Local Tournament battle report - Tau still got it folks

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Re: Local Tournament battle report - Tau still got it folks

Post#19 » Dec 14 2017 01:17

namegiver wrote:Rough game four. My group is hot and cold on Maelstrom missions for that exact reason. Sometimes, the cards make for an incredibly fun back and forth game... and sometimes, they make the game completely lopsided and frustrating. Such are the fortunes of war, I guess.

This is one reason I absolutely abhor the new Shadespire game. Dice games are hot and cold already just based off of the variances of dice (for instance last Monday my Alpha Strike only manage to kill a singe death guard plague marine and a squad of cultists shooting 2 QFC, Shadowsun, 54 total CIB shots, 12 flamers and various other weapons all in range and all shooting) however, adding in cards as the primary means of scoring VP can mean that you can kill every single model but 1, but if you draw the wrong cards you can lose the game 20-0.

That's fine for casual games; however, if I've paid an entry fee for an event, results should be less based on randomness and more based on skill.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Dec 14 2017 02:23

I liked how adepticon did it last year with keeping objectives relevant in every turn. You got to pick from 10 or so but you couldn't pick that one again and you had to complete it that turn. Made it less random but still had to go for some pretty crazy objectives at some point because you had to if you wanted to score great points.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Dec 14 2017 02:30

Yojimbob wrote:I liked how adepticon did it last year with keeping objectives relevant in every turn. You got to pick from 10 or so but you couldn't pick that one again and you had to complete it that turn. Made it less random but still had to go for some pretty crazy objectives at some point because you had to if you wanted to score great points.

That sounds like a good model! I may have to incorporate that into our game nights to spice things up! It also allows any particularly Farsighted Commanders ;) to position themselves during one turn to better achieve a known objective during the next turn or beyond.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Dec 14 2017 04:38

CDR_Farsight wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:I liked how adepticon did it last year with keeping objectives relevant in every turn. You got to pick from 10 or so but you couldn't pick that one again and you had to complete it that turn. Made it less random but still had to go for some pretty crazy objectives at some point because you had to if you wanted to score great points.

That sounds like a good model! I may have to incorporate that into our game nights to spice things up! It also allows any particularly Farsighted Commanders ;) to position themselves during one turn to better achieve a known objective during the next turn or beyond.

Definitely is an advantage for those thinking in the Longstrike-game. ;) Went for a lot of the big objectives early on like the one that required killing three squads in a single phase instead of the easy "capture objective x".

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Dec 14 2017 07:50

Excellent battle reports! Thanks for taking the trouble :smile:

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Dec 15 2017 06:44

CDR_Farsight wrote:Does your local tournament rank off of W:L or off of victory points or a combination?

If you are ranking off of W:L, then good luck and I hope to see on the top table
If you are ranking off of VP, then you're going to be lucky to hit mid tier given the low VP wins you've gotten (especially if the tourney is using a 19 or 20 point system).

Not trying to burst your bubble because I do think you are doing fairly well, and I congratulate you for that....but out of the lists you played on day 1, I'm not seeing any really well built or super cheesy/synergistic opponents like the ones that are currently out there wrecking the large tournament scene.

The tournament has a combination of W;L, VP and points killed. Primary secondary and tertiary in that order. So you get 15Tournament points for a win, 5 for a draw and 0 for a loss. Then when people are on drawing Tournament points, it goes to VP's/Points killed to decide who is higher placed.

I know it's not the super cheese that the bigger tournaments have, but the first few games are never going to have that unless you get unlucky and are drafted with the real competitive players. Also, it's a small local tournament, but still has most of the best players in the county. These are guys that do travel to the bigger tournaments and perform quite well. There was plenty of cheese at this tournament with Guilleman, brimstones, magnus, mortarion, AM Cadia spam etc. The first 2 games I played were relatively strong, but ultimately not that competitive. But the 3rd game was a really really solid list. Almost army wide -1 to hit, inv saves everywhere, high volume of shots, high quality shooting, good mobility, psychic support, and combat capability. In what way is that NOT well built? Same thing for game 4, except that was nearly army wide -2 to hit. Combining the changeling, alpha legion trait, with psychic support, and character buffs, I don't know how you get much more synergistic than that. It's not primarch or brimstone spam but it's a really hard list that had no problem tabling a pre CA assback spam/bobby G list(which is the kind of list that won one of the biggest tournaments). I realise this sounds a bit defensive/salty, but I'm just trying to emphasise the fact that the lists in game 3/4(and 5 as you'll see) I faced were very strong. Maybe not the tippy top of cheese that can be brought, but getting bloody close.

