Crisis in the City... Cerberus Unbound

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
White Knight
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Crisis in the City... Cerberus Unbound

Post#1 » Nov 15 2006 05:16

Yes, this in Battle Reports again.

No, the report itself isn't up yet, but should be this weekend - Real Life â„¢ can really be a drain, y'know?

Still, it wouldn't be one of my battle reports without first setting the scene. Interesting note; the scene involving El'ny'eldi adequately sums up what happened to the tau player who faced my opponent before me. I feel for him, I really do.

+++

Lunging wildly down the dilapidated road way, the retreating skimmer trailed a tongue of fire that licked at battered armour-plate and threatened to engulf the lone remaining crewman as he desperately sought shelter. Control yoke wrenched to his chest, the pilot bullied his dying craft around, drawing a line of sparks from the port stabiliser as it gazed the ruined structure hurtling past him. He had but scant heartbeats left to live.

A finger, trained by years of experience and a will of iron, gently squeezed the firing stud on the controller. Upon the Heads-up display, a pulsing blue icon fluttered then solidified, denoting the release of yet another salvo of rail fire. Housed snugly within the barrel of the M3R, parallel tracks of magnetic coils pulsed rapidly, sending the payload on its way at near hypersonic velocities. As they found release from their containment, the solid slugs tore into the open air, ripping pressurised molecules apart with such power and friction that the air itself ignited. In the blink of an eye, the wispy trail of flame connected with the fleeing land speeder - which by then was already dead; it had simply to experience the results of the shots that had killed it. Volatile liquids mixed with the lapping flames of the already damaged craft, sparking suddenly, then detonating with a banshee-like howl of glass-shattering thunder, sending the now flaming wreckage barrel-rolling down the street, colliding with a ruined wall, then tumbling end over end, coming to rest by one of the few remaining unblemished light posts in the entire city.

"Nice shot, boss". Ui'var still managed to sound just a little irreverent, but nevertheless projected a very business-like aura, even over the static laden comm. channel. It wasn't the mindless prattle of an underling trying to carry favour; it was one professional respecting the skills of another.

No matter how good the shot had seemed, Shas'el Elsy'eir Tyen B'saal Shi was displeased, uncomfortable and uneasy. Every sense he had muttered hummed and sucked its teeth sceptically, knowing full well that something quite central and major was wrong.

This was the fourth time in as many decs that they had engaged their potential target; an elite strike force that had merrily ploughed its way through no less than five entire cadres without so much as an audible distress call. When first called to engage this threat, El'tyen's cadre had been a hodgepodge of half assembled units, with some running on little more than spittle, binding cord and the will of the Greater Good, while others had been unable to join the hunt due to their sorry state of repairs. As it was, the Fio tech staff had worked wonders - his cadre's second Crisis Team, Stalker, was now on station, providing his force with a much needed boost in firepower...

Now, however, this made him uneasy; since their first engagement, the foe had become especially cagey. They met little more than fast, light patrols each time they engaged; certainly nothing that had come thus far could have caused such wholesale slaughter.

An icon flashed on his HUD, showing an incoming comm. link coming through. Blinking at it, the channel crackled as Vre'wynn spoke.

"Shas'el, I've just been relayed a D-call from Kau'ui Ny'eldi - automated, and very brief".

A D-call? From El'ny'eldi? Not like him to push the panic button. El'tyen clenched his jaw thoughtfully. "Relayed?".

"Came via Echo La'rua; Vre'kosh is heading back after a deep recon sortie - picked it up off a picket drone".

El'tyen nodded to himself. "What's the bearing?"

+++

The ground shook; masonary trembled in a slow, pulsing crescendo of raw kinetic power.

Listening to the sound, feeling it through his shattered bones, Shas'el Ny'eldi knew he was dead already; he could feel his life-blood draining from countless wounds that were now numbing the once-excruciating pain that had marked his demise. Given how widespread they were, he was surprised to be conscious at all.

Rain seeped in through a large chevron-like rend in the Xor'vesa's front armour, drizzling a morbid blanket of moisture over the remains of his battle suit, running into small rivulets that trickled endlessly to the paving below, diluting the blood and mechanical fluids that themselves dripped from the suit in watery puddles of black.

