Formation units questions

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
KuroRyu
Shas

Re: Formation units questions

Post#11 » Jan 20 2016 10:56

Emagdnim wrote:I am also not really up on formations, The new Tau ones are first ones I have used ( I am old fashioned) lol.

So,the stealth cadre (ghost/stealths).
Do they all have to be deployed together or deepstrike together?.

Want I am wanting to do is have the two stealth units infiltrate,then use the shas'vre's homing beacons to guide in my DS ghosts. Is that allowed?

This is perfectly legal, and a pretty good sounding strategy to boot.

One odd thing I found about the OSC is that the way I read wall of mirrors, the ghostkeel always gets wall of mirrors even when the stealthsuits are either not within 6" or dead. It's very strange from a logical point of view.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jan 20 2016 03:33

KuroRyu wrote:
Emagdnim wrote:I am also not really up on formations, The new Tau ones are first ones I have used ( I am old fashioned) lol.

So,the stealth cadre (ghost/stealths).
Do they all have to be deployed together or deepstrike together?.

Want I am wanting to do is have the two stealth units infiltrate,then use the shas'vre's homing beacons to guide in my DS ghosts. Is that allowed?

This is perfectly legal, and a pretty good sounding strategy to boot.

One odd thing I found about the OSC is that the way I read wall of mirrors, the ghostkeel always gets wall of mirrors even when the stealthsuits are either not within 6" or dead. It's very strange from a logical point of view.

My understanding of it is the same. The Ghostkeel, RAW, gets the ignores cover and +1BS at all times. The SSuit team gets that if they are within 6in. Perhaps there will be an FAQ or unofficial FAQ that states otherwise, but for now it makes sense as it is presented. No weird hoops to jump through.

As for deployment options, I have been tinkering with the idea of using Positional Relays to outflank SSuit teams if infiltration is not an option. This way my Ghostkeel stays on the board and can do work. I want him to have 100% game presence and not get screwed by fickle deepstrike dice gods.

Emagdnim
Shas

Post#13 » Jan 21 2016 10:36

I have used him a few times as part of the OSC.

Because he can't infiltrate or scout it means having the whole formation in your deployment or DS the entire thing. even with the amount of beacons I take thats a lot of room to find.

When I have started in deployment they tend to waste to waste the first turn due to being out of range of the fusions/bursts. turn two is either their big chance or the turn they get charged.I will soon have two 6 man stealth teams and two ghosts. That would mean either one big OSC or two minimum ones.With a beacon on each shas'vre (two per OSC ) and then my tetras etc it should be easy enough to get them into the right position on T2 for DS on the ghosts. Only worrying thing is passing the reserve roll. We don't have any tricks for that do we? like the Eldar Autrach. aegis and the special array on that? if only the control disc on tidwwall rampart did that xD
" Blasphemy is a victimless crime"

NoobPwner84
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jan 21 2016 10:57

You guys are indeed correct, in an OSC then the Ghosts always recieve wall of mirrors + 1 buff, as RAW it states that the stealths must be near a ghost model 6" to benefit, but states no vice versa situation for the Ghosts. This is why a full OSC Ghosts are superb. Possibly the best unit in the codex for reliable damage output (if you are in range - it can be easy for your opponent to step out of your 30" damage bubble).

On the other questions - the Stealths only get the benefit of a +1 BS from wall of mirrors if near a ghost but they don't have to be deployed within that distance or move with them. Indeed, if playing Maelstrom missions it may be beneficial to infiltrate or deep strike them.
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jan 21 2016 12:38

Don't forget you guys can screen your SSuits with your Ghostkeel giving your SSuits +3 cover in the open. ;D

g0ndur
Shas

Post#16 » Feb 08 2016 06:17

New... questions.

I honestly do not understand the difference between the Mont'ka and Kauyon. For Kauyon GW writes "don't buy the new codex - buy the Kauyon for the codex + more". I don't own it because duh, I bought the new codex and I though that would be enough.

Can I use the formations from Kauyon for my "regular" hunter contingent building...? And what about Mont'ka if I, say, would like to use the drone Net VX1-0 formation for my regular hunter contingent.
Or can't I?

Macknight
Shas'La

Post#17 » Feb 08 2016 07:40

g0ndur wrote:New... questions.

I honestly do not understand the difference between the Mont'ka and Kauyon. For Kauyon GW writes "don't buy the new codex - buy the Kauyon for the codex + more". I don't own it because duh, I bought the new codex and I though that would be enough.

Can I use the formations from Kauyon for my "regular" hunter contingent building...? And what about Mont'ka if I, say, would like to use the drone Net VX1-0 formation for my regular hunter contingent.
Or can't I?

there is a kauyon hunter contingent force of organization chart:
core: 1+ (hunter cadre)
auxiliary: 1-10 per core (optimized stealth cadre, retaliation cadre, allied advance cadre, firebase support cadre, drone network(1 unit of drones), air caste support cadre, assigned air caste asset(1 sunshark or razorshark), infiltration cadre, heavy retribution cadre, armor interdiction cadre)
command: 0-1 per core (1 commander or shadowsun, 0-1 ethereal or aunshi or aunva, 1-2 units of crisis bodyguard)

kauyon command benefits: ideal mission commander(reroll warlord trait), coordinate firepower

Montka FOC:
core: 1+ of (hunter cadre or retaliation cadre)
aux: 1-10 per core (counterstrike cadre, rapid insertion cadre, ranged support cadre, piranha firestream wing, firebase support cadre, skysweep missile defense, assign air caste(1 sunshark or razorshark), air superiority cadre, drone net, allied advance cadre)
command: 0-1 per core (1 commander or farsight with 1 crisis bodyguard unit) or (the eight)

montka command benefits: ideal mission commander(NOTE: they have different warlord trait tables), killing blow

NOTE: the etereal council, riptide wing, and ghostkeel wing belong to neither FOC

The kauyon book has the new unit rules, and updates over the older tau codex, the formations, tau terrain rules, white scar formations/warlord trait/signature items, same for raven guard.

The montka has IG formations/cadia warlord trait/sig items, updated IG superheavies, assassin rules, farsight enclaves formations/warlord traits/sig items.
For the greater good!

g0ndur
Shas

Post#18 » Feb 09 2016 03:08

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm not that interested in Farsight, but it sounds to me that I need to buy the Kauyon book to be sure. I think the main detachment is more expensive because of mandatory bonding knives, and thus I can't use my codex for cost distribution.

How GW does things these days is very confusing on several planes.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre

Post#19 » Feb 09 2016 10:46

g0ndur wrote:Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm not that interested in Farsight, but it sounds to me that I need to buy the Kauyon book to be sure. I think the main detachment is more expensive because of mandatory bonding knives, and thus I can't use my codex for cost distribution.

How GW does things these days is very confusing on several planes.

Eh, it's not that bad. If you've bought the 7th edition codex, you do not need to buy Kauyon. Unless you want to. They simply made Kauyon into an update for the 6th edition book (which is sort of cool, as I like the format of the 6th ed book).

As for detachments/formations, it's worth simply reviewing the rules both in the rulebook from pg 118-122 and then on pg 71 of the Tau codex to understand how the Hunter Contingent works. Instead of restricting players to the old FOC chart (which is now the Combined Arms Detachment), they've given options to make armies play like they do in the fluff, which is awesome.

Cheers!

g0ndur
Shas

Post#20 » Feb 11 2016 06:52

Thanks again, but some formations in the Kauyun are not in the Codex (the marker drone net, for instance). Or am I mixing things together with Mont'ka...?

Return to “Rules & FAQ”