Tau FAQ (official first draft)

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tau FAQ (offial first draft)

Post#21 » Jul 14 2016 06:14

Panzer wrote:
Kakapo42 wrote:One thing I don't see addressed that I was wishing they'd fix is the option to include Skyrays as part of a Hunter Cadre formation. To this day I have no idea why Skyrays are not listed as an option for Hunter Cadres, while Hammerheads (and just about every other non-auxiliary Tau unit) are. Is the facebook discussion for these still open? I may have to mention it there.

Probably the same reason why we can't take Darkstrider in a Hunter Contingent or Dawn Blade Contingent......there is none. They just decided they don't want them to be available and we have to deal with it.

Actually, there is a very good reason for both, and amazingly for GW its actually balance reason.

Skyrays are a minor offender, but with networked markerlights shold they coordinate with large number of other units, you can very easily get army-wide BS5 ignore cover, and coordination into networked markers will make our entire army be an AA platform with no additional cost. they will simply drop their entire load T1 without any thought, and then "just" be a global buffer unit to give your coordination abilities overwhelming power.
Sure you CAN get multiple skyrays yet, but this also requires a heavy tank investment, so its not quite as quick and easy. 1 skyray suqad for every 3 hammerhead squads is easy to control, but up to 3 skyray suqads in just the core would spin completely out of hand. that's also part of why they allowed dawn blade to have easy skyray spam (just a devilfish for every 3 skyray teams)-without coordination they are not that bad.

Darkstrider however, with coordinated firepower is outright bonkers. the main thing that limits his sigsys from being OP (and in fact keeps him being rather UP and overcosted) is the fact he is limited to being in a team with only fire warrior and pathfinders, and these are neither very big, nor pack too much punch.
Stick him in a contingent? suddenly he can, even if merely snapshooting, allow your hammerheads to ID most MCs in the game, heck even our easy S7 spam completely wreck MCs in general. Even deathstars will crumble when you get army wide -1T against them. there is no protection, no stopping it, and no counterplay other than hoping you can gun him down before he makes a measly snapshot.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Jul 14 2016 07:14

That would be an explanation for the hunter contingent but not for the dawn blade contingent though.
Also they could just have made an errata for his T debuff counting only for his unit since they actually removed the whole "shoots as one unit" part of the hunter contingent.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jul 14 2016 08:19

Panzer wrote:That would be an explanation for the hunter contingent but not for the dawn blade contingent though.
Also they could just have made an errata for his T debuff counting only for his unit since they actually removed the whole "shoots as one unit" part of the hunter contingent.

The dawn blade has easy skyrays.
And no drakstrider, because he isn't a FSE character.

As for errataing his T debuff, they could. but wouldn't he just be weird then? A specific exception for his rule effecting only when he is taking in a formation and basically says "don't take him in this formation"

The fact the post-errata change to the coordinated firepower removes the glaring exploit we had there means he would be fine now to take the place of the fireblade or something, but adding an option to the formation is not something that an FAQ tends to do. perhaps in the next edition he'll be added to the hunter cadre, unless he finds a home in another formation first.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Jul 14 2016 08:27

boomwolf wrote:
Panzer wrote:That would be an explanation for the hunter contingent but not for the dawn blade contingent though.

And no drakstrider, because he isn't a FSE character.

Eh that argument doesn't really count. You can take Shadowsun in a FSE detachment and Farsight in a regular Tau Empire list as well.
Let's just face it. There is no proper explanation. I just wanted to give an example of how things exist we just have to deal with without a real reason to exist.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Jul 14 2016 08:34

You can take either in a detachment belonging to the other
But you cant get them in each other's contingent, can you?

Not putting him in was a right decision back at the time. he would have been OP in the hunter contingent and he does not belong in the dawn blade.

Adding him now, is not something that the FAQ team should be doing. therefor they didn't. its up for the rules team now, and as we know they don't just update things unless there is a real need. so until new tau content will arrive, he won't be in a formation.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Jul 14 2016 08:44

I feel we are missing eachothers point so i suggest to drop this here. It's a bit offtopic anyway. :D

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Jul 14 2016 09:19

boomwolf wrote:Darkstrider however, with coordinated firepower is outright bonkers. the main thing that limits his sigsys from being OP (and in fact keeps him being rather UP and overcosted) is the fact he is limited to being in a team with only fire warrior and pathfinders, and these are neither very big, nor pack too much punch.
Stick him in a contingent? suddenly he can, even if merely snapshooting, allow your hammerheads to ID most MCs in the game, heck even our easy S7 spam completely wreck MCs in general. Even deathstars will crumble when you get army wide -1T against them. there is no protection, no stopping it, and no counterplay other than hoping you can gun him down before he makes a measly snapshot.