All around him, he knew the remains of his shas lay dead and dying. None of them had stood a chance; he knew that - not that it eased the pain of failure.

The tremors grew louder; the same perpetual rhythm, yet each shudder heavier than the last. In his narrow field of vision, the dying tau saw a crumbling wall collapse in on itself as it was literally shaken apart.

He hadn't much time left. But focusing on anything seemed to drain him further, closer to the brink.

For the Greater Good, then. The thought galvanised the last of his strength.

"Ve-v-vesa?" He stammered weakly.

++Warning; All Primary Systems at Zero; Registering Fatal Wounds to Pilot; Primary Locomotion at Zero; Secondary Locomotion Error; Limb Not Found; Leak in Fusion Pile dete-++

"Acq-uire KV....-Zero-Seven".

++Target Acquired; Warning! Proximity Alert! Recommend Evasive Action++

The air outside the cockpit suddenly seemed darker. The beaten and broken battlesuit itself seemed to shudder.

"A-a...ah...Align.. comm....las..r".

++Aligning...Detecting Lock-On Error; Lock-On at Eighty-Three percent; Collision Imminent!++

Shadow passed over El'ny'eldi; the air roared with mechanical thunder.

"S-send D-call".

++D-call aw-++

Darkness fell.

+++

"Shas'kosh, did you get that?"

Rain drizzled continuously across the city, but in one broken down alley way, the drizzle was having a rather unexpected argument with Gravity. Probability would have frowned at the scene in bemusement, while Physics and Fate would most likely have shouted "Eureka", run off down the street without a towel and run smack into each other; the rain simply failed to hit the ground in several places, despite there apparently being absolutely nothing but sky above.

It was moments like this that Vre'kosh lived for.

A tepid crackle of lightning briefly illuminated the Stealth La'rua faster than the Stealth Field on their scout suits could handle, momentarily betraying the presence of three angular, bulky figures and four disc-like objects. Waiting for the camouflage gear on his suit to catch up, Vre'kosh raised his hand out as if to tap something in front of him.

Inside the suit, the action of his arm manipulated the HUD before his eyes, allowing him to call up a stream of data, including the brief message burst his team had just picked up. His eyes flicked to the location stamp on the message, noting where it had come from.

"Echo, ammo check".

Despite the lack of explanation, his team mates rattled off a manual check of their remaining ammunition, removing the cylindrical clip at the rear of their burst cannon, looking at the rounds contained within, before slotting the clip back in place. Vre'kosh performed a checked of his own; he had less than an eighth of his original ammo load - it had been a fruitful excursion. Tapping the cylinder twice against the head of his suit, he slapped the magazine back into place and locked it. "Barely point-one".

His team mates confirmed his fears. "Point-one, also".

"Point-zero-three". Ui'raus delivered the admission with a hint of satisfaction in his voice - most of the rounds that now failed to occupy the magazine had killed Gue'la infantry and armour today.

Blinking at the comms icon of the HUD, Vre'kosh opened a channel.

"Vesa, relay through KV-24 to Kau'ui Tyen B'saal Shi. Message reads as follows; Distress call from Kau'ui Ny'eldi; Echo requesting instructions".

++Relay open. Attach D-call transcript?++

"Confirmed; Attach and Send".

+++

"This could be the break we've needed. Shas'vre," El'tyen growled. "Did you get a fix on location?"

"Copy that, Shas'el. Came through the Drone relay we installed - Kor'vesa-zero-seven was point of origin. Area seems pretty built up; we could hide a whole Manta in there and no-one would find it".

"Quite, Shas'vre - we entered the area just over a dec ago. If not for the drone relay, I doubt we'd be able to talk".

"Shall we proceed ahead of the Kau'ui, Shas'el? We're not far...."

El'tyen interrupted calmly yet firmly. "Vre'kosh, your telemetry says that your ammo is beyond critical levels. Can you confirm?"

There was an audible pause. "No it doesn...". Another pause. Realisation dawned."...oh, confirmed, Shas'el". There was no disguising the brief bemusement and final frustration in the voice.

