1000 points vs. Adeptus Mechanicus

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

1000 points vs. Adeptus Mechanicus

Post#1 » Nov 30 2017 12:02

Today, ATT, I have another batrep for you. Now, this is a slightly different batrep. My tau playing friend, in preparation for a tournament next year, put together 1/2 of his 2000 point final list to test it out. I was playing my mechanicum, in order to test out the Stygies forge world trait. So, as opposed to being from the tau point of view, this will be from the AdMech perspective.

Lists:

Mechanicum:

BATTALION:

Tech-Priest Dominus:
Phosphor Serpenta

Tech-Priest Enginseer

5x Skitarii Rangers:
Omnispex, 2x Transuranic Arquebi

5x Skitarii Vanguard:
Omnispex, 2x Plasma Calivers

10x Skitarii Vanguard:
Omnispex, 1x Plasma Caliver

Onager Dunecrawler:
Neutron Laser, 1x Cognis Heavy Stubber, Broad-Spectrum Data-Tether

SUPREME COMMAND:

Tempestor Prime:
Command Rod, Chainsword

Tempestor Prime:
Command Rod, Chainsword

Tempestor Prime:
Command Rod, Chainsword

VANGUARD:

Primaris Psyker

Militarum Tempestus Command Squad:
4x Plasma Guns

4x Plasma Guns

4x Hot-Shot Volley Guns

Total: 1006 points
8CP

T'au Empire:

BATTALION:

Longstrike:
Railgun, 2x Gun Drones

Ethereal:
Honour Blade

5x Breachers:
Guardian Drone

5x Breachers:
Guardian Drone

5x Breachers

5x Breachers

Devilfish:
2x Gun Drones

Devilfish:
2x Gun Drones

Hammerhead:
2x Gun Drones, Railgun

Hammerhead:
2x Gun Drones, Railgun

Total: ~1000 points
6CP
---------
Mission was The Relic. My warlord was my Dominus, with the Monitor Malevolus warlord trait and the Phosphoenix.
His was Longstrike, with Tenacious Survivor. He deployed all his hammerheads in a cluster on one flank, and his Devilfish went straight in the center, facing the relic. All of my Tempestus Scions went in reserve, and my Onager hid behind a building with my two tech-priests. The rest of my infantry were spread out out of line of sight of his tanks.
In his devilfish were two squads of breachers, one in each with a guardian drone, and one devilfish had the ethereal.

I got first turn, seizing.

TURN 1:
I canted ShroudPsalm.
My dunecrawler popped out, taking off 10 wounds from longstrike with the Neutron Laser.
The infantry moved to good positions, the Arquebi staying stationary, and together with some plasma took out the fish without the ethereal in. My plasma dropped in by his remaining fish, popped it.

His turn. Longstrike missed the Onager, but the other two hammerheads wounded for 6 total wounds off.
Breachers smashed the plasma Scions to bits, then a squad charged the small vanguard unit, locking it. He got the relic.

TURN 2:
I rolled for my canticle, got ShroudPsalm again. Volley Gun scions dropped in to take out two breacher squads.
Vanguard blob moved in from a flank. Tech-priest Dominus, with a CP spent on the repair stratagem, took the dunecrawler up to full wounds. The Dunecrawler switched targets, took six wounds off the furthest Hammerhead.
The Ranger squad put Longstrike on two wounds. Vanguard blob killed off another squad of breachers. Combat still ongoing, with the Ethereal heroically intervened.

He took more wounds off my Dunecrawler, disembarked his drones, and Submunitioned a few vanguard. a Drone charged my dunecrawler, locking it in combat. Relic Combat still ongoing.

TURN 3:

Chose the Electromancer canticle in the hopes of killing the drone in combat with my tank. No such luck. Dominus charged out in a foolish attempt to kill Longstrike. the Enginseer repaired the Dunecrawler up to full wounds.

the three Tempestor Primes, having survived thus far, charged into combat to try kill off those breachers. Drone still in combat.

He killed more vanguard, killed a Prime in combat. Solid-slugged my Dominus.

TURN 4:

I chose re-roll 1's to hit in the shooting phase, fell back from combat, shot, then charged with my vanguard. No fatalities bar the drone who was killed.

His turn, he fell back out of combat, and let the three tanks (still up!) chew my surviving Vanguard to pieces.

Game End.

His Victory.

