Tau Win Percentage Log

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Tau Win Percentage Log

Post#1 » Jan 10 2018 10:59

Fellow Tau Commanders,

I think it is important for us to document our games leading up to the release of our Codex as a way to better illustrate our struggles and see how things have changed after our Codex drops. An easy way to do this is to document our win/loss and get some good statistics that we can compare against once our post codex meta settles.

There is a similar effort that was started on Dakka Dakka a while back for all armies, but has since lost steam. I'd like to pick up where they left off but just for the Tau. Additionally, I'd like to add some amplifying info to each report that will help us understand things more clearly.

I'm asking players to fill out the following info, and I will periodically go in and compile the data to try to develop some meaningful non-anecdotal findings.

Outcome: W/L
Points/PL:
Opponent:
Competitive/Casual:
Tournament: Name of Tournament LVO/NOVA/Local or just say N/A if it wasn't one
Format: ITC/NOVA/Book/Other
List Theme: Commander Spam/Drone Spam/Heavy Manta Strike/Etc...
Experience: 10+ Years/Tournament Player/Complete new person/Etc...
Additional Info:Any thoughts you had about the match or things you had trouble dealing with (try to keep this to just a few sentences)

For those interested, here is the link to the other study https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/730601.page

The current W/L ratio reported their is 78 W /105 L or 42.6%

I encourage people to not feel embarrassed reporting losses. Getting accurate counts of both wins AND losses is the only way to make sure these numbers are accurate.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau Win Percentage Log

Post#2 » Jan 10 2018 11:06

Outcome: L
Opponent: Death Guard
Competitive/Casual: Competitive
Tournament: N/A
Format: NOVA - Escalating point value objectives
List Theme: Heavy Manta Strike
Experience: 20+ Years with some tournament play
Additional Info: Had a hard time dealing with his ability to turn units essentially into characters. Made it impossible to get his troops off of objectives. His cultists and pox walkers combo also meant he ended the game with more models than he started with.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 10 2018 11:11

Outcome: W
Opponent: Space Wolves and Blood Angels Death Company
Competitive/Casual: Casual
Format: Book - Eternal War - Secure and Control
Experience: 20+ Years with some tournament play
Additional Info: Space Wolves player second game ever with list built by someone else. Blood Angels player took 1500 points of Death Company and spent most of his time hunting my teammate's Belakor due to personal (but friendly) vendetta.

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 10 2018 11:53

does historical data from 8th edition release up to now help as well? If so, I'll post a bunch of stuff I have recorded later on :biggrin:
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 10 2018 12:06

Ghostly Daemon wrote:does historical data from 8th edition release up to now help as well? If so, I'll post a bunch of stuff I have recorded later on :biggrin:

Yes please!!!

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 10 2018 12:43

Okay, I'll get started with my previous tournament results, as I can find those back in the score list :)
Will try to keep a tally from now on.

Points/PL: 2000
Opponent: Alpha Legion
Tournament: Generals of the West Dutch GT
Format: Other (Close to ETC I've been told --> No forgeworld, max 3 duplicates per entry, no duplicate detachments)
List Theme: Infantry Heavy with supplementing suits (Broadsides, Ghostkeels, Stealth Suits and Commanders)
Experience: 5+ Years casual, first tournament.
Additional Info: AL list had 10 terminators with lord + sorcerer and 16 berzekers. Got pushed back into corner very early, while doing equal damage heavily lost on the Maelstrom half. Ghostkeels were MVP in keeping the berzerkers back.

Opponent: AdMech - Mars
Format: Other (Close to ETC I've been told --> No forgeworld, max 3 duplicates per entry, no duplicate detachments)
List Theme: Infantry Heavy with supplementing suits (Broadsides, Ghostkeels, Stealth Suits and Commanders)
Additional Info: List was built around the 1960's space bots and a knight on a very center open map. Putting the objectives mostly in terrain I destroyed the knight T1 and then only came in range of his army with the ghostkeels, forcing him to 6+ to hit rolls. (He used the stratagem to T1 override their protocol, blocking them from moving). Won on objectives.

