Battle Reflections: Tau vs. SM + AdMech, 3000pts

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Battle Reflections: Tau vs. SM + AdMech, 3000pts

Post#1 » Aug 13 2017 05:28

This is less of a full battle report, and more of a "lessons learned" post in the guise of a battle report. Today I played a 3000pt Konor game against a mixed Space Marines - Adeptus Mechanicus army. It wasn't 1v2, the army was fully mixed. My army was bizarrely comprised of various Tau units that other players lent me so we could play such a large game, so I had a weird list. Here are the rough lists and outline of the battle.

-

Lists:

Imperium:
1 SM Captain
3 Lieutenants
15 Intercessors
5 Hellblasters
3 Rievers
1 Primaris Dreadnought
Belisarius Cawl
4 Kastellans
2 Datasmiths
2 Dunecrawlers
~10 Assorted AdMech infantry (?)
5 AdMech sniper infantry (?)
5 AdMech deep strike infantry (?)
1 Imperial Knight

Tau:
3 Commanders w/ Drones
1 Fireblade
Longstrike
~40 Fire Warriors
2 Devilfish
6 XV8s w/ Drones
1 Ghostkeel
6 Stealthsuits
~15 Pathfinders
2 Piranhas
2 Hammerheads

Battle:
The Tau went first, and with Fusion Blasters and Railguns easily brought down the Knight and one Dunecrawler. The Imperium return shooting knocked out both Piranhas and one squad of Pathfinders. Reivers and AdMech deep strikers set up behind Tau lines but failed their charges. On Tau turn two, the battlesuits advanced, destroying two Kastellans and the Dreadnought, and leaving a Dunecrawler with five wounds remaining; the Fire Warriors turned around and shot the ensure deep-strikers into oblivion. The Imperium shot back, wounding a Commander with sniper fire and destroying a Devilfish- otherwise all firepower was pointed into the Stealthsuits in cover which did nothing. On Tau turn three, the last Dunecrawler and Kastellans were destroyed and the SM Captain was killed, along with 5 Intercessors.

With the bulk of the Imperial units destroyed and the Tau army largely unscathed, the Imperium conceded before their turn 3.

Outcome:
Tau victory by conceit, score 12-9.

-

Here are my observations from the battle.

1. The Imperium player, upon learning I was playing Tau, changed his Chapter Tactics from Salamanders to Raven Guard. Very annoying and unsportsmanlike, but not illegal. This blunted a lot of my shooting so I focused on the AdMech units first.

2. The Knight died hard. It wasn't hard to kill at all, which was nice.

3. Raven Guard Primaris Marines in cover are very hard to kill.

4. Longstrike and Hammerheads are reliable, but easily countered with Invulnerable saves. Missile Pod Commanders and CIB-equipped XV8s rip right through units with Invulnerable saves though.

5. I borrowed other players' units and used them WYSIWYG- bad idea. XV8s with 2xPR+MT are terrible, as are Commanders with 2xFB+MT+SG.

6. The Ghostkeel was pretty cool! As soon as my opponent heard about its defensive abilities, they ignored it for the whole game. It was still expensive with lackluster shooting though.

7. XV8s with CIBs are amazing- heavy firepower and good range made for seriously good results. Definitely my favorite XV8 weapon.

8. Seeker Missiles, Rail Rifles, and Smart Missile Systems all proved to be effective, valuable, and useful weaopons.

9. Lastly, I guess it's easy to make opponents concede with Tau? My last three games have been victories by conciet, by turn 3 or 4. Maybe there's just something demoralizing about playing against Tau?

-

Anyway, those are my observations! What do you think?

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Battle Reflections: Tau vs. SM + AdMech, 3000pts

Post#2 » Aug 13 2017 06:01

Great report!

I hear more and more good things about the xv25's. Seeing them beign such survivable units from regular infatry fire makes my interest peak towards stelth units. It's unfortunate to hear that the 'keel still lacks in firepower (at least that base BS3+ would have been nice).

Did you field the firewarriors with the cadre blade all in one blob? How did it played? I am currently thinking on building an infantry heavy army with at least 32 strikers (and later on 20 breachers). Is one fireblade enough to provide his buff most of the units? How do you position him?

Thanks!
Cheers!
Nix

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Aug 13 2017 06:24

Your welcome!

nix0n wrote:I hear more and more good things about the xv25's. Seeing them beign such survivable units from regular infatry fire makes my interest peak towards stelth units. It's unfortunate to hear that the 'keel still lacks in firepower (at least that base BS3+ would have been nice).

