Steg's Sa'cea Septs battles

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Steg's Sa'cea Septs battles

Post#1 » Jul 30 2017 10:29

Here is my first 1k battle report.

I know it is appreciated to get the whole report in here but due my time working on stuff I just want to make it just once so just keep it with a link here

https://wargamingbysks.wordpress.com/20 ... -heretics/

and a link to my first game with some model progress

https://wargamingbysks.wordpress.com/20 ... irst-game/

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Re: Steg's Sa'cea Septs battles

Post#2 » Aug 04 2017 01:43

My first Fate of Konor campaign battle (week 1)

https://wargamingbysks.wordpress.com/20 ... astaramis/

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 15 2018 04:30

From the team tournament (19-11-2017) 1k each player, teamed with a Imperial Knight list:

first game(loss): versus Admech / SM with Celestine, we just got nerfed with the objectives.. none in the first turn were obtainable and after that we just were on the back foot and unlucky to be able to catch up.

second game(loss): versus Admech (lots of robots) / Space woofies, didn't get the first turn and got shot off the table by really hot dice.. Lone Wolf from space woofies returned 4!!! times after killing it.. also locking up an entire quadrant

third game(win): versus Harlequins, on kill points it was an even game but we managed to get Linebreaker in and they failed to get it on 1,5"
Fun tournament all considered!

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 15 2018 04:32

test game pre-tournament (12-12-2017)

So I played my practise game versus a Craftworlds army

He had:

Some warlord (didn't really see him in action only with 1 smite)
2 Spiritseer

3 Wave Serpents
1x 5 Swooping Hawks
1x 6 Swooping Hawks
2x 10 Guardian Squad (or maybe Black Guardians)
2x 5 Rangers

also this is the battle pack for the tournament and we played the first one as practise (Supply)
Spoiler!
Rulespack – Warhammer 40k tournament, 17 December
Battleforged army 1000 points 1 detachment.
• If you manifest a psychic power on a roll of double 6 you cannot use a command point to reroll. Suffer the peril fool!
**Rule change dubble 6 is no rerolls from any source**

Bring enough dice, a tape measure and a printed version of your army. Handwritten army lists will not be accepted.

Timetable
9.00 - 9.30 Registration
9.30 - 12.00 Mission 1
12.00 - 12.30 Break time
12.30 - 15.00 Mission 2
15.00 - 17.30 Mission 3
17.45 Prizes
If at any time everyone has finished their games, the timetable will move forward and we may end earlier.
Each mission has it’s own scoring system. There are also extra points to be earnt in each mission. See the Extra points section for more information.

This tournament is all about fun, there will be no prizes for best painted.

Mission 1
Supply
The armies
The Battlefield
The Battlefield terrain on the table remains as it is, no changing or rearranging the terrain.
Next the players set up 6 objective markers as follows. The players roll off and starting with the highest score, the players alternate placing three objective markers until all six have been placed.
The objective markers can be placed anywhere on the battlefield as long as they are 6” distance from the edge of the battlefield and all are placed 12” apart from each other.
Deployment
The player who placed the sixth objective marker determines which of the standard deployment maps is used in the battle (see rulebook). Remember you have to roll a D6 to determine the deployment map.
The players then alternate deploying their units one at a time, starting with the player who did not pick the deployment map. Continue setting up units until both sides have finished.
First turn
The players roll off and the players who finished their deployment first adds 1 to their result.
The winner can choose to take the first or second turn, if they take the first turn their opponent can roll a D6 to seize the initiative, on a roll of a 6 they will get the first turn.
Supplies
At the start of the second turn, roll a D6. The number rolled is the corresponding objective marker, this marker is worth 3 points if a player controls it at the end of the turn. All other objectives are worth 0 points. Proceed with rolling a D6 at the start of each turn to see which objective is worth points. Side note : you cannot spend a CP to reroll this D6.
Battle length
At the end of battle round 5 the player who had the first turn rolls a D6. On a roll of 3+, the game continues for another round, otherwise the game ends. After battle round 6 the game ends.
Victory conditions
At the end of the last battle round, all other objectives are worth 1 point and the supply objective is worth 3 points. The player with the most points wins the battle.
A player controls an objective if there are no enemy units within 3” of that objective marker. If both players have a unit controlling the same objective marker it is a tie and you will get 0 points for that objective.
Duration of battle
2 hours 30 minutes

