Tau Win Percentage Log

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Jhi'Myr
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau Win Percentage Log

Post#55 » Jan 18 2018 07:44

Arka0415 wrote:You're welcome. I've been thinking about a few ways to counter this strategy, and I have a few ideas:

- Split your army up, so that the Poxwalker death-ball has to choose one direction over the other
- Bring CIBs, which can wound Poxwalkers on 3+ even if they're boosted to T5
- If you get turn one, focus the Poxwalkers with everything you have, probably mainly Pulse Rifles and Ion Rifles
- Don't worry about creating Poxwalkers by killing cultists- deleting the Cultist blobs turns off the Tide of Heretics + Walking Dead combo

-The army was relatively well split in the first place. If it weren't for his growing hoard of poxwalkers conga lining their spawned models across the table he would've only killed a single 5-man unit of breachers.
-I /love/ CiBs. They were the primary weapon on my crisis suit team.
-My list was optimized for beta strike. and it worked out fantastically. But I could not target the poxwalkers due to a stratagem he had used. (they couldn't be targeted unless they were the closest unit, and he'd spaced just so that I had almost no deepstrike room behind his back line where the zeds were.
-TBH the poxwalkers weren't the big threat. I knew the gundrones could handle them with essentially no trouble. It was more a matter of board domination and locking in all but one of my non-fly models in CC. If he didn't have the poxwalker conga line he'd have had nothing but some characters I'd have to weed out, some psychic, and the hellbrute by the end of my first shooting phase, and practically no firepower.

Setsuro
Shas

Post#56 » Jan 20 2018 01:02

Had a tournament today. Took first place. Relevant for the tournament is that losses during games may become permanent, giving you a smaller army in subsequent games. Also, each table had a terrain piece with special rules.

Outcome: W
Points/PL: 1500 pts
Opponent: Hive Fleet Behemoth
Competitive/Casual: Competitive
Tournament: Local
Format: Open War (Orbital debris and double objective, Comet and Invasion)
List Theme: Unoptimised MSU for brigade detachment
Experience: Played Tau and 40k since the time broadsides had Twin-linked Railguns (so 8+ years or so?)
Additional Info: He played a close combat list and had the more favorable deployment map. However, he deployed nearly his entire army in such a manner that the terrain piece pretty much destroyed his army for me. Coupled with layered defensive lines of small units made him concede turn 2 to save his units for the rest of the tournament.

Opponent: Ad Mech (not sure which forge world)
Format: Open War (Meeting engagement, War of attrition)
Experience: Played Tau and 40k since the time broadsides had Twin-linked Railguns (so 8+ years or so?)
Additional Info: Really didn't think I would win this one, but somehow managed to take out a dune crawler a turn, ending with 48PL for me end 44PL for him.

Opponent: Emperors Children
Format: Maelstrom of war, Tactical Escalation
Additional Info: His turn 1 consisted of him putting 4 wounds on my hammer head (and wounding himself a bit), mine consisted of destroying a sonic dreadnought and crippling a defiler. Also, I drew better cards than him.

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#57 » Jan 22 2018 08:28

Update from this weekend:

Points/PL: 2000 Points
Opponent: Astra Militarum
Tournament: N/a
Format: ITC Champion Missions
List Theme: Drone Spam + map control list:
4 units of 9Drones (4Gun+5Shield), 3xQFC, 2xHazard Teams (+4Drones each), 4x7Breachers, 2x10KrootCarnivores, 2x6Pathfinders, Ethereal, CFB, 2x3Stealth Suits (1xFB each, NO Homing Beacon!)
Experience: Since March 2017, but over 45 games in competitive 8th.
Additional Info: Basically, the AM player could not get rid of the drones, while Hazard teams, drones themselves and Stealth Suits were erasing sqad after squad, and the QFC were starting to reach his vehicles placed on the Backfield. Also, my list was ITC proof (hard to maximize any secundary mission for my oponent) while his was very weak to it (8x10man squads, 4xLeman Russ, Vehicle Characters easy to kill....)