R'Kai
Playing with a short reach since 2007 :crafty:

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Dec 15 2017 07:11

Yojimbob wrote:
CDR_Farsight wrote:

Definitely is an advantage for those thinking in the Longstrike-game. ;) Went for a lot of the big objectives early on like the one that required killing three squads in a single phase instead of the easy "capture objective x".

I really like this idea! I'm going to try that out in my next friendly game :)

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Dec 15 2017 09:42

Shas'O R'Kai wrote:
CDR_Farsight wrote:Does your local tournament rank off of W:L or off of victory points or a combination?

If you are ranking off of W:L, then good luck and I hope to see on the top table
If you are ranking off of VP, then you're going to be lucky to hit mid tier given the low VP wins you've gotten (especially if the tourney is using a 19 or 20 point system).

Not trying to burst your bubble because I do think you are doing fairly well, and I congratulate you for that....but out of the lists you played on day 1, I'm not seeing any really well built or super cheesy/synergistic opponents like the ones that are currently out there wrecking the large tournament scene.

The tournament has a combination of W;L, VP and points killed. Primary secondary and tertiary in that order. So you get 15Tournament points for a win, 5 for a draw and 0 for a loss. Then when people are on drawing Tournament points, it goes to VP's/Points killed to decide who is higher placed.

I know it's not the super cheese that the bigger tournaments have, but the first few games are never going to have that unless you get unlucky and are drafted with the real competitive players. Also, it's a small local tournament, but still has most of the best players in the county. These are guys that do travel to the bigger tournaments and perform quite well. There was plenty of cheese at this tournament with Guilleman, brimstones, magnus, mortarion, AM Cadia spam etc. The first 2 games I played were relatively strong, but ultimately not that competitive. But the 3rd game was a really really solid list. Almost army wide -1 to hit, inv saves everywhere, high volume of shots, high quality shooting, good mobility, psychic support, and combat capability. In what way is that NOT well built? Same thing for game 4, except that was nearly army wide -2 to hit. Combining the changeling, alpha legion trait, with psychic support, and character buffs, I don't know how you get much more synergistic than that. It's not primarch or brimstone spam but it's a really hard list that had no problem tabling a pre CA assback spam/bobby G list(which is the kind of list that won one of the biggest tournaments). I realise this sounds a bit defensive/salty, but I'm just trying to emphasise the fact that the lists in game 3/4(and 5 as you'll see) I faced were very strong. Maybe not the tippy top of cheese that can be brought, but getting bloody close.

R'Kai

I was only commenting on games 1-3 (the first day). The 4th list was strong and could hit top tier with a good player who understands their army well, but lists 1-3 are nothing I would expect to see winning a top tier round unless they just got paired with a net-lister or something they are a hard counter for.

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Dec 15 2017 11:10

I was only commenting on games 1-3 (the first day). The 4th list was strong and could hit top tier with a good player who understands their army well, but lists 1-3 are nothing I would expect to see winning a top tier round unless they just got paired with a net-lister or something they are a hard counter for.

That's fair enough, though I'm just curious as to why you think the list from game 3 wasn't top tier? I could definitely see it hurting most, if not all top tier lists I've seen. What makes it NOT top tier? I always find it interesting to hear what other players consider to be top tier lists.

R'Kai

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Dec 15 2017 04:24

Shas'O R'Kai wrote:

That's fair enough, though I'm just curious as to why you think the list from game 3 wasn't top tier? I could definitely see it hurting most, if not all top tier lists I've seen. What makes it NOT top tier? I always find it interesting to hear what other players consider to be top tier lists.

