Shooting Casualties: An Explanation and Discussion

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Re: Shooting Casualties: An Explanation and Discussion

Post#19 » Mar 17 2009 03:15

Unusualsuspect wrote:Ogryns are models with more than 2 wounds. Shooting at an unwounded squad of 3, I inflicted 2 wounds which he failed his cover save against. He had allocated them to the 2 ogryns that were not the Bonehead, and thus homogenous.

The rules for multiwound models states only that you must remove whole models as casualties if possible. He wanted to allocate 1 wound to each Ogryn.

Is this permissible, or is the wording in the multi-wound section stronger than I read it and actually requires as many unsaved wounds as possible on a single model until it is dead?

No, it isn't permissible. You inflicted two wounds, and your opponent assigned them to the two not-Boneheads - in effect, assigning them to the not-Bonehead "group." He then took saving rolls (at the same time, because they're homogenous), and failed them both. Whole models have to be taken first, so one of the Ogryns dies. If, on the other hand, the two models had been carrying different weapons, he would have rolled separately for each, and there would have been the chance that they both had one wound but no models died.

No worries, this isn't threadnomancy - you posted your question in the right place. It's stickied for a reason!

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#20 » Mar 17 2009 03:55

Ogryns have 3 wounds, which is why this confused me so much at first.

Both of the non-boneheads were unwounded. I inflicted 2 unsaved wounds to the non-bonehead homogenous group. 2 wounds, no matter how they are distributed, cannot remove an Ogryn model, and that is the main criteria for unsaved wound distribution, the removal of whole models if possible - hence my question.

That said, a more generalized reading of the rules leads me to conclude you'd have to assign 2 wounds to the same model anyway.

O'M'yen'Suam
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » Mar 17 2009 04:01

This is a really good summary, I can only see one error in it and this seem a bit pedantic but,

Elliott wrote: One of the suits has already taken one wound. Unfortunately for them, they take two more unsaved wounds from shooting: a Strength 8 lascannon shot (which will inflict Instant Death), and a regular bolter shot.

Where do you get a str 8 lascannon? They are strength 9, it doesn't affect your point as it still inficts instant death but for the sake of correctness it may be worth changing.

hahah! Well, if I had to have a mistake, then that's a good one to have. Sharp eyes and nice find! - Ell
Submission is not defeat, submission is victory!!

§plit§econd
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#22 » May 10 2010 05:21

O'M'yen'Suam wrote:Where do you get a str 8 lascannon? They are strength 9, it doesn't affect your point as it still inficts instant death but for the sake of correctness it may be worth changing.

It's a Tau Lascannon, simmilar to Tau plasma not overheating a Tau Lascannons generate no heat at all and are quite a bit smaller. Effective on volcanic worlds where overheating can actually be an issue.

Please check post dates before replying, in this case the last post was over 13 months ago. - TheAmbit
For now I don't write Tacticas, I inspire them.

Return to “Archival Datacore”