Tau'va!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: 1000 points vs. Adeptus Mechanicus

Post#2 » Nov 30 2017 01:48

Sounds like an interesting Tau list! Everybody embarked in vehicles in the beginning, I assume? I feel like AdMech would have had the natural advantage here, with the Dunecrawler, but I think the issues was your AdMech didn't have enough anti-tank. Another Dunecrawler could have been a great thing in a list like this.

I don't know too much about Guard units, but why so many Tempestor Primes?

Also, the plural of "Arquebus" is "Arquebuses" :D

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 30 2017 08:45

I'm astounded his list doesn't use markerlights with units that hit on 2's. Not sure how to get them in without ruining his all tank method but I'm not sold that this will do well since our parking lot is way crappier than AM.

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 30 2017 06:50

Arka, for the militarum tempestus command squads, you can only take one per tempestor prime, and two orders per squad with the Tempestus Command Rods are great. And yes, everything was embarked in the beginning.
as for the Arquebuses, Arquebii sounds cooler :D

Yojimbob, this is actually only half of his full list he will take to a competition next year. he plans to have an ion cannon hammerhead and stealthsuits and a few markerlights in the 1000 points he has left.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Nov 30 2017 08:34

SniperTau wrote:He plans to have an ion cannon hammerhead and stealthsuits and a few markerlights in the 1000 points he has left.

I'm curious- so his list will be Longstrike & Friends with Devilfish and Stealtsuit backup? I feel like getting a Commander, or Darkstrider, in there somewhere would be helpful.

SniperTau wrote:as for the Arquebuses, Arquebii sounds cooler :D

Totally off topic, but as a language teacher, that's where I draw the line! :D "Arquebus" doesn't come from Latin, it comes from French. The "-us" isn't a suffix, so you can't switch it out for another suffix. And even if it was, it definitely wouldn't become "-ii"! The suffix "-ii" is the same as the English "-er", as in "catcher" or "painter". Saying "Arquebi" is just fake Latin, but "Arquebii" would mean "a person with an Arquebus." If your Rangers had Arquebii, they would be people armed with people holding Arquebuses! Anyway, "Arquebi" is like saying the plural of "plus" is "pli"! :D

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 03 2017 02:16

Yes his list will be longstrike and friends, with stealth suits and devilfish. I reckon since he is already going T'au for Longstrike he should be able to fit in Darkstrider, but he hasn't gotten the specifics done yet.

on Arquebii, I actually think that the way I did it is right, because I said 2x Arquebii, which if Arquebii means person with a transuranic arquebus, it would mean the squad has two people with arquebuses.

Tau'va

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Dec 03 2017 02:41

SniperTau wrote:Yes his list will be longstrike and friends, with stealth suits and devilfish. I reckon since he is already going T'au for Longstrike he should be able to fit in Darkstrider, but he hasn't gotten the specifics done yet.

Sounds like a solid idea, though a bit lacking in anti-tank firepower. Longstrike and another Hammerhead make great weapons to finish off tanks and pick wounds off larger vehicles, but I'd definitely recommend he get some alpha strike in there- Commanders with Fusion Blasters are the obvious choice of course, but XV8s could also be a possibility.

SniperTau wrote:on Arquebii, I actually think that the way I did it is right, because I said 2x Arquebii, which if Arquebii means person with a transuranic arquebus, it would mean the squad has two people with arquebuses.

Only one "i" in your original post though. Even if there were two "i"s though, wouldn't that be listing models in the wargear section alongside the Omnispex?

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Dec 03 2017 02:47

His list has 4 hammerheads total, Longstrike plus two railgun tanks, plus an Ionhead. as he has not got everything planned yet, he could probably afford a QFC if he really needed more antitank.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Dec 03 2017 03:39

SniperTau wrote:His list has 4 hammerheads total, Longstrike plus two railgun tanks, plus an Ionhead. as he has not got everything planned yet, he could probably afford a QFC if he really needed more antitank.

I like the triple-railguns, with a little luck on his side he should be seeing two Railgun wounds per turn- hopefully taking half the wounds off a tank each turn. Good firepower across several turns, but not enough to "silence" an enemy tank when you need to- a Predator Annihilator, Onager Dunecrawler, or Land Raider could be injured, but not entirely stopped. With Stealthsuits already in his list, he has the tech he needs for a Fusion Commander already in place. By the way, do you know what he's doing for Markerlight support? With Longstrike in place those Hammerheads don't need the full 5 Markerlight hits, but 3 Markerlights could really help for Seeker Missile strikes and staying mobile!

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Dec 03 2017 06:26

I'll talk to him about it. Darkstrider and a few pathfinders should paint up targets well enough, especially with our new stratagem.

Return to “Battle Reports”