Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
knute
Shas'Saal
Posts: 136

Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#1 » Jul 31 2017 08:59

In a bit of optimistic news, four T'au Empire players placed in the top 20 at the Bay Area Open this past weekend, one of them finishing 4th. The lists are available on the "Best Coast Pairings" app. The The 4th place list ran a good mix of drones, pathfinders, strike teams, stealth suits, crisis suits, and commanders. The other lists were more commander heavy (one of them running 9 commanders, a bunch of strike teams, and some drones). Notably absent from the 4th place list was the Y'vahra. Reading some of the reports it looks like the suit didn't do so well because it generally got wiped from the table turn one or two.

All in all it looks like T'au are doing fine, we just do fine in different ways than we used to.

User avatar
Glarblar
Shas'Saal
Posts: 266

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#2 » Jul 31 2017 09:44

now a question: in those tournaments, are the players running XV8s as commanders, or are they running the 'GW Commander' $50 box set?

User avatar
ladyfish
Shas
Posts: 16

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#3 » Jul 31 2017 10:12

so that matters if they are?

FYI , when I started the Crisis box is the commander box, so are they not valid now?

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#4 » Jul 31 2017 10:15

No, it doesn't matter at all.

Jorthax
Shas
Posts: 16

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#5 » Jul 31 2017 12:24

Surely Y'vahra just needed 8 or so drones around her which we would take anyway to help her move up field? Or do they just get shot out first and then she's vulnerable?

She just wrecks so much face up close.

Is the first MW worth it to redeploy her and remove her from being shot for a turn?

knute
Shas'Saal
Posts: 136

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#6 » Jul 31 2017 12:52

Jorthax wrote:Surely Y'vahra just needed 8 or so drones around her which we would take anyway to help her move up field? Or do they just get shot out first and then she's vulnerable?

She just wrecks so much face up close.

Is the first MW worth it to redeploy her and remove her from being shot for a turn?


Isn't the Y'vahra a vehicle?

User avatar
Glarblar
Shas'Saal
Posts: 266

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#7 » Jul 31 2017 01:07

ladyfish wrote:so that matters if they are?

FYI , when I started the Crisis box is the commander box, so are they not valid now?


I just want to know for curiosity sake. I remember back when we had Shas'el and Shas'o, back before Vespids came about as well.

lol, even back before the XV8's had their ankles reinforced. Those were a pain to transport...

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#8 » Jul 31 2017 01:12

knute wrote:
Jorthax wrote:Surely Y'vahra just needed 8 or so drones around her which we would take anyway to help her move up field? Or do they just get shot out first and then she's vulnerable?

She just wrecks so much face up close.

Is the first MW worth it to redeploy her and remove her from being shot for a turn?


Isn't the Y'vahra a vehicle?

No. lol
It's a Battlesuit just as any other Riptide variant.

Jorthax
Shas
Posts: 16

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#9 » Aug 01 2017 04:01

I need to check the lists really but I'm not a fan of installing lots of apps. Did the Y'vahra lists not possess any other threats?

T1 -> Go to the skies - 1MW
T2 -> Drop down, can only fire 1/2 guns (drop near drones that moved forward?)
T3 -> Advance and melt

Is this just too long in the game?
Shouldn't a self damage point allow her to move on the return (I know the recent FAQ killed this hope)

knute
Shas'Saal
Posts: 136

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#10 » Aug 01 2017 08:24

Spikey Bits did a story on it. Here's the link:

https://spikeybits.com/2017/07/bao-top- ... s-tau.html

It includes the lists of the top two finalists, as well as a video bat rep. I like that the top Tau player's list is a relatively balanced list of commanders, drones, stealth suits, crisis suits, fire warriors and pathfinders. I haven't watched the video yet, but the Guard list looks absolutely brutal. I'm not sure how we're supposed to chew through that many conscripts backed up by commissars.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#11 » Aug 01 2017 08:49

Heh, I like that T'au list. It's pretty much the kind of list I like to play just with more Commander and less bling on the units (like Pathfinder Rail Rifles). :D
The AM list is as expected. I mean it doesn't even look like a particularly cheesy list....it's just as how one would expect an AM list to look like.