"Sorry, Shas'vre, but the reset dodge was old when I was Shas'la. Besides, your la'rua's weapon telemetry does say ‘full'... which is quite the novelty, in my experience". Grinning despite himself, El'tyen tensed his muscles to help relieve the twitch that he could feel there - they had been in the cockpit for some time, now.

"I'll remember that next time, Shas'el". The voice, while static laden, was undeniably subdued.

I'm sure you will. While bad practice, and despite the building ache in his cramped limbs, the fact that Echo had try to mask the true status of their ammo supply brought a contented smile to El'tyen's face for a moment. He had no doubt that given that their first ploy had failed, Echo would haul themselves back for resupply and be back to join the fight as soon as they could. No one leaves a D-call unanswered.

Arching his back to stretch the muscles there, El'tyen sent his instructions with the surety of one who would not be argued with. "Echo, head back to Pick-up Four-Niner - you should be able to get what you need from the Orca on station there".

"Copy, Shas'el; mo..##n#.#o###----".

The warbled channel cut out.

Only then did El'tyen notice that the aching in his limbs felt much more pronounced now. His muscles weren't cramping...

They were being shaken.

All around the Kau'ui, buildings visibly shook in a slow, thumping rhythm that threatened to start jarring teeth out; windows clattered from frames in knife-like shards, while loose masonary began pouring down from upper floors, crumbling chaotically as the timbre of the tremors grew deeper and firmer. Down the roadway, a ruin that had once been an office block reverberated so vigorously, El'tyen wondered it would remain standing much longer.

Suddenly, with an agility that belied its size, a gargantuan avatar of destruction, its head for all the world looking like the incarnation of some ancient terran myth lurched through the side of the towering ruin, sending broken bricks and scaffolding scattering around. Floors caved in and avalanched off of its heavily armoured surface, while a pall of dust billowed out from the base of the former structure. Flanked by two tracked vehicles, the bipedal war machine turned to face the Tau cadre.

El'tyen's flipped on his external speakers and bawled at his warriors. "Warhound! Break, Break, Break!"

+++
Last edited by White Knight on Nov 17 2006 03:09, edited 3 times in total.
Firestorm - Shoot lots and watch what drops...

Soji
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#2 » Nov 15 2006 05:39

Yay ! Another work from White Knight ! I am happy :D

They barely met more than fast, light patrols each time they engaged; certainly nothing that come have caused such wholesale slaughter.

Are you sure that's what you wanted to say ?

"Sorry, Shas'vre, but the reset dodge was old when I was Shas'la. Besides, I've your la'rua's weapon telemetry does say ‘full'... which is a rarety". Grinning despite himself, El'tyen tensed his muscles to help relieve the twitch that he could feel there - they had been in the cockpit for some time, now.

Isn't it "I've noticed" or something , And the 'reset dodge' is a trick to pass an empty clip as a full clip, that's it ?

By the way, did he really field a warhound ? Man, that's nasty. And did I understood correctly : those are Imperial Guard ? Or maybe they are marines ...
55/1/0

Soji, as always at your service

Eltnot
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 15 2006 06:12

Another fabulous piece of work White Knight. I look forward to reading more as always.

White Knight
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 16 2006 12:27

Soji wrote:Yay ! Another work from White Knight ! I am happy :D

They barely met more than fast, light patrols each time they engaged; certainly nothing that come have caused such wholesale slaughter.

Are you sure that's what you wanted to say ?

"Sorry, Shas'vre, but the reset dodge was old when I was Shas'la. Besides, I've your la'rua's weapon telemetry does say ‘full'... which is a rarety". Grinning despite himself, El'tyen tensed his muscles to help relieve the twitch that he could feel there - they had been in the cockpit for some time, now.

Isn't it "I've noticed" or something , And the 'reset dodge' is a trick to pass an empty clip as a full clip, that's it ?

By the way, did he really field a warhound ? Man, that's nasty. And did I understood correctly : those are Imperial Guard ? Or maybe they are marines ...

Quite right on those pick ups, Soji - editing yourself is never as thorough as one would like :) Revisions applied. Thanks!

