1000 Points Vs Black Legion

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

1000 Points Vs Black Legion

Post#1 » Nov 19 2017 10:00

Welcome, Shas. Today I give to you for your perusal a battle report between my own tau and the Black Legion. the Black Legion list is what I saw in-game. Mission was The Relic.

The Lists:

Black Legion

Dark Apostle w/ Plasma Pistol.
(Warlord)(The Black Mace)

Chaos Lord w/ Jump Pack, 2x Plasma Pistols.

19x Chaos Space Marines w/ 2x plasma guns, Lightning Claw on squad leader.

19x Chaos Space Marines w/ 2x plasma guns, Lightning Claw on squad leader.

Contemptor (he didn't have the forgeworld rules for it so he used the loyalist ones)
w/ Chainfist, 2x Combi-bolters

Tau Empire

Commander w/ 4x FB

Coldstar Commander w/ ATS, Shield Gen
(Warlord)

Darkstrider

10x Breachers w/ Pulse Pistol, Guardian Drone

5x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles, Pulse Pistol

5x Pathfinders w/ Pulse Pistol

6x Vespid

Devilfish

3x Crisis Suits w/ 2x CIB, 1x ATS each.

Deployment

He deployed in a wedge shape centered on his Dark Apostle. I deployed my Pathfinders in cover out to one side, my fish behind ruins, and my Coldstar in the center. Darkstrider with the breachers rode in the Devilfish.

Battle Turn One.

I got lucky and got first turn, moving my units aggressively forwards. The QFC and Crisis came out of reserve and landed on his flanks. the fish moved forwards, closing in on the objective with a lucky advance move.
Shooting from my QFC took off 4 wounds from the contemptor (bad rolls), and the Crisis Suits killed off a couple of Chaos marines from one squad. No battleshock.

On his turn, the wedge moved forwards, advancing forwards from the ruins where they were set up. The dread moved towards my QFC, moving in position for an easy charge. Fire from the Chaos blob closest to the Crisis Suits took them down, having advanced and shot thanks to the Black Legion trait. The other squad focused on my Coldstar, and despite being in cover, it died to the storm of bolter rounds and gobbets of plasma. Warlord Kill and First Blood to Chaos. The plasma on the Chaos Lord took a wound off the Devilfish. The Contemptor charged my commander, taking off no wounds. The Dreadnought took another three wounds in overwatch.

Battle Turn 2

I disembarked from the Devilfish, moving up to the optimum range with my breachers. Darkstrider kicked off the shooting phase by tagging the untouched chaos blob with a markerlight, paving the way for the untouched pathfinder team to light the squad up for that golden 5 hits. Vespid came down with a fury, killing a full seven chaos marines in the already damaged squad. The Breacher squad killed off all but five of the untouched squad, and the Devilfish had manoeuvred towards the Dark Apostle, ready to lock it in combat. The QFC took the contemptor down to 3 wounds.
The Devilfish charged the apostle, and took off a wound, the only one on his warlord all game. The Relic was held by the Breacher Squad.
His turn. The Chaos Marines closest to the vespid chose to ignore them, instead advancing up the field and taking potshots at the Breachers. No casualties on the breachers. The five remaining in the front squad fired pistols, and charged. Contemptor went down to one wound in overwatch. QFC on two wounds. Breachers down to five men.

Battle Turn 3

Next turn, thinking darkstrider had the relic, I moved him away. Apparently, he didn't, and I had moved him out of Fighting Retreat range for the breachers. Fish was on half wounds. it fell back and jettisoned drones.
Rail Rifle pathfinders moved and killed off more marines from the furthest blob. QFC finally killed the Contemptor.

Dark Apostle charged the Devilfish. All breachers and drones killed either in combat or shooting.
the Chaos Lord went after darkstrider, taking him down to one wound with his plasma pistols.
Dark Apostle Killed the devilfish, taking another two wounds from the explosion. Consolidated onto Relic.

Battle Turn 4

I charged my pathfinder squads into the fight, shooting down some more chaos marines, killing one squad fully, and the carbines from the second squad took down the Chaos Lord (just). QFC moved closer, killing off a marine.

He started to retreat his remaining forces, which by this stage consisted of 3 or 4 chaos marines and a Dark Apostle down two wounds. The Apostle and his remaining plasma killed off my QFC. Carbine pathfinders died to bolters.

Battle Turn 5

Potshots killed off the last marines, just the apostle left. no line of sight from my commander.

He kept running with his apostle.

Reflection
My opponent (who also plays tau) said after the game that he noticed my list had little to no ranged firepower. my maximum range was 18" for all but a single weapon. I will have to improve on this.

He also said that my crisis were not so effective. I agree. Twin plasma and flamer would have been better if I could spare the points.

I saw two main blunders I made:
-Moving Darkstrider too far
-Being too agressive with my reserves

I had the advantage in mobility with many units in manta hold reserve. I played all my cards too early, I think.

Things that went well:
-Breachers - Overall fantastically pleased with their performance.
-Vespid - Great unit, good for dropping in your opponents backfield.

Any thoughts, ATT?

Tau'va!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: 1000 Points Vs Black Legion

Post#2 » Nov 20 2017 10:37

SniperTau wrote:My opponent (who also plays tau) said after the game that he noticed my list had little to no ranged firepower. my maximum range was 18" for all but a single weapon. I will have to improve on this.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to your opponent's advice. Tau work best at 18" range now. If you aren't using 18" range guns (Fusion Blaster, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Pulse Carbine, etc.) what would you use instead? Heavy Rail Rifles? Most of our long-range options are frankly bad. The only redeeming unit are Longstrike and Missile Pod Commanders.

SniperTau wrote:also said that my crisis were not so effective. I agree. Twin plasma and flamer would have been better if I could spare the points.

Cyclic Ion Blasters aren't quite ideal weapons to kill T4/W1/Sv3+. Use them to hit vehicles, multi-wound infantry, that sort of thing. If you want to kill Chaos Space Marines or units like that, Gun Drones should work just fine. If you really want to use XV8s for this role though, 3x Plasma Rifle suits may do the trick, and 3x Flamer Suits aren't bad either- they may do fractionally less damage than Plasma Rifles at closer range, but they have blistering overwatch.

Return to “Battle Reports”