8th Edition Battle Report: 24(24) PL Tau vs Iron Hands

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Re: 8th Edition Battle Report: 24(24) PL Tau vs Iron Hands

Post#19 » Jun 21 2017 10:37

Crunchy_Monk wrote:
EDIT: Everyone at the game store agreed that this is how it works. Ive seen battle reports treating this the same way.

Then they are wrong as well.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Jun 21 2017 10:38

Crunchy_Monk wrote:That D3 is per to wound roll. I got 5 Damage, so that is 5 to wound rolls. So that is 5 chances to get a D3 mortal wounds.

EDIT: Everyone at the game store agreed that this is how it works. Ive seen battle reports treating this the same way.

I think you have it backwards. Attack -> Hit -> Wound -> Save -> Damage

I'd be happy to check out arguments to the contrary but it seems pretty clear in the rules. "Each time you make a wound roll of 6+ for this weapon, the target unit suffers D3 Mortal Wounds in addition to the normal damage."

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Jun 21 2017 10:44

Then I stand corrected. As everyone else was in agreement, I saw no issue, but you are correct. So, Railguns are not as strong as I thought. It just means two railguns would be required to take a vehicle off the table reliably in one turn.
Last edited by Crunchy_Monk on Jun 21 2017 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Aur'ocq shath'r'i tskan sha Tau'va

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Jun 21 2017 10:46

Crunchy_Monk wrote:Then I stand corrected. As everyone else is in agreement, I saw no issue, but you are correct. So, Railguns are not as strong as I though. It just means two railguns would be required to take a vehicle off the table reliably in one turn.

Yep i agree that for its 1 shot its pretty weak, considering other armies get multi shot or multi gun vehicles.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Jun 21 2017 10:52

Lechai Skull wrote:
Crunchy_Monk wrote:Then I stand corrected. As everyone else is in agreement, I saw no issue, but you are correct. So, Railguns are not as strong as I though. It just means two railguns would be required to take a vehicle off the table reliably in one turn.

Yep i agree that for its 1 shot its pretty weak, considering other armies get multi shot or multi gun vehicles.

It's not likely that we'll be one-shotting vehicles. However, Longstrike's railgun practically guarantees a decent amount of damage. It's just so reliable. A roll of 1 fails. A roll of 2-4 gives you 1-6 damage. A roll of 5-6 gives you 2-9 damage. I like those odds.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Jun 21 2017 10:54

Arka0415 wrote:
Lechai Skull wrote:

It's not likely that we'll be one-shotting vehicles. However, Longstrike's railgun practically guarantees a decent amount of damage. It's just so reliable. A roll of 1 fails. A roll of 2-4 gives you 1-6 damage. A roll of 5-6 gives you 2-9 damage. I like those odds.

But with markerlight support, that 1 gets re-rolled

EDIT: We just thought each point of damage was a wound roll.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » Jun 21 2017 11:02

Crunchy_Monk wrote:But with markerlight support, that 1 gets re-rolled

Markerlights can't re-roll Longstrike's wounds, but... a command re-roll can! Use the command re-roll on Longstrike's wound. Best use of the re-roll in the whole Index. You can go from 0 to 5 or 6 damage with one re-roll. Yes please.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Jun 21 2017 11:08

Arka0415 wrote:

Markerlights can't re-roll Longstrike's wounds, but... a command re-roll can! Use the command re-roll on Longstrike's wound. Best use of the re-roll in the whole Index. You can go from 0 to 5 or 6 damage with one re-roll. Yes please.

Then how is the 1 failing? I guess I don't follow. I guess I thought you were talking about to hit rolls.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Jun 21 2017 11:11

Crunchy_Monk wrote:But my manner of deployment is where I am trying out a slightly modified version of the Fish of Fury tactic outlined on another Forum post. The picture below was actually taken at the end of my turn one, but should give you an idea of what I was doing.

I deployed with the two vehicles like so. Troops and drones embarked. Normally I would space them out to allow room for two squads and associated Fireblades. I had one, so I kept close.

I'm actually not sure whether this kind of deployment has any purpose except for looking fancy.
With how much space you left between your Drones an enemy could easily declare a multicharge and fit at least one model so that it is within 1" of the Firewarrior, so they would be in melee as well...or they could pile in into range......or they could simply wipe one of the Drone units and consolidate into your Firewarrior.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » Jun 21 2017 11:13

Crunchy_Monk wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

Then how is the 1 failing? I guess I don't follow.

If Longstrike rolls a 1 to wound, he fails, like everybody else. But he's Longstrike! He don't accept no failure! So we use a command re-roll on his would. 5/6 chance that we succeed! So we have a very high chance to turn Longstrike's (uncommon) failures into successes. With his huge AP value and high damage, there's a very high chance that we could bring that shot from zero to kill using one re-roll. That's amazing value for a Command Point!!