Mission 2
Defend your home base
The armies
The Battlefield
The Battlefield terrain on the table remains as it is, no changing or rearranging the terrain.
Deployment
The players roll off and the winner determines which of the standard deployment maps is used in the battle (see rulebook) remember you have to roll a D6 to determine the deployment map.
After determining the deployment map, the players set up their home base. Mark a 8” x 8” field in your deployment zone, this will be your home base.
The players then alternate deploying their units one at a time, starting with the player who did not pick the deployment map. Continue setting up units until both sides have finished.
First turn
The players roll off and the player who finished their deployment first, adds 1 to their result.
The winner can choose to take the first or second turn, if they take the first turn their opponent can roll a D6 to seize the initiative. On a roll of a 6 they will get the first turn.
Defending your home bases
Starting from round 1, if you control your own home base you will score 1 point. If at any time you lose control of your home base, the opposing player will get 3 points.
Losing your home base can happen in two ways. You forgot to control it by putting a unit within the 8” x 8” area or your enemy has captured your home base. Any unit can control the home base except monsters.
Battle length
At the end of battle round 5, the player who had the first turn rolls a D6. On a roll of 3+, the game continues for another round, otherwise the game ends. After battle round 6 the game ends.
Victory conditions
At the end of the battle count up all your points. The player with the most points wins the battle.
Duration of battle
2 hours 30 minutes

Mission 3
Sealed orders
The armies
The Battlefield
Next the players set up 6 objective markers as follows. The players roll off and starting with the winner, the players alternate placing three objective markers until all six have been placed.
The objective markers can be placed anywhere on the battlefield as long as they are 6” from the edge of the battlefield and all are placed 12”apart from each other.
Deployment
The player who placed the sixth objective marker determines which of the standard deployment maps is used in the battle(see rulebook) remember you have to roll a D6 to determine the map.
The players then alternate deploying there units one at a time, starting with the player who did not pick the deployment map. Continue setting up units until both sides have finished deploying.
First turn
The players roll off and the player who finished their deployment first, adds 1 to their result.
The winner can choose to take the first or second turn, if they take the first turn their opponent can roll a D6 to seize the initiative. On a roll of a 6 they will get the first turn.
Tactical objectives
This mission uses tactical objectives, at the start of each players first turn they generate 6 tactical objectives, if at the start of a players turn they have no tactical objectives remaining, they must generate new ones. If you run out of objectives you generate 5 new ones, the second time you run out you generate 4 new ones and so on. ( You generate up to 6 tactical objectives a turn)
Secret orders
In this mission only reveal your tactical objective when you achieve them.
Battle length
At the end of battle round 5 the player who had the first turn rolls a D6. On a 3+ the game continues for another round otherwise the game ends. After battle round 6 the game ends.
Victory conditions
At the end of the battle count all your points. The player with the most points wins the battle
Battle duration
2 hours 30 minutes

Extra points
In every mission, extra points can be earnt.
Slay the warlord. Score one point if you kill the opposing warlord. (Both sides can score)
First blood. The first unit of any kind to be destroyed is worth 1 point for the player who killed it.
Linebreaker. If at the end of the battle you have at least one model within the enemy deployment zone, score 1 point.

My deployment was:
Commander an Crisis in Manta hold

pathfinders in building (Mistake 1) should have deployed them behind and if I got first turn then I should vanguard them in.. now they got shot turn 1 (failed with +1 and failed to seize)
FB stealthsuits half way on the right flank on an objective.. behind a building from the wave serpents, 2 of them had the guardian squads in them and a spiritseer and warlord.. they have fly and a pretty solid move :(
Homing beacon stealthsuits in the middle behind a building threatening a unit of rangers and a spiritseer
Keel half way on the left flank threatening the other unit of rangers
Coldstar center behind a building to move him somewhere I wanted.
His 2 units of swooping hawks in deep strike.

I think my deployment was to dispersed though I could nicely offset his rangers, in my turn they all died together with the spiritseer.

All in all I had bad luck in the supply objective being none I had close by and he had several with a unit close by.. My Pathfinders were his First Blood.

Bad luck with the Fusion damage rolls all game.. Target Lock was good though especially as my ML unit was wiped turn 1.

Crisis suits were good on the deep strike.. but to kill the Spiritseer (1 wound left after my Drones could fire on him as the flamers took care of the rangers) I needed to charge in the Crisis suits.. but they left the drones behind.. even though my opponent killed those drones off anyway before Protocols.. it didn't feel good to have the crisis open.. and with flamers anyway they were not going to be very effective next turn anyway..

2 units of Stealthsuits feel to much durability to little firepower.. the one Fusion Blaster unit took 2 full turns of fire power of most wave serpents and a swooping hawk unit to be wiped out.. So that was good, but the output of 8 or 12 burst canon shots feels short coming.. the 1 Fusion didn't do much either (turn 1 only overwatch missed and my turn even forgot him.. DOH) then he got smited to death..

Relic didn't give me any new CP's.. Trait of Kayon didn't help me either.. back to 6+ fnp

Coldstar was usefull with his amount of shots and -1 AP and his movement made sure I got at least some points down.. but also left him vulnerable.