Opponent: Black Templars
List Theme: Drone Spam + map control list:
4 units of 9Drones (4Gun+5Shield), 3xQFC, 2xHazard Teams (+4Drones each), 4x7Breachers, 2x10KrootCarnivores, 2x6Pathfinders, Ethereal, CFB, 2x3Stealth Suits (1xFB each, NO Homing Beacon!)
Additional Info: He got first Turn, focused on the shield drones from my 4gun-5shield squads, and managed to kill 15 of them. Nothing else (with a full-equiped Storm Raven and Stormhawk). My Firepower was unnafected, and I was able to kill The Storm Raven, both 5man squads that disembarked and an Ironclad Dreadnought also from the Stormraven. The Stormhawk was left to 2 wounds, and he then kept his 2 characters from the Stormraven on my lines, a 5-man Terminator Squad at 9" (who failed the charge) at my left flank, and 15 Primaris as his static gunline. Next turn hi killed 2-3 more drones, charged with his characters to kill 4 Breachers and 3 Pathfinders, and did nothing else. On my 2nd turn, I basically killed everything but 4 Primaris, a Captain (also on his gunline), and the 5 Terminators. He called it game, as he basically could have killed 2-3 models in his turn, and he was being tabled end T3 for sure.
He basically had nothing to do at any point of the battle.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#58 » Jan 22 2018 08:32

Sounds like some great games JancoBCN. Morale wasn't a problem with the big drone squads?

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#59 » Jan 22 2018 09:12

Had another two games this weekend:

Outcome: L
Opponent: AdMech - Stygies
Competitive/Casual: Casual
Format: Eternal war (First mission, always hold 3 cards)
List Theme: Farsight Enclaves - QFC, Coldstar, 3x Crisis, 2x Stealth, Y'Vahra, 2x Drones (marker+shield mix)
Experience: 5+ Years casual, one tournament.
Additional Info: I got first turn, opponent put two of the chicken walkers right in front of me. Rest of his army was deployed on the other side of the board, mostly out of range.
Dice rolls saw the Y'Vahra do a grand total of 3 wounds to his chickens with the flamer, as he rolled almost all of his 6+ saves.
Game quickly turned into a battle of attrition which I couldn't win simply due to worse BS over the board, while getting rubbish objectives.
Ended after turn 3 so we could all have another go, at that moment I was trailing 5-4 in points, but nearly wiped while he still had 3 Onagers and 6 Cataphron Destroyers.

Opponent: Space Marines - Salamanders
Format: Eternal war (Fourth mission, always hold 3 cards, can't drop Secure Objective X)
List Theme: Farsight Enclaves - QFC, Coldstar, 3x Crisis, 2x Stealth, Y'Vahra, 2x Drones (marker+shield mix)
Experience: 5+ Years casual, one tournament.
Additional Info: It was my opponents 3th game ever, so we played very casual, not protecting the Y'Vahra as good as I could with shield drones. However my rolling turned around and the 3 shield drones I had saved me from 10 lascannon shots.
Again we had the long side deployment, so took some turns to get my full army into action, but once I hit, it hit like a brick.

Really hoping full suits without commander spam or forgeworld will be viable after the codex, as I really love the look on my opponents face when 10 suits and 15 drones come in from orbit :biggrin:

TauGeorge
Shas

Post#60 » Jan 22 2018 09:29

My First game in several months.

Points/PL: 1000 pts
Opponent: Eldar (Iyanden)
Tournament: Local games store
Format: Kill points (doomed from the start with my drones being classed as separate units after deployment)
List Theme: Breachers x2, no suits other than Commander x2 (wanted to field the models gathering dust)
Experience: Only started playing since 8th edition was released. Probably my 8th game too
Additional Info: Faired very well after 3 turns. But was doomed to lose after I deep stricked my commanders together and they whiffed against 2 Wraithlords and were both killed before my next turn. Forge world Hammerhead with high yield missle pods did well finishing off targets. Breachers faired well. Pathfinders with Rail rifles are awersome when they hit (4 wounds from one guy on a Wraithlord scared the hell out of my mate). MVP had to go to my drone squad of 7 Gun drones. The last one killed his farseer in melee, survived the next turn in combat with 5 Wraithguard then flew into the path of a Wraithlord and died as I was trying to get linebreaker.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#61 » Jan 22 2018 09:56

Opponent: Guard / Deathwatch
Tournament: N/A
Format: Open War, Hammer and Anvil, Contest both objectives at end of opponents turn, break army into 3 groups
List Theme: Hyper Aggressive Stealth Rush
Experience: 20+ Years with tournaments
Additional Info: It was my first game with my new ghostkeel. I always felt like I had the initiative as the only target available to the guard 1st turn was the ghostkeel which went undamaged the whole game. I got my 2 5 man stealth suit teams and crisis suits with gun drones in the middle of my opponents home base 1st turn and that area just became a meat grinder as I burned eventually through over 60 guardsmen. I'm really liking this set up. It was fun to see his eyes when he deployed his terminators in deep strike first and then I put my stealth suits almost right on his deployment zone behind some LOS blocking terrain. He didn't expect me to be that aggressive.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#62 » Jan 22 2018 10:12

Arka0415 wrote:Sounds like some great games JancoBCN. Morale wasn't a problem with the big drone squads?

