First 8th Edition vs Nids 1500 Points. Special Ops

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
You_Father_Sky
Shas

First 8th Edition vs Nids 1500 Points. Special Ops

Post#1 » Jun 23 2017 11:52

So I played my first game vs nids today, using a list I'd thought up which is heavily fluffed for my special ops army and based around drones/steath suits.

I ran a combined Vanguard/Outrider detachment consisting of:
4 squads of gun drones (12, 12, 10, 10), being supported by Stealth Teams (6, 3, 3) with Drone Controllers and fusion blasters, 2 Cadre Fire blades, 2 Marker drones squads (10, 9) behind them, as well as Shadowsun and Longstrike filling out the vanguard HQ slots.

Opponent was running:
Two squads of Hormagaunts (One being deep striked by a Mawloc)
Hive Crone
Harpy
Flyrant
Tervigon
Death Leaper
Spore Mines (I think that's it)

The nid player went first and alpha striked hard, getting up in my face with a harpy, hive crone, Spore mines, mawloc with gaunt squad, dropped a death leaper right beside Shadowsun and brought a Flyrant up. It made sense to me, and I think it made sense to him, and I was hella worried. But what he actually did was bring a huge chunk of his force within 9" (half range) of my (unintentional) gunline, every gun drone squad was 9" and as a result got the volley fire support from the fireblades, 72 shots, re rolling 1s, for each 12 drone unit, and 60 for the 10 strong units.

I wiped out half of his stuff in overwatch alone, he failed a couple long charges, and then I weathered the couple he got. Everything in my list aside from the fireblades has fly, so I redeployed, scored a bunch of markerlight hits, and now all my drones were hitting on 3s, re rolling 1s, plus my stealth units, shadowsun and longstrike pounded away before breaking their line and moving forward.

By the end of turn two the battle was pretty slanted and by turn 3 it was basically over. All that alpha strike was dead, I had I swung my one weakened drone unit back to hold my objective and my force was moving outward in three prongs against his lone remaining gaunt unit and Tervigon. His gaunts were holding the objective so essentially my remaining force was focus firing on the the Tervigon.

I was blown away by how effective we were and how ineffective the nids were. Granted, that was due to varying factors, but regardless the drones and stealth suits I've loved since 3rd edition brought the pain. That makes me happy, because I got back into 40k in 7th and had no part of the riptide/stormsurge trend. Just me n' my drones/SS, waiting for our time to shine haha.

Pictures on dropbox here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/276d4o0zq7mn ... VGkTa?dl=0
"For the glory of Kauyon, of course!"

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Re: First 8th Edition vs Nids 1500 Points. Special Ops

Post#2 » Jun 24 2017 03:15

Good Win!
How much of your damage was the drones and how much were the other units?

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 24 2017 04:41

Drones cant hit on 3's...

unless you managed to get 5 markerlights on everything they shoot at + a DC. which is impressive work!

Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 24 2017 04:56

Wow I'm shocked! When I read his list vs yours I was sure I could predict the outcome of that game, considering I live with a Nid player, and we have played about 5 games together. I have only won one...

In general, it seems like your overwatch dice loved you that game, and the nid player made some really bad plays and assaults. Also, I've seen that the Hive Crone is pretty bad for its points cost, and cand end up being an inefficient thing to spend points on. I'm glad I can see a report of Tau winning though! It gives me hope!

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 24 2017 05:57

Raikoh067 wrote:Wow I'm shocked! When I read his list vs yours I was sure I could predict the outcome of that game, considering I live with a Nid player, and we have played about 5 games together. I have only won one...

In general, it seems like your overwatch dice loved you that game, and the nid player made some really bad plays and assaults. Also, I've seen that the Hive Crone is pretty bad for its points cost, and cand end up being an inefficient thing to spend points on. I'm glad I can see a report of Tau winning though! It gives me hope!

I wasn't surprised at all. Gun drones are the most powerful unit in the Tau index for a 'damage per point' value. and he had over 60 of them (i cant field nearly that many). all protecting the heavy hitters. Its a very efficient list :biggrin:

You_Father_Sky
Shas

Post#6 » Jun 24 2017 11:14

Watcher on the wall wrote:Good Win!
How much of your damage was the drones and how much were the other units?

Drones were absolute pheoms this game! Definitely the main focus of the build, everything supported them. The Stealth suits split their fire between supporting the drones with their burst cannons, and supporting shadowsun and longstrike with fusion, they did their job really well.

On overwatch I pumped out 264 shots from the gun drones alone, and with that many/rerolling ones I was putting up a lot of 6s. Once my turn came up and I fell out of combat, that same number of shots were firing at full supported BS 3+

Lechai Skull wrote:Drones cant hit on 3's...

unless you managed to get 5 markerlights on everything they shoot at + a DC. which is impressive work!

