Tau (Vior'la and T'au) vs Space Marines - 900 points

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Tau (Vior'la and T'au) vs Space Marines - 900 points

Post#1 » Jul 17 2017 05:58

Mission: Contact Lost

Why 900? Because I still don't have enough models so I used all I have + some from a friend and we didn't used detachments for the same reason. I also proxied some models. This was my first 8th ed. game and I enjoyed a lot. However, my forces was:

Commander: 4xFusion + 2x Gun drones

Cadre Fireblade

8 Firewarriors: Pulse rifles

8 Pathfinders: Carbines + Markerlights + Pulse Acc + Recon Drone

3 XV8 - 1: Burst + CIB + Target lock, 2 and 3: 2x Plasma + ATS

3 XV25: 3xBurst + Homing Beacon + Target lock.

Longstrike + SMS

Space marines landed with a Captain, 5 Terminators, 2x5 Tactical squad, Devastator squad and a Dreadnought.

I destroyed him. Even if he was winning through points because of some super lucky objectives he got, in the 6th turn he was tabled. He was first and deepstriked with the Terminators and Captain near my Longstrike and started to attack, but did just 1 damage. Since I had all of my three XV8 in Manta Hold jumped in the battle in the first turn to kill the terminators. I got five markers on them and shoot all of my army (Firewarriors and Fireblade shot 24 times since they were in Rapid Fire range). Even if my whole army shot at the Terminators I managed to kill only one. He made a big mistake so he continued to attack Longstrike and gave me the possibility to shot him with my Firewarriors, XV8, Pathfinders and Longstrike. I had a little bit of luck when the Dreadnought shot at Longstrike because he rolled a D6 and got just 1 damage.

In the meantime my Stealth was under heavy fire from his Devastator squad, but in good cover so he didn't managed to kill them. In turn three I jumped in the battle with the Commander using Homing Beacon to land 8" from him. There was a big debate around this rule because my friend wasn't sure it works like this. However I was right and managed to make 15 damage to the Dreadnought with my 4 Fusion Blaster commander. The next turn my drones shone and saved the Commander. A quick move and the XV25 and Commander was on the Devastator squad and wiped them out.

On the other side of the table my guys was firing, but mostly missing the Terminators so they needed whole 5 turns to kill them, while the Captain was slain by a heroic Firewarrior overwatch shot :D

The Firewarriors and Pathfinders left alive + Fireblade started to chase a tactical squad that was in good cover, while the Commander and the Stealth suits ran to kill the last tactical squad that was alive in his deployment zone. In turn 6 I managed to kill them and to destroy the bastion in which the last Marine was hidden and hoping to survive to see the game end. Hopefully he didn't survived and I won the game :D

Lessons learned:
- I need more Drones asap. They saved my Commander that later did a lots of Dakka.
- Longstrike is great, great, great.
- Commander with 4 Fusion Blaster is even more great.
- XV8 with the wargear I equipped them with super sucked against terminators. Can't wait to see them with other wargear options.
- Homing beacon is a powerful thingy, XV25 is also great.
- Markerlights, very difficult to get 5, will need a Tidewall for this.
- Most of the game I used just one Markerlight because rerolling 1's was really useful.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Tau (Vior'la and T'au) vs Space Marines - 900 points

Post#2 » Jul 17 2017 06:07

Studioworks wrote:I destroyed him.

Tau'va!

Studioworks wrote:Lessons learned:
- I need more Drones asap. They saved my Commander that later did a lots of Dakka.
- Longstrike is great, great, great.
- Commander with 4 Fusion Blaster is even more great.
- XV8 with the wargear I equipped them with super sucked against terminators. Can't wait to see them with other wargear options.
- Homing beacon is a powerful thingy, XV25 is also great.
- Markerlights, very difficult to get 5, will need a Tidewall for this.
- Most of the game I used just one Markerlight because rerolling 1's was really useful.

Looks like all great things to keep in mind! Always good to see people having good experience with Gun Drones, Fusion Commanders, and Longstrike. Keep the victories coming in!

Although, I don't think Tidewalls will be the way to go for Markerlights. Bring a few groups of Pathfinders, and embed Markerlights wherever you can- the odd Marker Drone in a Tactical Drones unit, a Fireblade, ans some Fire Warrior Shas'ui Markerlights will be excellent redundancy to 10-14 Pathfinders in a 2000pt list.

Great battle report!

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 17 2017 07:19

I really want to try the Droneport with 4 Marker drones and a Fireblade to shoot all the markers at bs2+. If a little bit lucky with the first shot (not a 1), then it's almost sure that there will be 5 markers.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 17 2017 07:24

Studioworks wrote:I really want to try the Droneport with 4 Marker drones and a Fireblade to shoot all the markers at bs2+. If a little bit lucky with the first shot (not a 1), then it's almost sure that there will be 5 markers.

Yeah they are reliable but also rather easy to kill for the opponent and for that a bit too expensive compared to Pathfinder imo.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jul 17 2017 07:29

Studioworks wrote:I really want to try the Droneport with 4 Marker drones and a Fireblade to shoot all the markers at bs2+. If a little bit lucky with the first shot (not a 1), then it's almost sure that there will be 5 markers.

This is true, but I think Panzer is right- those Drones will be easy to kill. Remember, they only get that BS2+ if they're detached from the Droneport, making them a tasty target indeed.

Shymer
Fio

Post#6 » Jul 17 2017 07:57

In a 1,000pt game, I had two primary markerlight sources - a 10 man Pathfinder team and 8 marker drones in a swarm supported by a Battlesuit-mounted drone controller. A fireblade and shas'ui markerlights provide options for adding a 'light to a target that has 4, or putting a 'light on a different target if I already have 5, for re-rolls.

