Battle Report: Tau vs Astra Millitarum (2000pts)

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Battle Report: Tau vs Astra Millitarum (2000pts)

Post#1 » Jun 24 2017 12:23

Played my first battle vs Astra Millitarum (old Imperial Guard)

My Tau army led by Commander Blinding Wave
http://www.deakin.edu.au/~challis/TAU2000.html (link's not broken, you just have to click proceed to view it)

I built a compact fast and durable list comprising of only 9 units (2 who were in reserve). The aim was to nearly guarantee first. However it was a needless endeavor if you look at the list my opponent brought.

http://www.deakin.edu.au/~challis/AM2000.html

Yep, 23 units. He may have even been able to pull a few of those units out to make an additional detachment. But the amount of effort to go from 12 -> 13 CP just wasn't worth it. He also had to field almost every model he owned as everything they have is so cheap now. This was also his first battle in 8th with AM so it wasn't really optimized very well.

We rolled for deployment zones and mission and got 'Contact Lost' and regular old 'DoW'.

After deploying our forces her rolled for seize and got a '5'.

Unfortunately this is the only photo i have. I took more on my phone, but forgot to hit save... :sad:

In Reserve i have my Fusion Commander, 3 crisis suits with plasma's, and 8 drones.
    My opponent has his Scions in reserve with their hotshot lasguns.

I'm starting to worry about my list at this point, as he has twice the number of vehicles and at least 5 times the amount of infantry.

Tau Turn 1
Movement
I've committed to a fast blitzkrieg style list, so there's nothing left to do but execute my plan. The Y'vahra Novacharges his reactor, suffering a wound and charges straight at the enemy, landing 6" from the enemy lines. The sunshark flies over the enemy lines and lands in the only bubble of space not occupied by an enemy unit. He drops his bomb on the infantry in the woods. 6 mortal wounds caused, a good start. The drones advance to behind the hill to get some cover. The stormsurge plods up to objective 1. Everything else stays stationary.
The Mantacore drops. http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=25738
I place it on the left hand table edge 9" from the armoured sentinel half in and out of the woods. I don't get cover from it anyway, so it didn't matter.
Shooting
The pathfinder markerlights all fire at the plasmacutioner. i get 5 hits from 6 shots!!! this is going to be awesome. Next is the crisis suits, rapid fire plasmas into the sentinel drop it to 1 wound. Gun drones unload on it removing the last wound. 1st blood. my fusion commander fires 4 fusions at commander Pask hiding partially behind the rock. 3 hits, 2 wounds and 0 saves drops him to 6 wounds, just under half his total. He's hitting on 3's instead of 2's now. The stormsurge unloads at the plasmacutioner with a grin on his face having 5 markerlight tokens. he fires all 4 destroyer missiles. i roll 3 2's and a 1... i get to reroll the 1 and spend one of my 4 precious CP's on a 2. i roll a 2 and 5. roll for damage and get a 1. 1 mortal wound from 4 destroyer missiles... his big gun fares better and gets 3 shots. 2 hit, both wound and decent damage drop him to 3 wounds. Cluster rockets and sms fire into a unit of infantry behind the hill killing 8. Only 3 drones behind the hill can see anything in range. They fire at the wounded infantry hit by the bomb. Removing another 2, leaving 2 left. Sunshark markerlight hits the wyvern. Both seeker missiles hit the plasmacutioner. Ion rifles overcharge and fire, but no damage. Missiles also fire but fail to remove the last wound. Longstrike fires his 2 seeker missiles at the same target. both hit. takes the plasmacutioner to -1. Overkill but i just wanted it dead. Railgun fires at the wyvern. hits and rolls a 5 on his wound roll. D6 + d3 damage. i roll 2 1's :(
Snipers fire at the company commander doing 1 wound. He drops to 3. The yavahra ignores the infantry, and fires at the hellhound. The ion cannon whiffs everything, but the flamer, now novacharged, rolls 13 hits, causing 4 wounds doing a total of 12 damage.

Morale
Both squads of infantry with +8 to the roll autofail and the reamining members flee.

Casualties
Plasmacutioner
Hellhound
20 infantry
armored sentinel

Astra Millitarum Turn 1
Movement
His entire north flank, practically unopposed advances forward without targets in range. Pask pops out from behind the rock ready for some revenge. The conscripts advance at the y'vahra under the supervision of the company commander.
Shooting
Pask unleashes on the mantacore killing every gundrone and taking 2 wounds off one of the crisis suits. The conscripts are given the order of first rank, second rank. lasguns are now rapidfire 2. 80 shots are fired at the y'vahra rerolling 1's. 25 hits and 8 wounds with 7 armour saves. The y'vahra is now on 12. My opponent now begins to put on his brown pants as nearly everything in range fires at it. Lascannons only a few steps away bounce off his forcefield and both leman russ tanks roll poorly for the number of shots (1 and 2) and only 1 hits and fails to wound. A few hull mounted heavy bolters kill 3 drones near the hill. The autocannons realize the futility and fire at the pathfinders. Killing 5.