Indeed they were! If you look at the pics, everything kept the synergy like a flowing tide, so I always had my drone controllers and my 19 marker drones lit dudes up. I got my 5 marker hits per target rather easily. Thank you for thinking so!

You_Father_Sky
Shas

Post#7 » Jun 24 2017 11:21

Lechai Skull wrote:
Raikoh067 wrote:Wow I'm shocked! When I read his list vs yours I was sure I could predict the outcome of that game, considering I live with a Nid player, and we have played about 5 games together. I have only won one...

I wasn't surprised at all. Gun drones are the most powerful unit in the Tau index for a 'damage per point' value. and he had over 60 of them (i cant field nearly that many). all protecting the heavy hitters. Its a very efficient list :biggrin:

I am BEYOND STOKED. I have been such a huge fan of my fluff/army style since 3rd edition but it just never worked until 7th edition with the drone net and using my stealths to outflank them (I had a devastating win against space marines that way). I am super excited that my favourite things are so potentially effective. People kept telling me to buy a riptide or a surge and I just kept painting my drones.

This build is the special ops/urban warfare/run and gun style of play I like, I don't like being forced into a gunline, that only happened because the nid player came right at me. I had intended for him to move up a little bit, allowing me to close the distance in turn two, but I ended up having to stand my ground! I completely agree, when I saw the points cost drop, and the shots double, then saw volleyfire, I looked at all my drones and thought "holy christ, wait a second* and grabbed a calculator. Then noticed saviour protocols and the area of effect drone controller and said "Yup, I'm building this". The great thing too, is this list scales extremely well, I have one at 750, 1000, 1500, 2000. My 2000 point list sees the addition of full drone squads, more stealthsuits and 2 ghostkeels.

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jun 24 2017 02:34

This sounds really good, well done!

As someone just starting 40k I admire your persistance and will certainly aim to replicate it. My friend who's also starting out has a nid army, so i'm hoping we get to have some interesting experiences.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 24 2017 09:54

You_Father_Sky wrote:
I am BEYOND STOKED. I have been such a huge fan of my fluff/army style since 3rd edition but it just never worked until 7th edition with the drone net and using my stealths to outflank them (I had a devastating win against space marines that way). I am super excited that my favourite things are so potentially effective. People kept telling me to buy a riptide or a surge and I just kept painting my drones.

This build is the special ops/urban warfare/run and gun style of play I like, I don't like being forced into a gunline, that only happened because the nid player came right at me. I had intended for him to move up a little bit, allowing me to close the distance in turn two, but I ended up having to stand my ground! I completely agree, when I saw the points cost drop, and the shots double, then saw volleyfire, I looked at all my drones and thought "holy christ, wait a second* and grabbed a calculator. Then noticed saviour protocols and the area of effect drone controller and said "Yup, I'm building this". The great thing too, is this list scales extremely well, I have one at 750, 1000, 1500, 2000. My 2000 point list sees the addition of full drone squads, more stealthsuits and 2 ghostkeels.

When i read the new index, I immediately went to my box of unnasembled models/2nd hand and parts etc. And assembled and started painting every gun drone i could muster up.

I should end up with about 38 gun drones, 6 shield drones, 3 sniper drones, 2 missile drones, 4 shielded missile drones and 1 pulse accelerator drones and 2 heavy gun drones. (never managed to get any markers :( ).

hoping to get some more in the future too

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jun 25 2017 06:41

Lechai Skull wrote:When i read the new index, I immediately went to my box of unnasembled models/2nd hand and parts etc. And assembled and started painting every gun drone i could muster up.

I should end up with about 38 gun drones, 6 shield drones, 3 sniper drones, 2 missile drones, 4 shielded missile drones and 1 pulse accelerator drones and 2 heavy gun drones. (never managed to get any markers :( ).

The new boxed sets have plastic Marker Drones! Go wild!

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jun 25 2017 08:29

Arka0415 wrote:
Lechai Skull wrote:When i read the new index, I immediately went to my box of unnasembled models/2nd hand and parts etc. And assembled and started painting every gun drone i could muster up.

The new boxed sets have plastic Marker Drones! Go wild!

My wife forbid me from purchasing any new models until everything i had was painted....

I have a LOT of unpainted stuff :( :sad:

You_Father_Sky
Shas

Post#12 » Jun 26 2017 02:06

Haha, well that's why you just need to find a guy that can do shadow drops in the middle of the night, she'll never know!

I am also thinking of adding a Y'Vahra suit to this list, deploying it on the board immediately rather than keeping it in reserve, then moving it to a flank in order to force my opponent to move his forces to deal with it. Then, when he's committed his forces, I'll yank it will it's escape thrust and redeploy the following turn on the opposite flank where it can get close and potato everything.