I found no problem dropping five markers onto a target during the game. The main problem is which battlesuit unit to carry the Drone Controller.

If I bump the list up to 2,000pt, then I would consider a tertiary source of markerlights and maybe a fourth too. 80 points nets you a unit that can sit in cover at 36" and drop an average of five hits on a target - drop one hit on up to 5 targets (firing in pairs) or drown an enemy at reasonable range with S5 shots. It's nice to pair the marker drones with the Pathfinders too, to protect the fire warriors from incoming long-range fire - and the drones from being costlessly charged by enemy assault elements. Someone used to playing against Tau is also drawn to trying to kill markerlight sources early in the game, which does lead to a good chance they may ignore other models.

I do play leaning heavily on markerlights, though. Well done on your battle. It was a good read. Thanks for posting the report with pictures.
Shas’O Sa’cea Kar’Li Cal’Cha “Commander Fairlight”

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 17 2017 01:30

Panzer offers good advice here but if you insist on going with a droneport, consider using a firesight marksman and a DC nearby to the unit since this will also get you a 2+ but is cheaper on points though requiring a bubble effect to get it.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 17 2017 01:46

Yojimbob wrote:

Panzer offers good advice here but if you insist on going with a droneport, consider using a firesight marksman and a DC nearby to the unit since this will also get you a 2+ but is cheaper on points though requiring a bubble effect to get it.

That's actually a good idea. Never thought of using the Firesight Marksman together with the Droneport.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 17 2017 02:57

Panzer wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:

That's actually a good idea. Never thought of using the Firesight Marksman together with the Droneport.

"Good idea" I think we both agree is relative here since we both think that we'd rather take more models with shots than "protection" with the drone port. :P STRENGTH IN NUMBERS! Oh god, I feel Orkish...

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 17 2017 03:02

Haha definitely, but the more combinations we learn the better considering that point values can change all the time. :D

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 17 2017 04:03

Panzer wrote:Haha definitely, but the more combinations we learn the better considering that point values can change all the time. :D

Truth! If Sniper drones continue to suck but the price on firesight drops they MIGHT be a semi useful hidden light in the future. But currently hiding them on a droneport is the only thing I can think of besides them going with sniper drones. Yuck. :sad:

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jul 18 2017 01:43

Yojimbob wrote:
Panzer wrote:Haha definitely, but the more combinations we learn the better considering that point values can change all the time. :D

Truth! If Sniper drones continue to suck but the price on firesight drops they MIGHT be a semi useful hidden light in the future. But currently hiding them on a droneport is the only thing I can think of besides them going with sniper drones. Yuck. :sad:

Hah, just noticed why I didn't think about the Marksman before. He only buffs Sniper Drones, so the Markerlight Drones would only use his BS3+ without getting the +1 to-hit bonus from him. ;)

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 18 2017 08:02

Panzer wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:

Hah, just noticed why I didn't think about the Marksman before. He only buffs Sniper Drones, so the Markerlight Drones would only use his BS3+ without getting the +1 to-hit bonus from him. ;)

Right, but parking the drones near someone with a DC bumps their BS to 2+ which is what I was saying before. My apologies if that didn't come across correctly!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Jul 18 2017 10:42

Yojimbob wrote:Right, but parking the drones near someone with a DC bumps their BS to 2+ which is what I was saying before. My apologies if that didn't come across correctly!

True- but this requires even more logistics for four little Marker Drones. The Drones, the Tidewall, the Firesight Marksman, the Drone Controller, the units carrying the Drone Controller...

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jul 18 2017 10:52

Arka0415 wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:Right, but parking the drones near someone with a DC bumps their BS to 2+ which is what I was saying before. My apologies if that didn't come across correctly!

True- but this requires even more logistics for four little Marker Drones. The Drones, the Tidewall, the Firesight Marksman, the Drone Controller, the units carrying the Drone Controller...

That was indeed part of my disclaimer. It's cheaper but requires way more logistics and "playing" your list rather than sit back and chuck some dice.

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jul 19 2017 04:08

Just to finish the whole thing in style I played once more against the same opponent, but this time 750 points. After the second round he surrendered.

Tau forces:
Longstrike - Ion Canon + 2xSMS
Cadre Fireblade
Firewarriors - 8x Pulse rifle
Commander - 4x Fusion + 2 Gun drones
3 XV8 - 2x CIB + Counterfire, 2xFusion , 2xFusion + 2 Gun Drones

Space Marines forces:
2x5 Tactical squad
8xTerminators Bolt + Hammers
1xCaptain

Long story short I wiped out one of his tactical squads with Longstrike and decimated the other with Manta Striked Commander. Since the Commander was alone he deepstriked with the Terminators and the Captain to kill him. First he shot his Bolters in rapid fire but did just two damage with the help of drones. Then he failed two charge rolls.

I placed myself with the Commander out of his rapid fire and charge radius and shot with Fusions while the others was coming to aid him. Then we agreed that the battle is over because he didn't stand a chance.

What I wanted but didn't managed to:
- Try Ion Canon
- Try Counterfire on XV8
- Try Fusion on XV8
- Play without the aid of Pathfinders

Lessons learned:
- I can build a good list for 750 points, Space Marines not so much (or at least the guy with his models)
- Longstirke again proved his enormous value
- Commander again proved his value.
- I need more drones to aid the Commander.
- I need to buy at least one more Commanders :)

Return to “Battle Reports”