Formation units questions

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Formation units questions

Post#19 » Feb 09 2016 10:46

g0ndur wrote:Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm not that interested in Farsight, but it sounds to me that I need to buy the Kauyon book to be sure. I think the main detachment is more expensive because of mandatory bonding knives, and thus I can't use my codex for cost distribution.

How GW does things these days is very confusing on several planes.

Eh, it's not that bad. If you've bought the 7th edition codex, you do not need to buy Kauyon. Unless you want to. They simply made Kauyon into an update for the 6th edition book (which is sort of cool, as I like the format of the 6th ed book).

As for detachments/formations, it's worth simply reviewing the rules both in the rulebook from pg 118-122 and then on pg 71 of the Tau codex to understand how the Hunter Contingent works. Instead of restricting players to the old FOC chart (which is now the Combined Arms Detachment), they've given options to make armies play like they do in the fluff, which is awesome.

Cheers!

g0ndur
Shas

Post#20 » Feb 11 2016 06:52

Thanks again, but some formations in the Kauyun are not in the Codex (the marker drone net, for instance). Or am I mixing things together with Mont'ka...?

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Feb 11 2016 08:15

Probably mixing, the drone net is from Mont'ka.

g0ndur
Shas

Post#22 » Jul 21 2016 06:36

I have a new question regarding "breaking formations".

The codex states that the formation bubbles can overlap, meaning, a unit from e.g. Hunter Cadre can also be in the Firebase Support Cadre.

I currently run a 1850 p hunter cadre list with Firebase supp cadre and Infiltration cadre.
I realized after playing that the Inf C 4x Fast Attack slots "breaks" HC's 1-3 FA prerequisite.

Does that mean that either the HC or the Inf C is broken? Or just that one of the FA units from Inf C isn't a part of any formation...?

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jul 21 2016 08:58

No, no.
You got it all wrong.

A unit can't simply be of several formations. Each formation has a list of units that belongs to it and it alone and each formation requires it's own separate set of all units required.

HOWEVER. there are cases, such as the hunter contingent (not the cadre, mine you. Two different things) that are themselves made out of formations.

In THESE cases the unit in the "inner formation" keeps its own formation rules, and then piles on top of that the "super formation" rules, and practicaly belongs to both formations.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Jul 21 2016 09:14

To continue with boomwolf's explanation:

All circles are detachments. Black is a CAD, green is a simple Firebase Support Cadre.
The big red one is a Hunter Contingent, Tau's Decurion-style detachment. It's made of formations like a CAD is formed by units.

Notice that the Firebase Support Cadre inside the Hunter Contingent has a different color than the one outside. It's like that because both formations are different ones. Also, notice that all circles inside the big one don't have intersections. It's like that because no unit can be part of more than one detachment - and formations are detachments.

However, the Decurion-style detachments are formed by formations, so a unit is part of both Hunter Contingent and its base formation (let's say, Hunter Cadre). A unit cannot, on the other hand, be part of both Hunter Cadre and Firebase Support Cadre, either inside or outside a Hunter Contingent.

g0ndur
Shas

Post#25 » Jul 21 2016 10:08

Terminology... thanks for the clarifications.

jeffersonian000
Shas

Post#26 » Jul 27 2016 03:42

GW really needs to settle on a term for Decurion-style formations. I've been recommending "contingent" as a way to differentiate them.

SJ

budro
Shas

Post#27 » Aug 03 2016 05:42

Emagdnim wrote:I have used him a few times as part of the OSC.

Because he can't infiltrate or scout it means having the whole formation in your deployment or DS the entire thing. even with the amount of beacons I take thats a lot of room to find.

When I have started in deployment they tend to waste to waste the first turn due to being out of range of the fusions/bursts. turn two is either their big chance or the turn they get charged.I will soon have two 6 man stealth teams and two ghosts. That would mean either one big OSC or two minimum ones.With a beacon on each shas'vre (two per OSC ) and then my tetras etc it should be easy enough to get them into the right position on T2 for DS on the ghosts. Only worrying thing is passing the reserve roll. We don't have any tricks for that do we? like the Eldar Autrach. aegis and the special array on that? if only the control disc on tidwwall rampart did that xD

It's strange that ghosts can't infiltrate, but that's the rules. I generally deploy the ghosts on the line, then infiltrate the stealths forward and hidden. Then I'll move the ghosts up and Congo back a stealth if necessary to get within 6". That's if I don't get the warlord trait of infiltrate 3 units.

ribbie
Shas

Post#28 » Aug 19 2016 06:01

I'm using the Hunter Contigent and have got for example 3 units of 2 broadsides each with splitfire. If I shoot with only one model from each unit to target A and with each second model in the broadside unit to target B do i get the coordinate fire power +1BS for both targets, because I got two times 3 units shooting on one target? ( double coordinate power with 3 units)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Aug 19 2016 07:49

ribbie wrote:I'm using the Hunter Contigent and have got for example 3 units of 2 broadsides each with splitfire. If I shoot with only one model from each unit to target A and with each second model in the broadside unit to target B do i get the coordinate fire power +1BS for both targets, because I got two times 3 units shooting on one target? ( double coordinate power with 3 units)

Well firstly a unit can always only once profit from a formation bonus if i'm not completely mistaken, so no double coordinate fire power.
And the other thing...i'm not sure but i think that got mentioned in the draft FAQ (at work so i can't check).

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#30 » Aug 19 2016 07:52

ribbie wrote:I'm using the Hunter Contigent and have got for example 3 units of 2 broadsides each with splitfire. If I shoot with only one model from each unit to target A and with each second model in the broadside unit to target B do i get the coordinate fire power +1BS for both targets, because I got two times 3 units shooting on one target? ( double coordinate power with 3 units)

No. Coordinated Firepower happens only once per unit. The moment one of them wants to fire at a target, you must declare which target will be the one to suffer Coordinated Firepower - the other targets won't be affected in any way from the rule. You can repeat this for each unit that didn't participated in any previous Coordinated Firepower.

As a tip, you don't need Target Lock for every Broadside! You'd save 15p this way

ribbie
Shas

Post#31 » Aug 19 2016 08:04

Vector Strike wrote:

No. Coordinated Firepower happens only once per unit. The moment one of them wants to fire at a target, you must declare which target will be the one to suffer Coordinated Firepower - the other targets won't be affected in any way from the rule. You can repeat this for each unit that didn't participated in any previous Coordinated Firepower.

As a tip, you don't need Target Lock for every Broadside! You'd save 15p this way

Thanks! Yeah I know i don't need target locks on each model, I just said it in the wrong way :)

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#32 » Mar 05 2017 08:24

I'm running a Riptide Wing formation in my army roster...so in regards to this formation, it doesn't have a specific distance between units as to activate the riptide hailfire...so....

1. Can i put those 3 riptides on separate locations, say more than 20" of each other and still be able to use riptide hailfire rule?

2. If i deploy 2 riptide but put 1 in reserve, once i bring that 1 riptide from reserve, does this count that these 3 riptides still in 'riptide wing' formation?

3. If one of my riptide goes down (left with 2), can i still use riptide hailfire later if i have not used it yet?

Return to “Archival Datacore”