Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau take 4th at the Bay Area Open

Post#19 » Aug 02 2017 02:26

deathboon wrote:Anyone else watch the recording of the 4th place players last game? He not only participates in the assault phase, it was a key part of his anti horde strategy. He charges a crisis team a couple commanders and a bunch of drones into an infantry horde and bubble wraps the enemy unit blocking it from falling back. This preventing all of his charging models from being fired upon in his opponents turn, and allowing him to fallback and shoot on his turn.

This might be a silly question but how “surrounded” does one have to be before you can’t fall back. Especially with oval bases...what if the unit would fit out but can’t because it can’t rotate to fit out? I may be overthinking?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Aug 02 2017 02:29

Maxwell wrote:
deathboon wrote:Anyone else watch the recording of the 4th place players last game? He not only participates in the assault phase, it was a key part of his anti horde strategy. He charges a crisis team a couple commanders and a bunch of drones into an infantry horde and bubble wraps the enemy unit blocking it from falling back. This preventing all of his charging models from being fired upon in his opponents turn, and allowing him to fallback and shoot on his turn.

This might be a silly question but how “surrounded” does one have to be before you can’t fall back. Especially with oval bases...what if the unit would fit out but can’t because it can’t rotate to fit out? I may be overthinking?

Enough so the enemy can't get out of the 1" zone of each and every model of yours.

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Aug 02 2017 02:55

Rogue Sun wrote:Haha, yeah, 6 commanders is a "balanced" Tau list...smh.

Commanders are gonna get hit with a nerf bat so hard...

I don't think they're going to be hit with the nerf bat so much as refocused as a model. My money is on Commanders having a different role with access to Relics and Signature Systems that normal Crisis Suits can't take.

The problem isn't that Commanders are broken, it's they're just better at the job of being a deep-striking weapons platform than Crisis Suits. Change their role away from that, and it's not going to be as much of a problem anymore. I could see something like Commanders going to 3 Weapon/Support Hardpoints and 1 Support Hardpoint and then bringing back concepts like Puretide Engram, etc. Make Commanders into something that actually supports the rest of the army, because, I'm sorry, Kauyon and Montka don't really pay the bills in the same way that a Space Marine Captain's Rites of Battle does.

Anyway, when that happens, Crisis Suits become more attractive just be default and nothing has necessarily been nerfed, especially if the Commanders have legit abilities that actually prop up Crisis Teams.

Also, as an aside, I could see the Supreme Command Detachment being nerfed to not award a Command Point.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Aug 02 2017 03:11

I don't think we should get our hopes up for such big remodeling of units lol
What likely happens is that Crisis Suits will get cheaper and Commander a bit more expensive so it doesn't matter as much anymore whether you take a unit of Crisis or a Commander.
And then the obvious addition of Artefacts and Warlord Traits for HQs which may or may not include more aura effects but also the Iridium armor I bet.

Megildur
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Aug 03 2017 10:47

The story the did of the battle was pretty cool, but even cooler was that Tau board! Did someone make those scenery pieces? The look store bought! Anybody know if I can buy them somewhere?

https://spikeybits.com/2017/07/bao-top-table-imperial-guard-vs-tau.html

Kruso
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Aug 05 2017 09:17

Megildur wrote:The story the did of the battle was pretty cool, but even cooler was that Tau board! Did someone make those scenery pieces? The look store bought! Anybody know if I can buy them somewhere?

https://spikeybits.com/2017/07/bao-top-table-imperial-guard-vs-tau.html

It's made out of pink foam. They said so in Frontline Gamings stream of the game. Even showed the underside of one of the pieces, which still had some pink showing.
-Heresy grows from idleness-

Return to “Battle Reports”