They were... interesting. They soaked a truly obscene amount of firepower- 3 models survived unscathed against two Kastellans which were able to fire four times each per shooting phase! However, the only targets they could shoot at were Raven Guard Primaris Marines in cover, which are equally obscenely durable. So the Stealthsuits actually killed only one model for the whole game! They took so much firepower in return though that I'd say it was worth it.

nix0n wrote:Did you field the firewarriors with the cadre blade all in one blob? How did it played? I am currently thinking on building an infantry heavy army with at least 32 strikers (and later on 20 breachers). Is one fireblade enough to provide his buff most of the units? How do you position him?
[/quote]
One blob! And it was a big blob. One Fireblade was absolutely enough to buff 40 Fire Warriors, and I bet I could get him to buff as many as 72 or more! As the enemy moved and used deep-striking units however, the blob had to be very flexible. Twice, actually, I had to Advance the Firebladr just to keep the buff on every squad!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Aug 13 2017 06:49

Thanks for the reply Arka!
This makes me think if investing into two Fireblades is worth it if I am not intending to have a one huge blob on the table.
My plan is that there is two teams of strikers per one Fireblade supported with bunch of gun drones for achieving some of that mass dakka while have a team of 3-6 stealths for this infatry blob as a distraction. Should two of these formations make sense on a table? Not sure, and it will be definitely a long way until I'll get there...
Cheers!
Nix

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 13 2017 05:53

Good write up. Didn’t see this mentioned in your post but it’s worth mentioning:

“If your army is Battle-forged, all INFANTRY , BIKER and DREADNOUGHT units in a Space Marines Detachment gain a Chapter Tactic, so long as every unit
in that Detachment is drawn from the same Chapter“

So plain vehicles and monsters (Roboute for example), don’t benefit from chapter tactics.

Antao
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 13 2017 06:54

I'm going to agree with Maxwell on the stealth suits. I've played 5 games of 8th and they are embarrassingly difficult to kill, although they rarely kill much in return. -1 to hit, T4, 2W 2+ save models (when in cover). I've had tons of firepower dumped into them and still one survives to drop a homing beacon. Playing a cloak and shadows mission (universal -1 to hit outside 18 inches) against a guard player I watched him dump his entire armies firepower into them in turn one and kill 2 out of 3.

At this point I'm really frustrated with (and considering dropping) longstrike / hammerheads. He's so unpredictable, lets you down at the worst time. Last game I played turn 1 was 3 to hit, 5 to wound, 6 for damage, 6 for mortal wounds (dealing 9 wounds in one shot) next two turns missed, failed to wound (CP, failed to wound again). The only thing keeping him/them in my lists are that there isn't any other long range anti tank firepower worth taking. (Broadsides overpriced, Pulse Driver not worth it)

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 13 2017 08:19

Antao wrote:I'm going to agree with Maxwell on the stealth suits. I've played 5 games of 8th and they are embarrassingly difficult to kill, although they rarely kill much in return.

This is good since their primary purpose is to deliver xv8 via honking beacon

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Aug 14 2017 01:48

Maxwell wrote:Good write up. Didn’t see this mentioned in your post but it’s worth mentioning:

“If your army is Battle-forged, all INFANTRY , BIKER and DREADNOUGHT units in a Space Marines Detachment gain a Chapter Tactic, so long as every unit
in that Detachment is drawn from the same Chapter“

So plain vehicles and monsters (Roboute for example), don’t benefit from chapter tactics.

Yeah, the SM part of the army my opponent fielded was all infantry, plus one Dreadnought. It's nice that there weren't any vehicles. However, what bugged me was the sudden switch to Raven Guard, just to inhibit my shooting.

Antao wrote:At this point I'm really frustrated with (and considering dropping) longstrike / hammerheads...

The only thing keeping him/them in my lists are that there isn't any other long range anti tank firepower worth taking. (Broadsides overpriced, Pulse Driver not worth it)

That's the reason I'm taking him too. There's just nothing else that fills the role that's halfway decent.

deathboon wrote:honking beacon

Honk!

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 14 2017 05:53

Arka0415 wrote:
deathboon wrote:honking beacon

Honk!
haha nice catch!!!!

Return to “Battle Reports”