They were great indeed.

Morale wasn't really a problem at any point, given that my CFB had the Inspiring Leader Warlord Trait, and was always close to the Ethereal, giving Ld10 to each squad. Also, Shield drones are VERY resilient, so my Opponents always have a hard time dealing with them enough to matter in the morale check, and if they focus fire in only one squad (Punisher Gatling Cannon, for example), once your Shield drones fall, Gun drones end up dying almost always anyway.

I just had to do 2 morale checks in both games (both vs Black Templars) one with 5 casualties (D6-5 would had to run), and the other one with 6 (D6-4 here), so I passed both no problem. And vs the AM player I had 8 drones from a single unit killed at one point, but I autopassed the check with 2CP to deny him 2 victory points for that round (I wouldn't have cared if it fled otherwise).

So I would have lost a maximum of 4 drones in total due to morale in the worst case scenario, great news IMO

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#63 » Jan 22 2018 11:37

Ok! Time for an UPDATE!!

Sorry this took me awhile, I was having some connectivity problems on the workstation where the log for this is kept

Overall: 63.6%

Competitive: 62.6%

Casual: 64.9%

Looks like we aren't doing so bad as a community for what I would consider active and invested Tau players.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

LongSteelShadow
Shas

Post#64 » Jan 22 2018 03:06

Commanders,

Just had my second set of games as part of an escalation league. We started at 250 pts and will be going to 1000 points.

Game 1
Points/PL: 250 pts
Opponent: Necrons
Format: Other
List Theme: FireBlade / Fire Warrior spam
Experience: 3 games
Additional Info: Tabled my opponent on turn 3, he underestimated how many shots I would get after he teleported his immortals into rapid fire range. He also tried charging me with some scarab bases but it didn't go well for him.

Game 2
Points/PL: 250 pts
Opponent: Death Guard
Competitive/Casual:Casual
Format: Other
List Theme: FireBlade / Fire Warrior Spam
Experience: 3 games
Additional Info: I could have won, but I wasn't aggressive enough moving my warriors forward to try and capture an objective. He beat me by getting first blood... I made a few mistakes by staying in one spot as well as underestimating how far his bolters could shoot (18in rapid fire!) and once I had him down to just a couple of guys he LoS me and I wasn't able to get into position to finish him.

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#65 » Jan 23 2018 03:56

Draaen wrote:Outcome: W
Opponent: Guard / Deathwatch
Format: Open War, Hammer and Anvil, Contest both objectives at end of opponents turn, break army into 3 groups
Additional Info: It was my first game with my new ghostkeel. I always felt like I had the initiative as the only target available to the guard 1st turn was the ghostkeel which went undamaged the whole game. I got my 2 5 man stealth suit teams and crisis suits with gun drones in the middle of my opponents home base 1st turn and that area just became a meat grinder as I burned eventually through over 60 guardsmen. I'm really liking this set up. It was fun to see his eyes when he deployed his terminators in deep strike first and then I put my stealth suits almost right on his deployment zone behind some LOS blocking terrain. He didn't expect me to be that aggressive.

Awesome, Draaen! Looks like an interesting set up of stealth suits there... I did a similar thing but with 2x 3-man squads with one Fusion Blaster and I definitely missed 1 or 2 guys more per unit, in order to lock up some tank/mortar/infantry squad in combat to be protected from shooting. I will give your configuration a try!

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#66 » Jan 24 2018 01:11

JancoBCN wrote:Awesome, Draaen! Looks like an interesting set up of stealth suits there... I did a similar thing but with 2x 3-man squads with one Fusion Blaster and I definitely missed 1 or 2 guys more per unit, in order to lock up some tank/mortar/infantry squad in combat to be protected from shooting. I will give your configuration a try!

I like the 2x5 configuration. You definitely don't need to worry about durability on the unit as they'll survive a snot ton of fire. I gave the squad leader a drone controller since he would be in range of the gun drones for the crisis suits deep strike. You end up with a very durable unit mid-late game as they won't be the main focus after your commanders have dropped in. I'm curious to see if you like the set up.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#67 » Jan 29 2018 09:43

Outcome: Draw
Opponent: Custodes
Format: Eternal War
Additional Info: First time out with Shadowsun so I tried to make a really durable stealth castle with a ghostkeel 2x5 stealth suits and shadowsun as part of my general TAC list. My opponent had Custodes with Guilliman and some guard regiments for CPs. I was a little too committed to my concept and my ghostkeel got wrecked T1 because I didn't deploy properly and give it enough deep strike protection. All told my opponent went first which got him first blood and got him the draw. Custodes are tough to remove. I'll be adding an ATS to my flamer suits and I think I'll be giving the ghostkeel an early warning override and the fusion loadout. It should help me protect my castle from deep striking threats.and force people to shoot further then 12" away from the ghostkeel. Pretty confident if I had gone first I'd have won.
Last edited by Draaen on Jan 29 2018 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#68 » Jan 29 2018 11:17