User avatar
Maxwell
Shas'Saal
Posts: 82

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#12 » Aug 01 2017 08:51

How has that competitive group taken forgeworld stuff? It seems they’re accepted in most tournaments now? And I haven’t seen any significant reference to them being “OP”

User avatar
Rogue Sun
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 160

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#13 » Aug 01 2017 08:03

Haha, yeah, 6 commanders is a "balanced" Tau list...smh.

Commanders are gonna get hit with a nerf bat so hard...

User avatar
thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal
Posts: 137

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#14 » Aug 01 2017 08:45

Rogue Sun wrote:Haha, yeah, 6 commanders is a "balanced" Tau list...smh.

Commanders are gonna get hit with a nerf bat so hard...


I honestly disagree, from what we are seeing both in the space marine book and the GK and CSM teasers they will use stratagems and factions bonuses to let you tailor your play style.

User avatar
Glarblar
Shas'Saal
Posts: 266

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#15 » Aug 02 2017 09:05

thesnailmaster wrote:
Rogue Sun wrote:Haha, yeah, 6 commanders is a "balanced" Tau list...smh.

Commanders are gonna get hit with a nerf bat so hard...


I honestly disagree, from what we are seeing both in the space marine book and the GK and CSM teasers they will use stratagems and factions bonuses to let you tailor your play style.


I also agree. I don't think commanders will be nerfed. But rather the Keyword: "XV8 Crisis Battlesuits" and "XV8 Crisis Bodyguards" Will have stratagems or special rules attached to them to make them far more enticing than they are now.

I find it to be a good thing that we are seeing lists dominated by Commanders, Y'vahras, and Drones so that GW knows which units to buff in line.

User avatar
deathboon
Shas'Saal
Posts: 208

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#16 » Aug 02 2017 10:52

Anyone else watch the recording of the 4th place players last game? He not only participates in the assault phase, it was a key part of his anti horde strategy. He charges a crisis team a couple commanders and a bunch of drones into an infantry horde and bubble wraps the enemy unit blocking it from falling back. This preventing all of his charging models from being fired upon in his opponents turn, and allowing him to fallback and shoot on his turn.

User avatar
Glarblar
Shas'Saal
Posts: 266

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#17 » Aug 02 2017 11:06

deathboon wrote:Anyone else watch the recording of the 4th place players last game? He not only participates in the assault phase, it was a key part of his anti horde strategy. He charges a crisis team a couple commanders and a bunch of drones into an infantry horde and bubble wraps the enemy unit blocking it from falling back. This preventing all of his charging models from being fired upon in his opponents turn, and allowing him to fallback and shoot on his turn.


I did the same thing with a lemon russ: 1 Crisis team from the back, 1 riptide, and 1 squad of drones.

It felt like a 'get out of jail free card' b/c the lemon can't hit crap

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2188

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#18 » Aug 02 2017 11:12

Glarblar wrote:
deathboon wrote:Anyone else watch the recording of the 4th place players last game? He not only participates in the assault phase, it was a key part of his anti horde strategy. He charges a crisis team a couple commanders and a bunch of drones into an infantry horde and bubble wraps the enemy unit blocking it from falling back. This preventing all of his charging models from being fired upon in his opponents turn, and allowing him to fallback and shoot on his turn.


I did the same thing with a lemon russ: 1 Crisis team from the back, 1 riptide, and 1 squad of drones.

It felt like a 'get out of jail free card' b/c the lemon can't hit crap


Absolutely. It may be a counter-intuitive strategy, but it's a good one.

Just remember, the things you charge can hit back, so charging into a squad of Aggressors might be a good way to tie them up, but... you'll take a pounding. :-(

Return to “Battle Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Shas' berries and 2 guests