The "reset dodge" is indeed a simple little trick performed by a Shas to fool his telemetry into thinking the clip was full - no part of a Kau'ui wants to leave their fellow Tau in danger; breaking regs by looking to be at combat efficiency, just so they could join the rescue, is very much a "for the Greater Good" moment - and if someone can scrounge up ammo in the field, it would be a Stealth team. Basically, it was a nice way of writing in Vre'kosh and his team, despite the fact they missed the battle (I fielded a 1000 point force versus the Warhound - yes, as in "Scout Titan" - and an enlarged Combat Patrol of Space Marines).

Now, to check my editing for turn one and two again before I post it! :biggrin:

Soji
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#5 » Nov 16 2006 02:59

I love Warhounds, I'd like to buy one, one of these days. Unfortunately I've heard it isn't really cost effective. And did you say a Warhound at 1000 points !!?!?! You are insane, insane, that's official.

(but anyone butchering Forgeworld resine model to make a conversion is already out of their mind, right ?)
55/1/0

White Knight
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 16 2006 03:52

Me? Insane? Perish the thought! :crafty:

No, seriously - but that will become a little more apparent once the report goes up - Sun-Tzu knew what he was on about... ;)

Soji
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#7 » Nov 16 2006 05:42

I've just noticed :
Warhound in the battle, "Cerberus Unbound" in the title. Coincidence ? I think not !!
55/1/0

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#8 » Nov 16 2006 06:06

Woohoo!, WK is writing again.. my day just got that much better. Eagerly awaiting the opening shots :)

~ Tael.

Shas'El Ma'Feyn
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 16 2006 06:41

Havent been on the forums for awhile and imagine my delight when i read this..... quite the story teller white knight.

I just had to go back and read the first two and it just reinforces how great these are. I was absolutely riveted to my moniter.

Please keep up the great work as I, as well as everyone on ATT Im sure, will be eagerly anticipating the rest of the tale.

Ma'Feyn

snypergod89
Shas

Post#10 » Nov 16 2006 10:29

Have you ever considered professional fiction? Seriously... :eek:

Eagerly looking forward to the rest!!! ;)

Commander Scarleg
Kor

Post#11 » Nov 16 2006 10:59

A PA day, I buy a Skyray, and now this. WK, you just made my week!
Paintball: It's good for the blood!

Shas'o Mont'Yr Or'es Shi
Shas

Post#12 » Nov 22 2006 10:23

............neeeeeeeeeeeeeed..............moooooooooooooooorrrrrre..............must....have......more.........

no seriously...you are pure evil putting this little teaser up for us and then letting us hang forever.

anyway, glad to see the cadre back in action again. GREAT story again WK hope to see some continuation soon, keep up the good work.
"I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

White Knight
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Nov 27 2006 05:09

Credit where credit is due, as they say; special mention for our own Shas'el Tael who went to all the trouble of making the icons you see on the map for me - there are even rumblings of a Warhound Icon on the way (you can tell the difference, can't you? That one's mine!). The pics are pretty big 800 by 600 - so I rotated the pictures 90 degrees anti-clock so it would fit on the forum page without losing the detail. Any questions, please ask - most of the map stuff is self explanatory, but I'm sure there will be one or two things that I've assumed...
A couple of apologies - first, Real Life (TM) has got in the way recently - sorry folks, I need work to earn, y'know? - so it's taken an age to get my editing hat back on. As it is, I have some spots of time this week where I hope to be able to post up the following turns for your reading pleasure; aim to have turn 2 up tomorrow night (it's a doozey, trust me) and turn 3 and 4 up by Thurs/Fri. If Tael gives me a Warhound Icon amidst his own Real Life (TM), expect to see those pics edited toot-sweet!

Now, where were we?

Imperial Forces
Special Issue - Warhound Detachment
"Cerberus Unbound" - Mars class Warhound Scout Titan
  • Plasma Blast gun;
  • Vulcan Mega-bolter;
810 points
Note - Counts as having Wrecker (Stomp attack) as it moves through buildings (still subject to terrain impediments) and Siege Shells (Titan Killer Weapon).