Fusionmander was ok bar the damage output.. double 3.. double 2, 1 and 2.. and when I got 7 (1, 2 and 4 on 3 dice) he had 7 wounds on a wave serpent and voila.. 1 dice on 6.. grmmbll.. he killed only 1 of the 3 Wave Serpents.. one stuck on 1 wound and the third had 6 wounds left. End of turn 5 he was my only survivor.

I feel I want to swap 1 unit of stealthsuits for something else.. but not sure how to rebuild this list.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 15 2018 04:33

1k tournament (19-12-2017)

So I went with the 6 Fire Warriors Strike Team and 6 pathfinders and the 2x Flamer + 1 Fusion build for the Crisis suits.
Army lists from my opponent from memory.. that might be a bit incomplete / inaccurate

Game 1 vs Death Guard and some Cultists
Deployment 3 Search and Destroy

Typhus
Some sorcerer
2x 10 Cultists
1x 10 Poxwalkers
2x Foetid Bloat-drone
1 Hellbrute

Got first turn and boxed him in with the Stealth team on one side and the Ghostkeel on the other side with infiltrate
Flamers went to work on the cultist leaving 2 alive (cp's used to keep them around), Fusion damaged 1 bloat drone, TFC damaged the other bloat drone. Keel took out some cultists with the burstcannons from the other group and they lost more on morale also leaving 2 while the CIR took down the hellbrute in 1 go. After that it was a pretty even battle, but I had a bit more luck on his last objective as it turned out in my deployment and he didn't have the resources to reach it.. otherwise it would have ended in a draw. I got first blood for 1 point, he got Slay the Warlord as I needed to rack up 3 more points and opened him up to be shot and charged. I failed to get Linebreaker by my own mistake when I moved my Ghostkeel back just out of his deployment zone instead of deeper (and also away from his troops) in it.. Otherwise I would have won with 4 points difference. And the point table was 1 step per 2 points.. so now I got 1 step instead of 2.
10-10 (start and draw result)
12-8 (1 step with 2 points difference)
14-6 (etc)

Game 2 vs Death Guard (Nurgle seems to love fighting T'au)
Deployment 3 Search and Destroy (again)

Typhus
Some sorcerer
Either the Tallyman or the surgeon
2x 6 Plague Marines
1x 10 Poxwalkers
1 Foetid Bloat-drone
1 Plagueburst Crawler

As this was defend the home base I deployed the base behind a building out of sight with my firewarriors in it and most of the game my Coldstar Commander.. 2 units in it if the mortar would kill off my firewarriors I would give 3 points away then and there otherwise.
Again I boxed him in but leaving the Keel more out of it at the start of the game (hidden behind a building). Used the stealth team to set the Crawler locked in combat (weathering his 2 flamers that I otherwise would have taken anyway in his turn) and managed to do so as he rolled not very best on them. Forcing him to retreat in his turn making the distance to far to bomb my home base :)
Eventually I got him pinned down in that zone, but wasn't able to push him off the home base and he couldn't reach mine so both 1 point per turn, I got First blood and didn't forget to take Linebreaker so a win with 2 points difference (12-8)

3rd game vs.. well you may only guess once.. yes Death Guard
Deployment 2 Dawn of War

Nurgle Daemon Prince
Foul Blightspawn
Chaos Lord
3x 6 Plague Marines
1 Foetid Bloat-drone
1x 3 Deathshroud Bodyguard (well the models.. could be also the normal Terminators)

Not much to tell here.. Maelstrom objectives were against me, my dice were against me and his dice also :( I managed to kill 1 of the Bodyguard/ Terminators with 3/4th of my shooting.. afterwards it was better to just ignore them after they made their turn 1 deep strike and managed to get the 9" charge on my pathfinders, with their 4"movement and half advance. But I dropped in my crisis and Fusion commander all in there to try and get rid of them.. Giving the Prince, Bloat drone and the Foul Blightspawn with it's sick flamer the chance to move in and box me in.. in Turn 4 while trying to avoid most of his models (bar the plague marines that just held the 3 objectives in/near his deployment zone) I conceded with only 1 stealth drone left, 2 Fire Warriors and my Warlord the Coldstar Commander. Already down about 16 points versus 3.

In the end I became 4th out of 12 participants

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Jan 15 2018 05:18

Man, that's a lot of Death Guard! It looks like you did well though. Were any of them running Poxwalkers for the Cloud of Flies + Walking Pox combo?

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 15 2018 07:38

Arka0415 wrote:Man, that's a lot of Death Guard! It looks like you did well though. Were any of them running Poxwalkers for the Cloud of Flies + Walking Pox combo?

