Tau FAQ (official first draft)

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#1 » Jul 13 2016 11:58

So we finally have the first draft FAQ for Tau. Lots of clarifications we've been waiting for (still missing the 'Relic' problem though)

Noteable stuff is the re-wording of the Coordinated Firepower rule. No "shoot as one unit" anymore so RIP Buff'O and Fireblade i guess.
Farsight Enclave Riptides can indeed take the Earth Caste Pilot Array.
If a Storm Surge uses his anchors on a Tidewall the Tidewall can't move either.
The Firestream Wing can go into Ongoing Reserves the same turn it arrives and even if they are immobilized (and re-stocks even destroyed Piranhas of a unit).

[spoiler=]Image[/spoiler]

Thoughts?

Edit: Mh the spoiler function kinda fails to work it seems. Would be better if it decreases the size of the post as well as in other forums. :(
Last edited by Panzer on Jul 13 2016 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

walrusman
Shas

Re: Tau FAQ (offial first draft)

Post#2 » Jul 13 2016 12:02

Personally I am happy with most of the clarifications. This way people will stop complaining about "well I don't think it works that way" or "it can't possibly work that way".

I'm happy with the clarifications on:
  • Coordinated Firepower
  • Markerlights + Declaring Jink
  • Piranha Firestorm unit rules
  • Supporting Fire
  • And generally all of it, though most didn't directly apply to my typical lists.

Regarding the Relic issue:
I believe that's because the question was posed after the other FAQs came out. They might not be taking into account questions from the FAQs yet. I expect it will be handled during the official FAQs as opposed to the "first draft".

One might be able to argue that the question about them being limited to "one per army" clarifies it because the one per model limit was omitted.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 13 2016 01:08

ML got a buff, it ignores the VSG, possible to buff BS vs invisible units. Sad to see the CFP addressed, but it is the right call.
For the greater good!

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jul 13 2016 01:10

One of the big ones that I noticed was the clarification on the M3S and CCN. They specifically say that it will work during the Intercept Phase. The applications aren't huge since most players these days are getting their intercept defense from Riptides+Stormsurge+Drone Net. However, crisis teams are just a little bit better with the EWO now.

Also, the snap-firing vehicles can once again unload Seeker Missiles at BS5 against ground targets (unless it has skyfire). Again, not huge, but piranhas can be used to move up 12" and hit side armour on some stuff again. (nothing like the days of old when they could move Flat-Out and have the seekers fired for them, but still...) and a Jinking Skyray isn't entirely useless if you have markerlights elsewhere in your list.

I honestly didn't know about the Riptide firing Ordnance clarification. It makes sense, I just never realized that was a rule.

Who honestly thought that a Riptide could shoot two different targets due to the multi-tracker?

walrusman
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 13 2016 01:16

I started another thread regarding the Piranha Firestream ruling, does anyone know if the drones deployed by a vehicle counts towards the formation the vehicle came from?

Examples:
Piranha Firestream formation deployed drones get bonus of +1 while shooting at desired unit?
Drones from an armored Interdiction cadre receive +1 bs while shooting at units in the declared 6", while deployed?

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 13 2016 01:28

I must admit, this is far more extensive than I had anticipated. most of these questions never even crossed my mind at all.

Dawn blade contingent not applying outside of it is an obvious thing, but so many people weasled around it.

Skysweep actually doing something is nice.

ECPA available to riptides again! YES! no other signature systems though, some could have been fun, but I'll take what I get. (puretide chip and neuroweb jammers on riptides could have been awesome)

The Eight. not a fan of the change.

Firestorm, oh my. it actually DOES work that way? I mean, its as it was written, but always felt as if the writing is a mistake.

Skywatch not coming on turn 1. bummer. oh well, not like I had any of those anyway.

Networked stealth field interactions with terrain-specific terrain is interesting.

Split fire markerlights not actually getting the bonus. was rather obvious, but good to have it spelt out.

Markerlights and jink, always played it the other way around. this will sure help against my common necron foe.

Storm of fire and pulse blasters actually works in the nasty way. return of the fish of fury?

Supporting fire flamers are always a good laugh. other armies can pull similar dumb overwatches with huge units, but nobody can quite match the sheer "utter nonsense" value of tau flamer overwatch.

Holophotons get multiple uses in a squad. HELL YEA. now just to get another ghost :P (not really exited doing that conversion again would be a nightmare, and I can't have them not match...)

These are the points I found most interesting.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 13 2016 01:30

I am happy to see that GW finally got around to doing an FAQ for the game. Just a few months ago I was joking how they never update the rules on their game. Happy to be proven wrong here.

Glad some of these rule conflicts are finally put to rest.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 13 2016 02:18

page 7 question 1...is GW serious?

a rhino runs over a stormsurge and strips all its wounds....hahahaha

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jul 13 2016 02:31

Bolter&Rail wrote:page 7 question 1...is GW serious?

The issue is that tank shot rules state that the model that is getting hit has to move out of the way (or do death or glory), but the Stormsurge cannot since it is immobile with the anchors deployed. The rules also state that a model that is unable to move out of the way is removed from the game (so if you're boxed in...splat). They could have figured out a way to make it work, but they also like to keep things simple-ish.

I think it's rather silly. If a Stormsurge gets hit like that it should do D3 wounds or something, but that would involve more rules and potentially more confusion than is necessary. It's easier to just have the Stormsurge die in this case.

However, this also means that it is possible to tank shock other GMC as well. If you can box them in (not likely), you could tank shock them.

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 13 2016 02:40

Ya I know ITC just rules they do D3 wounds per the "Unstoppable" rule and the tank stops directly in front of the Stormsurge. This makes sense to me and I doubt many players will insist the Stomsurge gets removed from play...

Overall quite a few things that fell in favor of the Tau in my opinion. The infinite drone/piranha loop is pretty aggressive and don't see that being fun to play against...

abraxus
Shas

Post#11 » Jul 13 2016 02:44

Bolter&Rail wrote:page 7 question 1...is GW serious?

yeah, I had to roll my eyes at that. Normal tank should be 1D3, Superheavy I can see as they have FAQ'd, but oh well.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jul 13 2016 02:46

Bolter&Rail wrote:Ya I know ITC just rules they do D3 wounds per the "Unstoppable" rule and the tank stops directly in front of the Stormsurge. This makes sense to me and I doubt many players will insist the Stomsurge gets removed from play...

Overall quite a few things that fell in favor of the Tau in my opinion. The infinite drone/piranha loop is pretty aggressive and don't see that being fun to play against...
This is why I generally follow ITC rules when I play with friends. It's nice to see GW FAQ their own stuff finally. ITC FAQ exists mainly because GW didn't update their FAQs.

However, GWs rules are not always "best for the game". Like with any tournament for any game, certain rules have to be adjusted as needed. Stormsurge being crunched in tank shot might be overturned for ITC, but I doubt it. It's not a big enough issue IMO, and you'll likely never see yourself stuck in that position and not realize it.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#13 » Jul 13 2016 02:53

I think for me the most interesting part of the FAQ is the part about homing beacon use. So log as it shows up before the unit that's benefiting from it, you can use it. That means I could deep strike both a unit of Stealth suits and crisis suits in the same turn, but just make sure I place the stealth unit first, then the crisis unit. Interesting indeed since I just made a list the other day working around multiple stealth teams with homing beacons coordinating with a Retaliation Cadre.... Thank you GW!

Czar Ziggy

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jul 13 2016 03:31

Czar Ziggy wrote:I think for me the most interesting part of the FAQ is the part about homing beacon use. So log as it shows up before the unit that's benefiting from it, you can use it. That means I could deep strike both a unit of Stealth suits and crisis suits in the same turn, but just make sure I place the stealth unit first, then the crisis unit. Interesting indeed since I just made a list the other day working around multiple stealth teams with homing beacons coordinating with a Retaliation Cadre.... Thank you GW!

Czar Ziggy

That was one of the obvious ones.

However, there is no stealth team in a retaliation cadre. so no way to assure the stealths hit T2.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jul 13 2016 03:40

I agree. The homing beacon one was pretty obvious but still nice to have clarification. Especially since I plan to use the Infiltration Cadre. :P

aracerssx
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jul 13 2016 04:15

they forgot to mention if either of the tidewall sections counts as an area of open ground, for the purpose of activating the DS8 Tactical Support Turret, when a fire warrior squad embarks on them ...

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#17 » Jul 13 2016 09:15

Finally, our bombers are equipped with a bomb!

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Jul 14 2016 01:19

By the way, this is what an official rules clarification looks like. Someone PMing you saying their German codex says it this way or an email response from a GW employee does not constitute a rule clarification. Anyone that attempts to use such a thing as evidence should be laughed out of the thread.

It's funny because both of those things happened a few months ago and they were not taken with a grain of salt as they should have been. I know that ATT strives to have the highest form of content possible. The Rules of Engagement should also say that GW emails and hearsay is not a substitute for rules clarifications. I don't know how you can expect to have a decent conversation when people are using those kind of things as evidence for their rule discussions.

It's even more delicious now the the FAQ is out and both of those points of evidence are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far out there. Seriously, have a gander at them.

[spoiler=Such solid evidence and from the rules team! Totally not fake.]Image[/spoiler]

Some Random German Translation wrote:I think what we are focusing on here isn't the distinction between "a single unit" and as "if they're a single unit". It's the resolving shots part.

If the rules mean what you think they mean, the rules would say "Units who may still shoot can add to the unit's firepower, these units become a single unit for the rest of the shooting phase." Or something similar.

It doesn't say that though, it says they resolve shots like a single unit meaning they don't become a single unit, their shots are just resolved together.

Both of these things were taken as gospel truth to continue the discussion in that direction. It impeded the discussion, not only in the rules section, but also in the Tactics and Cadre sections because people were then building lists and talking strategies with the wrong interpretation in mind.
Last edited by AnonAmbientLight on Jul 14 2016 01:22, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Archival Datacore”