Supporting Troops - Enhanced Combat Patrol

Troops - Tactical Squad
6 Space Marines
  • Boltgun;
90 points

Heavy Support - Devastator Squad
4 Space Marines
  • Missile Launcher;
2 Space Marines
  • Boltgun;
170 points

Heavy Support - Whirlwind
Whirlwind Missile Tank
  • Vengeance Missiles;
85 points

Heavy Support - Whirlwind
Whirlwind Missile Tank
  • Vengeance Missiles;
85 points

Fast Attack - Landspeeder Squadron
Landspeeder Tornado
  • Heavy Bolter;
  • Assault Cannon;
80 points

Fast Attack - Landspeeder Squadron
Landspeeder Tornado
  • Heavy Bolter;
  • Assault Cannon;
80 points

Total Force Cost 1400 points

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tau Forces

HQ - Shas'el El'sy'eir Tyen B'saal Shi
  • Shas'o XV8;
  • M3R(MP),
  • Plasma Pulse Accelerator Rifle (CIB),
  • Vectored Retro-thrusters,
  • Stim Injectors,
  • HW Multitracker
127 points

Elite - "Hunter La'rua" Shas'ui El'sy'eir Var Kais
  • Shas'ui Team Leader XV8;
  • M3R(MP),
  • Burst Cannon,
  • Flamer,
  • HW Drone Controller,
  • HW Multitracker,
  • Bonding Knife,
  • 2 Kor'vesa Shielders,
  • Shas'ui XV8;
  • M3R(MP),
  • Burst Cannon,
  • Multitracker
144 points

Elite - "Stalker La'rua" Shas'ui El'sy'eir Nex T'kaid
  • Shas'ui Team Leader XV8;
  • M3R(MP),
  • Burst Cannon,
  • Flamer,
  • HW Drone Controller,
  • HW Multitracker,
  • Bonding Knife,
  • 2 Kor'vesa Shielders,
  • Shas'ui XV8;
  • M3R(MP),
  • Burst Cannon,
  • Multitracker
144 points

Troops - "Archer One La'rua"
  • 6 Shas'la Fire Warriors;
  • Pulse Rifle,
60 points

Troops - "Archer Two La'rua"
  • 6 Shas'la Fire Warriors;
  • Pulse Carbine,
  • EMP Grenades,
78 points

Fast Attack - "Viper One"
  • Pirahna Light Skimmer;
  • Fusion Blaster,
  • Targeting Array,
  • 2 KV-G,
70 points

Fast Attack - "Viper Two"
  • Pirahna Light Skimmer;
  • Fusion Blaster,
  • Targeting Array,
  • 2 KV-G,
70 points

Heavy Support - "Ranger La'rua" Shas'vre El'sy'eir Wynn Mont'y'he
  • Shas'vre XV88-2;
  • Smart Missile System,
  • Linked Rail guns,
  • Advanced Gyro,
  • HW Drone Controller,
  • Bonding Knife,
  • 2 Kor'vesa Shielders,
125 points

Heavy Support - "Lancer One" Shas'ui Elsy'eir Neirra Myr
  • Hammerhead Gunship;
  • Smart Missile System,
  • Vehicle-Mounted Rail Gun,
  • Multitracker,
  • Target Lock,
  • Decoy Launchers,
180 points

999 points total

Mission - Cityfight - Maximum Attrition

++++++

"Alright, Shas; broken formation; hug cover; keep your eyes on the sky for indirect fire and for the Aun's sake, stay out of that thing's line of fire!"

As if to illustrate the venerable shas'el's words, rockets shrieked down from the sky, their vapour trails tracing an arc from near where the huge Warhound had just demolished an office block. Shrapnel flew against buckled walls and hi-tech armour, buffeting the Tau units sheltering nearby, but nothing more than the odd scrape or singed armour pauldron marked it's passing.

