Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

T'au vs Space Wolves - 1500p - Fang and Fire

Post#1 » Jul 04 2017 08:28

Today I had my first 8th ed T'au game!

My list:
Supreme Command Detachment (+1CP)
2x Commander; 4xFB (from now on labelled as 'QFC') (1 was my warlord); 2 gun drones
1x Longstrike; Railgun; 2x SMS

Battallion Detachment (+3CP)
1x Ethereal; 2 gun drones
1x Cadre Fireblade; 2 gun drones
3x12 Strike Teams; 1x DS8 (SMS); 2 gun drones; Shas'ui (pulse pistol + markerlight (forgot about those during the entire game :P ))
3x5 Pathfinders; pulse accelerator drone; Shas'ui (pulse pistol)
1x6 Stealth Suits; 2 gun drones; 1x FB; Shas'vre (1x FB; 1x Homing Beacon)

vs

Battallion Detachment
1x Logan Grimnar
1x Arjac Rockfist
1x Runepriest; Runic Armour (Storm Caller and Smite)
2x16 Bloodclaws; Wolf Leader
1x7 Bloodclaws; Wolf Leader with Thunderhammer
1x5 Wulfen; 4x TH/SS; 1x Frost Claws
1x Stormwolf; 1x Twin Helfrost Cannon; 2x Lascannon; 2x Twin Heavy Bolter

Mission: Eternal War - Retrieval
Deploy: Spearhead Assault

I lost objective placing but, as I knew I'd pick a side first, filled the more terrain-rich one with 2 objectives, while my opponent placed one on the middle and another at his right.

He started deploying stuff - the 7-man group and the wulfen inside the stormwolf, while the 2 big groups walked with the runepriest. Both named characters in reserve.

I spread my forces in my deploy zone, negating any deep strike area. 2 strike teams and fireblade on my left, pathfinders on the middle and another strike team (as the Ethereal) near them. Longstrike at the back mid. Both QFCs on reserve. Stealth suits infiltrate on ruins near the objective at my opponent's right.
I fail to seize. Right before he starts the game, I use vanguard and reposition 2 Pathfinders into cover.

SW - Turn 1
He moves up both 16-man groups and the psyker between them (advances both psyker and 1 group). The aircraft zooms by his right, just beside my stealth team.

He casts the cover power and smite on my suits, but deal only 1 mortal wound. I end up allocating it to the suits.

He shoots with the strong weapons at Longstrike, dealing 3 wounds, and with the bolters at my stealth team - killing only 1 drone.
One 16-man Bloodclaws group fires its bolt pistols at the stealth suits and manage to kill the wounded guy (2+ saves will disappoint you!).

He charges with the same group at the suits, killing another one. I don't even test morale, as they are Ld8.

T'au - Turn 1
Stealth Suits deploy their Homing Beacon and leave the combat, flying to the nearby objective (as a bait to avoid my left flank from falling). 1 QFC arrives near the flyer. Strike teams deploy their turrets. Drones move up to get enemies within 18". Pulse Accelerator Drones move up to allow Strike teams to be more killy. Ethereal activates re-roll 1s aura.

Fireblade lits up the Stormwolf. Longstrike promptly botches his 2+ re-rolling 1s vs the plane (2+ to hit will disappoint you!), but the SMS manage to leave a wound. QFC is much more efficient and deals 10 wounds. As the Bloodclaw unit is hidden from sight, strike teams and drones fire at the aircrat, finally killing it - it doesn't explode, but the people inside lose 1 wulfen and 2 bloodclaws!
On the right flank, only 2 bloodclaws die (even when they had 5 MLs!). Stealth suits fire at the hidden bloodclaw unit to no effect.

SW - Turn 2
Psyker and bloodclaws move up towards my right flank (didn't take the bait with the Stealth Suits), but they're slow. Wulfen and (now) 4-man Bloodclaws, as the big 16-man, walk up towards my left flank. Logan and Arjac arrive (due to my good positioning, they can't drop near anythihng but my QFC).