Opponent: Alpha Legion + Another legion.. not sure anymore which.
List Theme: Infantry Heavy with supplementing suits (Broadsides, Ghostkeeles, Stealth Suits and Commanders)
Additional Info: Got the seize, nearly downing Magnus in T1, but forgot to bring in the fusion commander (It was a long day..). Abysmal rolling after that saw the game swinging both ways into a very near loss. Again the ghostkeels were MVP in holding back a lot of firepower.

Opponent: AdMech - Stygies (? The -1 forgeworld)
List Theme: Infantry Heavy with supplementing suits (Broadsides, Ghostkeeles, Stealth Suits and Commanders)
Additional Info: My opponent suggested I should get an award for worst rolling; 'nuff said. Got slaughtered. Ghostkeel wasn't able to kill 10 priests in 5 turns. Literally did most of my damage in overwatch, as he had 5 of his chickens charging me T1 thanks to his stratagem to deploy 9" away.

Additional Info: Opponent was scared to move his army away from Mortarion for some reason, which he already showed in deployment. I created a bait relatively close to the center of the board to surround him, which worked.
Mortarion got shot down in 2 turns, with some small arms killing a plague marine and/or poxwalker here or there.
MVP this game would be the sunshark, which really helped in downing the relatively tough plague marines.

Overall my take on the tournament was that my list was not mobile enough. With 2x Ghostkeel, 1 squad of Stealth suits and 2 commanders as my main speed I couldn't cover enough ground quickly enough.
A hidden gem for me was the disembarking of the bomber drones once damaged, with their 20" movement speed they make good objective grabbers in a bind, especially as first floor of ruins counted as LoS blocking terrain.

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jan 10 2018 12:46

Outcome: Victory
Opponent: Tiraniyd
Format: Eternal War - Secure and Control
List Theme: Battlesuit Focus - 1 X Y'vahra | 4 x CIB Crisis | 1 X Commander | 1 X XV84 Commander | 1 X Coldstar | 2 x Hazards | Pathfinders
Experience: 10 Years colector / List Downloader / casual player / try hard
Additional Info: Fought against 2 X Hive Tyrants | 1 X 30 Termagants Unit | Genestealer spam
This has been the first deploy of a XV84 Commander using two CIB's to deploy with deep strike crisis. With this and the CA stratagem marking 2 units per turn was easy, the test showed it could be possible to have only one unit of pathfinders in the game. The Termagant unit in deep strike did a lot of damage on the Crisis team and its drones out of cover, yet the hazards prove once again to be the best option against hordes. Genestealers were not much of a problem good deployment and running to high places did a lot, of course Y'vie did a great job and survived the battle.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 6500 PTS

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jan 10 2018 01:30

Outcome: Defeat
Points/PL: 100 Power
Opponent: Drukhari, Mechanized Infantry
Format: Death Match
List Theme: Gunline with Manta Strikes
Experience: 1st Match!
Additional Info: Drukhari Ravagers are Suit Killers

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jan 10 2018 07:21

This sounds like a huge undertaking, keep up the good work. Just for your own sanity, maybe it'd be best to collect less information though? Just opposing faction, game result, and experience maybe? Would make the final data easier to read I think. Anyway, here are the battles I remember:

-

Outcome: Draw
Points/PL: 1250 Points
Opponent: Tau
Tournament: N/a
Format: Standard
List Theme: Mixed Battlesuits/Pathfinders
Experience: Since 2008
Additional Info: Shield Drones are great for protecting battlesuits.

Points/PL: 3000 Points
Opponent: Adeptus Mechanicus
List Theme: Mixed Gunline/Commander Spam
Additional Info: Not all Tau units have FTGG.

Points/PL: 750 Points
Opponent: Tyranids
Additional Info: Counter-deep strike with battlesuits is effective against solo deep-striking units.