Fingers dancing over the controls of his tertiary display, El'tyen flinched as the ground beneath his armoured feet shuddered; the sensor screen above his HUD smeared and dissolved in white static; off to his left, the remains of the city block that had stood there gaunt and silently but moments before swarmed and writhed with rolling gouts of molten plasma fire. Walls burst, floors splintered and the fragmented remains of windows shattered into globules of liquid glass, spraying the street below with a fiery rain of scarlet embers. Giving the screen a gentle thump on the side with his hand, El'tyen's eyes caught the stalking form of the Gue'la titan pounding along a street two blocks north. Many times taller than any of his Kau'ui's xor'vesa and far more powerful than any ground weapon the Empire possessed. It wasn't just a weapon of destruction - it was an icon of the Gue'la faith.

That thought brought grim determination to El'tyen's expression. The psychological door he was presented with swung both ways - certainly, the Warhound had caused great damage to the morale of the front-line cadres, but the two-fold boost from destroying such an icon would restore much of the Fire Caste's flagging enthusiasm for engaging the foe in this area, while making the imperial forces sit up and worry. Win/win, as long as his Kau'ui could drop the thing. Easier said than done.

Looking at the surrounding terrain, the old shas noted some hardened structures to the west; probably food storage designed to last against the perpetually bad weather on this Aun-forsaken dirt-ball. I doubt our large friend will stray too close to them - he'll want a shield of infantry to stop us getting in close. If I were them, I'd...

"Vre'wynn, anchor our flank; Lancer One, swing left and watch for fast movers, but if the op arises, core the primary; everyone else use the cover on the right. Viper; hold your shots; Hunter, Stalker; we'll knock the shields down for Viper to place their hits in between clearing the infantry screen. All confirm".

A series of icons flashed green on his telemetry, while the comms clicked with affirmatives.

"Shas'el", Ui'nex's voice was taut with anticipation, "we have P.A.T.s moving around to the north west - looks like they're trying to get a firing position across our axis". Stalker La'rua's team leader grounded his suit in a battered alleyway, crushing a trash receptacle flat beneath one armoured hoof while he leaned up against the burnt out building next to him. His wingman, Ui'jarran, landed smartly behind him and huddled into cover.

"Stay in cover, don't give them cheap shots". El'tyen powered through the plaster and brick behind him, shaking loose fragments from his armoured bulk with a casual shake, then sent his suit scooting down the alleyway. As he neared the damaged and precariously held-together structure before him, the shas'el cut loose with a blistering salvo of fire from the multi-barreled plasma pulse acceleration rifle on his xor'vesa's shoulder , smacking hole after hole into the wall before him until at the last moment, twisting the battlesuit slightly, the veteran pilot thundered through the remains of the wall and grounded in a squat amidst a scene of smoke and flame. Beneath his xor'vesa's feet, water leaked randomly from a set of pipes rising from the rubble-strewn floor, while his left knee pad rested just gently against a small oval-themed bowl with the cracked remains of a hinged lid on top. Something primal in his subconscious hinted that the lid was best left closed, given the levels of methane his ‘vesa was detecting around it. Wincing distastefully, he watched as the titan lurched along behind the buildings, bursting from cover, multi-barreled weapons spinning up to speed. Even as the weapon began to howl like the namesake of it's bearer, he couldn't help his eyes flicking back, ever so briefly, to the foul container beside him. If that's the indigenous plumbing, then....

And then, mere moments after bursting through the side of the crumbling structure, chaos caught up, and fire flew.

+++

"Viper Two? Viper One. Don't get ahead of yourself, La'roh". La'colis kicked his skimmer around and arrowed north, using the ruins to his left to cover his rapid advance. Ahead of him, he could see the identical skimmer of La'roh and La'korde, pushing it's engines. The nimble skimmer banked right, then rolled over and pulled into a hard left turn, dumping speed as it approached the roadway the Warhound would be coming down. Looking back to his controls for a moment, he canted his head and spoke to his rear-seat-operator, La'jaim. "Keep your eyes wide, La'jaim; heat up the primary, we're going to need it". Hearing an affirming grunt, he cut in the etheric rudder and brought the skimmer's nose towards his cover, letting the skimmer sideslip easily over the ground. Flicking a pair of toggles with his left hand, he brought the targeting array online, checked that the fusion blaster was indeed ready, and prepared to strike.

