Battle report: T'au versus Genestealer Cult (1000 pt)

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Shymer
Fio

Post#1 » Jul 04 2017 03:40

T'au forces

Fairlight Hunter Cadre, Battalion Detachment
Commander Fairlight, Aun'Tael (Ethereal), Darkrifle (Cadre Fireblade), 2 Strike teams, Kroot Shaper, Kroot Carnivores, XV25/15 Stealth Team

Brand Rapid Reaction Force, Outrider Detachment
Sub-Commander Brand, Pathfinder Recon Team, Vespid Stingwings, Marker Drone Swarm, Kroot Hounds

Opposing forces

Patriarch and Familiar, Primus, 2 units of Acolyte Hybrids, Neophyte Hybrids, Purestrain Genestealers, Cult Leman Russ

Mission: The Relic, Hammer and Anvil - T'au to deploy unit first, but go second.
Battlefield: 6'x4' urban with a few low walls, ruined multi-level buildings and one hill with forest on top.

Deployment

Stealth Team infiltrated a few inches from the relic in cover behind a low wall. Commander on right flank tower with marker drone swarm. Fireblade and Ethereal in the centre with one strike team in front and one behind. Pathfinders supporting fire warriors from neighbouring building. Left flank held by Kroot surrounding their Shaper. Hounds in the forest. Sub-Commander Brand and Vespid in reserve.

Cult Leman Russ in the backfield in cover. Neophyte hybrids on T'au right flank in multi-level building cover. Acolyte hybrids in centre behind LoS blocking cover. All other units in reserve (ready to ambush).

T'au failed to seize initiative.

GC turn 1

Acolytes in the centre broke cover and advanced toward the Stealth Team. Neophytes had to shuffle forward a little to get heavy weapons in range. Leman Russ remained still. Patriarch with Purestrains ambushed on T'au left flank, threatening the Kroot. Primus with Acolyte Hybrids appeared behind the T'au central units and advanced 2" closer as a bonus move.

Patriarch manifested Smite at the Kroot, rolled well and killed 6 models. When removed, the remaining charge distance was 12".

Shots from the Leman Russ at the Stealth Team failed to wound, as did grenades and mining laser fire from the Neophytes. Shots from the rearward Acolytes and the Primus killed one fire warrior.

Patriarch decided not to charge. Primus and Acolyte Hybrids charged the T'au lines. T'au overwatch fire was massive in volume, but disappointing, killing only three of the Acolytes. However, the charge roll was a 6. The option to re-roll was declined, a decision that would prove costly.

The remaining four Kroot rolled 6 for morale and fled the table, leaving the Shaper exposed.

T'au turn 1

Shaper retreated to the forest on the hill and advanced into cover. Kroot hounds, meanwhile, charged the Acolytes in the centre. The Stealth Team captured the relic and retreated a little, out of range of the mining laser. Vespid dropped behind the Patriarch and Genestealers. Sub-Commander Brand dropped in the centre of the board between the Patriarch and the stealth teams.

Marker drones lit the Acolytes surrounding the Primus with five markers (+1 to hit, re-roll 1s). The Pathfinders then drowned the unit in pulse carbine fire (20 S5 shots@BS3+ re-rolling 1s), killing them all. The smaller strike team in rapid fire range then opened up with pulse rifle fire on the Primus (27 S5 shots@BS4+) killing him. The larger strike team turned and fired on the Acolyte Hybrids moving towards the Stealth Team (12 S5 shots@BS4+) and with supporting fire from the Stealth Team (8 S5 shots@BS4+ and 1 S8 shot@BS4+) killed them. Commander Fairlight fired her missiles at the Neophytes (6 S7 shots@BS2+) and killed three of them. The Vespid fired neutron blasters at the Purestrains and killed three.

Kroot Hounds now lacking a close target turned and charged at the Patriarch and Purestrain Genestealers, with a re-roll on charge distance because of the three slain by the Vespid. They made a 10" charge and killed three more. However, the counter-attack by the Genestealers killed all ten hounds.

All units passed morale checks.

GC turn 2

The Neophytes dropped down from the building and moved forward so everyone could shoot at the Stealth Suits. The Patriarch and Genestealers advanced to striking range of Sub-Commander Brand.

The Patriarch manifested Hypnosis on Sub-Commander Brand, denying him his overwatch and de-buffing him. The Patriarch then manifested Smite, rolled 6,6 (perils), causing 3 mortal wounds to both Brand and himself.

Heavy fire from the tank blew one of the T'au XV15 Stealth Suits apart, but the Neophytes struggled again to make anything count against the remaining two models.

The Patriarch charged the Commander. The larger Strike Team and Stealth Team used their overwatches on the Commander's behalf for the greater good. A few more Genestealers collapsed, but the charge was easily completed. The Patriarch's first attacks caused at least 6 wounds ignoring armour :dead:. Pieces of sub-Commander Brand were presumably scattered over a wide area. The Patriarch consolidated into base contact with the Stealth Team.

T'au turn 2

Commander Fairlight and the drones jumped from the tower and imposed themselves between the Patriarch, his Genestealers and the Stealth Team that had jumped further away with the relic. The Vespid jumped from their perch and closed to charge range of the Leman Russ.

Markerlights, Volley Fire :fear: , Dead Genestealers and Patriarch.
Overwatch, made the charge, one dead Vespid.

