Jun 22 2017 08:31

Panzer wrote:True, unless the opponent stands on both sides due deep strike or superior movement or whatever. :P

It'd be important to take enemy movement into consideration before you deploy troops, especially a finicky formation like the Fish of Fury. But honestly, you'll probably disembark the Fire Warriors on turn 2 or 3. If the enemy keeps powerful deep-strikers in reserve that long... that's already a nice advantage for you.

Return to “Battle Reports”