R'Kai

Top tier will generally be able to soak up most of the fire from those guys through invuln saves/fnp or save modifiers and will dish out a ton of mortal wounds that bypass all of their invul saves. Some armies can dish out an ungodly number of mortal wounds with relative ease.

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Dec 20 2017 08:30

Sorry for the delay folks! Life decided to get busy on me :(

Anyway, without further ado, here's game number 5!

Game 5:

After having victory snatched away by incredibly lucky card drawing from my last opponent, I was still feeling confident. I was down to Table 4 now, so this last game I knew would be no cakewalk! The game deployment type was the 4 quadrants with an 18" circle in the middle. The mission was Resupply Drop. It used 6 objectives, and the player who begins turn 3 needs to select 3 of the objectives(naming them 1-3) and then pick one at random(roll a D3). The other two objectives are removed. The other player at the start of their turn 3 picks/numbers the other 3 and selects one at random. Again, 2 are removed and you're left with 2 randomly selected objectives which are worth 3 VP's each. Interesting gametype indeed!

My opponent was Imperial soup. We had the big blue papa smurf man himself, Bobby G(naturally). Also at the party was the flying nun, Celestine. The rest of the army consisted of 2 chaplain dreadnoughts, Tigerius, 2 eversor assassins, 2 culexus assassins, 3x 5 man scout squads, a 10 man Terminator assault squad, and a 8 man tactical squad. This was an interesting list in that I'd never faced so many characters and I just knew that target acquirement was going to be a total pain. The board was a really cool desert terrain which was set up with a large pyramid in the far left quadrant, a smaller one in the far right quadrant, and another larg(ish) one on my side in the middle of both near quadrants. There were also a scattering of ruins in the far middle, near middle-right and the near right quadrant, with a hill and forrest in the near left quadrant. The deployment zones were him in the far left quadrant and me in the near right quadrant. We agreed that pyramids were impassable to infantry but could be flown over(but not landed on). The terrain base that was about 2" around each one we agreed counted as cover.

I was surprised how he deployed, forming a bit of a castle with his 2 chaplain dreads, Guilleman, Tigerius, and Celestine. He then bubble wrapped them with 10 terminators which were strung out in a line about 5" in front of them. He had this set up in front of the big pyramid in that quadrant and as close as he could get to my lines. The tactical squad deployed behind the big pyramid, and the scouts deployed in the ruins in the far middle and one squad in front of the near middle pyramid close to my deployment. The assassins all went in reserve.

I deployed in a gunline between the ruins in the near right and the pyramid in the near middle. I had my Stealth team deployed in the far right pyramid terrain and pathfinders deployed in the ruins in my quadrant. The fire warriors were deployed with the Fireblade about 6" from my deployment line in a line formation of 2 ranks. The Y'Vahra was right behind them, while the breachers formed up behind the Y'Vahra with all the gun drones. The non-warlord coldstar was deployed inside the bubble I'd made and all other commanders/crisis were set up in the manta.

We rolled off and I won, he failed to seize.

Turn 1:
My tiredness really showed here. This is a game where I should've tempered my usual hyper aggressive playstyle and hung back a bit. Starting off my movement phase, I called Mont'Ka and boosted my coldstar way off to the left flank to sit on the back of a hill in the near left quadrant. I dropped the missile commander and the crisis team in the Forrest in the same quadrant. The fire warriors all moved up and advanced to get rapid fire on the scouts. Pathfinders stayed still, and the stealth team shuffled closer a bit. The Y'Vahra advanced up to the far middle to the right of the middle ruins. The drones followed but I only got 1 squad within Saviour protocols(used a CP to try get the other squad in too but rolled another 1) which I knew was going to bite me. The Fusion commanders stayed in reserve and I dropped the warlord coldstar next to the one that advanced to the left.