Not that I noticed no.. But as you can tell (maybe) the first 2 lists were not real competative builds.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 15 2018 07:43

StealthKnightSteg wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Man, that's a lot of Death Guard! It looks like you did well though. Were any of them running Poxwalkers for the Cloud of Flies + Walking Pox combo?

Not that I noticed no.. But as you can tell (maybe) the first 2 lists were not real competative builds.

Honestly the first list looks like a netlist that wasn't used correctly. If the DG player had used Cloud of Flies to make the Poxwalkers untargetable and then hid them behind the Cultists, they'd absorb all of the casualties and swell into a 30-strong mob of S7/T5 monsters. That would probably be able to mop up the Stealthsuits and Ghostkeel for nothing.

Like most DG lists though they all look a little short on ranged firepower, easy to skirmish away from.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 15 2018 07:51

Arka0415 wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:

Honestly the first list looks like a netlist that wasn't used correctly. If the DG player had used Cloud of Flies to make the Poxwalkers untargetable and then hid them behind the Cultists, they'd absorb all of the casualties and swell into a 30-strong mob of S7/T5 monsters. That would probably be able to mop up the Stealthsuits and Ghostkeel for nothing.

Like most DG lists though they all look a little short on ranged firepower, easy to skirmish away from.

Well it was his idea to use the cultist as fodder for the Poxwalkers, but I don't believe he ever made the poxwalker untargetable.. But I do believe that the ruling during the tournament was also that they can't absorb from the cultists. I believe the wording on the "making a new poxwalker" ability is that they have to make the kill themselfs in combat.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Jan 15 2018 07:59

StealthKnightSteg wrote:Well it was his idea to use the cultist as fodder for the Poxwalkers, but I don't believe he ever made the poxwalker untargetable.. But I do believe that the ruling during the tournament was also that they can't absorb from the cultists. I believe the wording on the "making a new poxwalker" ability is that they have to make the kill themselfs in combat.

There's a stratagem that allows the Poxwalkers to absorb any casualty within 7". Incredible synergy with that, Cultists, and Characters- make it so the only targetable unit is the Cultists, but if they're shot, they just come back as Poxwalkers. Either you shoot the Cultists and make new, stronger Poxwalkers, or you do nothing. Tough situation.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jan 15 2018 08:04

Arka0415 wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:Well it was his idea to use the cultist as fodder for the Poxwalkers, but I don't believe he ever made the poxwalker untargetable.. But I do believe that the ruling during the tournament was also that they can't absorb from the cultists. I believe the wording on the "making a new poxwalker" ability is that they have to make the kill themselfs in combat.

There's a stratagem that allows the Poxwalkers to absorb any casualty within 7". Incredible synergy with that, Cultists, and Characters- make it so the only targetable unit is the Cultists, but if they're shot, they just come back as Poxwalkers. Either you shoot the Cultists and make new, stronger Poxwalkers, or you do nothing. Tough situation.

Now that you mention it with the stratagem he did use that, but because I had first turn I already wiped out most of his cultist before he was able to do so.

Gather
Shas

Post#12 » Jan 15 2018 08:21

I've always looked at those tournaments that limit the number of Detachments and feel the obsessive need to make a list that might not work but flies in the face of the spirit of the limitation. 1000 points and 1 Detachment? Supreme Command. 5 Commanders, and 1 unit of Stealth Suits. You can't tell us T'au what to do.

Sucks about the third game though; I've hated Maelstorm because of how reliant it is on drawing the right cards.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#13 » Jan 15 2018 08:22

StealthKnightSteg wrote:Now that you mention it with the stratagem he did use that, but because I had first turn I already wiped out most of his cultist before he was able to do so.

Yeah, going first really kills it. It's if DG get the first turn that things get crazy. The surefire way to beat it is to use Flamer XV8s to kill the cultists, then go for a kill on the Poxwalkers on the same turn. Remember to kill the Cultists down to the last model though, since Tide of Traitors is incredible.

Honestly, DG stratagems are some of the best in the game. Let's hope we get something half as good.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jan 15 2018 08:56

Arka0415 wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:Now that you mention it with the stratagem he did use that, but because I had first turn I already wiped out most of his cultist before he was able to do so.

Yeah, going first really kills it. It's if DG get the first turn that things get crazy. The surefire way to beat it is to use Flamer XV8s to kill the cultists, then go for a kill on the Poxwalkers on the same turn. Remember to kill the Cultists down to the last model though, since Tide of Traitors is incredible.

Honestly, DG stratagems are some of the best in the game. Let's hope we get something half as good.

Well I hope I won't have to see DG for a while though :) I had my fill of them for a while..
Tomorrow evening I'll be up against another Craftworld list.. casual game at 1500 points

Return to “Battle Reports”