Additional Info: First time out with Shadowsun so I tried to make a really durable stealth castle with a ghostkeel 2x5 stealth suits and shadowsun as part of my general TAC list. My opponent had Custodes with Guilliman and some guard regiments for CPs. I was a little too committed to my concept and my ghostkeel got wrecked T1 because I didn't deploy properly and give it enough deep strike protection. All told my opponent went first which got him first blood and got him the draw. Custodes are tough to remove. I'll be adding an ATS to my flamer suits and I think I'll be giving the ghostkeel an early warning override and the fusion loadout. It should help me protect my castle from deep striking threats.and force people to shoot further then 12" away from the ghostkeel. Pretty confident if I had gone first I'd have won.

Need to change your outcome at the beginning of your post to what the actual result was so we have accurate information. :)

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#69 » Jan 29 2018 01:50

Yojimbob wrote:

Need to change your outcome at the beginning of your post to what the actual result was so we have accurate information. :)

Thanks it has been changed!

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#70 » Jan 30 2018 06:41

Update!

Opponent: Imperial soup (Astra Militarum, Grey Knights, Celestine)
List Theme: Deep strike Heavy and 2 Y'vahras:
2xY'vahra, 2xCommander (3xFB, Multi-tracker), 1xCommander (3xAirbursting fragmentation projector, ATS), 1xColdstar, 3xHazard (ATS, 4xShield Drones each), 1x9 Shield Drone, and some MSU Fire warrior units w/ markerlight (to hold some objectives, to get 3CPs and to deploy all my Deep strike units in a Manta hold)
Additional Info:
    T1: I got first turn, advanced with one Y'vahra and all the drones, and deployed some Manta stuff. Only killed Screening units. The 2nd Y'vahra was sent to the sky with her Nova Reactor ability (for the first time ever).
    His 1st turn was burtal: His Draigo and other Psykers (6 in total) did like 20 mortal wounds spread to my army, 8 of them to my Y'vahra. With that, shooting and combat he killed lots of drones, a Hazard and a FB Commander. My Y'vahra was left with 2 wounds at the end of round 1.
    T2: I deployed the Y'vahra, and the rest of my deepstrikers. I killed a tank and damaged the other. I only killed 3 GK paladins with my Y'vahra's overcharged weapons.
    In his T2 he made a mistake with his psykers and could not reach my 12 wound Y'vahra, as she was out of sight from them. He then killed the very wounded one and, all my drones and also another Hazard; and left my Coldstar with 1 wound in Close Combat.
    T3: My Coldstar Advanced to be out of Celestine's reach, and went to kill units tactically (very important for that mission). Killed his last Leman Russ with my FBCommander, and with my Y'vahra killed Celestine and the remaining Paladines. Celestine was reborn next to my Coldstar.
    In his turn hi killed my Coldstar, but his Psychic phase was really weak. He just did 3 mortal wounds to my Y'vahra. He then tried to finish her with draigo (at 2++) in close combat, but I rolled 17 in 3D6 of the Plasma Flamer's overwatch, and wounded 15. He failed 4 saves, so Draigo out.
    T4: I started poping psykers and characters with my FBCommander, Hazard and Y'vahra, while my AFProjector Commander kept dealing with 10-man squads. With only one threat left with Celestine (who was 30" away from any of my remaining units) and with 9 victory points behind, he conceded.

Close match, and one of the best ones I've had in a really long time.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#71 » Feb 05 2018 01:37

Points/PL: 2000 pts
Opponent: Blood Angels
Format: http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/cfc7af_65f2778311454a84ac4f8a88c8fb46a2.pdf
List Theme: Commanders, drones, Y'varha
Experience: Since Tau were born, lots of tournament play
Additional Info: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=27263&p=346430#p346430

Points/PL: 2000 pts
Opponent: Ultramarines
Format: Maelstrom of war, Deadlock, Hammer and Anvil
List Theme: Unoptimized garbage to test my skill
Experience: Since Tau were born, lots of tournament play
Additional Info: Opponent ran Bobby G and a Stormraven and I ran zero commanders. He won 14 to 12.

Zadocfish
Shas'Saal

Post#72 » Feb 05 2018 02:27

For being in a "bad place" right now, we certainly seem to win a lot...
I am a Christian.

Return to “Battle Reports”