I opened up shooting with the Y'Vahra(after markers of course), and succeeded in wiping 8 terminators with him. The missile commander finished off the other 2. The coldstars killed 3 tactical marines in cover(his saving was VERY good). The crisis suits killed all the scouts that were in front of the middle pyramid, and the fire warriors opened up and wiped the scouts in the far middle ruins. That ended my turn since there was nothing else I could really get at this turn since we deployed quite far away form each other. I'd succeeded in wiping out 10 terminators, 15 scouts and 3 tactical marines. It was a nice dent in the army but essentially that was just his shields down now. I still had a looooong way to go.

His movement consisted of moving Celestine with a double(triple?) move right into the middle of my gunline, the tactical squad moving up on to the hill in my near left quadrant, and his chaplain dreads, Tigerius + Bobby G moving up to my Y'Vahra. His assassins all came in too. One Culexus came in on the near left side of the board, both eversors came in behind my near right side, and the other Culexus came in 9" to the right of my stealthteam.

He opened up shooting and killed 4 pathfinders and a few fire warriors with Needle pistols/Celestines flamer sword. The Culexus on the left took a wound from my commander, the one on the right killed a stealthsuit, and the Chaplain dreads fired their lascannons at the Y'Vahra and made me kill a couple drones. This was where I'd seen my mistake. I'd not made it imperative to keep all my drones in support range of my Y'Vahra. I got way too aggressive with it and was about to pay for it(though admittedly his luck was atrociously good).

He started off by charging Guilleman into the Y'Vahra(Guilleman was buffed somehoe but I forget what power). In overwatch I landed 10 wounds with the flamer, and he failed only 1... Which was rough. He then made the 8" charge. One of the Chaplain dreads also made it in. In combat, all my drones died from saviour protocols and my Y'Vahra survived with 2 wounds! However, he then played a stratagem to let Guilleman fight again... So my Y'Vahra fell to the Primarch which was rough. Celestine, charged my gunline and started chopping up fire warriors, as did the 2 eversors. both took 1 wound in overwatch though. The Culexus on the far left attempted a charge on my Coldstars but failed and took a wound for it. The tactical marines charged the crisis team drone squad whci hI had strung out on top of the hill on my turn. They made it in but killed nothing(as did I).

All my units held in morale.

Turn 2:
Losing the Y'Vahra was huge. It was my only answer to his horribly powerful characters, so now I'd have to play a tactics game and try survive and play the objective.

I kicked off movement by falling back with drones down off the hill and moving towards the Crisis team, while the suits moved forwards and towards the hill and Tactical squad. The Coldstars moved into the centre left of the board just in front of the Crisis team and away from his Culexus. My gunline all fell back/moved away from Eversors+Celestine and my Pathfinders all stayed put. The Stealth team moved into the centre closer to Guilleman and dropped their beacon to let the Fusion commanders drop next to the Chaplain dreads.

I opened up shooting with my gunline, hoping to clear away some rage assassins, but alas it seems I cant get past the mighty 4+ inv save of which he made a silly amount of! I ended up putting only 1 wound on each. The stealth team tried to hit the Cullexus next to them but failed to do anything. Over on my left, I opened up with the crisis at the Tactical marines and succeeded in killing the remaining 5, then the dornes managed to bring down the cullexus on the left. The Coldstars tried to hit one of the Dreadnoughts but only did 2 wounds to it. The Fusion commanders then hit with everything, wounded 3 times, he saved 2 with his 5+ inv and I rolled a 2 for damage. So that was painful. The missile commander also tried a punt at one of the Chaplain dreads and did 2 more wounds, but he saved them both with a 6+ venerable save. With shooting done, I made no charges and he just had characters left now.

He started turn 2 by moving the 2 Chaplain Dreads towards my left flank and into my Fusion commanders. Guilleman moved up to support them as well. Celestine and the Eversors + Cullexus on my near right all moved towards the remaining fire warriors/pathfinders. Tigerius followed Guilleman at a distance.

In his psychic he smote 3 MW from my Stealthsuits and then he started shooting by finishing off the last one with his Cullexus. More Firewarriors/Pathfinders died to the Eversors + Celestine. Guilleman shot at my fusion commanders and did nothing. The Dreadnoughts opened up on my Crisis team and Drones with Storm bolters/Lascannons and killed off all the drones and one suit.