Thoughts?

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jun 26 2017 04:22

Lechai Skull wrote:
My wife forbid me from purchasing any new models until everything i had was painted....

My wife joked about that once.... I painted my entire army within 6 months just to make sure she didn't get any serious ideas on the subject! I'm currently sat with only 15 unpainted models and 11 of them are new the rest are bits box rescues.

So I'm guessing from reading this battle report people aren't finding an issue with our BS being poor. With markerlights being ineffective unless fielded in massive numbers and blast weapons needing a to hit roll. I just can't get my head around how badly we are effected on paper. Suits got really expensive and lost the stable firing plat form, meaning most support options are being forced to be left out of games just so we can move and fire without penalties. I am yet to play a game but I'm so put off with the way Tau read I'm going back to play Marines that seem to work very very well!

Sorry bit of a tread jack but I can't find anyone talking about how much we are now suffering with BS4+ compared to other armies. I'm hoping it's just on paper, but can't get past my nagging doubts.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jun 26 2017 04:27

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:
Lechai Skull wrote:

My wife joked about that once.... I painted my entire army within 6 months just to make sure she didn't get any serious ideas on the subject! I'm currently sat with only 15 unpainted models and 11 of them are new the rest are bits box rescues.

So I'm guessing from reading this battle report people aren't finding an issue with our BS being poor. With markerlights being ineffective unless fielded in massive numbers and blast weapons needing a to hit roll. I just can't get my head around how badly we are effected on paper. Suits got really expensive and lost the stable firing plat form, meaning most support options are being forced to be left out of games just so we can move and fire without penalties. I am yet to play a game but I'm so put off with the way Tau read I'm going back to play Marines that seem to work very very well!

Sorry bit of a tread jack but I can't find anyone talking about how much we are now suffering with BS4+ compared to other armies. I'm hoping it's just on paper, but can't get past my nagging doubts.

From what I experienced is that re-rolling 1s does a LOT to improve our armies performance even with just BS4+ and the added durability of Suits paired with the amount of shots for few points Gun Drones bring can make it less punishing to miss important shots because unlike in 7th you can just try again next round.
However it obviously doesn't replace the feel of having a high precision shooting army unfortunately.

Also on the wife subject: once more I'm pretty happy to be single currently...I have yet to finish painting a single unit (I started painting almost all of them though lol). :D

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Jun 26 2017 04:41

Reading through the battle reports on here we really have become a hoard army that does best with mass fire I do have 7 squads of fire Warriors 2 squads of breachers, 4 pathfinder teams, 48 Gun drones, 24 Marker drone and 90 Kroot... I just don't want to have to play like that!

As for the comment on being single... All of the above are fully painted and only a scratch on the surface of my full army so swings and round abouts ;)

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jun 26 2017 05:40

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:Reading through the battle reports on here we really have become a hoard army that does best with mass fire I do have 7 squads of fire Warriors 2 squads of breachers, 4 pathfinder teams, 48 Gun drones, 24 Marker drone and 90 Kroot... I just don't want to have to play like that!

As for the comment on being single... All of the above are fully painted and only a scratch on the surface of my full army so swings and round abouts ;)

If you think that we are a horde army, then read my batrep against AM
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=25819

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jun 26 2017 05:49

To be honest T'au always used to be a mix between horde and elite. The ridiculous 10 model armies that we had with the Riptide Wing were the exception.
Firewarrior are cheap, Drones are cheap, Pathfinder are not cheap but not expensive either....I don't see how we could ever not be hord-ish unless one went full Battlesuit list.
And even if we go all Infantry then we still aren't a true horde army like Orks or Tyranids if they do the same with their cheap units. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Jun 26 2017 05:58

Panzer wrote:To be honest T'au always used to be a mix between horde and elite. The ridiculous 10 model armies that we had with the Riptide Wing were the exception.
Firewarrior are cheap, Drones are cheap, Pathfinder are not cheap but not expensive either....I don't see how we could ever not be hord-ish unless one went full Battlesuit list.
And even if we go all Infantry then we still aren't a true horde army like Orks or Tyranids if they do the same with their cheap units. :D

Honestly, if this is how Tau meta changes, I could get behind it. Our armies feel a little fluffier, and while they're not as strong as they once were, fielding a lot of sleek helmets, pulse rifles, and synergy feels very Tau. With the odd exception of taking Commanders over XV8s, our armies might look a little more like the cover of the old Battleforce box- a gritty line of Fire Warriors backed up by battlesuits hovering around in close support. Fluffy!

Return to “Battle Reports”