2000 points (Tau + Eldar vs Space Wolves + Salamanders) - Thoughts

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

2000 points (Tau + Eldar vs Space Wolves + Salamanders) - Thoughts

Post#1 » Sep 14 2017 04:59

So last night at our FLGS, we played a 2000 point game. Myself playing Tau alongside my friend Eldar against Salamanders and Space Wolves.

It was an interesting game - the deployment was either the 2 edges of the table or 18" in the centre. We won the roll off and chose the edges. The twist was Warp Storm, which luckily only really affected the Eldar player, as no one else fielded Psykers. The game mode was the one where you add up the Power Level of any unit completely destroyed (I forget the name, but it was a good one!).

The game only actually lasted until the end of the 2nd turn, as we started late and the shop was being shut earlier last night too. We prevailed 27-26, but it honestly could've gone either way.

Here is a list of what I took:

Spoiler!
Battallion Detachment, +3CP

HQ
- Cadre Fireblade
- Commander in Coldstar Suit

Troops
- Breacher x 9 + Shas'ui
- Strike x 5
- Strike x 5

Elites
- XV8 (Burst Cannon, Burst Cannon, Advanced Targeting)
- XV8 (Burst Cannon, Burst Cannon, Advanced Targeting)
- XV8 (Fusion Blaster, Fusion Blaster, Drone Controller)
- Gun Drones x 4, Shield Drones x 2

Fast Attack
- Pathfinders x 7 + Shas'ui
- Pulse Acc Drone, Grav Inhib Drone

Flyer
- Sun Shark Bomber

Dedicated Transport
- Devilfish

The Eldar player took some jetbikes, dire avengers, howling banshees, rangers, guardians, a farseer (I think) and a farseer skyrunner. The Salamanders took Vulcan, a redemptor dreadnought (I think, again, it was the really big new one), hellblasters and primaris. The Wolves took primaris, regular marines, heavy weapons teams, 2 captains and a rhino.

Here are some thoughts on the units I used and the battle in general:

I held my Commander and Crisis suits in Manta and shoved the Breachers in the Devilfish. We lost the roll off for first turn, so they went first but through some odd movement choices and terrible rolling when shooting, they had a very unlucky first turn. The Eldar and I both managed to hit very hard in our first turn, through a combination of good rolling and lucky placement.

The bomber certainly managed to put a large dent in the heavy weapons teams, so I was pleased with how that performed. It was a bit better against Tyranids the other week, but that's largely down to the fact they have larger squads so I could roll all 10d6.

The Pathfinders probably did the best they've ever done since 8th. I managed to keep them in cover and despite 3 being killed off the bat by a flamer, the rest managed to consistently light up every target I shot at while remaining difficult to kill. The Cadre Fireblade, Pulse Accelerator and 2 Strike Teams did exactly as I thought they'd do - lots of S5 shots at 18" range, which was enough to kill plenty of marines to allow me some shots at Vulcan.

Honestly, the Devilfish with Breachers felt a little pointless. That may partly be because of the deployment, but I felt like it could've been better just having the Breacher team on the field straight away and using the points from the Devilfish for something else instead.

I had to Manta Strike my Crisis suits in at the start of the second turn to try and distract or deal with the dreadnought. Possibly a bad move, but I felt like I didn't have much of a choice. It worked to an extent that it wasted it's entire shooting phase on them, but the unit was absolutely totalled, despite the presence of the Shield Drones.

The Commander was useful, but again, seeing the dreadnought, I wish I'd gone for a Fusion Commander instead of Coldstar, as it was more of an objective grabber and backline harrasser. He managed to distract a captain as well as laying down a few shots, but by the time he could've been effective, the game was unfortunatley over.

The battle was never one sided and we all took some heavy beatings. I must admit I have a new found hatred for Vulcan as he's near impossible to kill. If I'd known about the dreadnought being fielded, I might have used a Hammerhead, Broadside or kitted out the Crisis suits differently.

I know it's not much of a report, but it's just some thoughts and observations I had last night while facing some fairly hardy enemies. :D
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 2000 points (Tau + Eldar vs Space Wolves + Salamanders) - Thoughts

Post#2 » Sep 14 2017 10:00

Ghostly Daemon wrote:I had to Manta Strike my Crisis suits in at the start of the second turn to try and distract or deal with the dreadnought. Possibly a bad move, but I felt like I didn't have much of a choice. It worked to an extent that it wasted it's entire shooting phase on them, but the unit was absolutely totalled, despite the presence of the Shield Drones.

It makes sense that you didn't have a choice, but that's exactly the issue with deep-striking XV8s with short-ranged weapons. You had to take on a Dreadnought, but most of your XV8s had Burst Cannons which I'm sure didn't help against the Dreadnought. Instead of taking versatile builds, consider making your XV8s anti-vehicle/monster or anti-tank (using CIBs or Fusion Blasters, or maybe Plasma Rifles) and leaving the anti-infantry role to cheaper units, like Gun Drones or Fire Warriors. Or, if your tactics/collection would allow it, use Commanders for the anti-vehicle role while XV8s with Flamers deal with infantry.

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 19 2017 03:58

Arka0415 wrote:It makes sense that you didn't have a choice, but that's exactly the issue with deep-striking XV8s with short-ranged weapons. You had to take on a Dreadnought, but most of your XV8s had Burst Cannons which I'm sure didn't help against the Dreadnought. Instead of taking versatile builds, consider making your XV8s anti-vehicle/monster or anti-tank (using CIBs or Fusion Blasters, or maybe Plasma Rifles) and leaving the anti-infantry role to cheaper units, like Gun Drones or Fire Warriors. Or, if your tactics/collection would allow it, use Commanders for the anti-vehicle role while XV8s with Flamers deal with infantry.

Yeah I wasn't exactly expecting to have to deal with something that big, so I thought one FB suit would've been enough, but you're absolutely right!

I played a game against Chaos not long after at 1500 points and ended up nearly tabling him, purely because of the extra AP from the CIBs on the suits.
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 19 2017 09:25

Ghostly Daemon wrote:I played a game against Chaos not long after at 1500 points and ended up nearly tabling him, purely because of the extra AP from the CIBs on the suits.

CIBs are fantastic! Great to get those high-rate-of-fire guns on BS3+ XV8s. Fusion Blasters are good too- but 20+ points for a gun that has a 50% chance to hit... risky.

Return to “Battle Reports”