Points/PL: 1500 Points
Opponent: Imperium
Additional Info: Remember to deploy your drones in front of your battlesuits!

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 10 2018 08:36

Thanks everyone! Keep them coming!!! Also, feel free to link to your more detailed BATREPs under the additional info section.

Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jan 10 2018 09:07

There's a TON of Tau players on the Tau Facebook group, and getting their feedback would help a ton. I tried doing something similar a couple months ago, and just about every single person was against it though, so good luck.

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jan 11 2018 05:25

Points/PL: 750pts
Opponent: Skitarii
Competitive/Casual: Semi-Comp
Format: Open War
List Theme: Balanced
Experience: <2 years of 40k
Additional Info: We pulled the limited range Twist from Open War, it pretty much killed any advantage I had. Dunecrawlers and Kastelans are horrible and will not die.

Points/PL: 750pts
Opponent: Chaos
Format: Dawn of War deployment, TacOb
List Theme: Gunline
Additional Info: Bringing a friend back into 40k after he left a few years ago. Completely casual and fun game.

Points/PL: 500pts
Opponent: Imperial Guard
Format: Dawn of War deployment, TacObs
List Theme: Gunline + Suit support
Additional Info: Fusion Commanders destroy Leman Russes & Sentinels. Lasguns barely give us a sunburn. Heavy weapons squads can be an issue when you've run out of drones.

Opponent: Orks
Format: Open War, Relic
List Theme: Gunline + Stealth Suits
Additional Info: A full unit of Boyz that Da Jump straight into your Gunline is not fun. Pulling out of combat and allowing your other to tear them apart is very fun.

Format: Open War, Capture Objectives
List Theme: Gunline + Stealth Suits
Additional Info: Plague Marines are difficult to kill, no matter how many dice you can throw at the problem. The game ended up being extremely close however.

Points/PL: 60PL
Opponent: Eldar (pre Codex)
Format: Dawn of War, Kill Points
List Theme: Totally Unbalanced (I even used a HRR Broadside!)
Additional Info: This was about a week after 8th edition release. Eldar Jet Bike spam didn't fare very well against a Hamerhead and a Broadside. Crisis Suits with Burst Cannons may not be competitive now, but in this battle they provided the perfect distraction when they Manta Struck in.

This isn't every single battle I've played, I've got a lot of data saved but unfortunately I do not remember many of the points values or game types we played. My overall Win Percentage is 35% out of 32 plays since 8th edition release, so take that as you will :P My group has a habit of playing doubles or 2 vs 1 quite a lot, so I've opted to omit those from this!
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jan 11 2018 09:42

Points/PL: 1000+1000 vs 2000
Opponent: 2k Dark Angels
Format: Index+Codices
List Theme: Mixed
Experience: new person (First year playing 40k)
Additional Info:

Outcome: Tie agreed
Points/PL: 1000
Opponent: Ultramarines
Additional Info: We agree a draw for lack of time.

Points/PL: 1500
Additional Info: Horror game. I feel like I was in some horror movie, with ALL that monsters running everywhere towards me. Terrifying.

Opponent: Astra Militarum
Competitive/Casual: Casual but we both were unbeaten in our friendly league, so was VERY "competitive"
Additional Info: The most difficult game I had lately.
Astra is really a thought enemy (his Leman Russ tanks, in fact).
Due to scenary rules he started winning 6-1 vps, and the mission didn't allow me to gain more vps, so my only hope was table him, which I barely did.
We ended 11-2 victory points for him. A really unbalanced match in objectives terms. He was VERY lucky with the cards drawing.
I love the I'varha now.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jan 11 2018 10:30

Opponent: Orks (Rich Kilton actually :D )
Competitive/Casual: Semi-Competitive (casual atmosphere, but we are both very good players)
Tournament: Valhalla (hit me up if you ever want to go)
Format: Codex - Relic
Experience: 20+ Years, some tournaments
Additional Info: Check out this link for a brief rundown at the bottom of the list build http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=27101 Also, despite my complete whiff on turn 1, Rich was an absolute pleasure to play with and against. Never have I had such a great time having such horrible dice rolls.

