Intervening models and cover saves

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Panzer
Shas'La

Re: Intervening models and cover saves

Post#11 » Jul 04 2016 12:21

Ricordis wrote:#5 Is not fully answered.
Ok, I handle intervening models like terrain: If it obscures my model by at least 25% I get my cover save.
But the BRB says that strange thing with the gaps which puts my model in cover even if completely visible.
No 25% needed. Why am I then in need of it if there is phisically an interfering model?
=> No 25% needed in any case => Riptide behind Firewarriors get a Cover Save

But this simply seems dumb to me.

Way to "fix" this would be to imagine a model from the interfering unit standing in the gap. This sounds logically to me as the narrative would tell us the soldiers are in movement yadda yadda...
But I don't know how to convince my opponent if he doesn't share my opinion.
What rule or wording can i quote/show him?

The same ones you just referred to. If it's the rule it's the rule even if it sounds dumb. How you explain it to yourself to make sense is just some fluff-reasoning which doesn't matter at all when it comes to the rules. No 'fixing' needed. It's also not about opinions either if you want to clarify a rules question. Check the BRB and do what it says. If you don't like it house rule it.

Ricordis
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jul 04 2016 08:16

So you say the XV88 from #5 gets his cover save and a Riptide behind Firewarriors also?

I'm sorry I'm so stubborn about this but this rule is so strange I'm not sure who's the dumb one: Me or the rule :D

pilky
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jul 04 2016 09:26

Yes, the XV88 gets the cover save because the Hammerheads are a unit so you're firing through a unit. If they were two separate units then it would depend on whether the XV88 is obscured from the point of view of any model in the firing unit (you only need one firing model to grant you cover for you to get cover from every shot from the firing unit).

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jul 04 2016 10:06

Well the rules say
and

which is pretty clear to me RAW.
- Check Line of Sight of your shooting unit
- is the body of the target at least 25% behind something? -> 5+ Cover save
- if there is a third unit inbetween you can't shoot over to hit the target? -> 5+ Cover save (intervening models passage says "through the gaps between the models of the intervening unit" and says it does not count for shots that go over that unit)

That's it. So it basically always is the case for infantry when a third unit is inbetween but as soon as the shooting unit or the target is really tall (like Riptides or a Stormsurge) or on a higher place the target might not get a cover save from intervening models.
It's a very clear formulated rule imo.

So yes the unit behind the Hammerheads would get the cover save and no the unit the Riptide shoots at wouldn't get the cover save because it's clearly big enough to shoot over the third unit. To be 100% save just check LoS.

Rathstar
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jul 05 2016 08:58

Edit: Just realised I read your sentence wrong, and thought you said a unit shooting at a riptide behind a unit would not get a cover save. Ignore me now :(

Almost, I agree with all except your example of a riptide behind an normal infantry sized model. The quoted text is that "If the model is PARTIALLY obscured...". A riptide would be about 8-10% obscured maybe, and would get a cover save. For the rule about firing over an intervening unit is if you can see the whole model clearly (without it being partially oscured). Otherwise you could shoot a marine over a guardsmen saying I can shoot over the shorter guardsmen. If you were on a hill so could see all of the marine clearly (also without going through a gap in the guardsmen unit)

It doesn't have much effect on Riptides or Stormsurges (which have or are likely to have a inv save) but does effect carnifexes advancing in/behind a swarm of gaunts for example.

The rule is to reflect that the firer is distracted by the closer unit as well as the chance they miss their shot. Quote of the next paragraph of the rulebook: "A successful cover save in this case might mean that the firer has not shot at all, missing the fleeting moment when the target was in its sights. This is because, in the case of intervening friends, the firer would be afraid of hitting his comrades, while in the case of intervening enemies, the firer is distracted by the more immediate threat."

That my opinion anyway.

Rathstar

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#16 » Jul 05 2016 09:13

Well since it's all about the actual body of the target model in the part "Determining Cover Saves" i'd go with whether the body is obscured or not for the "Intervening Models" part as well. It only makes sense. Now it depends on what you actually see as the body. I for one wouldn't count the arms and legs and that would be a Riptide wouldn't get the cover save behind most infantry sized units. Of course it all depends on the angle and distance of shooting unit and where exactly the intervening unit is standing but that's why you have to check LoS for each model seperately RAW.

Rathstar
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jul 05 2016 09:30

The rulebook defines the body as including heads, arms and legs:

Under Determining Cover Saves: "If, when you come to allocate a Wound, the target model’s body (see General Principles)"

Under the General Principles: "For one model to have line of sight to another, you must be able to trace a straight, unblocked line from its body (the head, torso, arms or legs) to any part of the target’s body"

From this I would consider the Riptide's "body" to be partially obscured by infantry in front and would get it's cover save. it would probably use its inv save anyway, but it helps other monstrous creatures.

Rathstar

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#18 » Jul 05 2016 09:41

Oh i see, i missed that. Yeah well then the Riptide would basically always GET the cover save unless he or the shooting unit is on higher terrain. Whether the target of a Riptide would get the cover save however would still depend on the LoS. If the intervening infantry unit is close to the shooting Riptide he wouldn't have much troubles getting a clear view of his target.

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#19 » Dec 21 2016 07:13

Hi,

would like to join the topic with the simillar question, as I'm already looking for solution to avoid Jink and so snapshots next turn.

1. Does it (Intervening Models rule) mean that if I will detach Drones from Hammerhead and put them upfront, then anyone who will shoot through Drones or through gap between Drones will grant me 5+ Cover?

2. Do you already know if something like that (drones between enemy and vehicle) could already help with protection against Charge?

Ricordis
Shas'La

Post#20 » Dec 21 2016 10:41

I think vehicles still have to be at least 25% obscured.
So 2 drones alone wont work.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”