Tau FAQ (official first draft)

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
fraction64
Shas'Saal
Posts: 177

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#55 » Aug 19 2016 12:58

Well I guess we'll see if they end up limiting us come the final FAQ. If the wording on that answer ends up the same as in the current necron one then it will effect us too. It is quite likely a rules change but it is possible it's something they want to do.
It is something that started with the first 7th edition codex with orks and kept popping up in every codex up to our own but we were the only codex to be updated but still use our entire previous 6th edition codex.
Again we'll have to wait and see but it is a possibility.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 2853

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#56 » Aug 19 2016 04:16

Of course it is a possibility. That's the reason why we are talking about it. :D

AlmostMercury
Shas
Posts: 78

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#57 » Aug 19 2016 10:08

fraction64 wrote:Well I guess we'll see if they end up limiting us come the final FAQ. If the wording on that answer ends up the same as in the current necron one then it will effect us too. It is quite likely a rules change but it is possible it's something they want to do.
It is something that started with the first 7th edition codex with orks and kept popping up in every codex up to our own but we were the only codex to be updated but still use our entire previous 6th edition codex.
Again we'll have to wait and see but it is a possibility.


There is a clear pattern that artefacts and relics are meant to be used only one per model. But, our "relics" are still signature systems which are still distinct from artefacts and relics.

Will this change in the next codex? Maybe, could be, but no one at this point is doing it wrong and having the C&CN and MSS specifically say they can be used at the same time indicates that they are intentionally used the way they are currently.

Panzer wrote:Since the FAQ ruin walls are impassable terrain.


Well, that certainly contradicts the BRB so we'll have to wait and see how that draft ruling plays out. I wouldn't say ruin walls are impassable *yet*

User avatar
shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 964
Contact:

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#58 » Aug 19 2016 02:00

fraction64 wrote:Well I guess we'll see if they end up limiting us come the final FAQ. If the wording on that answer ends up the same as in the current necron one then it will effect us too. It is quite likely a rules change but it is possible it's something they want to do.

I strongly suspect it is. This is the format they developed in Age of Sigmar for artefacts, where you have a list and each character can (explicitly) only get one.

Cheers!

User avatar
Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 324

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#59 » Aug 21 2016 11:51

shasocastris wrote:
fraction64 wrote:Well I guess we'll see if they end up limiting us come the final FAQ. If the wording on that answer ends up the same as in the current necron one then it will effect us too. It is quite likely a rules change but it is possible it's something they want to do.

I strongly suspect it is. This is the format they developed in Age of Sigmar for artefacts, where you have a list and each character can (explicitly) only get one.

Cheers!


But this is not Age of Sigmar. It's a different game.
While I'm not saying it might not be the case that they make the change, I am just saying that the reason to believe they will, because: "Sigmar did it!", is waylaid to be honest.

It would be like arguing we get to make armor saves AND then invulnerable saves because that's how they do in Fantasy ;)
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

genISD
Shas
Posts: 41

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#60 » Aug 21 2016 01:43

Until it's in Tau FAQ it doesn't concern us - FAQed codex is lex specialis for Rulebook. Lex specialis derogat legi generali. (there are also some variantions with lex posterior but that's not the case).

fraction64
Shas'Saal
Posts: 177

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#61 » Aug 21 2016 02:19

On the issue of ruins being impassable I thought that contradicted the BRB too until I tried to find the rule about going through them. I cannot find it anymore. It was in the 6th ed BRB but it's nowhere to be found in 7th.

Oh and there are no invuln saves in fantasy anymore. Closet they come is FNP style quasi saves.
We'll have to wait a good month or so before we see final drafts released like AoS but I expect few changes (though probably a few important clarifications. ) if the BRB faq is clarified this way it will apply to our codex even if they don't add it too the tau one.

AlmostMercury
Shas
Posts: 78

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#62 » Aug 21 2016 08:45

fraction64 wrote:On the issue of ruins being impassable I thought that contradicted the BRB too until I tried to find the rule about going through them. I cannot find it anymore. It was in the 6th ed BRB but it's nowhere to be found in 7th.

Oh and there are no invuln saves in fantasy anymore. Closet they come is FNP style quasi saves.
We'll have to wait a good month or so before we see final drafts released like AoS but I expect few changes (though probably a few important clarifications. ) if the BRB faq is clarified this way it will apply to our codex even if they don't add it too the tau one.


"MOVING THROUGH TERRAIN
As part of their move, models can move through, up or over any terrain they encounter, unless the terrain is noted as being impassable"

Movement Section p.21

fraction64
Shas'Saal
Posts: 177

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#63 » Aug 22 2016 10:04

That is different from the old rules which mentioned ruins specifically. I believe that they assume walls are solid now based on the faq. So the part about moving over them would work. So if the wall was less than 6 you could climb up it.
But yeah old rule was very different.

AlmostMercury
Shas
Posts: 78

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#64 » Aug 23 2016 10:22

There's no need to mention ruins specifically if it counts as a piece of terrain. They discuss buildings explicitly, and if you want ruins to function differently than terrain you say so. Otherwise there's no reason for a player to believe it makes any difference whatsoever.

The FAQ question is ambiguous. It could mean that the Shrine, while described as a ruin, still functions as a building. Or, it could mean that ruins are meant to function as buildings. We don't know.

User avatar
azlanpower
Shas'Saal
Posts: 87
Contact:

Re: Tau FAQ (offial first draft)

Post#65 » Mar 08 2017 12:32

Das'Kyman wrote:Who honestly thought that a Riptide could shoot two different targets due to the multi-tracker?


Wait a moment....Riptide cannot shoot 2 different target in one shooting phase....only Stormsurge coz its a freakin' Gargantuan so it can target multiple units with each of its weapons...

Riptide can shoot at 2 different target only if riptide hailfire activated which gives it and any riptides in the RW formations 2 shooting phase that turn hence 1 target for 1st shooting and then can change target in the 2nd shooting phase

Return to “Archival Datacore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests