Formation units questions

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
g0ndur
Shas

Formation units questions

Post#1 » Dec 21 2015 03:55

Hi

I've searched the ATT but can't find answers to to questions regarding the new formations:

- when it says "units of X" within a formation, does it have to be full (maxed) units?
- for the Fire Team SR, when the codex says "3 units of monster creatures or vehicles", I assume that is 'units' = models within a formation?

Apologies for newbie questions, and thanks for replies in advance
/g

boomwolf
Shas'La

Re: Formation units questions

Post#2 » Dec 21 2015 03:59

Unless the formation specifically mentions required squad size, it may be any normally legal squad size.

As for fire team, it refers to models within squad, not formations.

g0ndur
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 21 2015 07:08

Thank you for clearing the first question up.

The second question remains: if the term is actually "units" for Fire Team SR - what am I missing? I might have been frozen for the past 3 years but when I was awake, MCs and GMCs (and Vehicles for that matter) could not form units...?

boomwolf
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 21 2015 07:51

They always could, but it was rare. Russ and carnifex were squads for years.

Nowdays it's more common, look at the unit entries and you'll see that in tau codex alone, riptides, ghostkneel, stormsurge, hammerhead and skyray can all have up to 3 squad members.

MC. Squad works just like infantry squad, tank squads have slightly different rules, check your rulebook for precise rules.

g0ndur
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 21 2015 08:27

Ahh, saw it now, "up to 3". Thanks.

g0ndur
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 31 2015 02:22

New questions:

1. Can the Coordinated Firepower rule be applied on several 3+ units shooting in a round? For instance; 2x Strike team and 1 Stealth shoot at a horde of Termagants while 2x Broadside units and a Riptide Shoot at a Carnifex. Can each separate shooting get the +1 BS?

1.1. Is the following scenario possible?
A Devilfish flats out with a full Strike Team first round. 2nd round it disembarks 12 Strike team and 2 Drones. The Devilfish, Drones and Strike team shoot at a Termagaunt unit and thus count as three separate units to receive the above buff?

2. While using the Infiltration Cadre and starting as 2nd player. If the opponent takes out one of the units, does it mean that your potential reserves arrive at your turn 1 or is it to be interpreted as 2nd turn always?

Many thanks in advance and - Happy New Tau Year!

Chris
Shas'La

Post#7 » Dec 31 2015 03:14

Hello,

Yes,

Yes,

And yes, at turn 1

g0ndur
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 31 2015 04:34

Thanks !

Emagdnim
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 20 2016 09:10

I am also not really up on formations, The new Tau ones are first ones I have used ( I am old fashioned) lol.

So,the stealth cadre (ghost/stealths).
Do they all have to be deployed together or deepstrike together?.

Want I am wanting to do is have the two stealth units infiltrate,then use the shas'vre's homing beacons to guide in my DS ghosts. Is that allowed?
" Blasphemy is a victimless crime"

Lippy777
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 20 2016 10:01

Haven't got my codex to hand but pretty sure the OSC benefits are based on the StealthTeams being 6"(or 12?") from the Ghostkeel. So you wouldn't benefit from the special rules until the Ghostkeel arrives but there's no rule that they must be deployed together.

Some of the formations do have deployment rules ie "All units must be held in reserve" or "only unit X should be deployed turn one".
Again, not got the codex to hand but I'm sure the OSC doesn't have such ruling.
Wargaming in South Wales:
Vale Renegades Website

Return to “Rules & FAQ”