+++

Within the armoured cockpit of the Warhound, Cerberus Unbound, Princeps Harriman Geuren could feel the beast rage. The machine spirit of his scout titan had tasted the destruction of the vile xenos scum several times this day, and now the pretenders to the Imperium's Might threw yet another offering before him.

In one of the paired seats before him, one his two moderatii uttered a brief report while focusing on his task. "Princeps; heavy infantry bearing zero-seven-three, closing to optimal".

Furrowing his brow, Geuren shifted his gaze, and that of Cerberus Unbound's primary occular array, to bear on the direction indicated; true enough, more of the heretical Tau battle suits were bounding through the tight alleys and streets. One thundered almost wildly across the thin passage in his view with a confidence that could only be borne of experience. He smiled tightly. "Increase to flank; divert power from blastgun". As the suit barreled into the burning building, the smile on the princeps' scarred face widened.

"Target the lead alien. Fire".

+++

Cliffhanger's.... what an idea!

Edit - Thanks, Tael!
Edit - Anytime, WK! ;)

White Knight
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Nov 28 2006 06:01

Ah, I love it when it comes together...

+++

The room around him disintegrated in a conflagration of armour-piercing shells and tracer rounds as one of the Warhound's primary weapon systems let fly, tearing ruthlessly in to the very heart building. His suit lurched bodily with every impact, alloy squealing against ricochets, groaning under impacts. One stream of fire cut towards him through the melee of chaotic debris; he side stepped away from it, but it followed quickly, wrenching him around as it contacted near the intake by his suit's right shoulder. Armour tore and scattered like confetti in the wind. Despite the jarring impact, El'tyen managed to perform a controlled roll with the blow, neatly ducking him under the line of fire, where he made to make his exit.

++Warning - Starboard intake hit; starboard thrust capacity at seventeen point three percent and falling; detecting break in power feed;++

Shouting to be heard above the storm of shellfire, El'tyen roared. "Vesa, shunt tertiary power to retros, now!"

++Acknowledged; diverting power from reserve to ...+++

"Absolutely!" Deaf to whatever the vesa babbled on about beyond that point, El'tyen virtually threw his xor'vesa back through the wall he'd entered through and out into the street.

+++

Seated snugly in the gunner position of her Hammerhead Gunship, Ui'neirra leant forward, flipping a row of toggles on the frame in front of her, sending power coursing to the weapon systems at her command; the tracking sphere by her left arm controlled the targeting data for the smart missile racks underneath the prow of the tank, while her right arm cradled the bulky stock and joystick of the main rail gun against her shoulder. Nestling the main weapon into a comfortable position, she flipped on the heads-up overlay; a digital reproduction of the view all around the tank flickered to life - three-hundred and sixty degrees compacted into an arc of slightly less than half. Targeting reticules floated gently in response to her movements, working her shoulders comfortable. Panning the main gun to her right, she zoomed in on the building that the enemy titan was pouring fire into; as it happened, she'd arrived just in time to see a burst of flaming debris burst forth from the office block; red-lining his jet pack, her commander erupted from the burning structure, hopped once off of the street paving, then careened into a relatively intact window frame of the building next door, shattering glass and brick in his haste to exit his previous location.

Keep your head down, Old B'saal.

A circular screen below the main display showed the main fight to the northwest as a series of white splotches on a midnight blue background; MagRes echoes of units moving and weapons firing; the largest contact to the north showing the presence of the Warhound, it's reactor pumping out power beyond anything else on the battlefield. She could also make out the two Piranha light skimmers of Viper La'rua beginning an attack run on the behemoth. Good hunting, shas.

Her attention shifted to the west, where two fast moving contacts blurred in a southerly direction. She smiled, an expression that actually seemed joyful, rather than the grimmer expressions of most shas in a similar situation. Her left hand rolled gently over the missile controller, marking her prospective targets on the screen before her.

"La'daell, keep swinging us out wide - we have company; let's meet them". The shas in the cockpit poured a touch more power to the engines as a response. The armoured frame of the Hammerhead rattled slightly in response.

"Range in point-one-six, Shas'ui. Let's up the scorecard".

"Just get us a little closer...".