Assault
My opponent declares a charge with his full squad of conscripts into my y'vahra. I kindly remind him the y'vahra is weilding a 3d6 plasma flamer, and that as it can fly, it wouldn't even be locked in combat. I offer him the option of reconsidering. He gladly accepts.

Morale
drones roll a 5 and 2 flee.
pathfinders roll a 6 and auto rally thanks to bonding knife.

Casualties
5 drones
5 pathfinders

Tau Turn 2
Movement
The sunshark rotates and lands next to the building up north and bombs the squad holding it, flipping ownership of the objective marker. The Y'vahra moves up to point blank in front of the closest russ and Novacharges his guns again. 3 damage taken, 2 self inflicted. The drones move up to support the now vulnerable crisis suits. Commander Blinding Wave declares Mont'ka and takes a step forward to be 7" from commander Pask. The crisis suits advance roll a measly 2" and are stuck in the open between the rock and hill.

Shooting
Commander Blinding Wave unloads at Pask with 4 fusion blasters, 4 hits and 2 wounds. first pair of dice is a 2 and 3, second pair a 1 and 2... sigh. i use a command point to reroll the 1 and get... another 1. Pask lives to fight on. The laughter of my opponent is silenced as i declare that the stormsurge is firing his pulse driver cannon at Pask. 2 hits and 2 wounds for 7 damage. Pask is gone. Slay the warlord scored. The rest of the stormsurge missiles pile into conscripts. killing 8. The drones kire and kill 4 more conscripts. They are annoyingly resilient in cover. 4+ save for a 3 point model hurts your firepower. the y'vahra opens on the russ. The Ion hits and the flamer combines to melt it from full health to dead. The plasma crisis suits open on the heavy lascannon squad, but being out of rapid fire range still they do poorly and cause 3 wounds killing 1. Longstrike hits the 2nd hellhound taking off a few wounds while the SMS take out the remaining infantry contesting the objective near the ruins. The sunshark fires at the autocannon squad also doing 3 wounds, killing 1. Snipers without LOS to any characters, fire at the appraching horde of infantry, but miss.

Morale
My opponent used 2 CP to auto pass the conscripts morale test.

Casualties
Pask
Leman Russ
14 Conscripts
10 infantry
1 lascannon
1 autocannon

Astra Millitarum Turn 2
Movement
2 infantry units up north advance on my rear lines the rest double back to tackle the monstrous robot melting everything in sight.

Shooting
Orders are issued. Plasma's are ALL overcharged as my opponent declares...

with the exception of the 2 autocannons that kill the last 2 pathfinders and 2 infantry squads on the other end of the table, the entire Astra Millitarum Army fires everything they have at the Y'vahra. Seargent Harker was the key as he sat in the middle of the units, giving every unit within 6" reroll of 1's. Saving the lives of many plasma gunners.
The y'vahra finally goes down to the last lascannon shot from the russ on the far north side. My opponent sigh's as a 1/4 of my army strength is removed from the table.

Morale
None

Casualties
Y'vahra
2 Pathfinders

Tau Turn 2
Movement
My commander, crisis suits and drones advance north looking to get some revenge for the loss of the now smoking experimental battlesuit. The sunshark does a hard right to prevent leaving the table, leaving it far from anywhere useful.

Shooting
the crisis suits fire at the infantry deaing damage. The drones obliterate the last of the conscripts and the commander wounds the 2nd hellhound but doesn't kill it. Longstrike fires and for the first time does no damage. The stormsurge does significant damage to the infantry adavancing on him, and hits the last russ with his cannon for a measly 2 damage.

Morale
None

Casualties
6 conscripts
8 infantry

Astra Millitarum Turn 3
The remnants of the north infantry move within rapid fire range of rear lines. The hellhound flees to 15" range and having been forgotten for 2 turns, the Scion Squad drop within rapid fire range of my mantacore AND next to a platoon commander.

Shooting
What happened to the Y'vahra last turn, now happened to the mantacore. a full squad of scions rapid firing into my units with -2ap + the wyvern, russ, remaining infantry, lascannons and autocannons killed the lot. Including the commander.

Suddenly, neither of us has very much left in the south, or at all.