The Errata clears up the Coordinated Firepower rule: units shooting at the same time only share markerlights (and a +1BS if there is at least three participating units). No more of this "shooting as a single unit" crap so unit-wide special rules no longer transfer, thank goodness.

But you can still use him on a gunrig to instakill MCs with very high accuracy. And he still allows his Fire Warrior friends to instakill T3 characters. One of my favorite HQ options.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#28 » Jul 14 2016 09:29

Yea, I love him too. despite how impractical he is without a gunrig (that I don't have and don't really want)
Even converted one of my own (didn't quite like the model)

Too bad he isn't in the contingents though, can't get myself to pass them out, and R'alai already takes the spot of my CAD commander to bring the tetras.

Can't ever have enough points for all the silly things I want to bring to the table XD

Back to the pure topic.

Has the skysweep gain any real value thanks to the errata? being able to move 12 and shoot a full BS payload seems like it might be nice to get some clean side shots.

And is the seeker missile upgrade suddenly worth it now that it is clear that marker-seeker is a BS5 shot regardless of whatever other movement or shooting the carrier has been doing?

aracerssx
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Jul 14 2016 10:24

is it consider an area of open ground, where you embark your support turret, on any of the tidewall sections? ... was a bit confused if this needed clarification or not

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#30 » Jul 14 2016 10:32

I don't see why you should have to deploy it on the Tidewall. However it becomes interesting when it comes to moving the Tidewall. Yes the turret gets destroyed if you move too far away from it with the rest of the unit but the FAQ says you can't move it when not the whole unit is on it so RAW you can't move it as long as the turret is not on the Tidewall as well which feels pretty weird imo.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#31 » Jul 15 2016 10:59

boomwolf wrote:Yea, I love him too. despite how impractical he is without a gunrig (that I don't have and don't really want)
Even converted one of my own (didn't quite like the model)

Too bad he isn't in the contingents though, can't get myself to pass them out, and R'alai already takes the spot of my CAD commander to bring the tetras.

Can't ever have enough points for all the silly things I want to bring to the table XD

A CAD allows for 2 HQ slots...

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#32 » Jul 15 2016 12:17

Yea, but once I've got an OTC and retaliation cadre already, points don't quite allow two silly HQ picks.

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Jul 15 2016 02:56

I like most of the FAQ they answered most of the questions that people had, the only one that I see as very unusual is the Stormsurge ruling, it seems odd that it would lose all of its wounds. The rest of them make sense.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#34 » Jul 15 2016 06:26

I like how the FAQ cleared pretty much up and it doesn't have that big impact I was afraid of.
Did anyone actually had to change any lists or general tactics after being FAQed?

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#35 » Jul 16 2016 01:32

Ricordis wrote:I like how the FAQ cleared pretty much up and it doesn't have that big impact I was afraid of.
Did anyone actually had to change any lists or general tactics after being FAQed?

The return of the ECPA Riptide is about all for me. Most competitive players use Riptide Wing so it is not worth the points to them (probably).

If I had more Skyrays I would definitely be tempted by the Skysweep Missile Defence now - a full 12" move followed by shooting all the missiles at full BS is pretty good. Markerlights got a lot better with Seeker Missiles which I feel also helps the Skyray; moving or jinking does not negate the BS5 Seeker shot anymore.

Piranha Firestream really does do exactly what its rules appeared to say it does. Personally I think the sweet spot here is units of 2-4 skimmers that are frustratingly hard to finish off and keep coming back at full strength - a really effective skirmish force.

If I was in the mood to go out and buy models right now it would be Piranhas and Skyrays. I do feel like mechanised Tau are in a slightly better place after this FAQ.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#36 » Jul 16 2016 02:01

Yea, I'm tempted to buy some phiranas now.

But given that I still have three broadsides, a second ghostkeel and some stormsurge conversion parts on the pipe, and way too big of an army anyhow-I don't see it happening soon.

The ECPA is the big ticket.
Sure, wing players wouldn't care. but I don't wing, I got one riptide that is taking point in my retaliation cadre. and I very much prefer a dakkatide to an iontide in terms of style. (and the dakkatide used to be my AA until Montka broke the ECPA)

Still won't use the skysweep. I understand its decent now, I just detest skyrays. I'm a hameerhead kind of guy.

thezanji
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#37 » Aug 03 2016 12:04

Talking about The Eight, anyone understand the logic behind their new rule? since Ob'lotai has no deep strike, this means they must start the game on the table? does farsight's Warlord traits becomes useless? am I missing something?

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#38 » Aug 03 2016 01:17

thezanji wrote:Talking about The Eight, anyone understand the logic behind their new rule? since Ob'lotai has no deep strike, this means they must start the game on the table? does farsight's Warlord traits becomes useless? am I missing something?

I believe it also said they are all IC, they can start the game to form units or not, simply leave the broadside on the table.
For the greater good!

Return to “Archival Datacore”