2v2 tau and eldar vs Marines and CSM

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Nymphomanius
Shas

2v2 tau and eldar vs Marines and CSM

Post#1 » Sep 06 2017 02:03

So I dropped into a store today to grab some bits and 3 guys I don't know invited me to join an impromptu 2v2 game as they were 1 short.

Just a quick game 50PL each 6 objectives (2 in each DZ 2 in roughly the middle)

As I don't know the guys or see their lists I can only report on what I saw so the teams were

Tau
Commander w FB, 2 MP + ATS
Commander w PR, 2 FB, + TL
10 kroot
5 Fw with Shas'ui, and marker drone
5 Fw with Shas'ui, and marker drone
5 Pathfinder w 1 rail rifle
3 XV8 w 2MP and ATS +Shasvre
3 XV8 w 2 PR + FB + Shasvre

Eldar
Autarch (was with howling banshee so kitted for that)
Banshee phoenix lord
10 dire avengers
10 dire avengers
5 rangers
10 swooping hawks
10 swooping hawks
10 howling banshee
10 howling banshee

Salamander Marines
Luitenant
10 Marines
10 Marines in rhino
6 Sternguard in razorback w Lascannon
(I think that was it he finished deployment first)

Alpha Legion CSM
Sorcerer
Sorcerer lord
3 obliterators
10 Marines
10 Marines
10 chosen I think (had5 plasma guns)

The battlefield was 6x4 plenty of buildings in each DZ and wooden terrain scattered around the middle

Marines set up first warlord and squad on foot in a building and 2 troops carrying vehicle in his corner behind a forest,
Alpha Legion goes 2 squads behind buildings and sorcerers behind them the obliterators and chosen in reserve

We spread out a lot further with my kroot in the open to race toward a mid objective everything else was in a building with plasma Commander and plasma suits in reserve my ally was the same with swooping hawks in reserve.

Started as we meant to go on by stealing the initiative.

Our turn 1
Kroot and banshees both advanced towards the enemy full speed, my missile Commander (warlord with 6+ FNP) moved forward in range of the razorback (but in cover) and missile pod XV8s jumped into a building 5-6" infront overlooking a middle objective
Hawks dropped in behind 1 alpha Legion and marine unit and my plasma suits joined the ones behind the Marines. My plasma Commander dropped in cover infront of the razorback.

Shooting phase
The plasma fusion Commander takes razorback to 1 wound with the help of missile Commander and 4 salamander Marines are killed by plasma, hawk and 1 firewarrior, railrifle misses. The missile pod suits kill 2 alpha Legion.

Marines pass their morale check

No combat this turn.

Their turn 1
Sternguard get out of the razorback towards the swooping hawks behind them the rhino goes forward towards some howling banshees (the Autarch and phoenix lord are together with the other unit this only has an exarch. Chaos sorcerers move towards my plasma suits 1 unit moves on the swooping hawks behind them and the other moves towards middle objective infront of my missile suits. Obliterators drop next to them and chosen join the sorcerers next to plasma suits.

Shooting phase,
Sternguard and Marines wipe out the hawks, rhino kills 2 banshees between psychic phase and shooting sorcerers and chosen take my plasma suits out and alpha Legion shooting at hawks kill 3, then the hand of God gets 2 Lascannon hits (needed 5's to hit as on 1 wound) on my plasma Commander
Then the same twist of fate allowed him to roll 2 2's to wound :D
Between the obliterators and Marines they managed 1 wound on my missile suits due to T5 and 2+ save in cover
In combat the alpha Marines killed all the swooping hawks.

Also the razorback assaulted my Commander, I failed to hit on overwatch, it failed to hit me and the MY COMMANDER PUNCHED IT TO DEATH.
The ensuing explosion caused 3 mortal wounds on my Commander but also killed 2 Sternguard.

Our turn 2 unfortunately we had to finish as the store had to close we didn't realise the time but got to our turn end
My plasma Commander advanced on the obliterators and killed 2 with fusion to the face, we shot the middle alpha Legion unit down to 3 models, the rail rifle hit and obliterator but rolled 1 to wound and I wasted a Command point to reroll another 1 :D and firewarriors killed 2 more Marines.

I sadly don't have any more for you but howling banshee unit was in charge range of Sternguard so would have been almost my full army and most of the eldar vs 15 Marines and 10 Chaos Marines and 10 chosen who would have to slog towards a tau gunline to get more than 1 objective so I can confidently say we would have won

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Re: 2v2 tau and eldar vs Marines and CSM

Post#2 » Sep 06 2017 05:11

Don't know the exact situation but I believe suits are not infantry and therefore would need to be 50% obscured for every model in the unit on top of being entirely within the terrain feature to gain a 2+ armor save.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Re: 2v2 tau and eldar vs Marines and CSM

Post#3 » Sep 07 2017 02:55

fraction64 wrote:Don't know the exact situation but I believe suits are not infantry and therefore would need to be 50% obscured for every model in the unit on top of being entirely within the terrain feature to gain a 2+ armor save.

So the suits were in a building shooting out of the windows they were definitely obscured. They weren't just in the ruins of a building.

Return to “Battle Reports”