+++

Ui'var scowled as the missile barrage nailed one of his Kor'vesa dead centre, splitting it open like an over-ripe fruit. He'd had enough of taking the pain; it was time to give some back. He leapt his xor'vesa towards the cover of the large food stores, plotting a route that would allow him to bring some pain back on the infantry that bustled their way through the structures to the north. "Ui'arran, with me".

The two suits flitted sideways, landing firmly enough to unload their full firepower at the squad of space marines taking up position in front of the Warhound. Both Rail weapons sang repeatedly, bracketed by a hail of pulse fire from the la'rua's burst cannon that kicked up tell-tale impacts and damage all across the front of the building opposite. The solid slugs of the M3R tore through a wall and cored the marine sheltering behind it, his dying spasm sending his bolt gun flying haphazardly backwards. Cutting in his jetpack to try and make use of the momentum they'd gained, Ui'var had enough time to make a small correction in his fire pattern, walking the stream of fire from his arm mounted rotary barrel gun into an unfortunate marine who was shifting position - the shots caught him high on the chest, one punching straight through the gue'la's neck and separating the head from the body. The now-headless marine toppled over onto it's knees, then backwards, out of sight.

Both suits landed and huddled up to the cylindrical building beside them, the remaining Kor'vesa zipping in front of Ui'var to shield him from any return fire.

+++

As he touched down briefly in the alleyway, El'tyen sighted on his erstwhile tormentor. The titan loomed large in his HUD; he lined up his own M3R and squeezed. My turn.. Both shots struck high, near the head of the machine; an azure spark and flare marked the demise of one of the war machine's precious void shields. A second bracket of fire from his right managed to acquire a similar reaction; the shields fell.

Pushing off the ground, El'tyen thundered his suit through another wall.

+++

"Watch it, Two! You're leaving yourself vulnerable! Wave off!"

La'colis wished he had a hand free to gesticulate at his wingman. The hot-headed young shas raced around the corner, just in time to see the shields on the titan fall. It was like dropping fruit in front of a starving Fio; Viper Two raced in, the two Kor'vesa peeling away to find their own targets as La'roh unleashed his fusion blaster.

Even though the machine was moving to backtrack along the street, the young shas landed his shot well - the line of fusion fire seared across the multi-barrelled Vulcan cannon on the Warhound's left arm, only to settle on melting fiercely into the main structure, where the massively thick carapace met the shoulder. Smoke washed away from the gouge, accompanied by a billowing of flames from one of the bulky vents to the rear.

"Hwah!", shouted the elated La'roh. "Now that's what I'm talking about!"

+++

As the two Landspeeders rocketed towards the tau flank, a spider's web of smoke contrails wrapped themselves around the stocky storage silo, reaching for the two machines. The two craft banked sharply, but the smoke trails converged on them like an angry shoal of flesh-eating fish; the lead speeder was swamped by impacts, thumping dead centre into the vehicle so that only scant shards of burning scrap fell to earth. The second barrel-rolled through the swarm of assailants, taking a heavy hit to the nose, wrecking the cannon that sat there, while the others missiles screamed past, detonating harmlessly behind it.

"Shot, Lancer One".

"What happened to yours, Shas'vre?"

"Keep wondering, Shas'ui".

+++

Should be a good sized portion by Thursday Night - see you then! :)

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#15 » Nov 28 2006 06:11

This is just sheer brilliance.

E.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#16 » Nov 28 2006 10:32

Fun fun fun.. sigh, I need to play more.

Tael.

Shas'o Mont'Yr Or'es Shi
Shas

Post#17 » Nov 29 2006 10:33

just out of sheer curiousity...where are you shas'la? i know you have at least 12 in the list but i have yet to see them on the maps or the writeup, this may be due to mission specific rules that im not familiar with or the fact that they contributed nothing to the game. anyway, great batrep so far, keep up the good work.
"I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Shas'O Elan Co'T Kunas
Shas

Post#18 » Nov 29 2006 11:03

:::( :::( :::( :::( :::( NEED MORE, NEED MORE, NEED MORE :::( :::( :::( :::( :::(
Shas'O Elan Co'T Kunas
(Strong but Agile)

Return to “Battle Reports”