Gauche's Battle Report Thread | Updated 9/15/17

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Gauche
Shas'La
Shas'La

Gauche's Battle Report Thread | Updated 9/15/17

Post#1 » Jul 20 2017 04:04

Hello,

I maintain a thread with all my Battle Reports over on DakkaDakka but that also includes Ork games, so I figured it'd be a good idea to do one here just for my Tau games. Each of my Battle Reports is written with an optional post-game video, I've found that's a pretty good format. Whenever I play a new game I'll post it here with the date and update the Subject. Hopefully that works out, if not then please let me know what would be a better way. :]

Episode 48: Sometimes You Get Got (Tau vs. Raven Guard 2000 Points) - NEWEST 9/15/2017
Episode 40: Give Me Somethin' To Shoot (Tau vs. Chaos 2000 Points) [Tournament Preparation]
Episode 38: So THAT'S Why People Hate Tau (Tau vs Death Guard 2000 Points)
Episode 37: Shooting Is Pretty Fun! (Tau vs. Tyranids 1500 Points) [League Game]
Last edited by Gauche on Sep 15 2017 03:17, edited 4 times in total.

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Re: Gauche's Battle Report Thread

Post#2 » Jul 20 2017 11:11

7 commanders? Yeesh

Gauche
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Gauche's Battle Report Thread | Updated 7/23/17

Post#3 » Jul 23 2017 02:51

2000 Point game against Death Guard, quite popular in my meta. Warning: If you hate Commanders you may be triggered by this Battle Report.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 23 2017 03:51

I have nothing against commanders in general, but jesus-you have crossed a line there XD

This is sillier than 7th librarian spam.

And they are all identical to add insult to injury.

Having all the gun drones in a nutcase amount of 2-model units is interesting though, makes it really easy to get him to waste firepower (or just make targeting a nightmare, good luck drawing "closest target" firing lines on commanders with so many drones running around.)

I understand your list and why it works, but for the love of god I would not play against you, the game would just feel like a chore rather than anything enjoyable.

Gauche
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 23 2017 12:29

I understand completely, it's a very competitive list. As I talked about in the game I am working on a toned down version for more casual games. In general I let me opponent know what I'm taking and ask what kind of a game they way. :]

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 23 2017 05:00

It won't work well if you end up in a kill point game, though!

Gauche
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 23 2017 07:15

My meta plays the ITC Missions, I have very little love for 40K with the BRB Missions. Regardless of what army I play.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jul 24 2017 02:31

I must ask though, had you even tried 8th edition BRB missions before dissing them?

Especially with the new missions card thingies, they seem like they are going to spice it up a lot.

Gauche
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jul 24 2017 11:49

Yes I've played many games of both Eternal War and Maelstrom. They aren't balanced at all, they aren't intended to be. Maelstrom has too much RNG and requires a house rule where you can discard cards that you can't possibly achieve for free, i.e. kill a x thing but your opponent doesn't have it. Eternal War is the same as playing without a mission since you only score at the end of the game and usually one or both armies are decimated.

I'm a fairly competitively minded player so I find just attacking my opponent to be a bit boring and the game devolves into gunlines. Gotta make both players get out there and take ground! :]

Gauche
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Gauche's Battle Report Thread | Updated 8/4/17

Post#10 » Aug 05 2017 03:12

Another game versus Chaos, prepping for a tournament next week.

Gauche
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Gauche's Battle Report Thread | Updated 9/15/17

Post#11 » Sep 15 2017 03:17

Back after an absence (playing Orks) with a game against Raven Guard.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: Gauche's Battle Report Thread | Updated 9/15/17

Post#12 » Sep 17 2017 08:51

I've been scouring your main site and reading up on your tau exploits. They're quite fun from a reading perspective, and I like your writing style. Haven't had much time to watch the after action reviews, but I'm looking forward to those, as well.

I've been working on a more competitive mentality and list, but it sucks that there seems to only really be one or two seriously competitive builds for Tau. I've gone and read most of the Tau lists for the NOVA and BAO tournaments, and while there were some inventive builds, it seems that drone spam and commander spam are about the only thing to really work, and even then, drone spam seems to be a mid-tier list.

Looking at lists that put 150+ models on the board with 120 of them being conscripts, nothing we have other than CIB's and flamers put out enough dakka. Have you run into anyone willing to put that on the table to experiment with? Or with the new DG imminent, a full-on competitive DG list designed with the same mentality as yours?
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Return to “Battle Reports”