The GC faction were down to the Leman Russ and ten Neophytes that were in the open in front of the T'au gunline. We shook hands. The T'au had claimed the relic and won the game.

Credits

With thanks to Stu and the guys at the Ambrosden Gaming Club.
Shas’O Sa’cea Kar’Li Cal’Cha “Commander Fairlight”

Shymer
Fio

Re: Battle report: T'au versus Genestealer Cult (1000 pt)

Post#2 » Jul 04 2017 03:56

Notes and observations

This was a learning battle. Stu was a good sport. We took it really slowly. Even so, the rules flowed nicely and seemed mostly smooth with few checks required.

We were not sure if you could fire pistols having advanced. Given each weapon type has one special rule, we decided that only assault weapons had the special ability to be fired after advancing and pistols, for some reason, did not.

Although the Cadre Fireblade's volley fire ability has lost the extra shot at 30" from 7th, the ability to move and volley fire, as well as his aura affecting more than one unit of T'au warriors is super-powerful. T'au gunlines have a massive threat radius and with supporting fire, an intimidating overwatch.

I was caught out by characters being separate units for the purposes of markerlights. I dropped five markerlights on a unit, and then forgot that the HQ was separate and so the markerlights did not help. This probably suggests a sequencing issue where to drop markerlights onto a character, one must first kill the surrounding troops and then the HQ is close enough to target, before killing that too.

My favourite loadout for Commanders from 7th (Missile Pods) were not spectacular, despite the threat radius. The Drone Controller needs to be put on a cheaper unit as it wastes the Commander's BS2+. Also the majority flamer loadout of Commander Brand also wastes the BS2+. Need to rethink.

Pulse gunlines are powerful, but dull. Buckets of dice. Erasing enemy units.

The mission of the relic was excellent for me. Going first allowed me to infiltrate my Stealth Team next to the objective - and cram my other units into a blob to maximise "for the greater good" without fear of templates or needing to hit multiple objectives. Static play style is effective in this kind of game, but next time I will write a list based on mobility.

Vespid are cool again. Kroot hounds are ace for screening and sudden impact.

I mis-costed my marker drones because I forgot the 3 points per drone for the markerlight. I only noticed after the event. :sad: I apologised to my opponent, and he was very gracious, as usual. Perhaps he felt that killing an entire 10-man unit of Kroot with one basic psychic power was karma?

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 04 2017 06:28

Thanks for sharing!

BTW: Marker drones include the cost of the markerlight. So you were ok.

If you check the index, it says that all drones come included with their gear, whereas regular units do not.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 04 2017 07:36

Shymer wrote:Pulse gunlines are powerful, but dull. Buckets of dice. Erasing enemy units.

Love it!

Shymer
Fio

Post#5 » Jul 05 2017 03:22

Lechai Skull wrote:BTW: Marker drones include the cost of the markerlight. So you were ok.

If you check the index, it says that all drones come included with their gear, whereas regular units do not.

:-?

You are totally right.

So.... Darkstrider comes with the markerlight included in the price... but the Cadre Fireblade doesn't?

Given these inconsistent and illogical rules come from the decaying Imperium of man, I should not be surprised. :roll:

Oxydo
Shas

Post#6 » Jul 05 2017 03:25

Shymer wrote:
Lechai Skull wrote:BTW: Marker drones include the cost of the markerlight. So you were ok.

:-?

You are totally right.

So.... Darkstrider comes with the markerlight included in the price... but the Cadre Fireblade doesn't?

Given these inconsistent and illogical rules come from the decaying Imperium of man, I should not be surprised. :roll:

All unique characters have their wargear included in their cost (not drones because they aren't wargear).

Shymer
Fio

Post#7 » Jul 05 2017 04:14

Oxydo wrote:All unique characters have their wargear included in their cost (not drones because they aren't wargear).

All unique characters... except Longstrike :crafty:

So - to summarise - All unique characters (except Longstrike) and tactical drones have their wargear included in their cost. In addition, none of the unique characters (including Longstrike) have their drones included in their cost. Is that right?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jul 05 2017 05:05

Shymer wrote:
Oxydo wrote:All unique characters have their wargear included in their cost (not drones because they aren't wargear).

So - to summarise - All unique characters (except Longstrike) and tactical drones have their wargear included in their cost. In addition, none of the unique characters (including Longstrike) have their drones included in their cost. Is that right?

There are three categories. Normal units' base costs do not include wargear or drones. Drones are just base cost, no paying for wargear. Special characters' costs already include wargear, but do not include Drones.

Longstrike is a special character, but you upgrade him like a tank, so he works like a regular unit.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 05 2017 07:02

Arka0415 wrote:
Shymer wrote:

There are three categories. Normal units' base costs do not include wargear or drones. Drones are just base cost, no paying for wargear. Special characters' costs already include wargear, but do not include Drones.

Longstrike is a special character, but you upgrade him like a tank, so he works like a regular unit.

Page 134 of Index: Xenos 2
Entry for darkstrider says exactly that

The only reason Longstrike doesn't have a fixed cost like other special characters is because he has a choice of weapons, whereas the other characters have a fixed loud out.

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jul 08 2017 03:50

Looks to me that you had little that could reliably hurt the tank. If your opponent had used it a bit more aggressively and moved it right up to the relic I feel the battle could have gone quite differently.

Consider bringing a fusion commander (now standard-issue for tau) or longstrike, to eliminate enemy armour. :fear:

Return to “Battle Reports”