Opponent: Admech (Army wide -1 to shooting)
Competitive/Casual: Super Competitive (tournament prep for top tier Admech player)
Tournament: N/A (LVO Prep)
Format: ITC
Experience: 20+ Years, some tournaments
Additional Info: He didn't really know where to deploy his force since all I had on the table was the stealth suits and drones. He had a 5-man assault chicken walker unit and a 3 man shooty chicken walker unit with 2 sniper squads in cover on my left flank with shooty Castellans and HQ support on my right with troops and another HQ in the middle. I went after the chicken walker groups, downing both sniper teams with flamers and 3 of the assault chicken walkers and 2 of the shooty ones through CIB and Fusion fire. He picked off a few drones with shooting and got into assault with the remaing walkers, but I was able to pass everything off to drones. The battle took place mostly out of LoS of the castellans thanks to positioning. In the end, all he had left was 2 out of 4 castellans and a couple troops. Due to good secondary objective choices, he was able to pull to within 1 pt, but I still got the W.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jan 11 2018 10:32

Kerrygan wrote:Outcome: W
Points/PL: 1000+1000 vs 2000
Opponent: 2k Dark Angels
Additional Info:

Outcome: Tie agreed
Points/PL: 1000
Opponent: Ultramarines
Additional Info: We agree a draw for lack of time.

Points/PL: 1500
Additional Info: Horror game. I feel like I was in some horror movie, with ALL that monsters running everywhere towards me. Terrifying.

Opponent: Astra Militarum
Competitive/Casual: Casual but we both were unbeaten in our friendly league, so was VERY "competitive"
Additional Info: The most difficult game I had lately.
Astra is really a thought enemy (his Leman Russ tanks, in fact).
Due to scenary rules he started winning 6-1 vps, and the mission didn't allow me to gain more vps, so my only hope was table him, which I barely did.
We ended 11-2 victory points for him. A really unbalanced match in objectives terms. He was VERY lucky with the cards drawing.
I love the I'varha now.

Are the last two supposed to be Losses? The Nids one is ambiguous, but the AM one sounds like you lost. Please edit if so.

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jan 11 2018 10:47

CDR_Farsight wrote:.
Are the last two supposed to be Losses? The Nids one is ambiguous, but the AM one sounds like you lost. Please edit if so.

No, no.
Both wins.
In both of them I tabled my opponent.
In the Tyranid one I was losing 5-7 but finally wipe his entire army.
In the Astra Militarum match, I was losing heavily, with no chance of victory points winning, so after round 1 was clear that my only hope to win was table my opponent. Which I manage to accomplish in round 5 after a favorable dice roll to see if the match continue.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jan 11 2018 11:02

Kerrygan wrote:
CDR_Farsight wrote:.

No, no.
Both wins.
In both of them I tabled my opponent.
In the Tyranid one I was losing 5-7 but finally wipe his entire army.
In the Astra Militarum match, I was losing heavily, with no chance of victory points winning, so after round 1 was clear that my only hope to win was table my opponent. Which I manage to accomplish in round 5 after a favorable dice roll to see if the match continue.

Ah, ok. Didn't see that! Thanks!!!

Nowonmai
Shas

Post#18 » Jan 11 2018 01:39

Points/PL: 1250
Opponent: Blood Angels
Format: Book: Tactical Gambit
List Theme: Suit Heavy/ Vanguard detachment
Experience: 6 months exp. Still fairly new.
Additional Info: Tabled my opponent in the 5th round. We tied in points however. He had no heavy armour that I had to concern myself with. I got a lot of nice overwatch rolls with For the Greater Good assists which prevented most of his charges from really hurting me. Actually wiped out a couple units in cc with a Ghostkeel and stealth suit unit teamed up. The ATS certainly helped with that.
When the foe has certainty, confuse it.
When the foe seeks you out, device it
When the foe shows weakness, slay it.

Return to “Battle Reports”