He charged Guilleman and the dreads in to my Fusion commanders and I failed to hit in overwatch. Celestine and her angry spandex friends charged more Fire warriors and I put one more wound on an assassin. Needless to say, the fusion commanders died and some more of my infantry was killed. Everyone held in morale.

Turn 3:
This is where things got interesting! I picked my three objectives (the three furthest away from everything he had), and rolled to determine which one would stay. Thankfully it was the one way up in the far left corner of the map, right behind a giant pyramid. So I swiftly moved my coldstars straight over there and nicely out of sight. The crisis team moved towards it as well, getting to the left corner of the pyramid, so they'd be able to sit on it next turn. All my infantry that was left fell back and spread out in a hope that I'd be able to draw off Celestine who was the only one capable of moving fast enough to get to the objective I held. I held my missile commander in the back middle.

I shot my crisis team and missile commander at the dreads and finally managed to kill one! I also managed to kill one of the eversors with my fireblade! Other than that, nothing else happened.

On his turn he picked the other three objectives and he ended up rolling the objective I held with a couple Pathfinders/Firewarriors in the back right quadrant in my deployment zone. He moved Celestine as far as she could go towards my suits on the objective behind the pyramid on the other side of the board. Everything else advanced/moved towards my remaining scraps of infantry on my deployment zone.

Shooting killed a couple more Firewarriors, and the remaining Chaplain dread made my missile commander take a lascannon to the face. Both hit, both wound, failed both saves, and he rolled a double 6 for damage because Space marines love overkill! haha

Some more charges happened but he could only kill 2 fire warriors due to me spreading out and only presenting 2 units of 1. No morale taken.

Turn 4:
This one was annoying because again we had less than 5 mins but he absolutely insisted we play another turn. I thought, last game so fair enough, let's play it till the end of turn 4.

I moved my crisis team onto the pyramid objective and consolidated everything I had left onto the objective in my deployment zone but spread out so he'd have to multi charge to get them all. This consisted of my Fireblade, a drone, a pathfinder, and a fire warrior. I managed to kill the other eversor finally with some lucky shooting.

He moved Celestine up again but couldn't get in range of the objective. She needed a 10" charge to get in. Guilleman was the only thing left down in my deployment zone but he killed off the drone in shooting. They both charged and I got very very lucky with overwatch against Celestine, and killed her. Of course she'd just get back up but the charge didn't happen which was all that was important. Guilleman needed 9" to get into all my remaining units on the objective and of course that's when he rolls a double 6. Needless to say he wiped what was left and we drew the game! We both had an objective, linebreaker and First blood but no warlord. So the final result was 5-5. I ended up killing around 1200points I think, and he killed around 1400.

This game was a rough one because I was playing on about 2 hours sleep and hangover, but it was still really fun. All those characters is soooooo frustrating because you cant shoot what you want to. THe Chaplain dreadnoughts in particular are hard as nails. My play was riddled with mistakes and looking back on it I've no idea why I did some things. Pushing the Y'Vahra so far forward without support was just really really stupid. As I'd already seen, it could have been wiping those power units each turn. I should've stayed back more, kept all the drones nearby and just been ok with killing 2/3 terminators since they're so slow anyway. It would've kept my infantry protected form Celestine just jumping over and into my lines. Another major mistake I made was dropping the crisis suits on the far left when I could've dropped them to give 6 more drones to the Y'Vahra and help kill some power units of his. That definitely would've kept the Y'Vahra alive and then he could've maybe killed Guilleman which would've been huge! There are many more mistakes I made, but those were the crucial ones.

Overall my final record was 3 wins - 1 loss - 1 draw, which netted me 6th place out of I think about 38-40. I'm really happy with how I played for the most part and I think we CAN play at a high level. It just takes some really solid play and really efficient list building. Of course, my list could be better but I had to play with the models I have.

Thanks for reading about my venture into the tournament scene with our beloved T'au, I hope you enjoyed and I'm happy to discuss any part of what you read(or just anything in general!).

R'Kai

Return to “Battle Reports”