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#29 » Jun 21 2017 11:15

Panzer wrote:
Crunchy_Monk wrote:But my manner of deployment is where I am trying out a slightly modified version of the Fish of Fury tactic outlined on another Forum post. The picture below was actually taken at the end of my turn one, but should give you an idea of what I was doing.

I deployed with the two vehicles like so. Troops and drones embarked. Normally I would space them out to allow room for two squads and associated Fireblades. I had one, so I kept close.

I'm actually not sure whether this kind of deployment has any purpose except for looking fancy.
With how much space you left between your Drones an enemy could easily declare a multicharge and fit at least one model so that it is within 1" of the Firewarrior, so they would be in melee as well...or they could pile in into range......or they could simply wipe one of the Drone units and consolidate into your Firewarrior.

Can an enemy unit not pass within 1" of an enemy unit? or am I wrong? The idea wold be to assault the enemy unit first with the drones, and not let them assault first, give the firewarriors time to embark. They would serve more as a shooting screen though.

EDIT: This also keeps any deep striking units from shooting from behind, or the flanks. I don understand what you are saying though. Ideally this deployment is to allow the drones to deploy as a fire screen.
Last edited by Crunchy_Monk on Jun 21 2017 11:21, edited 2 times in total.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#30 » Jun 21 2017 11:18

Arka0415 wrote:
Crunchy_Monk wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

Then how is the 1 failing? I guess I don't follow.

If Longstrike rolls a 1 to wound, he fails, like everybody else. But he's Longstrike! He don't accept no failure! So we use a command re-roll on his would. 5/6 chance that we succeed! So we have a very high chance to turn Longstrike's (uncommon) failures into successes. With his huge AP value and high damage, there's a very high chance that we could bring that shot from zero to kill using one re-roll. That's amazing value for a Command Point!!

I follow you now. I promise, I am not this stupid, just really tired. i should be in bed already, but I am enjoying learning all my screw ups :)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#31 » Jun 21 2017 11:19

Crunchy_Monk wrote:I follow you now. I promise, I am not this stupid, just really tired. i should be in bed already, but I am enjoying learning all my screw ups :)

That's okay! We're all learning. I'm from Asia, so I'm on my lunch break right now. :D

JustGreg
Shas'Saal

Post#32 » Jun 21 2017 11:22

Arka0415 wrote:
Crunchy_Monk wrote:I follow you now. I promise, I am not this stupid, just really tired. i should be in bed already, but I am enjoying learning all my screw ups :)

That's okay! We're all learning. I'm from Asia, so I'm on my lunch break right now. :D

Funny, makes two of us. And yes the editions in its infancy, we're all learning. Nice to have a community to share ideas and ask questions with.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#33 » Jun 21 2017 11:23

Arka0415 wrote:

Indeed we are. I used to be a great Tau player in my store during 5th and 7th, but I was building up for a Tau-Dar army for over a year, just to have this edition throw all that work away.

EDIT: Its almost midnight here . XD

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#34 » Jun 21 2017 11:25

Crunchy_Monk wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

Indeed we are. I used to be a good Tau player in my store during 5th and 7th, but I was building up for a Tau-Dar army for over a year, just to have this edition throw all that work away.

EDIT: Its almost midnight here . XD

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Jun 21 2017 11:30

Crunchy_Monk wrote:I used to be a great Tau player in my store during 5th and 7th, but I was building up for a Tau-Dar army for over a year, just to have this edition throw all that work away.

Ah, I feel ya. A good friend of mine plays Eldar, we always tag-team combined the armies for 1v1 competetive play. Worked really well. So much synergy since evrybody could JSJ. Oh well.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#36 » Jun 21 2017 11:31

Crunchy_Monk wrote:
Panzer wrote:

Can an enemy unit not pass within 1" of an enemy unit? or am I wrong? The idea wold be to assault the enemy unit first with the drones, and not let them assault first, give the firewarriors time to embark. They would serve more as a shooting screen though.

EDIT: This also keeps any deep striking units from shooting from behind, or the flanks. I don understand what you are saying though. Ideally this deployment is to allow the drones to deploy as a fire screen.

Sure the enemy can't just walk through them. However if they declare a multicharge or use a pile in move, they can obviously (better read up on those).
Also, sure if you charge the enemy with the Drones and he fails to kill 4 T4 W1 4++ models that turn, then you can prevent him from charging for a turn once a game. In that case he was barely a threat to your firewarrior anyway though and shouldn't have been that close to you in the first place.
Also also what purpose would a shooting screen serve? You don't get any cover from standing behind another unit anymore. The enemy can just say he shoots at your Firewarrior and completely ignore your Drones.

It protects them less against shooting from behind than you might think. There's still a huge gap the enemy could see them through. It's also a huge point investment just to protect a bunch of Firewarrior against some potential deep striking unit. I'm sure any unit that actually deep strikes behind your lines will finde more tasty targets to shoot at. :D

Return to “Battle Reports”