The two infantry squads now at my gunline ignore the snipers and shoot the stormsurge. A few wounds actually go through.

Morale
None

Casualties
Commander Blinding Wave
3 Crisis Suits
8 Drones

Remaing turns
Turns 4, 5 and 6 were very low key with the 2 lascannons, 2 autocannons, russ and hellhound duking it out with the stormsurge and longstrike while the sun shark made mincemeat of the hotshots. By the time his tanks and guns went silent the stormsurge only had 5 wounds remaining. it wasn't a tabling, but the score was 6:1 and we rolled low to end the game on turn 6

Tau
First Blood 1
Slay the warlord 1
Linebreaker 1
objectives scored 3

AM
Slay the warlord

Summary
We had tons of fun compared to 7th, and although my opponent ended up using 10 of his 12CP, he totally forget them on his 1st turn. Not to mention forgetting his scions until turn 3. The Y'vahra didn't kill his points value in the end, but the fact that he soaked up nearly 2 whole turns of the entire enemy firepower made his effectiveness double.

Best on ground for the guard had to go to Sargent Harker. 6" re-roll 1 bubble, a heavy bolter hitting on 3+ and -2AP and 'character' protection for ~50 points makes him an auto include in any future AM list.

Unit Performance

Commander
Didn't perform as well as i had hoped, but did his job wounding tanks. Always an auto include
Longstrike
Awesome. Left the battle unscratched due to higher priority targets. Reliable gun and SMS make mincemeat of infantry.
Firelight Marksman
had him to buff the sniper drones. Actually killed a guardsman with a pistol in close combat to win the fight. after they charged in. Ok reliable markerlight and decent defensively as a character.
Sniper Drones
Waste of points. On paper they look like they are made to kill guard officers. The took 1 wound off a company commander for the entire battle. Were nearly always out of rapid fire range. Probably never get used again.
Tactical Drones
Did ok, needed more of them.
Pathfinders
the rail rifle was a waste of points. Probably useful against assaulting marines. Terrible in slugging matches vs guard.
Crisis suits
Plasma guns were probably a terrible choice here. Not sure what would have been a better pick. was never in flamer range and everything else is super pricey.
Y'vahra
The star. Almost an auto include if you own one. Will need to finish painting it now...
Stormsurge
Did its job, although the destroyer missiles were extremely disappointing, but you get that with the terrible rolls i had.
SunShark
Hard to say here, was pretty much given free reign to do what it wanted. I can see the bomb being awesome against expensive infantry like marines and grey knights. and the ion guns actually performed really well and never overheated due to the markerlight rerolling 1's.

Anyway.
Well done for making it to the end of this wall of text

Feel free to comment!

Supershrew
Shas'Saal

Re: Battle Report: Tau vs Astra Millitarum (2000pts)

Post#2 » Jun 24 2017 02:59

I am debating whether to get the yvahrna but it does sound awesome and I love that it gets in the opponents face and causes havoc. Very tempted...cheers for the battle report , was a bit Luke warm about longstrike but may give him a go

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 24 2017 03:23

Longstrike is a default choice for me. Its our only unit that can consistently wound vs T8 (2+). He would never win 1v1 on a landraider etc but if you have something to take all the attention (cough), he'll consistently put out the numbers. In fact his sms almost doubled the railgun on wounds caused against infantry. Also, he's not really that expensive.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jun 24 2017 05:12

Great Battle Report - keep it up!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jun 24 2017 09:27

I didn't see the username while I read through the battle report, then I saw the Hammerhead with that funky deployment, and thought "this must be Lechai Skull!" And lo, it was!

Anyway, excellent battle report! Always happy to see the Tau do well especially up against such punishing firepower!

Could you expand a little on why you felt the Plasma Rifles weren't worth it? I guess against Marines they might be good, but they felt underpowered against Guard or something?

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jun 24 2017 10:09

Arka0415 wrote:I didn't see the username while I read through the battle report, then I saw the Hammerhead with that funky deployment, and thought "this must be Lechai Skull!" And lo, it was!

Anyway, excellent battle report! Always happy to see the Tau do well especially up against such punishing firepower!

Could you expand a little on why you felt the Plasma Rifles weren't worth it? I guess against Marines they might be good, but they felt underpowered against Guard or something?

well against AM vehicles they hit on 4+ and wound on 5+ with a 6+ save... the only real target they were effective against was the sentinel, which they smashed. But there was only 1.
Against the infantry they killed like 3 a round. as they were always out of rapid fire range.

plasma's are great against marines and light vehicles. But he had only had 1 of those in his whole list. I should have just equipped them to do something specific. maybe missle spam would have been better. don't know.

Return to “Battle Reports”