Runepriest again cast same powers, but now manage to deal 3 MW on the most advanced Pathfindes. 3 nearby drones valiantly give their lives for the Greater Good and are dispatched.

The bolt pistols from the nearby Bloodclaw group, however, can't be stopped and manage to end the lives of 3 pathfinders.
Arjac throws his hammer at one Strike team, taking a drone. The bolt pistols among the bloodclaws kill 2 fire warriors from that unit.

The left flank 16-man unit and Arjac charge my QFC; Logan and the 4-man charge his 2 drones; the Wulfen charge the (now) 10-man Strike team.
This was a mistake. Everything there was 6" of said team, so after the overwatch, only 1 Wulfen remained (but made the charge).
QFC takes 2 wounds from the 16-man group, but Arjac transforms him into pancake. Deceptively, I've allocated 2 (of 4) wounds from the 16-man group into the drones, removing Logan and the 4-man bloodclaws' target. Wulfen deals 3 wounds, which I give to nearby drones.

T'au - Turn 2
I move the Stealth Suits to the middle, hoping to deal with the runepriest (now exposed). Strike Team falls back from the Wulfen. Drones reposition to protect Fireblade or move to fire at bloodclaws. Warlord QFC deep strike as close as possible to the rune priest, but far from the bloodclaw unit.

Fireblade hits the wulfen with a markerlight. Pathfinders are less precise now and the 14-man bloodclaw unit at my right and the 4-man at my left get only 2 MLs each.
However, the shooting galore was quite efficient. The psyker dies to my Warlord QFC, while the stealth suits and my right flank kill 6 models from the 14-man group.
On the left, drones and Longstrike dispatch the last Wulfen and Firewarriors end the 4-man unit.

With only Logan, Arjac, a 16-man Bloodclaws and a 8-man Bloodclws unit, my opponent concedes.

---

Overall, I felt I had enough shooting to deal with MEQs - even with so little AP. It was a more satisfying and fun than my first 8e game (Necrons: 4x19 Warriors, 2x crypteks, 1x overlord, 1x heavy destroyer. That list took a beating from a similar SW list I fought with Tau, but it had a Land Raider instead of a Stormwolf).

The pulse accelerator drone didn't do much, as I had to just wait my enemy to come at me. The drones dying instead of my models helped a bunch.
Stealth Suits can handle some punch from basic troops!
QFCs are awesome!
Ethereal helped with the re-roll 1s aura, but makes the game too static.
Fireblade only shot MLs, but at 2+ (3+ vs the stormwolf) AND giving an extra shot at half range really helped.
Longstrike... maybe if I had another tank to enjoy his aura, but alone he didn't do much.

Atzilla
Shas'Saal

Re: T'au vs Space Wolves - 1500p - Fang and Fire

Post#2 » Jul 05 2017 03:10

Played vs Space Puppies in my first 8e game.
The Stormwulf/Stormfang Flyers are insanely strong in their Hellfrost+Dual Lasca+Quad Melta loadout.
One of them can and will remove Longstrike in the first turn.

Luckily the rest of their index is mediocre at best...

Belmail
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 05 2017 03:41

I find a lot of my lists using 2x commanders + Longstrike as my HQ base and I like it a lot, especially double QFC.

The only thing I would say is probably make Longstrike your Warlord, he's got a lot of wounds so the 6+FNP really benefits him. Plus the QFC can commonly have a short lifespan given their nature.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 05 2017 07:27

Belmail wrote:I find a lot of my lists using 2x commanders + Longstrike as my HQ base and I like it a lot, especially double QFC.

The only thing I would say is probably make Longstrike your Warlord, he's got a lot of wounds so the 6+FNP really benefits him. Plus the QFC can commonly have a short lifespan given their nature.

Yeah, noticed that the moment I wanted to cook the plane. Those wulfen and bloodclaws near my warlord wouldn't be too healthy!

Return to “Battle Reports”